Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAT, SICK & NEARLY DEAD

Options
  • 30-10-2014 12:32pm
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

This eye-opening documentary follows an overweight Australian man who is suffering from a rare immune disease which results in him breaking out in painful rashes all over his body. For years medicine and doctors have failed him and his suffering goes unabated despite him taking lots of tablets every day. In desperation he tries to heal himself, or more specifically allow his body to heal itself. He does this by cutting out the tablets and only allowing himself fresh fruit and vegatables for 60 days.

This is his story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o0pSnp0Xs8

The CT is the rush to proscribe money-spinning medications when the body is better able to treat itself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

This eye-opening documentary follows an overweight Australian man who is suffering from a rare immune disease which results in him breaking out in painful rashes all over his body. For years medicine and doctors have failed him and his suffering goes unabated despite him taking lots of tablets every day. In desperation he tries to heal himself, or more specifically allow his body to heal itself. He does this by cutting out the tablets and only allowing himself fresh fruit and vegatables for 60 days.

This is his story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o0pSnp0Xs8

The CT is the rush to proscribe money-spinning medications when the body is better able to treat itself.

I'm sure the first thing he was advised to do by his doctor was lose weight seeing as diet is a risk factor in a myriad of conditions. Obesity is bad for your health shocker!

If the body is better able to treat itself why do people die from various illnesses eg cancer or HIV or take your pick without some form of medical intervention?

From a quick google he is an advocate of the completely unnecessary "juicing" , wonder if he was sponsored by any kitchen appliance firms (update : sponsored by Breville it seems)? More QVC than a doc.

It seems that there is nothing too controversial in this movie (see link). In summary a healthy diet leads to a healthier person, hardly groundbreaking.

http://thehealthydoc.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/fat-sick-and-nearly-dead-review.html

With regards to Brown Bombers conspiracy theory,

While all three of the people profiled in this documentary had major medical problems that are not understood by modern medicine: migraines & auto-immune disorders. I definitely think a healthy lifestyle is a way to keep these problems under control and that weight loss is going to help regulate the way your body responds to stimuli, but I don't think a juice fast is the only way to do it.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000816.htm

http://www.migrainetrust.org/health-professionals/managing-migraine

Medication is promoted as an option to treat the symptoms of these illnesses but not as the only option. It is ultimately up to the patient , if they are not willing to change their lifestyles or spend time finding their triggers then medication is the only option. Also as the triggers are unknown , medication may be the best option for some.

This film doesn't support the conspiracy as diet is flagged as an influencing factor in these illnesses by health practitioners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It wasn't really magic or anything, 3 people with the most unhealthy lifestyles and diets change their lifestyle and juice more fruits/vegetables than they have ever seen in their life, of course there are going to be benefits.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

jh79 wrote: »
    I'm sure the first thing he was advised to do by his doctor was lose weight seeing as diet is a risk factor in a myriad of conditions. Obesity is bad for your health shocker!

If the body is better able to treat itself why do people die from various illnesses eg cancer or HIV or take your pick without some form of medical intervention?

From a quick google he is an advocate of the completely unnecessary "juicing" , wonder if he was sponsored by any kitchen appliance firms (update : sponsored by Breville it seems)? More QVC than a doc.
    ???

1. People die from HIV and cancer WITH medical intervention.
    2. "From a quick google he is an advocate of the completely unnecessary "juicing"

FFS lad, that is precisely what the entirety of the documentary about. We could have a more informed discussion if you watched it instead of having "quick googles".

3. This unverified claim of sponsorship by you, is this what made his condition go away?

4. I've only ever been to the doctors before if I needed a sick note for work or needed to take a medical for a job. Not once have any doctors ever talked to me about diet. They talk to me for a few disinterested minutes and then write up a prescription and then take my 50 notes. My GP died when I was about 14, I never had much use for them so I've drifted between doctors in that time and they are all the same.

How are you sleeping?
    Oh, not always so well".
    Here, take these magic pills even though you don't need them, they have side effects and you can become addicted to them"
    Ok, thanks.
    Don't forget to pay me as you leave. Speak with the receptionist and we can talk again in 3 weeks and you can pay me for nothing again and I'll give you some more drugs.

Luckily for me, I have never taken their chemicals and don't keep the appointment.

???

