Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman killed, 7 injured in garda chase outside Kildare

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 thats_my_seat

Well it would show they recognise the prevelance of criminality in the community they represent and go a long way towards convincing people they are genuinely looking to improve life for travellers and address the issues internal to their community. Their current tactic of denial, blaming the settled community and blaming discrimination is merely furthering the alienation of the traveller community and achieving nothing.

pavee point do more harm than good for their community in that they instill a persecution complex within their community , they are all about rights for their community without any hint of concern for responsibilitys

vincent browne is another who does great harm in this area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Irish Times are trying to whoop up a campaign about the 14 year old traveller who was was denied a wake while ignoring the background of the individuals here, a background that almost inevitably leads to anti-social behaviour and misery for the rest of Irish society.
    The Irish Times is a comical caricature of the PC Liberal media. If the owner of the funeral parlour or relative of the innocent dead women were related to the Editor of the IT they'd unlikely have the same enlightened view which allows them to mount their high horse and look down on the rest of Irish society.

I saw something similar about the wake denial on 1) Rabble and 2) various angry individuals on my Facebook feed.

For some reason both groups seem to employ selective outrage. They're silent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

oh? really? so what training for high speed driving do the garda have then?
    Get a grip........a Polo's flat out top speed is about 216 km/h (134 mph).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The guards had called ahead for assistance due to the dangerous driving they witnessed which caused them to engage in going after the car. The people in the car were drinking and throwing beer bottles on the motorway, what did you want the guards to do, leave them off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

oh? really? so what training for high speed driving do the garda have then?

Forget about the training for a minute

If the guards on the scene had said to themselves "Sure look we're not equipped for this"
    Tuesday afternoons Joe Duffy would run as follows:

"I saw them Joe, they robbed my house and drove off in an ancient Polo and the gardai were afraid to follow them"

"They robbed me blind Joe, took every bit of silver outta the house and drove off, I had the reg number Joe, I gave it to the guards but they refused to do anything about it"

"It was an old Polo Joe, not a souped up BMW"

"The guards are chickens Joe, just chickens, claiming their big wages and doing nothin for the people of Nenagh"

Followed by the inevitable eye witness:
    "I saw the car Joe, it went through the M7 Toll without paying, not a garda car in sight, it was an old banger of a thing Joe, sure a man on a horse would keep up with it"

etcetera etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Hitchens wrote: »
    not an answer. what training for high speed driving do the garda have

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

A very sad case.I didn't even know the poor woman and I'm livid.imagine if that was your sister or someone close to you?

I was sitting at home two nights ago in my mother's house and a large rock the side of my fist hit the window , and another the front door.it was an extremely loud bang.door is dented and the outer pane of glass in the window is broken.my mother was upset and I would have been scared had I not been there.I ran straight out the door and after them. Bunch of 15-16 years old lads. Thick,****ing ignorant people in this country seem to be engaging in wreckless behaviour and the rest of us have to just out up with it.the carousel court systems will have to end and real reprocussions for crimes put in place.

If I'd have caught one of those scrotes the other night I'd have done time.I had a fairly hard upbringing myself so the disadvantaged childhood story doesn't wash with me at all.their futures are theirs to mold and they choose to break the rules.the sooner the law gets more hard with these people the better.

pc7 wrote: »
    The guards had called ahead for assistance due to the dangerous driving they witnessed which caused them to engage in going after the car. The people in the car were drinking and throwing beer bottles on the motorway, what did you want the guards to do, leave them off

sometimes, that might be a better option. the chase is what they want anyway

The traffic corps do extensive training in high speed driving amongst other things
    But we have no way of knowing if the gardai in this incident were TC or regular so there's no point speculating ?

These "lads" had a tonne of stolen gear in the car
    If you think they wanted a chase you are kidding yourself
    They wanted to escape

• Advertisement

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Forget about the training for a minute

If the guards on the scene had said to themselves "Sure look we're not equipped for this"
    Tuesday afternoons Joe Duffy would run as follows:

"I saw them Joe, they robbed my house and drove off in an ancient Polo and the gardai were afraid to follow them"

"They robbed me blind Joe, took every bit of silver outta the house and drove off, I had the reg number Joe, I gave it to the guards but they refused to do anything about it"

"It was an old Polo Joe, not a souped up BMW"

"The guards are chickens Joe, just chickens, claiming their big wages and doing nothin for the people of Nenagh"

Followed by the inevitable eye witness:
    "I saw the car Joe, it went through the M7 Toll without paying, not a garda car in sight, it was an old banger of a thing Joe, sure a man on a horse would keep up with it"

etcetera etc etc

frankly i couldn't care a less about the nonsense on the joe duffy show.

