Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

New insider build is out, you can see what's new here.

Interestingly enough, they're also changing how you can activate Windows, as it will now apparently accept a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Windows Key rather than needing to activate during an upgrade. Don't think that this carries over to normal Windows 10, but I'd say it will in time.
    Device activation improvements: We have received a lot of feedback from Insiders on making it easier to activate Windows 10 on devices that take advantage of the free upgrade offer to genuine Windows by using existing Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product keys. If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup. Refer to the Insider Hub for more information on these activation improvements including requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Installed it tonight.. so far it's grand and yayy!!! you can finally turn off their "hero" wallpaper on the sign-in screen! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Installed it myself last night from a flash drive, it took about an hour followed by a quick run to my manufacturers site for the touchpad driver and its flying it. I really like the Edge browser..

I tried a clean install in work today using the gatherosstate.exe trick. Worked perfectly, that will save me a lot of time! :)

I've noticed that a post-setup script on the WDS server in work doesn't seem to be executing properly on Windows 10. The setupcomplete.cmd file runs, but doesn't launch a particular application in the script. Not really sure why, scratching my head over it.

Is there any way to get to install on my ancient Dimension 3000? I keep getting the dreaded "NX is not supported by your processor" a Pentium P4 HT by the way. I'm running W7 on it atm

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    Is there any way to get to install on my ancient Dimension 3000? I keep getting the dreaded "NX is not supported by your processor" a Pentium P4 HT by the way. I'm running W7 on it atm
    Unless there's an option to enable No Execute or Execute Disable protection in the BIOS, your processor probably doesn't support it. Only the late Prescott P4s supported it, not even all of the Prescotts did. I know my brother's Dimension 5000 didn't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Karsini wrote: »
    Unless there's an option to enable No Execute or Execute Disable protection in the BIOS, your processor probably doesn't support it. Only the late Prescott P4s supported it, not even all of the Prescotts did. I know my brother's Dimension 5000 didn't.
    This might be one of those times someone should consider upgrading their BIOS.

This might be one of those times someone should consider upgrading their BIOS.

Really??? God, I'd never have thought of that!!! Good job someone like you came along....... (to state the bloody obvious)

No harm in trying (if following the usual BIOS precautions) but since it's a socket 478 motherboard I'd find it unlikely. The E0 stepping of the Prescott core implemented it and I think this was 775 only. Let me know if I'm wrong though. :) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

jca wrote: »
    Really??? God, I'd never have thought of that!!! Good job someone like you came along....... (to state the bloody obvious)

The sarcasm thread is over there
    >>

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    The sarcasm thread is over there
    >>

I've just come from there....

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Karsini wrote: »

Just to confirm the Intel "Prescott" P4 (socket 478) will not work with Windows 10 (or 8.1 for that matter). A message stating "CPU is not compatible" when trying to install 10. I get this message with the 3.40E.

Only the socket 775 or later has the NX architecture required to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Socket 775 is nearly 10 years old

I'm all for keeping old machines going, but why on earth would you want a pre S775 machine running on W10? :D

P.S. I have installed W10 myself on several S775 systems...

unkel wrote: »
    Socket 775 is nearly 10 years old

I'm all for keeping old machines going, but why on earth would you want a pre S775 machine running on W10? :D

P.S. I have installed W10 myself on several S775 systems...

How did you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How do you mean?

unkel wrote: »
    How do you mean?

Sorry I misread your post I thought you had put W10 on pre S775 machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I've been running my pc for about three years on Windows 7 without doing a reinstall - oh the shame!
    I'm getting the prompts to upgrade to 10 now which I'm considering doing.
    Is there an option to do this as a fresh install rather than an upgrade? I have all my data on a separate drive than my OS drive.

How are people finding it coming from 7 - I haven't read the whole thread...

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I've been running my pc for about three years on Windows 7 without doing a reinstall - oh the shame!
    I'm getting the prompts to upgrade to 10 now which I'm considering doing.
    Is there an option to do this as a fresh install rather than an upgrade? I have all my data on a separate drive than my OS drive.

How are people finding it coming from 7 - I haven't read the whole thread...

Yes, there is a way. One way is to do the upgrade and then do a PC reset, but here's a quicker way.

Download the media creation tool from here and burn it to a disc or save it to a flash drive.

From the install files you just downloaded, open the sources directory and copy "gatherosstate.exe" to a writeable folder, such as your desktop. Run this as an admin and it should generate a file named GenuineTicket.xml in the same folder. Save this somewhere safe, such as your data drive.

