Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

gucci wrote: »
    Apologies for the repost - but can anyone help me out here? Has anyone any experience of it?
    I'd rather not try and do a clean install of Windows 10, not sure if I am confident enough!!

Could be just post-install updates & configuration and in theory it will settle down after PC is left on for a while.
    Check Task Manager to see if your Hard Disk is hitting 100% usage, and what program is using it.
    If it's something like Trusted Installer then it is MS stuff running and will settle down after a while.

There is a new Windows 10 version released, version 1511, that could be downloading in the background.
    If you want you could download the new v1511 ISO and do a clean install again as a last resort.
    New ISO can be downloaded from here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

based on some experiences here this week, W10 is NOT as efficient as it should be when doing some disc related tasks. The machine being used was a reasonably good Acer with 6 Gb and an A6 processor, I was trying to clone an old Vista HDD using external caddies on USB 3 ports, and despite the CPU, memory and Disc I/O stats all being well below 100%, nothing else would run while it was doing that task, the CPU wasn't much above 70%, but it wouldn't even load a browser, let alone run it.

Then there's the joy of the morons at M$ that think it's clever to use filenames that are over 200 characters long, which can blow a copy if the destination folder isn't in the root directory and only about 4 characters long, which doesn't help when there's perhaps 100Gb to be copied before trying to repair the operating sytem that won't boot,

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I've found a workaround for the forced driver updates which might be acceptable enough for me to use 10 on at least one device anyway, but you need Pro to do it.

Open Local Group Policy (gpedit.msc) and go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions

Enable "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" and paste in the PCI device ID of the device you want to block. After this is done, Windows will prevent any drivers from being changed for the device. Windows Update will still try to update it, but will fail, at which point you can block it the usual ways (wushowhide.diagcab or Hide-WUUpdate).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Then there's the joy of the morons at M$ that think it's clever to use filenames that are over 200 characters long, which can blow a copy if the destination folder isn't in the root directory and only about 4 characters long, which doesn't help when there's perhaps 100Gb to be copied before trying to repair the operating sytem that won't boot,

Can you can prefix the destination path with \\?\
    i.e copy to
    \\?\d:\longpathnamehere\
    to allow 32,000 char paths.
    It'll work with windows explorer and some programs that use the modern windows API file functions.

ressem wrote: »
    Can you can prefix the destination path with \\?\
    i.e copy to
    \\?\d:\longpathnamehere\
    to allow 32,000 char paths.
    It'll work with windows explorer and some programs that use the modern windows API file functions.

Or even use robocopy source destination /E

• Advertisement

Problem was that I didn't know there was an issue until a long way in to the copy, it was a disaster recovery scenario, many thousands of files totalling over 19Gb to copy to a backup device before resolving a dead operating system, and the files that wouldn't copy were buried in a sub directory of a sub directory several times removed, so the simplest solution given the time involved was to use a clone copy (Easus) from one disc to another that didn't care about the structure as such, took a while as it was a 320 Gb drive, but it gave me the copy I needed so that I could clean up the original disc to reinstall Vista (Yeah!) and then restore what was left of the users data after they'd tried to repair it and got the selections wrong.

Getting there, at last, not nice when the user does an initial backup of the device, and then never again, so there was nearly 200 updates to be installed after reloading the system, and even on E Fibre that's not a quick process.

Oh the joys of end users that are not really aware of the risks they run by not having security copies on a regular basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Problem was that I didn't know there was an issue until a long way in to the copy, it was a disaster recovery scenario, many thousands of files totalling over 19Gb to copy to a backup device before resolving a dead operating system, and the files that wouldn't copy were buried in a sub directory of a sub directory several times removed, so the simplest solution given the time involved was to use a clone copy (Easus) from one disc to another that didn't care about the structure as such, took a while as it was a 320 Gb drive, but it gave me the copy I needed so that I could clean up the original disc to reinstall Vista (Yeah!) and then restore what was left of the users data after they'd tried to repair it and got the selections wrong.

Getting there, at last, not nice when the user does an initial backup of the device, and then never again, so there was nearly 200 updates to be installed after reloading the system, and even on E Fibre that's not a quick process.

Oh the joys of end users that are not really aware of the risks they run by not having security copies on a regular basis

Sooo glad I gave up all that malarkey no money would pay you for all that hassle. I hope you have a shop at least you can attempt to charge for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Found one problem so far after upgrading to 10.
    No camera on laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

kleefarr wrote: »
    No camera on laptop.

Try downloading the camera driver from your manufacturers website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

kleefarr wrote: »
    No camera on laptop.

