Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want a simple program to get stronger?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Hanley wrote: »

Cheers might give this a run for 4 weeks and then try the program outlined here, looks like a nice lead in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Cheers might give this a run for 4 weeks and then try the program outlined here, looks like a nice lead in

You'd be better doing it in reverse tbh.

Outlined program x8 weeks
    Spreadsheet 2x 4 week blocks

Reason being - the one in the first post is very much a preparation / volume / muscle building cycle.

The one in the spreadsheet is more about taking what oyu already have and making it stronger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Hanley wrote: »
    You'd be better doing it in reverse tbh.

Outlined program x8 weeks
    Spreadsheet 2x 4 week blocks

Reason being - the one in the first post is very much a preparation / volume / muscle building cycle.

The one in the spreadsheet is more about taking what oyu already have and making it stronger :)

Sounds good, been doing front squats and rack deadlifts every second workout the last few months after a relapse of a slipped disc, so will be good to get into a 3x week workout again.

Look forward to posting the results - already dreading leg day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Is a press day too much or would you be better off incorporating shoulder work in the bench day?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

FTA69 wrote: »
    Is a press day too much or would you be better off incorporating shoulder work in the bench day?

You could probably do it but there would be an overlap of the muscles being used on bench day so you'd need to time it so there's recovery time between it and bench day and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just separate the pressing days from each other evenly - same with squats and deadifts;

M:Bench
    Tu/W:Deadlift
    Th/F:Press
    S:Squat
    Su: Rest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I've been following this program with great results but thinking about changing things up soon for a while. How does greg nuckols program compare?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I've been following this program with great results but thinking about changing things up soon for a while. How does greg nuckols program compare?

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

cloudatlas wrote: »

What kind of results did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

started this today with Deadlift as main lift...definetly can get done in an hour.

looking forward to seeing where i am on week 12

• Advertisement

guile4582 wrote: »
    started this today with Deadlift as main lift...definetly can get done in an hour.

looking forward to seeing where i am on week 12

Are you only doing deadlift? What about the other days of the week

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you only doing deadlift? What about the other days of the week

Day One Deadlift (Mon)
    Day Two Squats (weds)
    Day Three Bench (fri)

Day One Deadlift (Mon)
    Day Two Squats (weds)
    Day Three Bench (fri)

If it suits, I'd put bench between Deads and squats.

If it suits, I'd put bench between Deads and squats.

yeah can do that..thing was i play football on a tuesday...did not want squats the day before that!!! dom di dom dom DOMMMMM!!

yeah can do that..thing was i play football on a tuesday...did not want squats the day before that!!! dom di dom dom DOMMMMM!!

Deadlift Monday, bench Wednesday and Squat on Friday. Means you won't be squatting after football

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't see how deadlifts before football is any better!

Zillah wrote: »
    I don't see how deadlifts before football is any better!

dl is my favourite and best lift and at 70% in week one all good in the hood

if i cant walk next day i just dont play..simples

Day One Deadlift (Mon)
    Day Two Squats (weds)
    Day Three Bench (fri)

I've started this Pull, Push, Legs routine as a complete beginner: http://www.myprotein.com/thezone/training/push-pull-legs-routine-best-mass-building-workout-split/

Is it similar principle to the above?

[
    Is it similar principle to the above?
    Not really that similar. It's a mass routine so the rep ranges are higher, and the exercises are grouped by push/pull/legs rather than bodypart/lift focused.

But it's mostly compound lifts with some assistance so that's in something in common

It's also more prescriptive than legs-push-pull in a temporal sense insofar as you build towards testing after 7 weeks and you can repeat with new maxes to base off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Took a gym hiatus that continued far too long and I'm looking to get back on the train. This was always my go-to program so would like to jump back into it. Only problem is that I have more than a couple of kgs to shed first. Is it advisable to run this on a deficit? How would progression (more suitably lack thereof) be managed in that case?

Took a gym hiatus that continued far too long and I'm looking to get back on the train. This was always my go-to program so would like to jump back into it. Only problem is that I have more than a couple of kgs to shed first. Is it advisable to run this on a deficit? How would progression (more suitably lack thereof) be managed in that case?

Test your max as it is now and then run the program. Its only 6 weeks so you should probably be able to get through a few weeks before missing any reps. No harm in seeing how it goes anyway before deciding how best to manage any discrepancy between what you can do and what the program dictates.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Question about the calculations... How do I find my 1RM? Have been gymming for a while now but was dieting for most of that (and not gaining any strength) and am now trying to get stronger so just doing compound lifts (in a surplus) for various sets/reps/weights and wouldn't know where to begin with this. I also live abroad where I don't speak the language and train alone so am nervous to move up to heavier weights as I am afraid of testing the limits... 
    Today I benched 27.5kg for 5x5. With such low numbers to begin with, how am I supposed to go up through further progressions? 30kg 5x4? and then what? 32.5 5x3, 35 5x2? 
    Also I understand more or less about the differences between training for strength and size, but it would be pretty hard to run this programme and not put on size right?

