Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harty Cup 14/15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

A Hamilton High School Bandon V Ardscoil Rís
    B Rochestown College V Nenagh CBS
    C Castletroy CC V Pobalscoil na Tríonóide Youghal
    D Thurles CBS V Gaelcolaiste Mhuire AG

Predictions:
    A ASR
    B RoCo
    C Castletroy
    D Thurles

A v B ASR

C v D Thurles

Final

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

That would be the form back in Harty hurling for the last few years anyway as both these teams have been competitive for a good few years now. I wouldn't know a lot about the Cork teams though so I cant give any predictions with any great certainty. I'd be confident enough in Thurles as they have a good side & I think they can definitely get to the final if they hurl to their potential. Nenagh i'm not so sure about. I'd be more hopeful than confident being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hurleratheart

Anyone any word on venues yet? Caher, Mallow ? double headers would be great but never work out that well

pity they dont fix all the knock outs at weekends, there always good old interest in harty, it would be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Anyone any word on venues yet? Caher, Mallow ? double headers would be great but never work out that well

pity they dont fix all the knock outs at weekends, there always good old interest in harty, it would be worth it

CPPS don't do double headers on school days. Rochestown/Nenagh will probably be Cahir like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Harty cup quater final this Friday

Ag mhurie v Thurles 1.30.kilmallock
    All other games the following Wednesday 14th venues TBC still

• Advertisement

All games at 1:30pm unless otherwise stated
    Dr. Harty Cup Under 18 1/2 A Hurling Quarter-Final Draw
    A Hamilton High School Bandon V Ard Scoil Ris – January 14th at 1:30pm in Mallow
    B Rochestown V Nenagh CBS – January 14th at 1:30pm in Charleville
    C Castletroy CC V PS Youghal – January 14th at 1:30pm in Cahir
    D Thurles CBS V Gaelcolaiste Mhuire AG – January 9th at 1:30pm in Kilmallock

Thurles beat Gaelcolaiste Mhuire AG today 2.8 to 1.10. I heard Thurles hit 11 wides in the 2nd half and were lucky not to throw this match away. Also there wing back was sent off after the final whistle but I am not sure what actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GAA2TheCore

how did dayne lee play for the ag ?

I wasn't at the match, just heard the result and that there was a red card handed out after the match. TTM1 who is often on the Cork forumwas at it though i'm fairly sure.

Played well at midfield I felt

Got a goal but twas lucky bounced ball derived goalie

Thurles lack real forwards score wise but butler class apart

Gunning done well but some tactical imo were questionable in Ag played sweeper when there still behind

• Advertisement

Report from Hogan Stand Forum

Harty Cup: Wasteful Thurles survive major battle
    12 January 2015

Ciarán Ó hAinifín (Gaelcolaiste Mhuire AG), Richard Moloney (Referee) and Ronan Teehan (Thurles CBS) before the coin toss
    Report by Ed Donnelly from Fitzgerald Park Kilmallock

Thurles CBS 2-8
    Gaelcoláiste Mhuire AG (Cork) 1-10

Thurles CBS are back in to the semi-final of the Dr. Harty Cup after a gap of two years after a hard earned victory on Friday last over a Gaelcoláiste Mhuire AG side which made them battle right to the final whistle.

Thurles were unbackable favourites with the bookies before this game but Harty Cup knockout games played in heavy conditions in January seldom follow the pre-match script.

This was a tough game played in good spirits as both sides battled for every ball as if their life depended on it. Blustery conditions were the order of the day and the cross-field wind favoured the Cork side in the first half. And what a start Gaelcoláiste Mhuire AG produced as they found their scoring touch early and often. A brace of points from Donal Ó Conaing (1 free) and Adam Ó Donnabháin followed by a point by midfielder and Cork Senior Hurling panellist Dayne Ó Laoi put them in front by 0-5 to 0-0 after 8 minutes.

