Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want a simple program to get stronger?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 2:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

A) Main Lift
    B) Something hard like the main lift 5x8
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muslces as the main lift 4x12
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12

Main lift progressions:
    70% 5x8+
    75% 5x6+
    80% 5x5+
    85% 5x4+
    90% 5x3+
    95% 5x2+

...then do it all again with 5kg more, and retest. You should be easily tripling (and more) the starting 1RM inside of the 10-12 weeks

B/C/D/E change to something else after the first 6 weeks too.

The last set on the main lift is "+" which is "as many reps as you can do, without failing".

Most of you won't do this for the next 12 weeks tho. Despite claiming you want to be stronger.

Ya know why? Because the grass is always greener, and the above is REALLY hard work.

But there ya go. It's there if you want it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

If you could re write that in English I'd give it a go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you could re write that in English I'd give it a go

No sweat. That's just €247.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Squat day, Deadlift day and Bench day?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »

Yup. Maybe even an overhead press day or a "get any big movement you want stronger" day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Hanley wrote: »

Most of you won't do this for the next 12 weeks tho. Despite claiming you want to be stronger.

Ya know why? Because the grass is always greener, and the above is REALLY hard work.

But there ya go. It's there if you want it.

I ran a version of this before where I nicked the rep progression off a post of yours (your cheques in the post!) This is actually better again.
    The morning after week 1 squat day I'd have to put a topical painkiller on the legs just to get down the stairs to out deep heat on them

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Yup. Maybe even an overhead press day or a "get any big movement you want stronger" day too.

Aye, I see what you mean. Personally I'd stick with a 3 day plan. Squat, press and deadlift for 12 weeks.

they/them/theirs

I should also say, E is very important. People just don't seem happy unless they do something body buildery.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I should also say, E is very important.

Es are good! Es are good!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Just did 5x5 135kg today high bar squats. Gonna probably have doms tomorow.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭biffo2014

Just curious, what sort of reps or weight would someone use doing this program like mentioned above for 12 weeks?

Is it just for strength or strength and size?

• Advertisement

biffo2014 wrote: »
    Just curious, what sort of reps or weight would someone use doing this program like mentioned above for 12 weeks?

The main list is based on the 1RM for that lift.

The others exercises depends on what weight you can do those sets and reps for without failing but without being too easy. That will differ for different people.

Thanks for that. And is that progression in the opening post all in one workout? Or for example is it 70% for one week and progress from there?

Nutrition wise would it better to eat more on my rest days?

Thanks for that. And is that progression in the opening post all in one workout? Or for example is it 70% for one week and progress from there?

Nutrition wise would it better to eat more on my rest days?

6 workouts, each line represents a week.

Nutrition depends on your goals. But if you changed nothing else, that program would still get you significantly stronger.

Cheers Hanley. I really like the progression.

Now if I could figure out a way to use this template while squatting and benching twice per week. Maybe...

Day 1 - squat
    Day 2 - bench
    Day 3 - off
    Day 4 - deadlift
    Day 5 - off
    Day 6 - lighter squat and heavy bench
    Day 7 - off

I guess a question like that is what I'd have to pay you for.

gvn wrote: »
    Cheers Hanley. I really like the progression.

Now if I could figure out a way to use this template while squatting and benching twice per week. Maybe...

Day 1 - squat
    Day 2 - bench
    Day 3 - off
    Day 4 - deadlift
    Day 5 - off
    Day 6 - lighter squat and heavy bench
    Day 7 - off

I guess a question like that is what I'd have to pay you for.

You could just squat and bench once a week and still get just as strong.

You could also have front squats on your deadlift day...

Maybe... I like high frequency though.

Yep. Was just thinking that. And then throw in the 4th OHP day and include some bench assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Post didn't even get to a second page when someone tried to modify the simplest program in the world.

kevpants wrote: »
    Post didn't even get to a second page when someone tried to modify the simplest program in the world.

Well he gave the daily structure. Just trying to figure out how you'd fit that into a week. Didn't cross my mind that he meant to only do each lift once per week... sounds alien to me since I've been doing Candito's programme (generally 2 lower and 2-3 upper days per week).

Maybe another stupid question but if I just squat and bench once a week for 12 weeks. Would I also develop much mass?

Maybe another stupid question but if I just squat and bench once a week for 12 weeks. Would I also develop much mass?

But you're not just squatting for 12 weeks. You're also doing a ton of assistance work.

Which will probably lead to you developing more mass in the next 12 weeks than you have in that last 12.

• Advertisement

What Hanley said.

There's 3-4 training days amd each day has 5 exercises.

Think outside the A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

I'm keen to give this a go, been looking for a new program to work with.

Power first ok? Snatches/Cleans/Box Jumps? Maybe a 3x3 or 5

cc87 wrote: »
    I'm keen to give this a go, been looking for a new program to work with.

Power first ok? Snatches/Cleans/Box Jumps? Maybe a 3x3 or 5

YNDTP. So I can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

This doesn't have a catchy name, not a chance I'm doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭COH

Can I do this program without doing A, B or C? I want to train twice a day too.

And can I change D to swimming? Why isnt there an 'G'? I feel like there should be deloads too.

Also if you could post your private mobile number up to answer questions by text whenever it suits me too that'd be great. God there's actually so much involved in this already I didnt sign up to this. Can we talk about this on facebook? Why didn't you reply to my email?

See you in 13 weeks when its your fault your program that I didnt do didnt work. What a waste of money!

To be honest, Im only a newbie to the gym/Strength training. So still cant figure out OP. Could someone make it simpler for me? Help a poor student :(

Don't do that. Benching without
    Back work is a terrible idea.

If you're going to start that next week, do a squat, dead lift and bench day.

If you can only get to the gym twice a week, keep the same order.

they/them/theirs

To be honest, Im only a newbie to the gym/Strength training. So still cant figure out OP. Could someone make it simpler for me? Help a poor student :(

http://revolutionfitness.ie/free6weektransformation

A) Main Lift-
    B) Something hard like the main lift 5x8
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muslces as the main lift 4x12
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12

Take squat as the main lift.
    Then something like RDL for B.
    Lunges for C
    Hamstring Curls for D
    Leg extensions for E

There are better sets of exercises but that's just an idea. The B-E are geared towards improving the A. The weights for B-E are based on what you find difficult to do properly for those sets and reps.

• Advertisement

COH wrote: »
    Can I do this program without doing A, B or C? I want to train twice a day too.

And can I change D to swimming? Why isnt there an 'G'? I feel like there should be deloads too.

Also if you could post your private mobile number up to answer questions by text whenever it suits me too that'd be great. God there's actually so much involved in this already I didnt sign up to this. Can we talk about this on facebook? Why didn't you reply to my email?

See you in 13 weeks when its your fault your program that I didnt do didnt work. What a waste of money!

I know this is tongue in cheek, but passing in knowledge is what this forum is all about. Hanley knew better than most what what questions were coming.

Let's try not to scare off the new posters. The ones who genuinely need help.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement