Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers jailed for attacking Gardai

Options

Comments

Of course everyone has to remember that someone's previous convictions cannot be taken into account until after that person has been convicted of a crime.
    Basically, you could have a career criminal in court for the 20/30th time, that person having 50 previous convictions, but until they are found guilty of the one crime they are charged with, nothing previous to that is taken into account.
    Its only taken into account when the judge is deciding the punishment.
    I think most people don't realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smiley92a

bubblypop wrote: »
    Honestly? Yes I do.
    There are certain parts of our community whose whole life is dedicated to stealing, robbing and burglerising the rest of the country.
    And I so honestly believe that the majority of those crimes are committed by a small percentage of our population. One that we can't possibly understand because they are a completely different 'ethnicity' to the majority.

Just back from a wander over to the CSO. Let's go through the numbers.

Taking everything into account, there were 181,822 offenses committed in 2013

60% of those is 109,093.2

If we divide that by the estimated 40,000 Travellers (most social researchers consider the census' 30,000 to be an undercount) that's 2.7 crimes for every Traveller man, woman and child. But only if the babies and grannies pitch in, obviously :)

To be serious for a moment, you're right in thinking most crimes are committed by a small segment of the population, that's usually the way it works, such people are, by their nature, outliers.

The problem arises when you start denouncing a whole group of people as criminals because you know of a couple of bad members. As if their membership of that group is the only thing that matters, as if that's what makes them criminals.

For example, how would an Irish person react if, say a British person told them that "the Irish Community" had to "take responsibility for" the IRA ans "owed an apology"? I know what I'd say: "**** off, that's nothing to do with me." Would I be wrong to say that? After all, I'm not in the IRA and never supported it, so can blame for their actions be laid on me because I'm Irish?

Here you go bubblypop, I think you were a bit off with your 60% figure.

http://health.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/AITHS2010_TechnicalReport2_HR_PartC.pdf

In this prison health survey they count the number of travellers (male and female) and other Irish people on page 153:

So...320/3,666 = 8.7% ish (If my maths is correct!! :pac: ) Sure you were only around 51% off there. ;):p

That's just the number of travellers in prison, if I'm not mistaken?
    That's not the number that have committed crime!
    Obviously, the amount convicted would be different.
    The same as any other part of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

So...320/3,666 = 8.7% ish (If my maths is correct!! :pac: ) Sure you were only around 51% off there. ;):p

Of course 60% was a ludicrous figure.

But given that travellers make up less than 1% of the population of Ireland then a figure of 8.7% of the prison population would be hugely disproportionate given their relatively small numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Basically, you could have a career criminal in court for the 20/30th time, that person having 50 previous convictions.

How is this possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I agree with you but they still choose to live that lifestyle and then some choose to get into a life of crime. That's not traveller bashing as i know settled people also choose to take up a life of crime.

Not that I'm defending anyone here, but they choose to be travellers about as much as you choose not to be a traveller.

What reasons do you think that "people" have, hmm?

Oh, I imagine something like "They move around to avoid paying tax, they're filthy, they're criminals and thieves and not to be trusted. They don't look after their children. They aren't hard workers, like we are!"

Honestly, all prejudice starts looking pretty similar after a while, almost regardless of who it's being aimed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

22 with 92 previous convictions ? I'm 41 with none. If i failed to pay my tv licence i'd end up in prison faster. AGS are afraid to tackle them and the judicial system is afraid to imprison them. All because they are a supposedly ethnic minority and the likes of pavee point will scream blue murder. Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

the_syco wrote: »
    Because Roma are not specifically Romanian. They're actually Indian. And live in Turkey, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Egypt, Kosovo, Republic of Macedonia, and Bulgaria.

In all fairness, send these troublemakers home we have enough to be dealing with. We can't even punish our own people properly, surely the cheapest option is to send them home. Bring in a law if your break our laws you go home. Seems simple to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Exactly Blaas. We need to be able to parallel crime rates within and with-out the travelling community, in Ireland. And other groups analysis too.

To what end ?

It's very simple, and very simply has to be acknowledged : there are issues with the travelling community in Ireland, and plain statistics would help to either dispel the myths surrounding them, or help deal with the issues.
    Hard facts and statistics may get the ball rolling, better than the current faffing about that leaves every one unhappy.

To refuse to acknowledge this very simple precept is to bury one's head in the sand, and it is not helpful to the traveller community imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

They cant be that direct because its illegal. I know many people who wouldnt hire travellers.

I believe it's illegal when it's indirect too. I know several employers across different industries who would, have and do employ suitably qualified travellers.

We may as well agree to disagree on this.

Smiley92a wrote: »
    Oh, I imagine something like "They move around to avoid paying tax, they're filthy, they're criminals and thieves and not to be trusted. They don't look after their children. They aren't hard workers, like we are!"

Honestly, all prejudice starts looking pretty similar after a while, almost regardless of who it's being aimed at.