Thurles needed a score and though Jack Butler was denied a goal in the 11th minute following a good save by Donal Ó Conaing, the impressive Upperchurch-Drombane forward would not be denied a minute later when he latched on to a break following a Robbie Long delivery to raise a green flag. This was a crucial score as Gaelcoláiste Mhuire AG seemed shell-shocked after such a good start. The teams traded points entering the second quarter before Butler found midfielder Billy McCarthy in space and the Thurles Sarsfields clubman made no mistake to score a second goal for Thurles and amazingly put them in front, 2-1 to 0-6 after 21 minutes. Drom & Inch sharpshooter Robbie Long added two points from play, the first an audacious effort from distance in to the teeth of the gale force wind and by the interval, Thurles CBS led by 2-4 to 0-7.

The pattern of play did not change in the early stages of the second half as the aerial ability of Thurles CBS full-forward came to the fore with two outstanding catches being converted in to points and the Tipperary side led by five points with 35 minutes on the clock. A one-sided second half looked on the cards as the Thurles dominance extended to most sectors. Gaelcoláiste Mhuire AG had other ideas and when Dayne Ó Laoi’s tame one handed effort somehow found its way past William Tierney for a goal, the Cork side were right back in to contention. Dayne Ó Laoi followed up with a point soon afterwards now Thurles led by the minimum, 2-6 to 1-8.

Gaelcoláiste Mhuire AG had now deployed their full-forward Adam Ó Donnabháin to act as an additional defender and though Thurles CBS continued their dominance of possession, Ó Donnabháin defended heroically to cut off the supply to the inside forward line of Thurles. A nervous Thurles outfit now looked to find scores from long range but to the dismay of their mentors and supporters, hit 12 consecutive wides during a 20 minute second half barren spell to keep the Cork school in the game. Gaelcoláiste Mhuire AG had chances to level the game during this period but were unable to register a score, seeing a couple of shots drop short against the wind.

The scoring drought finally ended ii the 55th minute as Jack Butler pointed to put Thurles two points up only to see Donal Ó Conaing convert a free within a minute. The exchanges were now frantic as the large crowd rose to support two committed teams in the search for victory. With a minute of normal time left, Niall Heffernan pointed a difficult free to put two points in it again. Donal Ó Conaing responded again with a free and as the game entered injury time, Gaelcoláiste Mhuire AG put everything in to getting an equaliser and forcing extra time. In the 63rd minute, Evan Ó Síocháin won possession 45 metres from goal and though under pressure, went on a long solo run as the space opened up in front of him. Under pressure from Dillon Quirke and Cathal Moloney, the Cork forward rolled the dice and went for glory only to see his goalbound shot well saved by William Tierney in the Thurles goal. Seconds later the final whistle sounded and Thurles had secured victory by a solitary point.

After the final whistle, there was a short skirmish involving both teams which resulted in referee Richard Moloney brandishing a straight red card to Thurles CBS wing-back Ronan Heffernan who now looks set to miss the semi-final against the winners of Pobalscoil Na Tríonóide and Castletroy College.

Thurles CBS will be relieved to have gotten over the line in this game but made life oh so difficult for themselves with 15 second half wides (including 12 on the trot) and 20 wides altogether. Such inaccuracy if repeated in the semi-final will not suffice and is certainly an area for improvement for the Thurles mentors over the next 3 weeks ahead of the January 31st semi-final. For Thurles, most of their better players were in defence who all played well as a unit. Billy McCarthy hit a lot of ball at midfield while up front, Jack Butler and Robbie Long combined for 1-5 from play which proved crucial in a low scoring game. Gaelcoláiste Mhuire AG were best served by Eadbhard Ó Conaing, Dayne Ó Laoi, Donal Ó Conaing and Adam Ó Donnabháin.

