Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want a simple program to get stronger?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    As in start back at 5x10, 5x8, 5x7 then 5x5, 5x4, 5x3?
    Is that with the 5kg added to the max then recalculated?

Yes to the first. No to the second.

If adding weight, dont add reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hanley wrote: »
    Yes to the first. No to the second.

If adding weight, dont add reps.

Ok I'll go with the added reps.
    Finding the program great. Definatley getting stronger.
    Thanks

Ok I'll go with the added reps.
    Finding the program great. Definatley getting stronger.
    Thanks

Cheques made payable to James "strength jesus" Hanley please.

Any numbers you can feedback yet?

Hanley wrote: »
    Cheques made payable to James "strength jesus" Hanley please.

Any numbers you can feedback yet?

Nothing yet really. A total newbie to any kind of program like this. I'll test my 1RM after the 12 weeks. I'm sure I'll smash it. I'd say if I tested today is probably beat them too. Actually raging I'm going on holidays and the fact it's disrupting the last couple of weeks of the program for me but I'll manage something

Can anybody reccomend some good B/C/D/E excersises for deadlift day?
    I'm doing trap bar deadlifting as I have to watch my lower back.
    For the first six weeks I was doing lat pulldowns which I'll change to BW pullups for the next 6.
    I was doing seated cable rows, reverse flys, shrugs and core work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Are you just looking at back work, or glute/hams too?

Rack pulls maybe? Barbell rows too - if you are looking at posterior chain stuff generally, RDLs, glute pull-throughs, back extensions could possibly work for the accessory lifts, though I'm no expert.

Are you just looking at back work, or glute/hams too?

I do a lot of leg work on squat day so I was hoping those Doms only came once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Barbell rows and RDLs anyway. Pull throughs or hamstring curls or step ups

I do a lot of leg work on squat day so I was hoping those Doms only came once a week.

What do you do on that day?

What do you do on that day?

A squat
    b front squat
    C walking lunges
    D leg curls
    E leg extensions
    I do 3x10 calf raises after that

• Advertisement

A squat
    b front squat
    C walking lunges
    D leg curls
    E leg extensions
    I do 3x10 calf raises after that

Not much hitting hamstrings there so hamstring and glute exercises.

Not much hitting hamstrings there so hamstring and glute exercises.

Would the lunges not? My glutes are still burning today and it was Friday morning when I did the workout

Your deadlift needs a lot of glute and hamstring strength. You won't get that from lunges alone.

Your deadlift needs a lot of glute and hamstring strength. You won't get that from lunges alone.

Would I be better off adding extra glute and hamstring work into squat day and concentrate on the back on deadlift day? Or mix it up?

Would I be better off adding extra glute and hamstring work into squat day and concentrate on the back on deadlift day? Or mix it up?

The deadlift isn't a back exercise though.

The deadlift isn't a back exercise though.

But a strong back for the deadlift is vital though isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I definitely would be adding in another hip hinge movement on deadlift day if possible.

For the next 6 weeks I was thinking something like
    A deadlift
    B pull-ups
    C RDL's
    D barbell rows
    E hamstring curls
    How does that look?

A deadlift
    B pull-ups
    C RDL's
    D barbell rows
    E hamstring curls
    How does that look?

That looks a bit more balanced. You should have a better idea what you need to strengthen after that.

One thing...I'd be inclined to swap pull ups with rows there.

That looks a bit more balanced. You should have a better idea what you need to strengthen after that.

One thing...I'd be inclined to swap pull ups with rows there.

I'll try but Jesus I don't think id manage 4x12 pull-ups but I can always work up to it I guess

• Advertisement

I'll try but Jesus I don't think id manage 4x12 pull-ups but I can always work up to it I guess

Lat pulldowns. I probably should have said that but I forgot the set/rep scheme :)

Lat pulldowns. I probably should have said that but I forgot the set/rep scheme :)

I've been doing lat pulldowns for the first 6 weeks. The idea was that they'd give me more of a base to go for the pull-ups for the last 6 weeks

I've been doing lat pulldowns for the first 6 weeks. The idea was that they'd give me more of a base to go for the pull-ups for the last 6 weeks

You don't necessarily have to change it.

