Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Saw Chat

Options
  • 07-10-2014 11:03pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bonnie and Clyde, toast and jam, night and day. Some things just go together and if you're involved in Forestry you've probably an interest in chainsaws.

So whether you are a Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Efco, Tanaka or other brand owner this thread can be where owners or buyers can discuss and debate anything about saws from oils to chains, down to PPE.

If you have a chainsaw related query that you feel is too small for its own thread or you want to let people know of good deals, hints/advice or places to buy parts then post it here.

(Original concept courtesy of 'Mozart'.)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

We had an old bushman saw, dont kno how we managed withouta chainsaw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I have came across good cheap chainsaw files there online, they are rockwood brand, used use stihl or bacho but found they dont last long. These rockwood ones have good lasting life. its a uk supplier on ebay but gets shipments to parcelmotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Pat McArdle

Completely agree about Stihl files. Haven't used Bahco but I'll take your word for it. I got a box of 12 Vallorbe files for about 15 quid delivered from Amazon about 2 years ago and they're a million times better than the Stihl ones. Once you tap the scarf out of it every few teeth and give it a rub of a wire brush every few chains they're like brand new.

The bacho are better than the stihl in fairness, heard about that brand file. I need some 5/32" files so will google see can i get that brand. That was excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A tip for a new file is to rub it in a lump of brass before you sharpen anything with it. This helps the teeth to last longer, also a flat file can be cleaned with a piece of hardwood, beech is good.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    A tip for a new file is to rub it in a lump of brass before you sharpen anything with it. This helps the teeth to last longer, also a flat file can be cleaned with a piece of hardwood, beech is good.

What does the brass do do you know?

It sort of clogs up the bottom of the teeth, giving them support, which helps the file last longer.

Must try that tip, an old plumbing fitting be grand would it, Or a piece out of a door lock mechanism?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

blue5000 have you tried to run a side by side test, one file with brass and one without? Does the filing take longer when you get to using an older brassed file?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Old blunt files can be resurrected by leaving them in some vinegar for a day or two, the acid reacts with the steel and can give a renewed lease of life for a few more goes.
    I use a golf ball as a file handle.
    Keep any files you carry with you in the field in Drinking straws, Mcdonalds have them for free, it keeps them from getting blunted.

Oldtree wrote: »
    blue5000 have you tried to run a side by side test, one file with brass and one without? Does the filing take longer when you get to using an older brassed file?

Sorry no Oldtree. I'd be lucky to find a file never mind 2 when I go into the workshop.:o It's a tip I picked up in either an engineering book or website.

Sir Arthur, I use a big 2'' plumbing fitting.

Pro build V8 Chainsaw :D

Landed home earlier to see lengths of 4x2 and threaded bar and nuts and a note from a neighbour to build him a rack for cutting firewood on the cheap. Any suggestions? :)

like a saw horse?

06x076m-store-more-wooden-saw-horse.jpg

SawHorse.jpg

neighbour bought somthing like this below and swears by it, says teeth great for holding wood in place.

Mitox%20MISHB%20log%20holder%20saw%20horse.jpg

could also add a chain in the middle for extra grip. Don't forget to measure the neighbour :D

Thanks for those Oldtree, the middle one is one that I could just manage to make. The height of it neednt be critical anything is being better than cutting on the ground.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Middle one above is pretty common round our parts - nailed together from any sort of beefy scrap timber. Considering the amount of nicks our one has, the metal saw horse would either be sent flying, or would make ribbons of the chain if you buzzed too close with the blade. The top one made from fenceposts looks nice though - almost too nice to use... :)

I would worry about the metal one too Mike, but the neighbour hasn't killed himself .... yet. I thought the idea of the teeth is a good one to incorporate into a wooden saw horse.

looks sound

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Looks good to me. To be honest, any I've made, I don't think I've ever run a measuring tape over them - just nailed them together at the height I wanted the log to sit, and trimmed everything up with the chainsaw. At the end of the day it's for rough work, so I wouldn't go nuts trying to make it perfect. Having said that though, make one out of decent timber to the specs you've just posted, and bolted instead of nailed, and you'll get years of use out of it.

I gets very ocd in making things, measurements have to be right etc. Im odd like that.

I gets very ocd in making things, measurements have to be right etc. Im odd like that.

As quirks go, that's not a bad one to have. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the finished project.

I will post up a pic on completion.

The middle one is good, has a way of supporting the log when it gets shorter than the saw horse, here's a flimsy one from stihl

http://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/Accessories/Chainsaw-Accessories/21053-1649/Wooden-Saw-Horse.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Ran a tank through the 543XPG and first impressions are good. Apparently it'll take about 7-10 tanks to get it running nice and free so I'll use it instead of the log saw this winter just to get some hours on it. Nicely balanced saw and very easy to work with for the time I used it so far. Looking forward to putting it to some real work in the late spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

Jonty wrote: »

I use one the whole time. Fine job. Very safe, especially for smaller stuff with a diameter of less than 100mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Ran a tank through the 543XPG and first impressions are good. Apparently it'll take about 7-10 tanks to get it running nice and free so I'll use it instead of the log saw this winter just to get some hours on it. Nicely balanced saw and very easy to work with for the time I used it so far. Looking forward to putting it to some real work in the late spring.

Here's my two saws currently. The 241 has a muffler mod and the 044 is ported all to hell and back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhhyXlodfBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVTk3jGfAIM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Reindeer wrote: »
    Here's my two saws currently. The 241 has a muffler mod and the 044 is ported all to hell and back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhhyXlodfBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVTk3jGfAIM

Are you going to port the 241?

How much thirstier is the 241 with the muffler mod? Won't ask about the noise!

Advertisement