1. People die from HIV and cancer WITH medical intervention.
    2. "From a quick google he is an advocate of the completely unnecessary "juicing"

FFS lad, that is precisely what the entirety of the documentary about. We could have a more informed discussion if you watched it instead of having "quick googles".

3. This unverified claim of sponsorship by you, is this what made his condition go away?

4. I've only ever been to the doctors before if I needed a sick note for work or needed to take a medical for a job. Not once have any doctors ever talked to me about diet. They talk to me for a few disinterested minutes and then write up a prescription and then take my 50 notes. My GP died when I was about 14, I never had much use for them so I've drifted between doctors in that time and they are all the same.

How are you sleeping?
    Oh, not always so well".
    Here, take these magic pills even though you don't need them, they have side effects and you can become addicted to them"
    Ok, thanks.
    Don't forget to pay me as you leave. Speak with the receptionist and we can talk again in 3 weeks and you can pay me for nothing again and I'll give you some more drugs.

Luckily for me, I have never taken their chemicals and don't keep the appointment.

How does the film promote or support your conspiracy? And do we really need to watch a film to know that fruit and veg are good for you??

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/why-breville/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

illuminati confirmed. They were in the fruit all along...

Rory28 wrote: »
    illuminati confirmed. They were in the fruit all along...

Insightful. Thanks for the comment.

How does the film promote or support your conspiracy?
    I'm not interested in discussing a film with you that you refuse to watch.
    And do we really need to watch a film to know that fruit and veg are good for you??

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/why-breville/

What is your point here? Is it supposed to support your claim that he was sponsored? And by that you mean to make the documentary? It doesn't.

I'm not interested in discussing a film with you that you refuse to watch.

What is your point here? Is it supposed to support your claim that he was sponsored? And by that you mean to make the documentary? It doesn't.

It is a film about some obese people who cured themselves of obseity related illnesses by losing weight? Illnesses that medicine can be used to manage symptoms only. Where is the conspiracy?

It is a film about some obese people who cured themselves of obseity related illnesses by losing weight? Illnesses that medicine can be used to manage symptoms only. Where is the conspiracy?

I don't mean you any offense, I appreciate your politeness but I am only interested in discussing the documentary with people with an open mind. I linked to the video for us to discuss. However, you have ignored it and instead began to look up links for hidden agendas. This, to me, is not the way to have an open and honest conversation.

• Advertisement

I don't mean you any offense, I appreciate your politeness but I am only interested in discussing the documentary with people with an open mind. I linked to the video for us to discuss. However, you have ignored it and instead began to look up links for hidden agendas. This, to me, is not the way to have an open and honest conversation.

Fair enough so, I thought it might be another ridiculous effort like food matters but from what I've read it just seems to be the reverse of super size me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Fair enough so, I thought it might be another ridiculous effort like food matters but from what I've read it just seems to be the reverse of super size me.

Just watch it ... form a proper opinion after watching it

weisses wrote: »
    Just watch it ... form a proper opinion after watching it

Watching at the moment, 1 hour in.

And we have the sequel coming :D

Watching at the moment, 1 hour in.

Must be good to keep you interested for an hour :p making notes ?

Where is the conspiracy?

5359524de628636ef321fa87db2091f1ae58273a9b6d22d4466d79769e727abc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

People subject themselves to a myriad of factors that contribute to disease; diet, environment, lifestyle etc. If none of these factors are improved upon, the disease will just get worse for the same reasons it developed in the first place. If these factors are addressed and greatly improved upon, it can see the disease being fought off amongst many other positive changes. Medication generally only addresses the issue at hand with sometimes huge potential to cause other ailments, without even looking into the route causes and thus a disease prone body is still disease prone.

Must be good to keep you interested for an hour :p making notes ?

Finding it boring tbh and the cartoons a bit childish, don't see how it supports brown bombers proposed conspiracy. The meds they take are to alleviate the symptoms of their obesity / diet based illnesses, they continue on the meds until they cease being obese or remove their triggers and obviously don't need the meds anymore.

In fairness a balanced normal diet would achieve the same results.

Thought this film would really annoy me with plenty of pseudo science that would rile me, in truth it was the complete opposite, it is so boring and has absolutely nothing of interest in it.

5359524de628636ef321fa87db2091f1ae58273a9b6d22d4466d79769e727abc.jpg

Without doubt it's purpose.

