Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI CHARTS AUTUMN/WINTER 2014/15 **Mod Note Post #1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I know it's deep FI and just for fun, but wow.... I'm really surprised people aren't commenting on the 18Z GFS and especially the 18Z GFS parallel....especially the very end of the 18Z GFS parallel.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I know it's deep FI and just for fun, but wow.... I'm really surprised people aren't commenting on the 18Z GFS and especially the 18Z GFS parallel....especially the very end of the 18Z GFS parallel.... :pac:

What's ur thoughts maq on this winter or is it hard to tell?
    You always have a good insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

It's the Pub Run and I'm suspicious of the sudden switchback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Because it will probably look completely different tmrw :) but cold at the end of Nov early Dec certainly looks back on the table. For now.

pad199207 wrote: »
    It's the Pub Run and I'm suspicious of the sudden switchback

Well it's FI so things always change once you're out past 200+ hours. The more blocked theme appeared on the 12Z runs too, it's just this time on these runs it falls into place in such a way that delivers cold air to our little island.

0Z runs will be different again of course. :pac: It's all just eye candy.
    Because it will probably look completely different tmrw :) but cold at the end of Nov early Dec certainly looks back on the table. For now.

Because it's the first real FI eye candy we've seen this year outside of the CFS. And this is the FI thread. :P
    davidsr20 wrote: »
    What's ur thoughts maq on this winter or is it hard to tell?
    You always have a good insight.

It's too early to tell. There are some indications that there will be a greater chance of cold spells this winter. Only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Well it's FI so things always change once you're out past 200+ hours. The more blocked theme appeared on the 12Z runs too, it's just this time on these runs it falls into place in such a way that delivers cold air to our little island.

0Z runs will be different again of course. :pac: It's all just eye candy.

Because it's the first real FI eye candy we've seen this year outside of the CFS. And this is the FI thread. :P

Wer do u get your charts from so I can have a look :)

Wer do u get your charts from so I can have a look :)

V368j4y.png
    MDxjUGD.png

Interesting ECM ensembles for De Bilt. Definitely a cooling trend there. All FI of course...

0aqQTlh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

An easterly Airflow not quite reaching us but may change or come further west as the days progress.

14112906_1618.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A strong signal for high pressure in our vicinity right out to the end of the run on tonights ECMWF, probably setting up for a boring spell of weather though it should at least be relatively mild and dry. Potential is still there for the end of the month into December for colder weather as long as there's high pressure nearby but Eastern Europe just isn't cold enough to deliver anything interesting from an easterly at the moment

EDH1-240_njq8.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

It's a start! Fi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

It's a start! Fi :)

il_fullxfull.195208100.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Didn't think anyone here got out of bed for less than -8 850's?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Didn't think anyone here got out of bed for less than -8 850's?

Depends on the situation really. Some of the biggest snowfalls in Ireland have happened under 850 temps just barely below 0. Because most large snow events deal with Atlantic lows battling with colder air the 850 temps usually aren't exceptionally low.

For example, this low delivered a lot of snow to the south of the country, 26cm at Cork Airport, the record snowfall for that station.

archives-1978-2-19-0-0.png

850 temps were between 0 and -2 at the time.

archives-1978-2-19-0-1.png

But if you are looking for Irish Sea snow showers in late Nov/early Dec, about -7 is where rain/sleet turns to snow.

Of course the dew point always needs to be 0 or below, whatever the setup is.

Snow FI charts look like going into hibernation for a while.

Right now, FI stands for Flooded Island.

3flAou0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Snow FI charts look like going into hibernation for a while.

Right now, FI stands for Flooded Island.

3flAou0.png

Would certainly start winter offically with a HOWL! :p
    328869.png

Temp are ment to drop to around 5/6 c with these northwestrly winds. Night down to freezing. I know, not snow material but highlands may see the first few flurries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

All very static and uninteresting on the models again this morning, the Euro High not going anywhere and the strong PV over Canada staying in place so weak low pressure systems from the Atlantic look like order of the day, maybe a stronger storm later but not a lot to get excited about at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

gfs-2-264.png?6?6

I really don't get the whole fantasy island thing. Why bother look at them if it never happens?

• Advertisement

I really don't get the whole fantasy island thing. Why bother look at them if it never happens?

Just a bit of fun for times when the current weather isn't very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Why fantasise about anything, ever?
    They can come to fruition, just very rarely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That block to our east really isn't going anywhere on the latest EC and it could become a real stubborn and annoying feature for cold weather searchers..

It just sits there causing trough disruption all run and with that PV setting up shop west of Greenland, the chart is not pretty

Recm2161.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

If that pattern backs west a few hundred miles we would be looking at very different weather conditions... Models still interesting to me at the moment when you consider stratosphere developments- im thinking a dry period will appear for the end of this month followed by a cold pattern setting in around the 5th-10th of December and lasting a while. Just my opinion based on background winter signals as well as wave activity etc in the stratosphere.

Dan

The strongest stratospheric warming on the GFS so far. And only 372 hours away. :p

KBfaXJ7.png

This could be interesting for begining of december (Possible Hurricane winds and very heavy rain). Will be interesting how it unfolds.
    14120518_2018.gif

14120518_2018.gif

gugsy wrote: »
    This could be interesting for begining of december (Possible Hurricane winds and very heavy rain). Will be interesting how it unfolds.
    14120518_2018.gif

14120518_2018.gif

Except it's snow were all looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Who let Moses go at the polar vortex on the GEM run aye?!

Don+t+mind+me+just+parting+the+red+sea+_70edbc9550b4ab70ae62e48fb830c9aa.jpg

329237.png

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Some lovely charts tonight for December let's hope the continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Horrible charts now for Coldies. Atlantic looks set to power up and dominate into December.

Advertisement