My point is
    for the guards its damned if you do, damned if you dont
    It was a lose lose situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The standard course is a three week one. There is a practical assessment of driving ability at the end of two weeks and a practical assessment of high speed driving ability, including lights and sirens at the end of week three. There are more advanced courses for members who drive vehicles more powerful than the standard fleet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Radly

You're kidding right?? Though it wouldn't surprise me the distance some people will go to to defend scum because they are a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

They weren't joyriders. They had a load of stolen gear and were driving a polo . The a st thing they wanted was a chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

you've obviously never driven then

Is there any point to you being in this thread?you add nothing and I mean nothing to the discussion.

The standard course is a three week one. There is a practical assessment of driving ability at the end of two weeks and a practical assessment of high speed driving ability, including lights and sirens at the end of week three. There are more advanced courses for members who drive vehicles more powerful than the standard fleet.

A major issue I'd imagine is the lack of money being spent on the fleet.my cousin is a guard and I'm regularly out with a few of her colleagues for drinks.they were telling me that the cars are standard 1.6 litre engines which is a joke.if you had a quicker , normal car like a Mitsubishi Galant you'd leave them for dust.they need faster cars and better equipment to ensure that these chases aren't drawn out.I've no problem paying extra taxes for a better equipped force. I feel extremely sorry for the gardai.they're demoralized too because of our court system and lack of funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

smurgen wrote: »
    A major issue I'd imagine is the lack of money being spent on the fleet.my cousin is a guard and I'm regularly out with a few of her colleagues for drinks.they were telling me that the cars are standard 1.6 litre engines which is a joke.if you had a quicker , normal car like a Mitsubishi Galant you'd leave them for dust.they need faster cars and better equipment to ensure that these chases aren't drawn out.I've no problem paying extra taxes for a better equipped force. I feel extremely sorry for the gardai.they're demoralized too because of our court system and lack of funding.

The Guards definitely need better cars. The majority of them are just normal family cars, paddy spec entry level Toyota Corollas/Avensis, Ford Mondeos. The cars also need to be modified for police work, brakes, anti-roll bars etc, but the ones the guards use are no different to what the person off the street would buy, the only difference being they are white with Gardai logo and lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Look if the gards aren't allowed chase these because they arent trained for high speed chases all these scum have to do is put the boot down and drive dangerous knowing the gards can't chase them.

Stupid idea.

• Advertisement

angelfire9 wrote: »
    My point is
    for the guards its damned if you do, damned if you dont
    It was a lose lose situation
    i know, all i'm saying effectively is that nobody should bother thinking about what is said on a radio show known for rabel rabel ranting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Assuming it is the more common 1.0l Polo then its top speed was a mere 94mph, less with 5 in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Eutow wrote: »
    The cars also need to be modified for police work, brakes, anti-roll bars etc, but the ones the guards use are no different to what the person off the street would buy, the only difference being they are white with Gardai logo and lights.

Can someone confirm if that's true? That'd be insane :eek:
    Surely they'd have upgraded brakes, heavy duty bumpers, suspension and all that stuff?

you've obviously never driven then

other people bothered to take the time to answer the question even though it was technically aimed at you. but not answering a question is typical of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

smurgen wrote: »
    Is there any point to you being in this thread?you add nothing and I mean nothing to the discussion.
    Yeh I'm fairly left-wing but sometimes patterns are patterns - doesn't mean I think all travellers are thugs or that they should be exterminated.

I can never understand the denial of something for fear of being seen to stray from a particular ideological position, or worse again, just going against the grain for the sake of it.
    It's as inflexible as people on the right denying what the Palestinians are made to endure, so as not to be seen to drift "to the left".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

wexie wrote: »
    Surely they'd have upgraded brakes, heavy duty bumpers, suspension and all that stuff?

They have a radio (not a music one) and sirens. That's basically the difference. They even wanted to remove the air con features to save on fuel.

Yeh I'm fairly left-wing but sometimes patterns are patterns - doesn't mean I think all travellers are thugs or that they should be exterminated.

I can never understand the denial of something for fear of being seen to stray from a particular ideological position, or worse again, just going against the grain for the sake of it.
    It's as inflexible as people on the right denying what the Palestinians are made to endure, so as not to be seen to drift "to the left".

neither can i. . such denial or going against the grain for the sake of it hasn't happened in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The ERU of the Gardaí would have modified Volvos alright and I'd imagine the SDU and similar units have access to high powered vehicles. I don't see why local Gardaí should need anything more special than i30s but the Transit connects are not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I know this is from the Irish Times, but it's all I got. It wouldn't suprise me anyway if true.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garda-cars-not-fit-for-purpose-1.1975710

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

€54,000,000,000 a year the government spend, yet we dont have an extra few thousand for a few more powerful models than the less powerful ones they order?! I drive a 2.5L and wouldnt consider that large engined, the guards are driving around in 1.6's etc, it would be funny if it werent such a joke! But we do have cash for the Xmas bonus, cutting income tax etc...

motor tax and the majority of the cost of a litre of fuel, go right back to the government, the cost of getting some adequately powered cars, cant be that much more than equivalent lesser powered models!

Advertisement