Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does one Miss a toll??

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

those of us who live in Dublin and are used to the m50 would find it obvious, but for people who are driving along at 120k/hr and maybe chatting or not reading road signs, its not that obvious.

can easily see how people miss it.

Thats pretty much what happened, that and the fact i associate a toll with the tradition toll booth twas the first i heard of this craic of pay later..first time drivin to dublin aswell, lesson learned anyway! haha

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I thought the fact that there was a barrier free toll on the M50 was quite well known, and I have only passed through it 3 times in about 4 years of driving

Although driving from the Airport my self last week, southbound, I didn't see half as many signs as I did driving northbound from the N4 junction.

Finally, if you are driving at 120 on the M50, and not reading the signs, its not road I want to be sharing with you, weather you are from Dublin or not.

Have you ever made a mistake on the road? or are you a flawless driver ? because if you ve even made one mistake, your a hypocrite!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Finally, if you are driving at 120 on the M50, and not reading the signs, its not road I want to be sharing with you, weather you are from Dublin or not.

why? reading signs could be a distraction,especially ones that dont contain safety information.

the m50 is a motorway and 120 is not exactly an OTT speed for there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

the m50 is a motorway and 120 is not exactly an OTT speed for there.

120 miles an hour is good clipping still and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

evo2000 wrote: »
    Have you ever made a mistake on the road? or are you a flawless driver ? because if you ve even made one mistake, your a hypocrite!

What part of my comment is that directed at?

If its the 1st part, I stand by my comment, I thought it was well advertised.

If the 2nd part, I have even admitted, it did appear as well sign posted southbound, compared to northbound.

If the 3rd part, have you even driven on the M50, as any time I have during the day, its been bumper to bumper, full of lane jumping, and not even possible to go over the 100kph limit.

Yes I have made mistakes on the road, including nearly missing my turn on the M50. But on the M50 you need all wits about you, missing one or two signs is okay, but missing the road side signs, over head gantrys, road markings, and going 20kph over the limit, is not making a mistake, thats ignorance, and a danger to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Not sure what is scarier in this thread - someone who can be oblivious to their surroundings while driving at 100+ kph, or people who fail to notice that the question they ask about the M50 has already been asked about ten times earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭Hitchens

i drove to dublin recently from clare I got a letter in the door today from eflow saying i "missed" paying the toll, both up and back, im just courious how does one "miss" a toll and how the **** did i get up an back without payin it ???

I always feel a slight tingle in the back of my neck when I drive through it...................another tingle on my credit card later on :)

What part of my comment is that directed at?

If its the 1st part, I stand by my comment, I thought it was well advertised.

If the 2nd part, I have even admitted, it did appear as well sign posted southbound, compared to northbound.

If the 3rd part, have you even driven on the M50, as any time I have during the day, its been bumper to bumper, full of lane jumping, and not even possible to go over the 100kph limit.

Yes I have made mistakes on the road, including nearly missing my turn on the M50. But on the M50 you need all wits about you, missing one or two signs is okay, but missing the road side signs, over head gantrys, road markings, and going 20kph over the limit, is not making a mistake, thats ignorance, and a danger to others.

Well then, people in glass houses cant throw stones as they say! your ranting on about how you wouldnt share the road with someone because they missed a sign and making all these sweeping statements on whether or not it was a mistake or ignorants, you werent there so how do you know what it was?

Stop being so OTT and come down off your high horse,

Hitchens wrote: »
    I always feel a slight tingle in the back of my neck when I drive through it...................another tingle on my credit card later on :)

The toll senses were tingling! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Lol haha!

Lmao

• Advertisement

Well then, people in glass houses cant throw stones as they say! your ranting on about how you wouldnt share the road with someone because they missed a sign and making all these sweeping statements on whether or not it was a mistake or ignorants, you werent there so how do you know what it was?

I'm not being over the top, and this is not directed at you. But do you not agree that there are drivers on the road, who think they are the only ones on it.

Yes I have admited to making mistakes on the road, I dont claim to be the best driver, far from it, but there are some atrocious drivers out there, some who dont even know how to drive on a motorway, and think because they are driving at 115 that it allows them to sit in the overtaking lane of the M4 because they think its the fast lane, or sit in the middle lane of the M50 because they are not turning off for another several junctions.

Unforunatly If I want to get to what ever part of Dublin in a reasonable time, I have no choice but to share the road. As its well said, its not your own driving you have to watch for, but everyone elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Missing one sign is one thing, but you missed a whole series of roadside signs, road markings, LED sign and overhead gantry signage, twice!
    ^That's not picking on you, it's alerting you that you perhaps should be more attentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

evo, how much do you have to cough up??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

This thread is starting to take its toll on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

So it was the M50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Lol haha!

Lmao
    You see what you've done OP? Normally competent and capable motorists are now gibbering shivering shells of their former selves. Petrified of taking to the motorway for the weekend commute.

