Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does one Miss a toll??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

I always wonder how non-English speakers deal with it. As far as I remember they don't have the signs in Italian.

Well if you are on foreign plates I guess there's not much chance of getting a letter, or concern if you did.
    Don't know what the story is with hire cars.

I had the rare occasion to go through this toll last year and while I probably seen the signs at the time , I promptly forgot about it once at home in the sticks.
    I say "I probably seen the signs" as I was a little concerned at how my newly purchased car, on NI plates, was misbehaving . My only thoughts wre "please don't break down, please don't break down , at least till I get out of Dublin"
    Had visions of the zombie hordes of druggies getting me!
    AH keeps telling me Dublin is full of them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

sweetsugar wrote: »
    OP, same thing happened to me as well and like you, got a letter too. I never heard of eflow.

It was my 1st time driving in Dublin and l borrowed a sat nav from a friend. At that time there was alot of roadworks on theM50. It was confusing trying to find my way around as l was trying to pay attention on the road, looking out for the right road signs, listening/looking at the sat nav and especially on the M50, making sure l was on the right lane and the cars were driving fast. l took a wrong road twice but for sat nav, it helped me to get back on the right road. I remember seeing eflow signs and did'nt know what it meant and thought there was a toll booth coming up.
    Anyway, got the letter and l rang the company. I explained to them that l never heard of eflow and didn't realised what it meant and also it was my 1st time. So they only charged me for going up which was good of them
    I would have paid the full charge as l don't have a problem with them it was just l never knew or heard of them

For those that are saying 'well there are plenty signs about it'. Yeah its fine to say it if you are a regular driver driving to Dublin or from Dublin.
    But for people like me thats never to Dublin, never heard of eflow, trying to find our way on the M50 etc, it's not easy trying to read the signs while driving at 100km.
    It does happens to alot of people and to the foreigners that have poor english.

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell! i was recked tired aswell id started drivin at 2 am got there and had to drive back, tryin to concetrated on a million different things espeically trying to find your way around ur bound to miss something,

But of course most people on here are flawless experts, lol

First Up wrote: »
    Ah give us a break. The road for at least a kilometre before and for a bit after the toll is festooned with signs, to the side, overhead and on the road. If you are that blind you should really question your right to be on the road. It has nothing to do with Dublin or motorways. Either you are competent to drive or you are not and it sounds like you are not.

Well if you never heard of E-toll and you just assumed all tolls have a toll booth, its a eaasy mistake, dublins the only place ive seen with that craic,

Goin by your logic if you ve ever made a mistake on the road question yourself whether ur competent to drive or not instead of lecturing like your the perfect driver

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think we should have a toll for any poster that ends nearly every sentence with haha lol lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

evo2000 wrote: »
    Well if you never heard of E-toll and you just assumed all tolls have a toll booth, its a eaasy mistake, dublins the only place ive seen with that craic,

Goin by your logic if you ve ever made a mistake on the road question yourself whether ur competent to drive or not instead of lecturing like your the perfect driver

Missing a host of signs isn't "making a mistake". It's incompetence. Open your bloody eyes or stay off the roads until you learn how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Are you sure you picked up your friend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

first time on the m50 then ?;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell! i was recked tired aswell id started drivin at 2 am got there and had to drive back, tryin to concetrated on a million different things espeically trying to find your way around ur bound to miss something,

But of course most people on here are flawless experts, lol

Have you never heard of planning? I used travel a huge amount for work, and not only had a sat nav, but used aarouteplanner to print out a copy of my route for me, which included info on tolls.

You sound like one of those aimless gob****es who drive those of us who plan our trips out mad

As for the M50 being madness at 6am, I'm on it M-F at 7am for half an hour, and it's perfectly normal if you keep your wits about you, I'd far prefer it to some boreen in Clare where the locals speed at will cos they "know the roads"

And the limit on the M50 is 100 kilometres per hour, so someone doing 100mph would be fairly swiftly clocked.

Being from Clare you don't know about tolls, so you also don't know that the entire of the M50 is under 24/7 live surveillance which would pick up on that behaviour.
    First Up wrote: »
    Missing a host of signs isn't "making a mistake". It's incompetence. Open your bloody eyes or stay off the roads until you learn how.

Exactly, between the road markings, and the overhead signs and the signs on the side you'd have to be some twerp to miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭andy125

You have to laugh at the reaction to a country persons first time in Dublin who didn't notice a god damn toll sign

He shouldn't be on the roads, needs to learn how to drive, glad I'm not sharing the road with him....

