Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Saw Chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

kay 9 wrote: »
    Well wear, that's as near to new as I've seen.

A closer look shows lots of chips on the engine case, the top cover is from a different saw, the oil filler cap is broken, the thread's stripped on the front cover bolt hole and the chain brake handle base has a crack. The heated handle switch is cracked, chain guides and top and bottom chain catchers are damaged and the stink of burnt two stroke gave instance headache.

Elbow grease and a drop of gun oil on a rag to wipe the plastics will work wonders. A helicoil and a few bits and bobs from ebay will see the little things right. OE bhainbrake handle already ordered from the local dealer and the other things can be done here and there. Cylinder is the original one and cold it's showing 155psi so I'm happy out with the machine. It oils where it should and doesn't leak where it shouldn't.

There's a 162SE for less than 100 quid for sale now. Needs a full chainbrake. Maybe I should turn this yoke off and watch some telly before I get picture no sound for the next fortnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Im buying a saw and cant make up my mind to get a stihl 362 or 441. If i get the 362 will I ever be saying why didn't I get the 441 as I would have more power or will it be after getting the 441 I will be saying why didn't I get the 362 as a lighter less powerful saw would have done.
    I plan on putting a 18-20 inch bar on either saw. Realistically I will probably be knocking trees bigger than that but I will be able to use cutting techniques to achieve it. I wont be buying into the ax-men image of a big bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Flood wrote: »
    Im buying a saw and cant make up my mind to get a stihl 362 or 441. If i get the 362 will I ever be saying why didn't I get the 441 as I would have more power or will it be after getting the 441 I will be saying why didn't I get the 362 as a lighter less powerful saw would have done.
    I plan on putting a 18-20 inch bar on either saw. Realistically I will probably be knocking trees bigger than that but I will be able to use cutting techniques to achieve it. I wont be buying into the ax-men image of a big bar.

Iv been running a 362 for over half a year now and so far it's been great, I'm running an 18' on it. Realisticly I'd say a 20 would be max without losing power if you want to go 20'+I' id go 441. I'm only saying that is iv never ran anything bigger than 20' on the 362 yet.

What size trees would you be cutting really?

jonon9 wrote: »

What size trees would you be cutting really?

Most of them are up to 20 inches, and sure a 20 inch bar will only give me an 18 inch cut after. A few of them are over 2 feet but ill keep the bar at 20. Do you use a smaller saw also or is it your main one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Flood wrote: »
    Most of them are up to 20 inches, and sure a 20 inch bar will only give me an 18 inch cut after. A few of them are over 2 feet but ill keep the bar at 20. Do you use a smaller saw also or is it your main one?

Yes iv a smaller saw for lighter stuff. If you can get the 441 for good money having the extra power will be handy you you ever decided to do any milling.

• Advertisement

I spent 8 hours today cutting in a stand of silver birch with the 543 and 560 husky saws. The 543XP has really come to life and I will keep it and recommend it as a great replacement for the venerable 242XP.

The 560XP/G is something else altogether. I have a 16" Carlton Premium Mini sprocket nose bar and Oregon BPX on it and that saw is a marvel for the job. The Internet is full of secondhand waffle and hearsay with all kinds of nonsense but I can tell you first hand it's a saw you shouldn't overlook.

I ran it hard from day one on Aspen Full Range. Like the manual and dealer said to do, I buried it straight into an 18" birch trunk I left in the yard last spring and kept doing that for a few minutes. It started to stall a couple of times at the start and after about 3 minutes I couldn't make it do that again. Then off to the woods for the day and it never missed a beat.

Forget brands and everything else. Try one, or a 550. Superb machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sthilmick

blue5000 wrote: »
    A tip for a new file is to rub it in a lump of brass before you sharpen anything with it. This helps the teeth to last longer, also a flat file can be cleaned with a piece of hardwood, beech is good.

I have a bit of teakwood it good for round and flat files

sthilmick wrote: »
    I have a bit of teakwood it good for round and flat files

Must try the brass tip too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I use a Norwegian/scandinavian sawhorse I constructed not long ago for high out put on smaller limbs and rounds smaller than 14" or so:

http://m8.i.pbase.com/g9/22/22/2/158973628.d7edNOfV.jpg

http://m3.i.pbase.com/g9/22/22/2/158973933.X7BNqonk.jpg

And this is what the shed is starting to look like as I also add split wood to the mess(various hardwoods near left, then neatly stacked ash and beech, ash and beech rounds, and then split oak:

http://m0.i.pbase.com/g9/22/22/2/160042790.agUMnYqY.jpg

And I have a pile like this still to process:

http://m9.i.pbase.com/g9/22/22/2/158340399.GSihbSgE.jpg

• Advertisement

Hi you should check out my sawhorse on youtube type in
    yella log holder
    its a homemade job works a treat

dose wrangler star on youtube have his bar in upside down ?
    your supposed to turn your bar reguarly and dress it too (file the burr on the bar caused by the friction of the chain on the bar )

