Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI CHARTS AUTUMN/WINTER 2014/15 **Mod Note Post #1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

This is mild isn't it?

12_189_mslp500.png?cb=919

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

'Tis a mighty fine zonal airflow! I presume this cold spell is as good as dead now.

ECM1-240.GIF?16-0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Just pick the right model... You'll find what you need

gem-0-132.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Nabber wrote: »
    Just pick the right model... You'll find what you need

gem-0-132.png

The ould gem loves the cold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

In the last 24 hours the cold spell has evaporated!!

Back to zonal mush after a wintry mix this weekend

• Advertisement

the gem is a beauty with that low
    gem-0-108.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Despite the minor variations between model outputs tonight, I think one thing is looking certain, and that is a very boring spell of weather coming up yet again. Chilly, but without any real substance; minor breezes; the odd light shower etc which has been the overriding theme of this season to date.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Not often u see much white on these charts, -40 over Greenland, now that would get things going around here :D

gfs-1-186_qtm9.png

Steopo wrote: »
    Not often u see much white on these charts, -40 over Greenland, now that would get things going around here :D

gfs-1-186_qtm9.png

Iv never seen it before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Iv never seen it before :)

I'd suspect they changed the colours with the introduction of the GPS(P)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

I'd suspect they changed the colours with the introduction of the GPS(P)

Noticed this last week too. Better this way, as you can now see the outlines of the landmasses where the very cold uppers are shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Steopo wrote: »

gfs-1-186_qtm9.png

Some fine uppers there, but the ones over Ireland look positively vile. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Some fine uppers there, but the ones over Ireland look positively vile. :mad:

Maybe some mild muck next week isn't a bad thing, tbh I want to see the end to this cold spell we are getting nowhere with it. November-January this winter has been another massive letdown.

At this stage I want to see the continent cooling down very fast and an easterly to form over next 2 weeks so that we can have some proper snowy winter weather, even 1 day of snow would do at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

Gonzo wrote: »
    Maybe some mild muck next week isn't a bad thing, tbh I want to see the end to this cold spell we are getting nowhere with it. November-January this winter has been another massive letdown.

At this stage I want to see the continent cooling down very fast and an easterly to form over next 2 weeks so that we can have some proper snowy winter weather, even 1 day of snow would do at this stage.

I notice that on this mornings ECM, -7 uppers seem to be over us for about 24 hours from Monday, is there any chance of any snow around this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I notice that on this mornings ECM, -7 uppers seem to be over us for about 24 hours from Monday, is there any chance of any snow around this time?

Very marginal with Monday night/Tuesday's front-inland higher ground best

Better not talk about that here though as this is the FI thread,meaning wenesday onwards,or Maq will be after you ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo wrote: »

well, it's likely you're going to be disappointed then, unless the front on Monday night delivers. It could well be that it gets milder later next week for a few days, then rinse and repeat of the current mixed wintry pattern. perhaps spending a few days in Donegal or Sligo might be the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note
    Better not talk about that here though as this is the FI thread,meaning wenesday onwards,or Maq will be after you ;):D

Not to mention the posse of mods who will hunt you down!! :P

Seriously guys, this thread is for posting/discussing FI charts only - see the Mod Note in the First Post

For everything else use the current Cold Snap thread
    Or the general Winter Chat Thread

gfs-0-114.png?6?6

ECM not as nice. But not too far off. Most agreeing on the Low pressure dropping into Normandy

ECM1-120.GIF?17-12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

If only Europe were colder:(

First time in a while that upto 120+ the Russian high is holding out over Scandi.

gens-0-1-108.png

Most models agreeing that it will be back to the same for the last 2 weeks.

gem-0-192.png?12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Signs of something happening with Feb, for cold lovers. The straws are coming fewer and thin at this stage. :)

The downward propagation of negative AO conditions in the stratosphere should begin to influence the tropospheric circulation in about a week. Therefore, we anticipate positive AO conditions to trend more negative the second half of January. This will promote more high latitude blocking and colder temperatures hemispherically for the remainder of the month. The biggest change should be felt across northern Eurasia including Europe, where temperatures should turn significantly colder from what has been observed so far this month.

Prospects for a negative AO remain fairly high into February given the recent and ongoing weakening of the stratospheric polar vortex, though some uncertainty on timing and the eventual strength of the negative AO state still remains.

http://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

For what it's worth, what is typically assumed to be FI currently? I checked the first post but didn't see what counted as Fantasy Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

For what it's worth, what is typically assumed to be FI currently? I checked the first post but didn't see what counted as Fantasy Island.
    That's a loaded question at the moment. We're not even certain if there will snow or rain on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Meanwhile in deep FI.....

gfs-1-336_vga4.png
    puss-in-boots-please-face-o.gif

Monday looking good for cold

gfs-1-30.png?18?18

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

At the moment I think it's Tuesday , a lot depends on the position of the low , I think there's is still more ups and downs to come in the model output and next week could turn out quite interesting for some.

Late night cherry picking. There has been a lack of charts :D

gens-18-1-180.png
    gens-13-1-0.png

Beautiful structure to this.

gfs-0-186.png?6?6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

At the moment I think it's Tuesday , a lot depends on the position of the low , I think there's is still more ups and downs to come in the model output and next week could turn out quite interesting for some.
    Should have made myself clearer, the question was prompted by one of the mods making reminding everyone that this was the FI thread. I wanted to know what was or wasn't acceptable to the mods specifically though going by that post basically common sense and current synoptics shall be the guide :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Atm i'd go with Wednesday being FI currently
    335510.png

Advertisement