Or they have common ethos maybe? In that case no one is been prejudice, it's just how they operate. While the rest of us operate by law, but god forbid we don't pay our TV license or have the dog on a lead FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Of course 60% was a ludicrous figure.

But given that travellers make up less than 1% of the population of Ireland then a figure of 8.7% of the prison population would be hugely disproportionate given their relatively small numbers.

Oh yeah it is, totally agree there. It's clear that there's a problem. But bubblypop's argument was that while they're a minority of the population, they commit the majority of crime; a notion I wished to dispel. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

TallGlass wrote: »
    Or they have common ethos maybe? In that case no one is been prejudice, it's just how they operate. While the rest of us operate by law, but god forbid we don't pay our TV license or have the dog on a lead FFS.

I used to like bananas, but living inside an Island banana republic is just superiotically indigestible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

That's just the number of travellers in prison, if I'm not mistaken?
    That's not the number that have committed crime!
    Obviously, the amount convicted would be different.
    The same as any other part of the community.

Yep, and it's also just the number of other Irish people in prison. There is no figure anywhere of how many crimes ANYONE has committed. Between detecting and recording the figures and securing convictions, there's no possible way to know how much crime is committed in Ireland at all! So we work with what we have, the statistics are still relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Not that I'm defending anyone here, but they choose to be travellers about as much as you choose not to be a traveller.

Poster did say "choose that lifestyle". Settled travellers have altered their lifestyle, they're still travellers. So indeed, people can choose a different lifestyle and remain part of a community.

By ignoring problems in certain communities then problems are allowed to fester and exacerbate, just look at the grooming issue in the pakistani/muslim communities in northern england.

Travellers have so many advocates willing to gloss over the problems that parts of the travellers create that they don't even have to acknowledge that they have/cause problems, let alone do something about them.

tom_k wrote: »
    I believe it's illegal when it's indirect too. I know several employers across different industries who would, have and do employ suitably qualified travellers.

We may as well agree to disagree on this.

I would hire a traveler, why not? They are hard working and if they had the qualifications then they have put in the effort. If I was on deaths door and it was a traveler Doctor coming to help me, I wouldn't stop them anyway same would go for a Roma Gypsy, there obviously trying to make a better life for themselves and enjoy what they do. It's the ones that make no effort and cause hassle for everyone, that need a good stiff sentence to make sure it never happens again.

I used to like bananas, but living inside an Island banana republic is just superiotically indigestible.

But your a type of herb, how can you not like bananas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Just back from a wander over to the CSO. Let's go through the numbers.

Taking everything into account, there were 181,822 offenses committed in 2013

60% of those is 109,093.2

If we divide that by the estimated 40,000 Travellers (most social researchers consider the census' 30,000 to be an undercount) that's 2.7 crimes for every Traveller man, woman and child. But only if the babies and grannies pitch in, obviously :)

To be serious for a moment, you're right in thinking most crimes are committed by a small segment of the population, that's usually the way it works, such people are, by their nature, outliers.

The problem arises when you start denouncing a whole group of people as criminals because you know of a couple of bad members. As if their membership of that group is the only thing that matters, as if that's what makes them criminals.

For example, how would an Irish person react if, say a British person told them that "the Irish Community" had to "take responsibility for" the IRA ans "owed an apology"? I know what I'd say: "**** off, that's nothing to do with me." Would I be wrong to say that? After all, I'm not in the IRA and never supported it, so can blame for their actions be laid on me because I'm Irish?

With travellers there is often they do what is expected of them by their community. A person above mentioned they were laughed at for working then there would be other similar situations especially with the girls and marriage but yet they can have 100 convictions and nobody is laughing at them. They are a close knit community always worried about what others will think of them one minute and then all of a sudden they are as close as the north and south pole.

If you were part of a group that judged and expected people to join the IRA, treating them poorly or cutting them off if they didn't then you would have been part of the problem.

• Advertisement

In all fairness, I've met a decent few Travellers on this Island from past to present, and most of them are decent folk indeed. You are always going to get the wild ones with no care for others in their community, or outside of their community. A few bad apples they say, we all have bad apples in all communities.

Oh yeah it is, totally agree there. It's clear that there's a problem. But bubblypop's argument was that while they're a minority of the population, they commit the majority of crime; a notion I wished to dispel. :p

Oh yeah, I absolutely agree with you on that point, they'd need to have superpowers to commit that much crime lol.

But given the prison numbers I think it's a reasonable assumption to conclude that they probably commit a disproportionate number of crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

I worked a job with an open area containing skips for different materials. Every second day we were chasing off traveller kids on bikes obviously sent around industrial sites by their elders to scope out what was there. Often a van would come round and ask if they could take the scrap metal like we were just throwing it out. Get a bit abrupt and they got saucy.

I've had chancers in ESB hi-vis vests trying to tell me they needed some aluminium for a co-worker to stand on while he worked on a line so as to not get electrocuted. Again scoping out what we had on site. Numerous attempted breakins. If they knew the volume of copper we had on site they'd have **** themselves.