The reason I'd put the rows ahead of them is because they reinforce the hip hinge and you work on loading the glutes and hamstrings when they're done properly.

Edit: But I'm no expert. It's a 12-week gig and there's nothing to say you can't go on and do something similar and switch these things up again. You can't do everything in 12 weeks but you should get stronger with what you had planned anyway

You don't necessarily have to change it.

The reason I'd put the rows ahead of them is because they reinforce the hip hinge and you work on loading the glutes and hamstrings when they're done properly.
    Ok I'll put them ahead of pull-ups. I'd like to keep the pull-ups in too and hopefully by week six I'll be able to do 4x12

Here's a slightly different "program builder" I put out last week.

Each of the main categories has 10 different drop down options for substitution movements.

https://revolutionfitness.leadpages.co/2016-online-prg-dl-friends-lists/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A deadlift
    B pull-ups
    C RDL's
    D barbell rows
    E hamstring curls
    How does that look?

Pull-ups are a great exercise but I don't think they fit the "like the main lift" qualifier from the OP.

For B & C I'd be going with RDL's, Rack pull, Snatch grip, etc. Deficit or stiff leg deadlifts are other options, but probably not for you right now with back issues.

D & E: GHR, Leg Curl, Hip Thrust, Glute Machine

Mellor wrote: »
    Pull-ups are a great exercise but I don't think they fit the "like the main lift" qualifier from the OP.

For B & C I'd be going with RDL's, Rack pull, Snatch grip, etc. Deficit or stiff leg deadlifts are other options, but probably not for you right now with back issues.

D & E: GHR, Leg Curl, Hip Thrust, Glute Machine

Just a thought, not to be changing the program as such, but would it be any harm add in a pull up day? It's something I want to improve on.
    That way I could do a lot of upper back work and biceps

Just a thought, not to be changing the program as such, but would it be any harm add in a pull up day? It's something I want to improve on.
    That way I could do a lot of upper back work and biceps

Should be fine once you're not having a negative impact on the program itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

I am in week 2 now of this and am loving it - it is absolutely bossing me, don't think I ever focused that much volume on one muscle group before, I guess all of my old programs were a little weak!

Question though:

For B-E, lets say you go to failure on C and only manage 3x8 and on the fourth set you fail on rep 6. Should you finish the set on 6 reps then go to failure again maintaining the weight on the fifth set - and lets say, only manage 5 this time.

OR should you be looking to hit the rep numbers every time, and if it involves reducing the weight for the remainder of the reps in that set then so be it. eg DB shoulderpress, reps 1-6 at 20kg, then drop to 17.5kg for reps 7 & 8, then start set 5 back up at 20kg, go to failure then reduce the weight again as necessary

Cheers

• Advertisement

granty1987 wrote: »
    I am in week 2 now of this and am loving it - it is absolutely bossing me, don't think I ever focused that much volume on one muscle group before, I guess all of my old programs were a little weak!

Question though:

For B-E, lets say you go to failure on C and only manage 3x8 and on the fourth set you fail on rep 6. Should you finish the set on 6 reps then go to failure again maintaining the weight on the fifth set - and lets say, only manage 5 this time.

OR should you be looking to hit the rep numbers every time, and if it involves reducing the weight for the remainder of the reps in that set then so be it. eg DB shoulderpress, reps 1-6 at 20kg, then drop to 17.5kg for reps 7 & 8, then start set 5 back up at 20kg, go to failure then reduce the weight again as necessary

Cheers

If you're on week 2 and you're not making all the reps on the 4th set of C, then you probably started too heavy or you jumped too much from week 1.

Is it specifically the DB overhead press you're having a problem, with and how did it go on week 1?

Advertisement