THURLES CBS: William Tierney (Thurles Sarsfields); Dillon Quirke (Clonoulty-Rossmore), Jack Derby (Thurles Sarsfields), Enda Heffernan (Clonoulty-Rossmore); Jack Skehan (Holycross-Ballycahill), Chris McCullagh (Moycarkey-Borris), Ronan Heffernan (Clonoulty-Rossmore); Billy McCarthy (Thurles Sarsfields, 1-0), Cathal Moloney (Thurles Sarsfields); Ronan Teehan (Gortnahoe-Glengoole, Captain, 0-1), Kevin Duggan (Galmoy), Niall Heffernan (Moycarkey-Borris, 0-1 free); Brendan Kelly (Rathdowney-Errill, 0-2), Robbie Long (Drom & Inch, 0-2), Jack Butler (Upperchurch-Drombane, 1-2). Subs: Michael Connors (Drom & Inch) for Duggan (47), Matt Stakelum (Holycross-Ballycahill) for Kelly (54, injured), Rory Purcell (Thurles Sarsfields) for Teehan (60).

GAELCHOLÁISTE MHUIRE AG: D Ó Conaill (Na Piarsaigh); A Ó Súilleabháin (Glen Rovers), E Ó Conaing (Na Piarsaigh), R Ó Meara (Na Piarsaigh); A Breathnach (Na Piarsaigh), J Ó Muireasa (Na PIarsaigh), E Ó Caoimh (Na Piarsaigh); L Ó Cochláin (Glen Rovers), D Ó Laoi (Na Piarsaigh, 1-3); C Ó hAinifín (Na Piarsaigh), E Ó Laoire (Na Piarsaigh), K Ó hEathairn (Na Piarsaigh); D Ó Conaing (Na Piarsaigh, 0-5, 0-4 frees), A Ó Donnabháin (Glen Rovers, 0-2), E Ó Síocháin (Na Piarsaigh). Subs: B Ó Ceallacháin (Na Piarsaigh) for Breathnach (24, injured), P de Faoite (Glen Rovers) for Ó hEathairn (half-time).

My predictions for tomorrow: Youghal/Castletroy a draw Rochestown by 3, and Ard Scoil by 3. Mind you the wind could turn things into a lottery and anything might happen. Rumour out there that Ronan Lynch might be out If that transpires, Hammies by 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

My predictions for tomorrow: Youghal/Castletroy a draw Rochestown by 3, and Ard Scoil by 3. Mind you the wind could turn things into a lottery and anything might happen. Rumour out there that Ronan Lynch might be out If that transpires, Hammies by 1.

Yes great opportunity for HHS today if game goes ahead as ASR badly hit by injuries and illness to key players with more than Lynch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

All three games are off.

Re-fixtures likely for later this week??????? - Fri/Sat maybe??
    Rochestown creating a problem for fixture makers given their dual mandate - might be under pressure there to get Harty Q/final out of the way this week?

Rochestown creating a problem for fixture makers given their dual mandate - might be under pressure there to get Harty Q/final out of the way this week?

They may have to. They have Corn Ui Mhuiri next week, Symcox final the week after and the Harty Semis are down for the week after! Tough going.

Nothing can be confirmed really as another weather warning on the way high gale force winds and flooding
    Friday reschedule games is quite common and not irregular so I think very likely possibly but weather is a lottery

I wouldnt say just saturday only possibly rule out a sunday either in harty cup games have been played on Sunday as history would suggest could happen

Cu Baire wrote: »
    Yes great opportunity for HHS today if game goes ahead as ASR badly hit by injuries and illness to key players with more than Lynch out.

disappointing those games off, and ArdScoil will have benefit of extra days

hoepfully rearranged soon

Denis Hurley a brilliant writer who does brilliant work in the harty cup and indeed all schools gaa said in the cork thread likely be tommorrow or Friday munster gaa trying for

Today they done the right think calling it off early players safety must always come first

Denis Hurley a brilliant writer who does brilliant work in the harty cup and indeed all schools gaa said in the cork thread likely be tommorrow or Friday munster gaa trying for

Today they done the right think calling it off early players safety must always come first

The word I'm hearing is Rochestown and Nenagh is down for Charleville at 1 tomorrow, weather and pitch permitting.

