Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers jailed for attacking Gardai

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

92 convictions. Just think about that for a second.

I only personally know two people who have one conviction.

this is one

x

this is 92

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xx

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

92 previous convictions how is that even possible?

How can you be walking around in public at the age of 22 with 92 convictions to your name.

It's pure contempt for the law and for society.

The best place for it is in a box under the ground.

The judge is sending them back out to commit further crimes. He knows it. He knows there's no chance of it being reformed.

I don't know how they sleep at night knowing that, but I suppose it's a bit easier to sleep in a big gaff in leafy Rathgar, away from it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Would you?

Yes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

tom_k wrote: »
    I believe it's illegal when it's indirect too. I know several employers across different industries who would, have and do employ suitably qualified travellers.

We may as well agree to disagree on this.

Yes indirect discrimination is illegal too. I'm not saying every employer would refuse to hire travellers. What I am saying is that in society it is generally acceptable to discriminate against travellers and that they would face a significant amount of discrimination in trying to access employment.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

catallus wrote: »
    Like the ones about how about 10% die before they're 2 years of age?

The endemic unemployment through laziness?

The escalated suicide rate?

The abominable poverty rate?

The third-world life-expectancy?

fixed that for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

SameDiff wrote: »
    92 convictions. Just think about that for a second.

I only personally know two people who have one conviction.

this is one

x

this is 92

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xx

Ah yeah, but he's changed now......he's an X offender!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I'm always amused at the amount of outrage any Traveller thread attracts.

I wonder how much direct interaction posters have had with a member of the Traveller community in the past 12 months - reading stories in the media doesn't count, I'm talking about a direct interaction.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say for the vast majority the answer is 'none'.

Yet, the hysterical reaction to any Traveller crime can be relied upon. The media know the public are programmed to act in a Pavlovian fashion the minute the word 'Traveller' is mentioned - they know exactly what buttons to push.

The reality is that the Traveller population in Ireland is tiny and the problems created by Travellers is miniscule.

Not that you'd know that from reading threads like this, where it seems we can lay the blame for all society's ills at the door of a tiny sub-section of our population.

History has shown us that this is truly a dangerous path to embark upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not that you'd know that from reading threads like this, where it seems we can lay the blame for all society's ills at the door of a tiny sub-section of our population.

Wow was that an attempt to equate discrimination of travellers with the holocaust? Cus just wow......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The truth is that an overwhelming proportion of the effort needed to improve the lot of travellers lies with travellers themselves. They make up 0.5% of the population. At least 80% live on social welfare plus "supplementary" income. The burden if responsibility must be with this community themselves. The are almost entirely carried by the settled community in financial terms. A lot of the time advocacy groups luke pavee point do the community a disservice by failing to ostracise trouble makers.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Wow was that an attempt to equate discrimination of travellers with the holocaust? Cus just wow......

Not equate.

But, I'd urge anyone to read the book 'Hitler's Willing Executioners' by Daniel Johan Goldhagan on how a societies fears and prejudices about a tiny sub-section of the population was stoked and manipulated.

Not equate.

But, I'd urge anyone to read the book 'Hitler's Willing Executioners' by Daniel Johan Goldhagan on how a societies fears and prejudices about a tiny sub-section of the population was stoked and manipulated.
    People don't want travellers to be exterminated, they just want them to stop committing such a ridiculously disproportionate amount of crime and to make an effort to contribute to the society they are more than happy to take from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

eviltwin wrote: »
    And I can show you halting sites that are little more than dumps. How many still live in caravans?

As you did not answer the all travellers question I assume that means not ALL travellers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Any fair minded person can see that the time has come for a rational examination of the failure of the Irish criminal justice system. That means no hiding behind political parties or ideologies or professions or social class: it doesn't mean the usual Irish procedure of a cabal of like minded individuals deciding what the problem is and what the solution is and then pretending to go through a process of investigation. It does mean that the states first duty is to protect its citizens. If the state is incapable or unwilling to do that then that right returns to the citizens who loaned it to the state in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Not equate.

Then let's compare.

