Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI CHARTS AUTUMN/WINTER 2014/15 **Mod Note Post #1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Rikand wrote: »
    so maybe the Indo and that exactaweather guy were right ?

A stopped clock is correct twice a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Villain wrote: »
    A stopped clock is correct twice a day!

Er....

331898.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Snow in Cork on Christmas Eve??! It would definitely be a Christmas miracle... :D

gfs-2-204_smn7.png

Well done.. you probably just gave leahyl a mini heart attack ..

:rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Sparks wrote: »
    Er....

331898.jpg

1:27pm and 47 seconds ? (Or am)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nope....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I've learned to control my emotions when it comes to snow Iancar.....somewhat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sparks wrote: »
    Er....

331898.jpg

I said stopped not fecked :p

Out by one day!!!
    gfs-0-240_bve6.png

I'd still take it though , YES PLEASE! :pac:
    gfs-0-252_tqa8.png

gfs-1-252_ibr3.png

EDIT! : HANG ON A SECOND HERE!

331919.png
    1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

gfs-1-288_rhg5.png

1233400426_guy%20falls%20of%20chair.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Christmas eve and Christmas day!!!!!!!! Fi but holy moly that came out of no were. (GEM)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Cork981

The suspense of following this thread really does nearly kill me sometimes.

I can see that people are getting really excited about something but I have no idea what or why and I'll likely have to wait till the morning before someone tells me why 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Cork981 wrote: »

I can see that people are getting really excited about something but I have no idea what or why and I'll likely have to wait till the morning before someone tells me why 😞

No expert but .... What they're getting excited about is HIGHLY unlikely to happen .
    Cold building (ish) for 29th dec - 5/6 jan though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Cork981 wrote: »

The 850 hpa chart shows the temperature of the atmosphere at the height above the ground where the atmospheric pressure is 850 hpa (millibars). This is roughly 1500 metres. This height can can vary though. The temperature at this height is subject to much less variation through the day (diurnal variation) than at ground level. An 850 hpa temperature of around minus 8 (in degrees Celsius) can often be interpreted that any precipitation present may fall as snow at the surface. Of course such precipitation may not always be present (if theres a high pressure system around for example), even though the 850 hpa temperature may be favourable.

Keeping it short

ECM 00z- YES

GFS (P) 00z- YES

GFS(P) 06z - Not as good but still ok.

See yous all for the next loop in the rollercoaster at half 3 bells :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

JusT posted the following in the snow lovers thread by way of a guide as we are not there yet and some especially in that thread may not be aware of snow basics

-6 uppers are not cold enough for low ground snow in precipitation in off the Atlantic except well inland or in the Lee of hills
    You'd only have a wintry mix with those uppers, with most populous places getting cold sleety rain showers
    Those uppers even from the East/NE would be watery

For snow at all levels at uppers of say -2 to -6c you need either a blast of surface cold air(sea level to 1000ft) feeding in and negative dew points or you need an already local cold pool in situ from a previous cold spell typically with snow cover already well established

We got those things at times in 2010,they are not there in the Xmas day charts shown above though might develop gradually over the following week if a sinking piece of polar vortex drags down -9 ,-10 or colder uppers preferably from Scandinavia without the Atlantic mixing
    A sustained northern flow will always veer between northwest and Northeast, so over time the flow would contain all the ingredients we got in 2010 meaning a lot of sea effect snow showers in Ulster north connaught,west Munster, Leinster and east Munster depending on the variation of northern on the day,north,northwest or northeast

So in a nutshell don't be expecting much at first, lets see what develops
    Caveat too,this is all in FI yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Keeping it short

ECM 00z- YES

GFS (P) 00z- YES

GFS(P) 06z - Not as good but still ok.

See yous all for the next loop in the rollercoaster at half 3 bells :)

Any new charts out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

Charts still rolling out and at 96 - about to start getting to the interesting part

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Would anyone be able to let me know where charts can be found - he weather freak in me is egar to learn!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

aisling86 wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to let me know where charts can be found - he weather freak in me is egar to learn!!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php

Rolls out every 6 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

aisling86 wrote: »

The Useful weather links thread at the top of the forum is another good place to go :: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056531638

• Advertisement

still looking good on the 12h run just waiting on a few more

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/9490/gfs-0-162_hph4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

still looking good on the 12h run just waiting on a few more

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/9490/gfs-0-162_hph4.png

No enough for South though?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Greenland high settled at +120 hours and sticking. Woo

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

Charts looking super to my amateur eye woo hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

That's all changed, +192 is not great at all. Now cold is pushed back to the 27th/28th.

GFS (P) on par with the ECM 00z ! :pac:

Heights steam rolling on up into Greenland ! :cool:
    gfsnh-0-228_gso1.png

Jet Stream induces the nice northerly!
    gfsnh-5-228_tiy2.png

And on comes the cold air
    gfsnh-1-228_tbt4.png

giphy.gif

That's all changed, +192 is not great at all. Now cold is pushed back to the 27th/28th.

Even though we are under cool 850s at Christmas , there wasn't much potential for anything more than what we had last week due to the slack flow , only the N and NW with some hope for a White Christmas IMO

leahyl wrote: »
    No enough for South though?

this would please u! :)
    http://images.meteociel.fr/im/7805/gfs-0-264_wat1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

I'm not very good at reading / following / keeping up to-date with these charts - my main interest is whether there are any significant winter storms, similar to last year's in the pipeline, over the Christmas / New Year period? Hopefully not!

Would appreciate if someone who is knowledgeable in these matters would respond. Many thanks.

• Advertisement

look at the GEM, my god that is windy and old and snowy.

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/8686/gem-0-180_qhw1.png

Advertisement