• Advertisement

Figsy32 wrote: »
    The word I'm hearing is Rochestown and Nenagh is down for Charleville at 1 tomorrow, weather and pitch permitting.
    Thanks for that
    Conditions are going to be poor unfortunately with wind and rain snow gone now
    If it's as bad tomorrow should cancel the game
    I know there mad get games played but it's not fair young lads play in conditions ducks even take shelter in

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

A Hamilton High School Bandon V Ard Scoil Ris – Monday January 19th at 1:30pm in Mallow (subject to pitch inspection)
    B St. Francis College Rochestown V Nenagh CBS – Thursday January 15th at 1pm in Charleville (subject to 9:30am pitch inspection)
    C Castletroy CC V Pobalscoil Na Tríonóide – Wednesday January 21st at 1:30pm in Cahir (subject to pitch inspection)

A Hamilton High School Bandon V Ard Scoil Ris – Monday January 19th at 1:30pm in Mallow (subject to pitch inspection)
    B St. Francis College Rochestown V Nenagh CBS – Thursday January 15th at 1pm in Charleville (subject to 9:30am pitch inspection)
    C Castletroy CC V Pobalscoil Na Tríonóide – Wednesday January 21st at 1:30pm in Cahir (subject to pitch inspection)

Thanks Denis good news is weather has actually given cork fans chance go all four games and support each team

Charleville pitch inspection @ 930 this morning apparently. Hard to see that pitch being playable. There is a suggestion it might be moved to Mallow. Was going to be in the area yesterday and had planned to take in the game. Won't get to see it now because of rescheduling. Would appreciate if any of our Cork/Tipp posters who are at the game could pen a concise and incisive match report.

Charleville pitch inspection @ 930 this morning apparently. Hard to see that pitch being playable. There is a suggestion it might be moved to Mallow. Was going to be in the area yesterday and had planned to take in the game. Won't get to see it now because of rescheduling. Would appreciate if any of our Cork/Tipp posters who are at the game could pen a concise and incisive match report.

Word is its on! I'll repost if that changes. Seems strange that conditions could have gotten much better considering the weather.

Word is its on! I'll repost if that changes. Seems strange that conditions could have gotten much better considering the weather.

There was possibly snow on the ground yesterday i'd imagine as we had it in Thurles yesterday. It's a lovely morning here today though, dry and the sun is shining. If the pitch is not prone to water logging it should be fine.

Rochestown play nenagh tommorrow in charville and imo should win and while the weather will balance it to nenagh favour in it could be low scoring rochestown dogged grit of beating caoimhins and winning war attrition will stand to them and they are used to charville ptich and I think they have too much for a fine nenagh team but limited up front  but character and spirit or organisation won't be a problem.
    Ptich may pass the inspection in the morning but the wind hurricane style meant be there til afternoon, I don't see If that bad how they can play the game
    We all want it to go ahead but this is knock out, players trained hard enough and made enough sacrifice on both teams so imo must be given a fair chance and not asked play in hurricane style winds.
    Weather meant to break a bit the weekend.
    If worst comes to the worst try play all weather ptich in evening like ul astro turf if needs must.
    Yes it's longer drive for rochestown but it's a top ptich and good counsel and Athenry under sixteen fell victim weather was played last minute there, yes logistics were diffcult for good counsel but they won
    Rochestown this team would absolutely fly on astro ptich as they like play fast hurling.
    They can and won in the wet heavy ground but imo dry surface suit them

Rochestown are a credit to cork in their an awesome hurling school but football also and in day of dying breed of dualism they do try and and certainly among great dual school like good counsel in WExford

Bit like Ard scoil in they started their revolution only twelve years ago and absent for thirty years yet making step up last year got to the the semi final beating highly fancied Thurles along the way but being edged out by a dogged doon in charville.

Denis mcdonnell reinvented hurling to the school that really picks players from club from carrigline where captain David griffin is from, blackcock, Douglas,passage, tracton etc and in football nemo rangers they had few representives, Rome wasn't build in a day and they made steady progress and in 2003 got to the semi final cork under fourteen competition and lost the under sixteen final two years later
    In 2007 they won both the under fourteen and sixteen titles.
    This was all at c level

In 2008 they won the b final under fourteen and under fifteen reached the Munster b semi final.
    They won the b under fourteen and under sixteen cork grades.