Irish Travellers recieve massive financial support from the state even though criminality is still sadly rife within their communities. German Jews were massively discriminated against and robbed by their state for years before the Holocaust even began despite being overwhelming law abiding.

No valid comparison can be made to the treatment of any minority in Ireland today and the treatment of minorities in Nazi Germany.

In fact, to make such ignorant comparisons is an insult to those who suffered under Nazi brutality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

If the state is incapable or unwilling to do that then that right returns to the citizens who loaned it to the state in the first place.

aaaand Padraig Nally references in

three
    two
    one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Oul art da balla outta dat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I love stories about travellers.

Me too. I read one blog by a lad who cycled all around Europe on a High Nelly.

• Advertisement

DeadHand wrote: »

In fact, to make such ignorant comparisons is an insult to those who suffered under Nazi brutality.

Yawn

- must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    I'm getting real sick of them and developing an intense hatred of them, all of em.

Come on, what do Manchester United have to do with this? :pac:

Yawn

- must try harder.

Ehm...you're the one drawing ridiculous comparisons between modern day travellers in Ireland and the holocaust. ...yawn indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Hoop66

tastyt wrote: »
    Jesus Christ can you not say anything about travellers without having the discrimination bull**** thrown at you.

If you start by saying something about "travellers" then you are already discriminating against a group of people based on your experience of dealing with a small subset of that group. Which is, errm... discrimination. That's how it works.

I have a problem with the three travellers who ****ed up my ivy, doesn't mean I have a problem with some other travellers that I haven't met.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Yawn

- must try harder.

Feeble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

SameDiff wrote: »
    The judge is sending them back out to commit further crimes. He knows it. He knows there's no chance of it being reformed.

I don't know how they sleep at night knowing that, but I suppose it's a bit easier to sleep in a big gaff in leafy Rathgar, away from it all.

Well, the Gardai will respond immediately - and in force - if anything happens to a judge. They are more important than citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I'm always amused at the amount of outrage any Traveller thread attracts.

I wonder how much direct interaction posters have had with a member of the Traveller community in the past 12 months - reading stories in the media doesn't count, I'm talking about a direct interaction.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say for the vast majority the answer is 'none'.

Yet, the hysterical reaction to any Traveller crime can be relied upon. The media know the public are programmed to act in a Pavlovian fashion the minute the word 'Traveller' is mentioned - they know exactly what buttons to push.

The reality is that the Traveller population in Ireland is tiny and the problems created by Travellers is miniscule.

I really take issue with this post.
    In the past 12 months we have had 2 different traveller families move from one area about 20 minutes away from our house to another area about 5 minutes away from our house.
    They left both places in a disgraceful manner and went about their daily lives while they were in both places in a disgraceful manner.

My husband was unemployed when they were living 5 minutes from our house and there was days when he didn't want to leave the house because they were constantly driving around the area checking places out, came up our driveway a few times for a look and one afternoon when my husband was at home one of the dogs started going absolutely ballistic and my husband walked around the side of the house to find some dirty fooker pulling one of our windows open, the dog ran around the side of the house (big german shepherd) and your man jumped in the car and they headed off. My husband called the gardai and they came out to the house, the guy had left a dirty hand print on the window and the gardai then radioed to the station in the next town (the direction they headed in) to warn the gardai.
    I have posted in another thread about all of our immediate neighbours having been broken into (we think the only reason they stayed away from our house was because of the dogs), one of them an elderly woman, her home was broken into twice and she now refuses to live there and is renting a house in town, the gardai attributed all of that to the travellers in the area.

It was another 6 months before they were actually forced to leave.

I find it very hard to accept that there isn't a factual basis for the outrage expressed by the majority of the posters in this thread.

Edit to add - the above is just what has happened in the last 12 months.

I really take issue with this post.

That's fine - your post is just anecdote masquerading as evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

So you weren't really wondering then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

New to 2015 "All discussions in all walks of life now accompanied by photo and video evidence"

Thanks for policing the thread with your sympathy.
    Would love to get your take on it if a family of them moved in next door to you in 12 months

Advertisement