Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAT, SICK & NEARLY DEAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

jh79 wrote: »
    Why contribute to a thread about the movie if you're not willing to discuss it?

As a movie I found Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead hugely entertaining and quite funny while at the same raising some thought provoking ideas .........
    Joe himself came across as really likeable.
    He doesn't take himself too seriously ......... he doesn't come across as "preachy" ........ he empathises with the people he interviews in the movie that disagree with his Juice only plan ie. he didn't demonize specific foods or the people who ate them.

It could very easily have come across as a propaganda movie but it didn't ........ as somebody who had never even heard of Juicing at the time let alone tried it I really felt that I wanted Joe and Phil to succeed even if I didn't understand or agree with their methods (at the time) ........ and when they did succeed it was a heart-warming and inspirational ending to great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

MadDog76 wrote: »
    As a movie I found Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead hugely entertaining and quite funny while at the same raising some thought provoking ideas .........
    He doesn't take himself too seriously ......... he doesn't come across as "preachy" ........ he empathises with the people he interviews in the movie that disagree with his Juice only plan ie. he didn't demonize specific foods or the people who ate them.

It could very easily have come across as a propaganda movie but it didn't ........ as somebody who had never even heard of Juicing at the time let alone tried it I really felt that I wanted Joe and Phil to succeed even if I didn't understand or agree with their methods (at the time) ........ and when they did succeed it was a heart-warming and inspirational ending to great movie.

I found it a complete waste of time, everyone knows what food is good and what is bad. They chose the bad because they enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Can we please try to keep on the level here? I've asked you to provide evidence that chronic hives is obesity related as you seem to be repeating ad-infinitum.

What we do know: He had a condition that years of medication, hospital stays and the whole 9 yards couldn't cure.

cure (kūr)
    1. the treatment of any disease, or of a special case.
    2. the successful treatment of a disease or wound.
    3. a system of treating diseases.
    4. a medicine effective in treating a disease.
    http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/cured

He stopped taking the medication and with the aid of a healthy diet his body cured itself. Or where do you disagree?

doctors will always recommend a good diet...

in this case by changing his diet he recovered... he was overweight, from a really bad diet and lack of exercise... there is nothing to prove his body cured anything, he stopped eating ****e and he got better...

modern medicine has cured millions of people.... and cannot be ignored...

while it is not 100% by any stretch it offers hope to many people.
    yes the companies are in it to make money... but sure so are the fruit suppliers....
    a balanced diet will give the body the best chance at recovery.... but a lot of times medicine is needed as well....

best of both worlds

I found it a complete waste of time, everyone knows what food is good and what is bad. They chose the bad because they enjoy it.

Of course you did ........ you had decided it was going to be a complete waste of time before you even watched the movie :rolleyes:

Of course you did ........ you had decided it was going to be a complete waste of time before you even watched the movie :rolleyes:

And i bet you had your mind made up too before you watched it , why are you afraid to address the issues I highlighted ? Are you that desperate to believe in "juicing" ?

• Advertisement

And i bet you had your mind made up too before you watched it , why are you afraid to address the issues I highlighted ? Are you that desperate to believe in "juicing" ?

See my above post ......... after watching the movie for the first time I definitely wasn't convinced but I thought "there's only one way to find out for sure ........." so I gave it a go and haven't looked back since!!! :)

See my above post ......... after watching the movie for the first time I definitely wasn't convinced but I thought "there's only one way to find out for sure ........." so I gave it a go and haven't looked back since!!! :)

But the thread is about the movie not your personal experiences , the movie in its design fails to show that juicing has any benefits above that of a normal diet.

The thing with Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead is Joe Cross and Phil Staples were way over-weight, unhealthy, medicated to the max and suffering from debilitating autoimmune diseases at the beginning of the documentary .......... they both did Juice only plans .......... by the end of the documentary (Juice plans) they both lost weight, looked a lot healthier, no longer needed their medication and were no longer suffering symptoms of their debilitating autoimmune diseases.

These are all facts available to see for yourself ......... even if you don't agree with their methods, no reasonable intelligent and logical person can disagree with the results ........ Juicing did/does work, simple as that
    But the thread is about the movie not your personal experiences , the movie in its design fails to show that juicing has any benefits above that of a normal diet.

See my above post .........

See my above post .........

You still have not addressed the flaws i saw with the film, your evasive nature speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

This is fast becoming circular, can we take the next turn-off before we end up in personal-attack-town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jh79 Would it be fair to say the movie demonstrates how juicing can be used as a method of changing to a healthy healthy diet?

So he changed a number of things in his life.

Diet
    Stress
    Triggers
    Juicing instead of eating normally

There is no control condition in the movie so all we know it that he changed his diet from total junk with lots of triggers and stressful lifestyle, to a diet without the triggers, reduced stress, and he ingested that diet through juicing?

I also wonder if changing from eating to juicing was an interesting way to make such a complete change of diet. Instead of changing what he ate he stopped eating completely and that might have made the change in diet more doable in a strange way.

Jh79 Would it be fair to say the movie demonstrates how juicing can be used as a method of changing to a healthy healthy diet?

Diet
    Stress
    Triggers

There is no control condition in the movie so all we know it that he changed his diet from total junk with lots of triggers and stressful lifestyle, to a diet without the triggers, reduced stress, and he ingested that diet through juicing?