They won the frewn cup I'n football last year I'n mallow beating Brendan kerry team to kerry dommince of the competition and the likes shane Kingston played and lost In the all ireland final to good counsel a very good team
    Got to the the Munster under fifteen final football last year
    Got to the Munster under age football final again this year loose to flannans In Ballygran in the autumn

Last year they had a good dean ryan cup pushing templemore to four points in a high scoring game
    This year they dropped down to the b under sixteen equivalent in hurling and won munster b beating Christ ri with harty cup current john sullivan playing

Last year in the harty they played six games in their debut year and beat likes midelton and Thurles and only lost two games to dungarvan and doon but lost close games
    This year they won the callaghan cup for the ist time beating a much vaunted Ag team 2-9 to 1-6

They had the likes of mark dolan, aron ward. Shane Kingston Daniel meaney dual minors before injury David griffin, Sean powter all on cork under age team's and will have at least David griffin and shane Kingston and possibly john Cashman if not more involved this year hurling team and will also have football representives.

There coached by Diarmuid fahy originally from oola I think and Aidan lonergan a tipp man but a brilliant coach who Attention to detail second to no school coach in the country but imo equal to the best

Last year expierence will stand to them, captain David griffin who played and won minors football county with carrigline and was under twenty one hurling at club this year and was quite accomplished at that level I'n he's that good, shane Kingston who tormented limerick minors last year, John Cashman and paddy lynch and Liam o Sullivan, cathal sheehan all involved and of course Daniel meaney who recovery from injury he got with training cork minors football team last year.

I don't see any major weakness in the team in the central areas.
    There not a marquee team by any means in fifteen star names, i don't think any school is bar possibly Ard scoil or kieran killkenny down the years and I'm not sure if they can with it outright in would they if they had to beat Ard scoil, I'm not sure but I'd give them a good chance, but there a team with in key position have a solid spine, good organisations, well coached and few outstanding hurlers.
    I certainly believe rochestown could beat Thurles or castletroy if they met,particularly castletroy

Adrian culliane is solid keeper and made great save v caoimhins and in the ist game to charville

Full back line is water tight with Donnacha murphy tough no nonsense hurling , the brilliant David griffin who held clare aron shanagher and Danny gunning in games and Nathan walsh who's solid. In four unbeaten harty cup games in the group they conceded just one goal and I'n the callaghan cup final just one goal and the full back and defence imo is up their with the best left in the harty cup if even they could be the best to be honest

Darragh peters captain a sublime hurler and has played with tippeeary and was member the nenagh team three years ago won all ireland so if he's played up front needs watching but they are likely to play him at half back
    If nenagh play him as a forward or back there robbing the rich to give to the poor as they will then either lack a half back or a forward either way rochestown benefit once they and I belive they will get the match up right

If peters starts griffin has to mark him.
    That simple
    If so means murphy will have to mark Haydon who is lethal and got two goal v nenagh and had midelton in trouble but lonergan is imo much much Better coach than dwayne is and wont be as naive to get the match up wrong
    I'f peters starts at half back griffin for Haydon and john Cashman has to mark their only imo other lethal other danger man john cahalan and he's imperious in the air but Cashman dealt with Tim o mahony, dayne lee, at times and never was out of he depth and he marked hayes with caoimhins excellent when he had to.
    I mentioned cahalan as one to mark before midelton game.
    Midelton did not put their best defenders on him and paid the price id be shocked if rochestown done the same. There too cute to make that error

Mulrooney is good forward at centre forward but I'd prefer Cashman even has move from centre back and go the wing for mark cahalan and sheehan is well able for Mulrooney
    If cahalan drifts in to full forward Cashman has to follow him and can't just hold the centre and allow one corner back pick him up, this guy is not just strong in the air he is imperious and needs be marked by Cashman imo or griffin but griffin will have he's own job to do in to mark Hayden