They love to make their big dramatic troll like statements

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Calibos wrote: »
    I think we should have a toll for any poster that ends nearly every sentence with haha lol lmao

I second this proposal!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It never ceases to amaze me how people on the Internet make such a big deal of the tiniest things. The person didn't read the toll signs. Who gives a fcuk?! Hardly crime of the century.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

andy125 wrote: »
    You have to laugh at the reaction to a country persons first time in Dublin who didn't notice a god damn toll sign

He shouldn't be on the roads, needs to learn how to drive, glad I'm not sharing the road with him....

They love to make their big dramatic troll like statements

I used drive the length and breath of the country in my last job.

I never relied on signs and had no sat nav.

Instead I preplanned my route, printed it out and had a copy with me in the car so I could check in unfamiliar areas such as e.g. North Belfast which is a horror to get to.

It meant I felt more confident, didnt' feck up traffic etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

lmao missing that is bad! but in my defence i was concentrating on the cut throat driving in dublin that and the tiredness! haha

Cut throat driving at 2am?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

SteM wrote: »

Haha she should try it @ 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

El Guapo! wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how people on the Internet make such a big deal of the tiniest things. The person didn't read the toll signs. Who gives a fcuk?! Hardly crime of the century.
    He didn't even see the toll sign never mind read them ;) Observation is an important part of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I was on it at 1am last week, hardly any traffic, wonder what happens in that one hour to get awful busy.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Hitchens

have you a full licence?

Hitchens wrote: »
    have you a full licence?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Yes
    late 70's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

What was the OP meant to do, pull out a biro and paper and write down the website and phone number.

I'd be clueless too on the M50. I got lost using a sat nav driving from Cork to Galway. Took the back roads of Co. Clare. Took about 5 hours.

I can only do journeys I'm used to.

• Advertisement

Hitchens wrote: »
    late 70's?

I wasn't even an itch in my daddy's trousers then!

No I've had my full licence for the past ten years, driven hundreds and hundreds of different cars from micra to maserati to Bentley and Ferrari and most others. I've been involved in the motor trade for just as long, and driving is a pretty huge part of my life. I'd consider myself an experienced driver.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

JillyQ wrote: »
    Haha she should try it @ 8am

he

LynnGrace wrote: »
    he

True lol

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

What is slightly worrying is considering how wrecked the OP claims he was, its the time he did this in.

I drive drive from Clare to the North return once a month so do this same journey. I am by no means a slow driver and do Ennis to Newlands in 1hr 45min but doing that in 4 hours with the start of rush hour traffic is too quick when that tired.

OP, guessing your 19, 20 max. Tiredness is horrible when driving, just pay more attention really. This is not a lecture or anything. Its not necessarily for your safety but for the safety of others around you. I was exactly like you at 19.

Guessing your a country lad and not used to main roads. Motorway driving is quite easy with some patience and not too much aggression. It requires a lot more observation aswell!! If you found it that odd maybe go away with mates to Dublin or wherever you will get long stretches of motorway to get used to it.

Open motorway can be fun when nobody else is around ;)

What was the OP meant to do, pull out a biro and paper and write down the website and phone number.

I'd be clueless too on the M50. I got lost using a sat nav driving from Cork to Galway. Took the back roads of Co. Clare. Took about 5 hours.

I can only do journeys I'm used to.

How can you get lost on a virtually straight road?

the drive home at around 6ish,.....

People goin mental over it lol "you shouldnt be on the roads"! anyone would swear i was after killing someone on the m50!lol blowin stuff out of proportion altogether.. but from what i can see some people on here live for such an opportunity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

JillyQ wrote: »
    How can you get lost on a virtually straight road?

Good question, but I can and I did. And I don't know how. It was fine from Cork to Limerick, then I got lost.

Took a wrong turn or I think it was the settings in the sat nav was set to avoid the main roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

Whatever about not seeing the signs, people who are not used to it could easily forget to pay it afterwards. Ring Eflow if you haven't already, because those tolls incur penalties.

I set up the free account with them (it's the tag account that you have to pay for but that's for all tolls; the free account is just for the M50) - safest thing to do when it could so easily be forgotten. And various family members have put their car on my account and can just drive through and forget about it because you can't be charged penalties. It's a cheaper toll too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

People goin mental over it lol "you shouldnt be on the roads"! anyone would swear i was after killing someone on the m50!lol blowin stuff out of proportion altogether.. but from what i can see some people on here live for such an opportunity!
    What did you expect when starting this thread? Do you take much notice of other road signs?

Advertisement