Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Saw Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Perfect for holding a door open or for those other occasions when you don’t need a working chainsaw.

Junk saw. Try to find a used 340, 345 or 350 if money is tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

JayZeus wrote: »
    Perfect for holding a door open or for those other occasions when you don’t need a working chainsaw.

That's What I like, An honest answer,no bull****.Thanks.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

UrbanFret wrote: »
    That's What I like, An honest answer,no bull****.Thanks.;)

Find a clean & cared for Husqvarna 61, only saw you'll ever need. Probably!

Bought this old Echo today. 60cc saw, they were made from 1965 until 1983.
    Note the hand oiler for the chain!

axLEZ2b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Does anyone know where to get a coil for an early 90's Jonsered. I am confused by ebay's offerings with a wide range of prices from 7 to 40 odd quid. Is a 7.99 coil from Hong kong worth a gamble?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to get a coil for an early 90's Jonsered. I am confused by ebay's offerings with a wide range of prices from 7 to 40 odd quid. Is a 7.99 coil from Hong kong worth a gamble?

No. On the gamble.

What’s the part number or saw model and serial number? I might have what you need.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

No. On the gamble.

What’s the part number or saw model and serial number? I might have what you need.

630 super II. Sorry I don't know the part number. 201015x ser no.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Join "chainsawcollectors.se" and talk to Magnus.
    (The local place that sells Jonsereds haven't got one in stock.
    They can order it, 80 euro.)

Edit. The mechanic guy that works there on saws and quads etc is a mate. Ill give him a call tonight to see if he has a 630 in the parts pile .....

630 super II. Sorry I don't know the part number. 201015x ser no.

Out of luck here I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Managed to get hold of a Husky 154 se that wasn't starting .Gave it a clean out and replaced missing idler screw and replaced starter cover with a 254 one. Had it compression tested, and it was only very slightly below what its meant to be -so was delighted, considering that it is 35 years old (1984) - It's basically an early version of the 254 XP.20181014_094648.jpg
    I have an 18 year old 365 Special that I use for everything and thought that the 154 might be good for smaller stuff and delimbing if it had a smaller bar - it presently has a 16" bar with .325 chain.The 365 has a 3/8 chain, plus i have a 3/8 easyfile....so was thinking of getting a 3/8 chain on a 13" bar (+ 3/8 drive sprocket ?). Is this a good idea, or should i stick to a .325 chain (on 13" bar) ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Seem to be a good few zomax saws around here now. Anybody any experience of them?

Seem to be a good few zomax saws around here now. Anybody any experience of them?

Chinese made saws, I believe.
    I'd buy a Makita/Echo/Oleo-Mac before a Zomax.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭huntsman77

Brother has a zomax zm5010 bought from local lad that does all the small engine repairs round here. Said he can get any parts for it and walbro carb in them as good as any. It's easy start and impressive power wise hasent done big pile of work but 3 year old trouble free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

That was the big thing that interested me that the guy selling them said he could have parts next day. I knowthey’re Chinese but seem much better than what you normally get from there.
    However got a good deal on an oleo-mac GSH-510

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Stan.

Best deal online or collection in Cork City for Aspen?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Stan. wrote: »
    Best deal online or collection in Cork City for Aspen?

Around €23/5l
    Can’t see it being sold online due to its volatility!

Bought some online today.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Stan. wrote: »
    Bought some online today.

Will the courier companies handle it?
    I thought they have a policy on inflamable or dangerous goods???

Fastway will be delivering it.

• Advertisement

invicta wrote: »
    Will the courier companies handle it?
    I thought they have a policy on inflamable or dangerous goods???

They have no problem delivering shotgun and rifle cartridges.
    Last time a I bought some, the driver couldn't find the house, so left a voice mail telling me they were inside the door of the local Centra........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

ganmo wrote: »
    Ordered a black and decker battery powered one for about 120 so we’ll see how I get on

I finally got some action out of this saw over the weekend.
    the battery lasts about half an hour which is grand for me, 6 hour recharge time though.

one major issue i have with it is it has no automatic oiler

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Just out of interest where can I buy shotgun and rifle cartridges online ?