Co-worker lives near a halting site and he reports nothing but grief. Some say its the bad 1% cause the rest trouble. From what I've witnessed and heard its the 99% cause the good 1% the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭tastyt

Jesus Christ can you not say anything about travellers without having the discrimination bull**** thrown at you. It's plain as day and there for all to see, in every town up and down the country they cause trouble . It's very easy wax lyrical about how society has failed them. Bollocks. If they wanted to keep their kids in school they could, if they wanted to work they could, if they wanted to earn a living honestly they could . How many do?? Sweet fa.

I'm sure loads of posters are gonna rip me apart now about their ' culture ' and you can't paint them all with one brush type of stuff well tough ****e. The majority of traveller troublemakers have destroyed any trust society would have in a decent one. Just wait until they assault or con or Rob something from your mother, father, elderly family member or bully your kids in school and see how many of ye aren't on the side of big bad society then.

osarusan wrote: »
    How is this possible?

Because people are innocent until proven guilty.
    So basically, just because you have committed and been found guilty in the past of, lets say 100 burglaries, doesn't necessarily mean you are guilty of the one burglary you are charged with before the court.

Only after you gave been found guilty, do your previous 100 convictions for burglary play a part In your sentencing, by the judge.
    No jury will ever know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Because people are innocent until proven guilty.
    So basically, just because you have committed and been found guilty in the past of, lets say 100 burglaries, doesn't necessarily mean you are guilty of the one burglary you are charged with before the court.

Only after you gave been found guilty, do your previous 100 convictions for burglary play a part In your sentencing, by the judge.
    No jury will ever know this.

How does that explain the lenient sentence?

The jury don't hand that out, the Judge does and he as you say yourself, does so at the point of sentencing, having full knowledge of previous convitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Hard labour sentences are the answer.Some proper back breaking stuff, it really would deter crime.

By ignoring problems in certain communities then problems are allowed to fester and exacerbate, just look at the grooming issue in the pakistani/muslim communities in northern england.

Travellers have so many advocates willing to gloss over the problems that parts of the travellers create that they don't even have to acknowledge that they have/cause problems, let alone do something about them.

It's true that groups used to being attacked by outsiders can have a hard time admitting faults of their own. Take a look at Ireland after independence. We had deep-seated social problems, but we were never going to admit it when we were so busy proving to the world how much better off we were freed from empire. Visible signs of poverty, like unmarried mothers and destitute children couldn't be addressed because that would mean admitting they existed, so they were hidden away.

That said, saying that Travellers have to deal with Traveller problems assumes that there's a clear and obvious divide between "Traveller problems made by Travellers" and "Traveller problems made by the State". They actually link together and feed back into each other. Fixing them is frustrating and slow.

Groups like Pavee Point have actually made progress, though. Far more Travellers are finishing education now than there were 10 years ago. It's still not anywhere near the settled population, but it's a clear and measurable improvement.

I'll dig up some stats (can't remember which poster brought it up, but we already have loads of stats and we already know what the problems are) tomorrow if this thread hasn't been closed. For now I'm off to bed :)

tastyt wrote: »
    Jesus Christ can you not say anything about travellers without having the discrimination bull**** thrown at you. It's plain as day and there for all to see, in every town up and down the country they cause trouble . It's very easy wax lyrical about how society has failed them. Bollocks. If they wanted to keep their kids in school they could, if they wanted to work they could, if they wanted to earn a living honestly they could . How many do?? Sweet fa.

I'm sure loads of posters are gonna rip me apart now about their ' culture ' and you can't paint them all with one brush type of stuff well tough ****e. The majority of traveller troublemakers have destroyed any trust society would have in a decent one. Just wait until they assault or con or Rob something from your mother, father, elderly family member or bully your kids in school and see how many of ye aren't on the side of big bad society then.

In all fairness 'again' you can't paint them all with the same brush. It seems that you had a problem with a certain Clan of travelling folk, but in saying that, most Clans are decent folk, they do what they do without causing trouble, but in your case it seems you have painted them all with a picasso paint-brush.

Accumulating and brunching together a philosophy thought that all of these folk are trouble-makers is.......... nonsensical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭tastyt

In all fairness 'again' you can't paint them all with the same brush. It seems that you had a problem with a certain Clan of travelling folk, but in saying that, most Clans are decent folk, they do what they do without causing trouble, but in your case it seems you have painted them all with a picasso paint-brush.

Accumulating and brunching together a philosophy thought that all of these folk are trouble-makers is.......... nonsensical.

Nonsensical?? Nonsensical is trying to treat these people with kid gloves while they laugh at the sentences, if any, being handed out to them. When they don't respect a thing about our society, why should we make special allowances for theirs?? And no, I personally have neverhad an issue with a traveller but that doesn't mean I should bury my head in the sand either

Advertisement