Perform your clean install (skipping any product key prompts) and when it completes, save GenuineTicket.xml to the folder named C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket and reboot. After the reboot you should be activated. I've done this twice now and it worked on both occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skankrandy

Hi, I downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade but haven't installed it yet. Ever since, I've been getting the bsod. Anyone else having this problem? Is it the download or just coincidence?

Thanks for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BarJustas

It is possible to upgrade legal windows vista to Win 8 or 10 for free ?

• Advertisement

BarJustas wrote: »
    It is possible to upgrade legal windows vista to Win 8 or 10 for free ?

No I don't think you can. It's only available free from W7 upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

I upgraded to windows 10 from 8.1 during the week without any issues on my lenovo laptop.
    On saturday night i slammed my laptop over as was late for something and it was still on with a USB Stick still connected to it.
    So yesterday went to turn it on and have blue screen of death and cant fix it.
    It has Bad_System_Confiq_Info and ive tried online and tried everything.
    automatic repair wont work, safe mode wont work, theres no system restore points and it wont let me reset... command prompt is the only other option if somenhow could fix the issue from there... head is wrecked as dont want to have to reinstall it and wipe the computer,

has anyone else had same thing happen or any info?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Supposedly BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO points to a corrupt registry. Try running sfc /scannow and dism.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/
    If that doesn't work try restoring your registry (note, this is for windows 7. I am not sure if it will work on win10)
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupt-registry-root-cause-in-startup-repair/f77d5355-b8be-41d6-af24-cae994e1768f?auth=1

d31b0y wrote: »
    Supposedly BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO points to a corrupt registry. Try running sfc /scannow and dism.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/
    If that doesn't work try restoring your registry (note, this is for windows 7. I am not sure if it will work on win10)
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupt-registry-root-cause-in-startup-repair/f77d5355-b8be-41d6-af24-cae994e1768f?auth=1

i'll try it tonight, thanks for that!

d31b0y wrote: »

no joy, but thanks for posting, only figured out today that the Lenovo U410 is not compatible with windows 10 which is a joke as its only a couple of years old!

still stuck with it but im in the process of hoping to copy everything to an external hardrive. the command prompt is picking up the external Hardrive but for some reason my drive is on X and wont let me for some reason

cheers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

madma wrote: »
    no joy, but thanks for posting, only figured out today that the Lenovo U410 is not compatible with windows 10 which is a joke as its only a couple of years old!

still stuck with it but im in the process of hoping to copy everything to an external hardrive. the command prompt is picking up the external Hardrive but for some reason my drive is on X and wont let me for some reason

cheers

Command prompt drive X: is normal if you've booted from recovery media. Try cd c: to switch to your primary drive. If that works you can try using robocopy to get everything copied over to your external drive - otherwise you need to find and mount the partition. Will post again with the commands to use.

Fysh wrote: »
    Command prompt drive X: is normal if you've booted from recovery media. Try cd c: to switch to your primary drive. If that works you can try using robocopy to get everything copied over to your external drive - otherwise you need to find and mount the partition. Will post again with the commands to use.

That worked thanks!

I tried 2 ways to copy so far and they havent work, the below i copied from online

robocopy s: d: /E /MT:20 /V /ETA /LOG:c:\users\userid\desktop\robocopy.txt

*This way it will do a multithreaded copy (copying 20 files at a time vs 1 at a time), and give you a log of what it misses or errors on, if you want to purge the files that are no longer on the source then by all means do the MIR. After you have found the files with the system attribute in the log you can create a batch file rather quickly to remove the system attribute on those files and run the copy again. Note that if a file is in use you cannot copy it in this method, usually system files are in use like the explorer.exe. Keep in mind that hidden files/folders also will not be copied.*

have just tried this: robocopy "C:\old" "D:\new" *.* /copyall /R:0 /ZB /V /MIR /TEE /TS /FP /LOG:moved_files.txt /ETA)
    and its running so ill see how this goes

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From my MS account dashboard:

4om2n31.png

Cept core doesnt exist except for IoT and its no IoT install thats for sure. SSD died so I check on the system itself, W10 home?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

ED E wrote: »
    From my MS account dashboard:

Cept core doesnt exist except for IoT and its no IoT install thats for sure. SSD died so I check on the system itself, W10 home?

All my Win10 (pro/home) devices are marked as 'core', so I guess it has a different meaning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Currently running Skyrim on Windows 8.1 and it's grand. For those of you that have upgraded to Windows 10, will there be any compatibility problems going from 8.1 to 10 for Skyrim? If so, know of any fixes using Steam?

Advertisement