SCOL wrote: »
    Just out of interest where can I buy shotgun and rifle cartridges online ?
    Most sports stores with an online presence will sell online, or more precisely, over the phone.
    I rang up to enquire about prices, agreed a deal and then had to text on photos of my licence ( both sides) plus photos of my passport and driving licence.
    When these had been recieved, I rang back with my debit card details. Debit card would need to match the ID name, address and details, as would (should) the delivery address .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I need to get some bits for the saw, is there much difference between the quality of Stihl, and Oregon cutting bars and chain

I need to get some bits for the saw, is there much difference between the quality of Stihl, and Oregon cutting bars and chain

Not sure about bars, but a tree surgeon once told me that the oregon chains were softer and easier to shapen - Stihl chains were harder, stay sharp for longer but take longer to file.
    He used nothing but Japanese made Sugihara bars.....they are expensive but meant to be very hard wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Never had an issue with my 236? Cuts fine, won’t take down a 24” oak easily but for someone doing small firewood it’s fine. I paid €120 ex vat from the UK
    I’d rather a cheap branded new saw over most 2nd hand ones and over any of the Chinese zenoah copies.

I also have a 550xp and 365x-torq but a cheap little saw like the 236 always has a place ;)

niallam wrote: »
    Never had an issue with my 236? Cuts fine, won’t take down a 24” oak easily but for someone doing small firewood it’s fine. I paid €120 ex vat from the UK
    I’d rather a cheap branded new saw over most 2nd hand ones and over any of the Chinese zenoah copies.

I also have a 550xp and 365x-torq but a cheap little saw like the 236 always has a place ;)

You have a 550 and 365, so you know the 236 doesn’t deserve a Husqvarna decal. It’s cheap and nasty electrolux junk, no better than any €100 chinese saw.

As something to lend to someone you don’t like, it’s perfect. Why would anyone with a 550xp want to use a 236?

As Dougal would say, “That’s mad, Ted’.

wayoutwest wrote: »
    Managed to get hold of a Husky 154 se that wasn't starting .Gave it a clean out and replaced missing idler screw and replaced starter cover with a 254 one. Had it compression tested, and it was only very slightly below what its meant to be -so was delighted, considering that it is 35 years old (1984) - It's basically an early version of the 254 XP.20181014_094648.jpg
    I have an 18 year old 365 Special that I use for everything and thought that the 154 might be good for smaller stuff and delimbing if it had a smaller bar - it presently has a 16" bar with .325 chain.The 365 has a 3/8 chain, plus i have a 3/8 easyfile....so was thinking of getting a 3/8 chain on a 13" bar (+ 3/8 drive sprocket ?). Is this a good idea, or should i stick to a .325 chain (on 13" bar) ?.

Smashing saw Tim. Stick with .325 on it IMHO. I have 16” bars for my 254 and find it’s just about perfect for limbing and small firewood use. It’ll pull full size 3/8 but the saw’s built to take .325 and with the right chain you’ll be well pleased I’m sure.

• Advertisement

Smashing saw Tim. Stick with .325 on it IMHO. I have 16” bars for my 254 and find it’s just about perfect for limbing and small firewood use. It’ll pull full size 3/8 but the saw’s built to take .325 and with the right chain you’ll be well pleased I’m sure.

Cheers JayZeus. I had a use for it the other day - clearing up a garden that was littered with fallen Ash limbs.Had the 16" bar +.325 chain that it came with- was smiling at the aggressive lively power it had + lighter than the 365 (by a kilo or two)) - total pleasure to use and not a problem with starting it (hot or cold). It stands me at €150 ,which is €100 less than a new 236, that I was going to buy.
    I think you are right about keeping 16"" bar and .325 - it felt like a nice light, fast setup + good reach without being unwieldy. The bar is in great condition , but the chain is halfway - what make/type of chain would you recommend i get for limbing/small firewood ?

---wayoutwest (not Tim !)

Advertisement