Half back line of kelleher and sheehan with Cashman is very good and ryan cantwell can come in if needs be as a sub

I saw them play limerick minors before Christmas and Andy loughanne gave an exhibition of midfield play for nenagh, two different limerick lads couldn't hold him even conor Byrne limerick minor last year found him tough as did the brilliant darragh caroll but john sullivan who has been brillant and just sixteen with more years at harty and certainly imo cork minor should be okay

The key imo for rochestown is to play Kingston at full forward as nenagh full back line while they have good hurling and fine as individuals hurling, as a unit is poor, saw them v limerick in challenge conceded three goals, six in four games in the harty, hammies took them for four in one game so the likes of Kingston,powter there is scoring there

Cormack cork minors panelist can score long distance and as he's cameo v templemore proved he can score also and himself and Kingston are their top scorers.

Cormack has v charville got nine points 7f one 65
    V csoimhins six points frees
    Thirteen v youghal. Most frees
    Our lady's 2-6   3f

2-34 scored in four games total forty outstanding and most those from free bar last game biggest play
    Nenagh have to keep free count down like any team when you have free taker facing you like outstanding Cormack

Shane kingston in three harty cup games has got three goals from play and around twelve approximately so from play he's the their top scorer
    Id move out lynch to half forward and put Kingston inside with power and Liam o Sullivan
    Kingston when he went in full forward v charville in Mallow in their ist game he was brillant and got goal and some brilliant scores
    The reason he went in was limerick minors full back paddy loughlin was actually at centre back and charville needed him there , as was dominant but when Kingston went in charville never had loughlin follow him
    If he did it meant rochestown has space outside
    Charville needed loughlin in full back line and half back line but he can only be one place at a time
    Nenagh are similar

Cormack should at least hold he's own with peters and limit him, once he doesn't dominate job done
    John Kennedy wasn't named to start on the Munster website today but I'd expect unless injured as he gave a brilliant display v limerick minors and he can score long distance and got around threw points from play in that game
    He needs be watched but if nenagh keep both peters and Kennedy at half back means two men of Kingston and power will cut loos inside in the full forward line.
    If they put one in full back line they loose out the field with only one of peters and Kennedy in the half back line as a unit
    Imo they are stuck between where to play their two best defenders

Rochestown drew with cit fresher's in a challenge a strong enough cit so there well primed
    The biggest fear I have is dualism sooner or later will affect the football or hurling but hurling coming first I think the football will suffer and rochestown should win even with weather making it a bit of a lottery that could make it close game I just feel rochestown who beat nenagh last year handy in the group game have too many leaders and better players

Nenagh are a well coached fine side to get where they were against the odds and deserve huge credit.
    Rochestown to win a low scoring game in bad conditions if it was dry day they would won it by more In I feel they have more scoring up front

The reason I'm confident is rochestown can adapt to a sweeper as they beat caoimhins Paul kinnerks sweeper system and can play orthodox also but more importantly I have total totally confidence in the rochestown management team who I rate highely
    Rochestown have met every challenge head on in the callaghan cup and the harty so far so imo every reason for my confidence and no doubts I have
    Yes they still got to turn up and perform and are young lads but there down to earth lads with a lot of leaders there and they will respect but shouldn't fear nenagh at all
    Nenagh be fair beat midelton but midelton under poor management played a few key lads out of out position just like Ag last week and even in school hurling in my experience it's never a good idea and more so when you change the central spine of your team at full back, half back, midfield. Centre and full forward like Ag did.

Best of luck to rochestown and they are a credit to cork school hurling.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/john-brennan-keeps-a-cool-head-as-harty-cup-games-take-a-hit-307063.html

Very good article
    Brennan deserves lot credit be fair he done very well this week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Seems to be tit-for-tat in the Ard Scoil/Hammies game so far; Ard Scoil have gone in front 4 times, Hammies have pegged them back the first 3 times.

0-4 to 0-3 atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ard Scoil leading 0-7 to 0-6.

Advertisement