Question about the calculations... How do I find my 1RM? Have been gymming for a while now but was dieting for most of that (and not gaining any strength) and am now trying to get stronger so just doing compound lifts (in a surplus) for various sets/reps/weights and wouldn't know where to begin with this. I also live abroad where I don't speak the language and train alone so am nervous to move up to heavier weights as I am afraid of testing the limits... 
    Today I benched 27.5kg for 5x5. With such low numbers to begin with, how am I supposed to go up through further progressions? 30kg 5x4? and then what? 32.5 5x3, 35 5x2? 
    Also I understand more or less about the differences between training for strength and size, but it would be pretty hard to run this programme and not put on size right?

You can test your maxes to a point you're comfortable with. If it's not your true max, then so be it. It's not going to be a limiting factor.

You will put on size if you eat enough. If you don't you won't. If you eat more, you can build more muscle and lift more. If you don't eat more, you won't build the same muscle but that doesn't mean you can't get stronger.

There is a lot of work in there, especially in the early weeks, so you'll need to eat a bit more to recover. That will be obvious after your first leg day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Judging by your name, you're a female, which for many makes this doubly hard imo, even if you are eating a surplus.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Depends on how much you eat really. As you female? If so I wouldn't worry about.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Thanks guys. Yes, female. Lost 15kg in about 15months from diet and resistance training (not much cardio by most standards), but obviously the newbie gains didn't go very quick or for very long as I was in a deficit the whole time. In fairly good shape now but just a bit sticky so the goal is to put on some muscle now. Everything is slowly on the increase - food, weight + measurements, and lifts. Things are going okay I just a) don't want to just pile on loads of fat so am trying to do this slowly and sensibly and b) current programme no longer suits me as it's too bodybuildery and I'm not interested squatting 4x10 or whatever of any substantial weight! I also am just too busy to be doing a bloody shoulder and biceps day, I think there's plenty in three days of this to constitute a decent week of training. 
    I understand this is aimed at those who want to improve compound lifts and not people who want to just grow their legs (like me) or lats or whatever the case may be, but I can't see how if I did this in a surplus, with heavier compound lifts, and my chosen assistance exercises (gotta love that E) that I wouldn't put size on where I wanted it? I accept I'll be putting on some fat obviously, I already have, but I was just seeking reassurance that training to get stronger with this programme is hardly that different from training to get bigger?

Deficit would be fine.
    It might be a reduced progress compared to a surplus. But that would probably be offset by muscle memory/strength returning
    Question about the calculations... How do I find my 1RM?

Test with 30kg (use a spotter or safety bar if you like). See how many reps you can comfortably get.
    1rm = 3Xkg...where X is the number of reps you get.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thanks guys. Yes, female. Lost 15kg in about 15months from diet and resistance training (not much cardio by most standards), but obviously the newbie gains didn't go very quick or for very long as I was in a deficit the whole time. In fairly good shape now but just a bit sticky so the goal is to put on some muscle now. Everything is slowly on the increase - food, weight + measurements, and lifts. Things are going okay I just a) don't want to just pile on loads of fat so am trying to do this slowly and sensibly and b) current programme no longer suits me as it's too bodybuildery and I'm not interested squatting 4x10 or whatever of any substantial weight! I also am just too busy to be doing a bloody shoulder and biceps day, I think there's plenty in three days of this to constitute a decent week of training. 
    I understand this is aimed at those who want to improve compound lifts and not people who want to just grow their legs (like me) or lats or whatever the case may be, but I can't see how if I did this in a surplus, with heavier compound lifts, and my chosen assistance exercises (gotta love that E) that I wouldn't put size on where I wanted it? I accept I'll be putting on some fat obviously, I already have, but I was just seeking reassurance that training to get stronger with this programme is hardly that different from training to get bigger?

Good to hear you want to get bigger :). Here's the thing, you shouldn't be doing a bodybuilder program IMO. It's wasted on you. You should be doing something like this to get stronger, depending on your current lifts.

If you drive towards a 1.5 bw squat and deadlift, you will have some serious legs to show off. I don't know how far off this you are, but it doesn't need to be a short term goal.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

deadlifting alone (really only been doing this exercise 2 years) has grown my legs something crazy from what they were. Actually at a stage where i dont want them to get any bigger (or i am too cheap to buy new jeans!)!! I have learned the hard way that with these lifts - stretching and flexibility exercises/sessions are of vital importance to go hand in hand - slowly getting my flexibility back

Advertisement