Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Saw Chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Be mindful out there folks, we just had a man come around asking us to purchase some ash from the estate for use for hurleys. He gave us the name John Fleming. We ask some locals had they known him, as well as the local gard(as we do before allowing anyone on to the estate) and after a fashion we found that he is likely John Keane. If anyone here is unfamiliar with that man, this article will have you up to date:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0715/303757-ganleyd/

Be vigilante. He is still claiming to be from Faugheen. I was informed this very man had been given permission to remove 10 ash trees a few years back from our estate. After he had left, we found he had removed no less than 40 healthy trees from a wood we had not allowed him to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Reindeer wrote: »
    Be mindful out there folks, we just had a man come around asking us to purchase some ash from the estate for use for hurleys. He gave us the name John Fleming. We ask some locals had they known him, as well as the local gard(as we do before allowing anyone on to the estate) and after a fashion we found that he is likely John Keane. If anyone here is unfamiliar with that man, this article will have you up to date:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0715/303757-ganleyd/

Be vigilante. He is still claiming to be from Faugheen. I was informed this very man had been given permission to remove 10 ash trees a few years back from our estate. After he had left, we found he had removed no less than 40 healthy trees from a wood we had not allowed him to be in.
    I find it hard to fathom how anybody could have so much neck, I remember the story (I come from around there) and we all thought at the time it was unbelievable cheek.
    He should be locked up for a few years at least it might teach him that other peoples irreplaceable property means more than money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

O.A.P wrote: »
    I find it hard to fathom how anybody could have so much neck, I remember the story (I come from around there) and we all thought at the time it was unbelievable cheek.
    He should be locked up for a few years at least it might teach him that other peoples irreplaceable property means more than money.
    Did he not get jailed for a while

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Have all the saws fueled up and ready for road tomo, tonight and morning will be a wild one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Have all the saws fueled up and ready for road tomo, tonight and morning will be a wild one.

And have the tea and sandwiches in the lunch box.

• Advertisement

Did I promise to show results of modding my 241CM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKqetZ1q8B8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Good job Reindeer, the critics might be saying that you used different bar and possibly chain in your comparisions :)

Good job Reindeer, the critics might be saying that you used different bar and possibly chain in your comparisions :)

:)

I got the B&C for Christmas. I have no Husky saws any more, so I just grinded on that bar until it fit. It started life as 18" 72DL 325 bar, and ended up right at 70DL and 17" or so. I port matched the oiler hole because the saw was ported. But I think it would have given plenty of flow stock without messin' with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Looking at buying a small, light saw for cleanup work and for the missus to use. Proabably go for a stihl MS170, but it's sickening to see how expensive they are here compared to the UK.

They freely sell for around €190 inc vat in the UK, but start at €260 inc vat here. Stihl do not allow their dealers to send chainsaws out by courier, there has to be a handover process, so the irish market stays nicely protected.

The other alternative is a 30cc echo, seriously nice saw with a real quality feel to it. only one place selling it for a decent price in ireland though, everyone else wants funny money for them too.

Have a husqvarna 460 for the main saw, but wasnt at all impressed with the entry level huskys, very heavy for what they are, although at least pricing is a bit closer in line with the uk

An Echo 310 with a muffler mod pulls pretty well for her size. If you can swing it, the 360/355WES is a great lil saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

The echo's are nice alright, would love the 360wes, pint size power in a shot glass!

But the money is too much for what use it'll get. bought a second hand MS180 at lunctime which should do just nicely

Will one of you fellas buy this thing so it doesn't taunt me:

http://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/shindaiwa-490-chainsaw-as-new/8610466?offset=15

That is excellent value, and it appears the seller is a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That Shindawai is in Donnegans in Bailieboro. A very good dealer, will do his best for you. Sells a lot of saws out of a tiny little shop. You might remember he got a bit of negative publicity a few years ago, it was alleged that Stihl's and Husky's were being bought under the "Bike to work" scheme.....

In a local small repair shop yesterday, he has a 79cc Oleo-Mac. All metal body. Looks really good (Husky styling) and runs just fine.... Very tempted, just don't need another saw :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

What's your thoughts on a Husqvarna 55, Reindeer? Likely an open port model, certainly pre EPA. Compression is at 145psi and it's a tidy saw with no damage. Seller wants 200 with a new 15" .325 bar and chain. Seems like great value to me.

What's your thoughts on a Husqvarna 55, Reindeer? Likely an open port model, certainly pre EPA. Compression is at 145psi and it's a tidy saw with no damage. Seller wants 200 with a new 15" .325 bar and chain. Seems like great value to me.

The 55's are well built, some say overbuilt, saws that get the job done, and when they can't - parts are everywhere.

It will likely run fine for a while. But at 145, I would remove the jug, put in a new ring if the piston is clean, and remove the gasket and use a gasket sealant. Well, OK, I would also grind on it a bit...

In other news - New 241 vid. Wooo! She's getting angrier each tank now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpoanYuQu_Q

The 55's are well built, some say overbuilt, saws that get the job done, and when they can't - parts are everywhere.

It will likely run fine for a while. But at 145, I would remove the jug, put in a new ring if the piston is clean, and remove the gasket and use a gasket sealant. Well, OK, I would also grind on it a bit...

In other news - New 241 vid. Wooo! She's getting angrier each tank now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpoanYuQu_Q

Well, bought it. And the one beside it. 360 for both. Looks like I'll have to give this porting lark a go :)

Well, bought it. And the one beside it. 360 for both. Looks like I'll have to give this porting lark a go :)

Where's the pics?

Where's the pics?

I'll put some up tomorrow for you. I'm really happy with them. The guy selling them was a gent too.

He said 145psi for the one I went to look at but we put my compression tester on it and it showed 150 on one and 160 on the other. One is a 2003 and the other is a 2004. Identical saws for parts.

I'll put some up tomorrow for you. I'm really happy with them. The guy selling them was a gent too.

He said 145psi for the one I went to look at but we put my compression tester on it and it showed 150 on one and 160 on the other. One is a 2003 and the other is a 2004. Identical saws for parts.

You made out rather well, man.

You made out rather well, man.

Not great pictures but shows how clean these are..

• Advertisement

Anyone have a 281 or 181 Husqvarna they need to get rid of?

Anyone have a 281 or 181 Husqvarna they need to get rid of?

Didn't have ye down to be taking advantage of the mentally unstable. ;)

Didn't have ye down to be taking advantage of the mentally unstable. ;)

I'll settle for a McCUlloch 850...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

blue5000 wrote: »

Its a live auction, alot will change between now and end of auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

blue5000 wrote: »
    What saw do you run .404 on? Must be big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What saw do you run .404 on? Must be big.

is it not the big boys 880/3120 that uses that chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

jonon9 wrote: »
    is it not the big boys 880/3120 that uses that chain?
    Harvesters use it as well.

You can also run 404 on 088's and 660's etc. It allows for longer cutting between sharpening, and the chain itself lasts quite a bit longer than 3/8.

• Advertisement

Did I promise to show results of modding my 241CM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKqetZ1q8B8

I went into the saw again last week. Reduced the exhaust timing, added intake timing, left the transfer timing the same, and decreased the squish to .018"(reducing the combustion chamber size and increasing compression to 188PSI from 160). She's really come alive now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El8fsSv8UEQ

Advertisement