• Advertisement

It seems that there is nothing too controversial in this movie (see link). In summary a healthy diet leads to a healthier person, hardly groundbreaking.

http://thehealthydoc.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/fat-sick-and-nearly-dead-review.html

With regards to Brown Bombers conspiracy theory,

While all three of the people profiled in this documentary had major medical problems that are not understood by modern medicine: migraines & auto-immune disorders. I definitely think a healthy lifestyle is a way to keep these problems under control and that weight loss is going to help regulate the way your body responds to stimuli, but I don't think a juice fast is the only way to do it.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000816.htm

http://www.migrainetrust.org/health-professionals/managing-migraine

Medication is promoted as an option to treat the symptoms of these illnesses but not as the only option. It is ultimately up to the patient , if they are not willing to change their lifestyles or spend time finding their triggers then medication is the only option. Also as the triggers are unknown , medication may be the best option for some.

This film doesn't support the conspiracy as diet is flagged as an influencing factor in these illnesses by health practitioners.

Posted this before watching this and still stand by it, waste of 90 minutes.

Finding it boring tbh and the cartoons a bit childish, don't see how it supports brown bombers proposed conspiracy. The meds they take are to alleviate the symptoms of their obesity / diet based illnesses, they continue on the meds until they cease being obese or remove their triggers and obviously don't need the meds anymore.

In fairness a balanced normal diet would achieve the same results.

The woman with migraines wasn't obese. Her body ccured itself without costly chemicals.

Now look at all the chemicals the Mayo Clinic would have you put into your system
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/migraine-headache/basics/treatment/con-20026358

Also, please stop saying the the Australian man's condition was related to his obesity. You have no reason for doing so.

The woman with migraines wasn't obese. Her body ccured itself without costly chemicals.

Now look at all the chemicals the Mayo Clinic would have you put into your system
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/migraine-headache/basics/treatment/con-20026358

Also, please stop saying the the Australian man's condition was related to his obesity. You have no reason for doing so.

Nobody was "cured" of anything they all still have auto-immune conditions. All they did was remove the triggers from their diets thereby removing their need for medication.

All the film claims is that fruit and veg are good for you, juicing is a good way of introducing fruit and veg into your diet. Obesity (obese people tend to make poor food choices and are more likely to encounter triggers for hives etc) is bad for you and if you lose weight you will obviously suffer less from obesity related illnesses and thereby reduce your need for certain medications. Nothing controversial at all.

His whole "rebooting" spiel sounds like the pseudoscience that is detox, and I'm not familiar with the whole paelo diet thing but it didn't sound too out there to me.

I don't think his incorrect use of the word cure was intentional either

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

OSI wrote: »
    Ah, I see. So I should come off my anti-epileptics and start juicing instead. Gotcha. I'll let you know how that goes.

Sarcasm aside, I have to refer you to our charter OSI, from what i gather the CT here is based around obesity, not epilepsy.

Please keep that in mind while posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Yeah , how dear they that's your modus operandi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I saw the film, loved it, thought it was great, etc, etc. Already had a juicer, so halfway there....

Spent over €100 on fruit and veg and lasted two days. Was nauseous, sluggish, exhausted (did it over a weekend and barely got out of bed the second day) irritable, headachy and downright miserable.

For an ordinary person looking to lose some weight, maybe replacing one meal a day, for a period of time, with a juice might provide a good kick start, but juicing consistently for 3-,7-,10+ days is just another gimmick that will go the way of Atkins, etc.

All the film claims is that fruit and veg are good for you, juicing is a good way of introducing fruit and veg into your diet. Obesity (obese people tend to make poor food choices and are more likely to encounter triggers for hives etc) is bad for you and if you lose weight you will obviously suffer less from obesity related illnesses and thereby reduce your need for certain medications. Nothing controversial at all.

His whole "rebooting" spiel sounds like the pseudoscience that is detox, and I'm not familiar with the whole paelo diet thing but it didn't sound too out there to me.

I don't think his incorrect use of the word cure was intentional either
    He didn't have hives, he had chronic hives. Please provide evidence this is an "obesity-related illness" or stop claiming it.

Yeah , how dear they that's your modus operandi
    ??? Freudian slip???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Stay on topic please Gents.

Advertisement