• Registered Users Posts: 13 martink281

Hi all.
    My 044 packed up, so I took it apart to find the problem. The small bearing on the top of the crankshaft broke and sent shards of metal up along the piston. In short i need a new piston new crankshaft and all the other bits and pieces to put it back together. My local stihl dealer wanted the best part of the price of a new saw for the parts alone so stihl parts are not an option. Any ideas for quality aftermarket parts. Do you know of a small engine repair shop that will swap out the crankshaft for a reasonable price? One repair shop wanted €110 just to do that much.
    Any ideas or advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

You may be better off risking a parts saw to scavenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Anyone have a scrap Partner F55 (also badged as Farmer ) saw they want a few quid for.
    Looking for the clutch cover for one of these...

Thanks in Advance

gyppo wrote: »
    Anyone have a scrap Partner F55 (also badged as Farmer ) saw they want a few quid for.
    Looking for the clutch cover for one of these...

Thanks in Advance

Send this guy a message and see if he will send it to Ireland via USPS for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Partner-f55-f65-clutch-cover-/221621357242

Most will if you ask nicely.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

I have a stihl MS291 bought from new, well minded. Today while cutting I noticed the chain wanted to move even when the brake was on. I released the brake and the chain started to turn on it's own without me pressing the trottle.

I knocked it off and tried to start it up again to show the father the problem and it won't start and the pull cord is really hard pulled.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Running too lean? Now semi seized?
    Can you take out the plug and try and get a look into the cylinder for scratches/scores?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Running too lean? Now semi seized?
    Can you take out the plug and try and get a look into the cylinder for scratches/scores?

Yeah I'm not sure if it's running too lean, but I'd say you're spot on about it being semi seized! Trying to look into the cylinder is beyond my know how I'm afraid! Did I make a balls of it trying to start it?

Jimlh86 wrote: »
    Did I make a balls of it trying to start it?

No, whatever was done, was done.
    Best bring it to a repair place and see what they diagnose.
    A new piston and barrel wouldn't be the end of the world.
    Carb. overhaul kit while you're at it.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    No, whatever was done, was done.
    Best bring it to a repair place and see what they diagnose.
    A new piston and barrel wouldn't be the end of the world.
    Carb. overhaul not while you're at it.

Fair play nek thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

any opinions on this chainsaw
    http://www.ie.screwfix.com/titan-ttl632chn-40cm-1-9hp-35cc-petrol-chainsaw.html
    seriously cheaper than the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

ganmo wrote: »

Maybe for tipping around a few bits out the back or something. But heavy use and I can imagine it'll give. Often the engine will still be going with the cheap ones it's often silly stuff like plastic screws that thread arse ways, throttle levers popping and all the usual to expect with a cheap saw. Not really a bargain if you end up buying it a few times. My opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

ganmo wrote: »

Maybe for tipping around a few bits out the back or something. But heavy use and I can imagine it'll give. Often the engine will still be going with the cheap ones it's often silly stuff like plastic screws that thread arse ways, throttle levers popping and all the usual to expect with a cheap saw. Not really a bargain if you end up buying it a few times. My opinion.

Came across a Husky 65 dumped in a guys shed/scrap pile. It turns over and has some compression. Been there a few years, as briers have grown and died through the handle.
    Anyone here have one of these?
    Am very tempted to see will he part with it. I suppose it was the fore runner of the 61?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Hello,

Anyone know what the button on the right of the rear of this saw does?

Thanks
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

txpjl wrote: »
    Hello,

Anyone know what the button on the right of the rear of this saw does?

Thanks
    T

A lot of older saws,(from my youth) had a manual chain oiler, which was pumped from this button directly on to the chain.
    More than likely,that's what it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 tancoman

Husky 435. The husky 435 has become harder to start. It actually backfires on occasions. It hasn't much done, nothing very heavy and bought at the ploughing in 2014.Any ideas from the experts.

tancoman wrote: »
    Husky 435. The husky 435 has become harder to start. It actually backfires on occasions. It hasn't much done, nothing very heavy and bought at the ploughing in 2014.Any ideas from the experts.

Air leak is the prime suspect. That'll cause hard starting and backfiring.

Don't try using it until you figure out where the problem is or you'll be multiplying the cost to fix it by many times.

Hard to know not being able to get hands on, but start by checking the intake boot (PART # 504201201) as the most likely culprits. For 20 quid it's money well spent to replace the boot anyway I think.

Ask your dealer and they'll set you right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 tancoman

Thanks, will bring it to a husky dealer tomorrow.

Advertisement