Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAT, SICK & NEARLY DEAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have no problem with juicing, it is only part of a solution to some health issues though.

I suffered from migraines. I completely stopped chocolate and red wine. I do not have any migraines now. If I juiced red grapes I would get a migraine. Juicing other fruit and veg would be good for me - in moderation, as with everything - but it would not improve the migraine situation if I also continued to eat chocolate.

I have a close acquaintance who eats 100% rubbish. Total diet of fast food, sugar, fat, very little else. He is grossly overweight and has serious health issues. He goes to the doctor for pills to relieve the symptoms of his issues, he has been told numerous times that he will not improve his health unless he loses weight. He is addicted to his diet and has no interest in changing it. Medication in his case is a waste of time and money.

I also know of people who are undoubtedly overweight, though not obese, and they are healthy, energetic people with more energy than me.

Medication in my own case is managing a health problem that juicing or any other change to my diet would not impact.

The point I am making is that there is a case for juicing, there is a case for losing weight, there is a case for medication. It is nonsense to try and prove that any one of these situations is a catch-all solution for health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

jh79 wrote: »
    Huff post is a known pseudoscience promoting website so i'll take their spin on the paper with a pinch of salt.

It is an old paper too so it hasn't made much of an impact. Think it was debunked on the Primetime special also.

First impression is the amounts could easily be just natural variation and not significant enough to impact diet. Saying something is three times more sounds impressive but if the figure is 0.001% of your rda then it has no health implications. I'm suspicious that they have not given % rda's in the article.

The difference in the levels of pesticide s is irrelevant if they are below safety threshold.

Read what research was done ... read who did it

If you think it was debunked then show us where

Are they quacks now also ??

Dr. Charles Benbrook, professor at Washington State University's Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources

Carlos Leifert, Professor of Ecological Agriculture at Newcastle University

Another link

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/new-study-finds-significant-differences-between-organic-and-non-organic-food

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

weisses wrote: »
    Read what research was done ... read who did it

If you think it was debunked then show us where

Are they quacks now also ??

Dr. Charles Benbrook, professor at Washington State University's Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources

Carlos Leifert, Professor of Ecological Agriculture at Newcastle University

Another link

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/new-study-finds-significant-differences-between-organic-and-non-organic-food

Huff post is dodgy as hell.

Prof Be brook is a anti gmo activist.

The flaws in his work are documented in the link provided.

from your link
    It has been alleged the Stanford study you refer to above had funding links to Monsanto and Cargill so is not necessarily "independent" as suggested. One of the lead researched was also Oleg Ilkin - a researcher who was employed by Philip Morris to suggest on court smoking didn't cause cancer in tobacco court cases in the 80's, so I wouldn't hold anything resulting from Stanford's study as being unbiased or credible.

And around we go

• Advertisement

from your link

And around we go

So lets just stick to the science, are the differences within natural variation? Are they significant enough to impact diet? Did the inclusion of poor data comprise his conclusions? A lot of his peers have issues with his findings.

looksee wrote: »
    I have a close acquaintance who eats 100% rubbish. Total diet of fast food, sugar, fat, very little else. He is grossly overweight and has serious health issues. He goes to the doctor for pills to relieve the symptoms of his issues, he has been told numerous times that he will not improve his health unless he loses weight. He is addicted to his diet and has no interest in changing it. Medication in his case is a waste of time and money.

A good example of a GP/pharma maintaining the status quo, IMO

So lets just stick to the science,

I thought i did with my link

Even funded by the EU ... Are they into the scam as well ?

A good example of a GP/pharma maintaining the status quo, IMO

You need to reread his post,

He has been told numerous times to lose weight but refuses to do so.

I thought i did with my link

Even funded by the EU ... Are they into the scam as well ?

Still a flawed paper does not show organic food is better for you. Middle class status symbol IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The difference in the levels of pesticide s is irrelevant if they are below safety threshold.

From my readings, it's been documented that this safety threshold is not really very well known at this stage as the use of such chemicals in foods is quite new and the long term affects can't be fully known. Again, put two apples side by side similar size, look and taste, but one has been sprayed with chemicals, well I'm choosing the other. It just makes more sense to me.

cormie wrote: »
    From my readings, it's been documented that this safety threshold is not really very well known at this stage as the use of such chemicals in foods is quite new and the long term affects can't be fully known. Again, put two apples side by side similar size, look and taste, but one has been sprayed with chemicals, well I'm choosing the other. It just makes more sense to me.