LMAO indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Knasher wrote: »
    There is a camera at a point on the road the records your license plate. You have to then log on to a webpage after the fact and pay the toll. The idea is to not cause traffic buildups by requiring everyone to stop and pay at a booth. There would have been signposts on the road telling you about this.

That's a load of crap.. They told us for years that the toll boots didn't cause any tailbacks and barrier free tolls wouldn't make any difference. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I thought the fact that there was a barrier free toll on the M50 was quite well known, and I have only passed through it 3 times in about 4 years of driving

Although driving from the Airport my self last week, southbound, I didn't see half as many signs as I did driving northbound from the N4 junction.

Speed limit on the m 50 is 100km/h

Speed limit on the m 50 is 100km/h

Hence my comment re driving at 120, meaning your driving 20kph over and not reading the signs, and my other post saying the limit is 100 in bold letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

yeah

that's your answer barrier free tolling

• Advertisement

JillyQ wrote: »
    that's your answer barrier free tolling

There's barrier free tolling on the M50?

catallus wrote: »
    There's barrier free tolling on the M50?
    there are no barriers.................but there is tolling ;)

Ah so the barriers are only there in an abstract sense?

That clears things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

i drove to dublin recently from clare I got a letter in the door today from eflow saying i "missed" paying the toll, both up and back, im just courious how does one "miss" a toll and how the **** did i get up an back without payin it ???

If you are a beauty queen from Limerick and was driving your mams merc, (at 120kmh on the m50) I am sure you should be ok not to pay the fine ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

OP, same thing happened to me as well and like you, got a letter too. I never heard of eflow.

It was my 1st time driving in Dublin and l borrowed a sat nav from a friend. At that time there was alot of roadworks on theM50. It was confusing trying to find my way around as l was trying to pay attention on the road, looking out for the right road signs, listening/looking at the sat nav and especially on the M50, making sure l was on the right lane and the cars were driving fast. l took a wrong road twice but for sat nav, it helped me to get back on the right road. I remember seeing eflow signs and did'nt know what it meant and thought there was a toll booth coming up.
    Anyway, got the letter and l rang the company. I explained to them that l never heard of eflow and didn't realised what it meant and also it was my 1st time. So they only charged me for going up which was good of them
    I would have paid the full charge as l don't have a problem with them it was just l never knew or heard of them

For those that are saying 'well there are plenty signs about it'. Yeah its fine to say it if you are a regular driver driving to Dublin or from Dublin.
    But for people like me thats never to Dublin, never heard of eflow, trying to find our way on the M50 etc, it's not easy trying to read the signs while driving at 100km.
    It does happens to alot of people and to the foreigners that have poor english.

sweetsugar wrote: »
    OP, same thing happened to me as well and like you, got a letter too. I never heard of eflow.

It was my 1st time driving in Dublin and l borrowed a sat nav from a friend. At that time there was alot of roadworks on theM50. It was confusing trying to find my way around as l was trying to pay attention on the road, looking out for the right road signs, listening/looking at the sat nav and especially on the M50, making sure l was on the right lane and the cars were driving fast. l took a wrong road twice but for sat nav, it helped me to get back on the right road. I remember seeing eflow signs and did'nt know what it meant and thought there was a toll booth coming up.
    Anyway, got the letter and l rang the company. I explained to them that l never heard of eflow and didn't realised what it meant and also it was my 1st time. So they only charged me for going up which was good of them
    I would have paid the full charge as l don't have a problem with them it was just l never knew or heard of them

For those that are saying 'well there are plenty signs about it'. Yeah its fine to say it if you are a regular driver driving to Dublin or from Dublin.
    But for people like me thats never to Dublin, never heard of eflow, trying to find our way on the M50 etc, it's not easy trying to read the signs while driving at 100km.
    the M50 can be like the 'Hotel California' for some folk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Citizen2011

m4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

threeball wrote: »
    In fairness, he's right. Shouldn't be on the road if you can't take in basic signs. I'd be less concerned about the lad doin 100mph in his Merc on the motorway as he more than likely has a fair degree of competency and aptitude.

Forgetting to pay is one thing, missing it completely is another thing entirely.

Sorry - I have to disagree with you a little bit.

The only reason I know to pay the M50 toll is because am conscious am on the M50 (and just generally know to pay it).

The signs for it are really bad and badly placed for people who arent aware.

It is a good example of catching someones attention (who very much so is seemingly concentrating on the road) in a few seconds for a few seconds, gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

sweetsugar wrote: »

Ah give us a break. The road for at least a kilometre before and for a bit after the toll is festooned with signs, to the side, overhead and on the road. If you are that blind you should really question your right to be on the road. It has nothing to do with Dublin or motorways. Either you are competent to drive or you are not and it sounds like you are not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I agree OP!!

I prefer the days when there was a Troll Toll

Advertisement