I also wonder if changing from eating to juicing was an interesting way to make such a complete change of diet. Instead of changing what he ate he stopped eating completely and that might have made the change in diet more doable in a strange way.

To me it was just an infomercial for breville blenders. We all know fruit and veg are good for us. I didn't find it informative at all.

I can see where your coming from with the extreme regime might make a person more focused . But faddish celebrity style extreme diets tend to fail in the long term.

In terms of the this thread, the film doesn't support the claims of the op in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

To me it was just an infomercial for breville blenders. We all know fruit and veg are good for us. I didn't find it informative at all.

I can see where your coming from with the extreme regime might make a person more focused . But faddish celebrity style extreme diets tend to fail in the long term.

In terms of the this thread, the film doesn't support the claims of the op in any way.

Yeah fair enough. I checked the OP to see the claims being made and I dislike the notion that the body heals itself. If course the body heals itself (Cut your finger and it heals) but there is an attached notion that the body can heal itself of any illness which is obviously bunk.

In this case the guy stopped the negative lifestyle and replaced it with mostly positive. I generally agree but I think the movie over reaches and that annoys me.

Also I can see no CT here. Like jh79 said, everyone knows that eating fruit and veg is good for you. If you didn't know that and watched this movie, you might come away thinking juicing is magic rather than a good way to get extra veg into your diet

Diet
    Stress
    Triggers

Totally agree with most of this post, in particular the highlighted sentence ......

This is fast becoming circular, can we take the next turn-off before we end up in personal-attack-town?

Thanks ........ the reason I re-posted some my posts in reply is exactly for this reason ........ the same questions are being asked which I've already answered ........ going around in circles

Totally agree with most of this post, in particular the highlighted sentence ......

What bit do you disagree with?

What bit do you disagree with?

I'm not gonna bite ......... we'll end up going around in circles again which the Mod has requested we don't do ........ I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree on this occasion :)

I'm not gonna bite ......... we'll end up going around in circles again which the Mod has requested we don't do ........ I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree on this occasion :)

Fair enough so leave it there.

So what is the "reboot" part of the process all about?

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/rebooting/why/

Is it a cynical ploy to ensure that food triggers and allergens are removed form the followers diet to give the impression that "juicing" is imparting magical healing powers or is it just a re-branding of the detox myth?

Is it a cynical ploy to ensure that food triggers and allergens are removed form the followers diet to give the impression that "juicing" is imparting magical healing powers or is it just a re-branding of the detox myth?

The answers to your questions are on the site which you provided a link to .........

• Advertisement

The answers to your questions are on the site which you provided a link to .........

Doesn't explain what advantage the fasting has over just reducing intake of so called unhealthy food.

How does fasting release "stored toxins"?

Fair enough so leave it there.

give it a rest jh79 - he's answered as much as he wants to, you cant keep badgering another poster like that and expect mods to ignore it. This is the last on-thread warning about this I'm going to give.

give it a rest jh79 - he's answered as much as he wants to, you cant keep badgering another poster like that and expect mods to ignore it. This is the last on-thread warning about this I'm going to give.

Fair enough so, are the post about rebooting ok they weren't aimed at Maddog , it was a genuine question about an aspect of the movie that sounds a bit suspect?

yeah, certainly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

What is exactly the cynical ploy here?

A Reboot program, followed by a healthy lifestyle helps you:

- Boost the number of fruits and vegetables you consume daily

- Break the cycle of unhealthy eating and crave healthy foods

- Jumpstart a weight loss plan

- Manage a healthy weight

- Lower the risk of life-threatening diseases

- Promote longevity

- Decrease aches and pains in joints and muscles

- Boost your immune system

- Release stored toxins

- Increase energy levels

- Promote beautiful and healthy skin, nails and hair

- Ease digestion by accessing digestive enzymes locked away in whole produce

weisses wrote: »

- Promote longevity

- Release stored toxins

- Increase energy levels

Why go to the extreme of fasting when the above can be achieved with a healthy balanced diet?

Why go to the extreme of fasting when the above can be achieved with a healthy balanced diet?

Except for removing stored toxins which diet has no influence over

weisses wrote: »

- Promote longevity

- Release stored toxins

- Increase energy levels

It gives the impression of a "cure", reality is the reboot avoids known triggers and lessen symptoms of diet related illnesses the " juice" has little influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It's because the extreme measure makes it a gimmick and makes it more marketable.
    "Eat more healthily" doesn't sell as well or make as much of an attention grabbing movie as "secret trick to cure everything."

• Advertisement

King Mob wrote: »
    It's because the extreme measure makes it a gimmick and makes it more marketable.
    "Eat more healthily" doesn't sell as well or make as much of an attention grabbing movie as "secret trick to cure everything."

But what about all those people (me included) who have tried this "secret trick" and it has worked for them in abundance ......... ???

Also the movie (I assume you've watched it?) was meant first and foremost to be entertainment which it achieved for many people (also like me) regardless if you had ever Juiced before watching the movie (I hadn't) or if you decided to try Juicing after the movie (I did) or not ........... and like every movie some will find it interesting or entertaining or funny or informative ....... and some just won't like it.

Advertisement