Can you show where it has been documented that safety thresholds are flawed?

From a scientific point of view it makes no sense if the residues are minuscule.

I won't be able to find the article I read, it was a few years ago, it basically concluded that although the study didn't show any major (if any, I forget) difference between the health benefits of organic vs conventional, that it was too early to be able to determine the long term affects on humans of eating treated foods, which again makes sense as does choosing the organic/wild option if possible.

I won't be able to find the article I read, it was a few years ago, it basically concluded that although the study didn't show any major (if any, I forget) difference between the health benefits of organic vs conventional, that it was too early to be able to determine the long term affects on humans of eating treated foods, which again makes sense as does choosing the organic/wild option if possible.

But the same can be applied to the pesticides allowed in organic farming , they are toxic too otherwise they wouldn't kill pests?

Based in current research there is no reason to go organic.

But the same can be applied to the pesticides allowed in organic farming , they are toxic too otherwise they wouldn't kill pests?

Based in current research there is no reason to go organic.

I'm not too up to date with what's allowed, but I'm guessing a lot less is allowed in organic farming? My choice would be 1) wild, 2) organic, 3) conventional, 4) GM

Still a flawed paper does not show organic food is better for you. Middle class status symbol IMO.

Flawed where? debunked by whom ? The GM shills ?

You need to reread his post,

He has been told numerous times to lose weight but refuses to do so.

I read it right I even quoted that part ffs ... Still the status quo remains .... Keep popping pills to battle the symptoms

I read it right I even quoted that part ffs ... Still the status quo remains .... Keep popping pills to battle the symptoms

So what should his doctor given he refuses to a dress his diet issues?

Flawed where? debunked by whom ? The GM shills ?

Flawed because it uses poor quality data, the differences could be due to natural variation and are the differences even significant?

Whereas the Denmark study controls all variable it can and no benefits were found.

• Advertisement

I'm not too up to date with what's allowed, but I'm guessing a lot less is allowed in organic farming? My choice would be 1) wild, 2) organic, 3) conventional, 4) GM

Going organic will not necessarily help you avoid GM in the future

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/30/can-gm-and-organic-farms-coexist

Going organic will not necessarily help you avoid GM in the future

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/30/can-gm-and-organic-farms-coexist

Is that not just an organic farmer lost his organic certification because of this? Therefore his harvest wouldn't be sold as organic, so I would still be avoiding it by buying organic?

Is that not just an organic farmer lost his organic certification because of this? Therefore his harvest wouldn't be sold as organic, so I would still be avoiding it by buying organic?

In the future they may have remove this criteria as it would make it too risky to invest in organic methods if someone down th e road uses GM methods. GM is here to stay, and rightly so, organic certification will have to change to account for cross contamination or disappear.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/28/gm-canola-organic-farmer-loses-court-case-over-alleged-contamination

Flawed because it uses poor quality data, the differences could be due to natural variation and are the differences even significant?

Whereas the Denmark study controls all variable it can and no benefits were found.

So that's a big fat NO on the debunking part ....

So that's a big fat NO on the debunking part ....

So what nutrients are significantly higher in organic produce based solely on %rda? You are saying there is a significant difference so prove it.

Can you also explain the findings of the Denmark study, if organic is better than why not all the time , unless of course it is just natural variation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/an-unhealthy-row-report-claiming-organic-food-is-better-divides-uk-scientists-9601608.html?origin=internalSearch

So the " nutirients" that may be higher in organic produce may not be beneficial in any way. Anti_oxidants aren't even essential nutrients and have no proven health benefits.

In the future they may have remove this criteria as it would make it too risky to invest in organic methods if someone down th e road uses GM methods. GM is here to stay, and rightly so, organic certification will have to change to account for cross contamination or disappear.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/28/gm-canola-organic-farmer-loses-court-case-over-alleged-contamination

Hopefully that won't happen. Why do you say "and rightly so" about GM being here to stay? In an ideal world there'd be no need for it surely?

Hopefully that won't happen. Why do you say "and rightly so" about GM being here to stay? In an ideal world there'd be no need for it surely?

There is no reason to fear GM and it could be majorly beneficial to society eg golden rice

• Advertisement

To me, the whole idea behind it seems to be that it's a solution to a Worldwide food demand issue which is influenced by the overconsumption of animal products and waste of resources and land to accommodate this and general overconsumption and that in an ideal World it would be possible for everyone to eat and thrive off local, organically grown produce. I don't know if I'm dreaming though :)

Advertisement