Open search on your computer and search for device manager. Open it up and look at the list for camera and the driver might be there already but not installed. Worked for me with my wireless driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Can anyone tell me how to uninstall this latest update. Only got a new laptop, when i hit the update i lost all my excel files from the laptop they disappeared.

I had them on a memory stick so i had them back and i updated them yesterday evening and saved them in a folder.

When i restarted my computer this morning the files that i updated went back to what they were like before i updated them last night.

Luckily i had them backed up again but i can't understand what is happening.

Also i am using a software tool to run reports for these files and now it takes ages to run. Before i updated to windows 10 it took a minute to run reports and now it's taking 10 minutes.

I am working from home so i can't have files disappearing and the software tool taking 10 minutes to run a report.

I would be grateful if anyone could help at all, my laptop is going so slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to uninstall this latest update. Only got a new laptop, when i hit the update i lost all my excel files from the laptop they disappeared.

I had them on a memory stick so i had them back and i updated them yesterday evening and saved them in a folder.

When i restarted my computer this morning the files that i updated went back to what they were like before i updated them last night.

Luckily i had them backed up again but i can't understand what is happening.

Also i am using a software tool to run reports for these files and now it takes ages to run. Before i updated to windows 10 it took a minute to run reports and now it's taking 10 minutes.

I am working from home so i can't have files disappearing and the software tool taking 10 minutes to run a report.

I would be grateful if anyone could help at all, my laptop is going so slow.

Perhaps consider a 'reset' of windows 10?
    Reset your PC. Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option. Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.

IF you only updated to Win10 in the last few days, it's possible that the version (1511, build 10580) you got is the one that has been withdrawn by Microsoft at the end of the week, and if that is the case, then the best option will be to revert back to the previous version of windows, which you can do without losing any of your data files.

Having said that, given that you have been having problems with strange things happening to your computer, if you have a "spare" external drive, I would STRONGLY recommend that you take a back up on to that device of all user data files, as it seems that there are strange things happening on that machine, so better to have done a backup and not need it than to not do one, and then discover that something has gone wrong.

I have seen an issue with W10 where you select a folder, but if you then save files into what you think is the selected folder, the files end up in a level above the one that you thought they were going in to, but I've not had the time or the enthusiasm to try and work out exactly what's going on with this, when this happens, I'm usually under pressure to get something else resolved, so there's not time to go digging into what is effectively a diversion from the task I set out to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

jca wrote: »
    Try downloading the camera driver from your manufacturers website.
    Nothing there.
    ken wrote: »
    Open search on your computer and search for device manager. Open it up and look at the list for camera and the driver might be there already but not installed. Worked for me with my wireless driver.

Can't see camera in device manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Anyone had an issue with limited connectivity since getting windows ten? Never happened before my update but it's wrwcking my head. Pure random, turning off nd on 4 times solves it but it keeps coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

Anyone had an issue with limited connectivity since getting windows ten? Never happened before my update but it's wrwcking my head. Pure random, turning off nd on 4 times solves it but it keeps coming back

Sometimes when I boot up it won't connect to my WiFi,I have to turn it off and back on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I did the upgrade on Monday night on my Win 7 Dell laptop. The upgrade went smoothly, but after I booted up, the screen kept blanking out, almost like a black screensaver was kicking in. I did ctrl-alt-del to get to the task manager, and was pleasantly surprised to find the MSCONFIG options for startup there too. I disabled a load of apps, anything that seemed vaguely non-essential, and it booted up normally from there.

It does seem to do this periodic 'refresh' of the desktop, where it takes a few seconds to redisplay - as used to happen if Windows Explorer terminated in previous versions. This is happening fairly consistently now for me - any ideas what I need to do to stop this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Finally got a ssd for my laptop, already have Windows 10 and is activated what would be the best way to do a clean install? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

best way is through the system settings. just go to the restore settings

• Registered Users Posts: 27 robinmgp

Hello Everyone! Mainstream support for Windows 7 has ended, meaning less updates!!
    How is this a bad thing? updates just get in your way!! Actually, updates are what have kept your computer alive all through till today!! Less security patches means you are MUCH more vulnerable to get a virus :( Windows 10 is still in it's mainstream support, and Microsoft plan to keep it like that until mid-2020. However, your free upgrade is only available for a small time, The upgrade to windows 10 will cost €99.99 Starting 28th July, 2016. So Upgrade!! And you'll have it free forever. Upgrade for FREE and you get:
    Faster PC
    Less chance of getting viruses
    Much extended range of apps
    More productivity
    And much more! Even if you're on low-end hardware. How would I know? I've had Windows 10 since February 4th. So why not give it a try? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

robinmgp wrote: »
    Upgrade for FREE and you get:
    Faster PC
    Less chance of getting viruses
    Much extended range of apps
    More productivity
    And you have documented evidence to support this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

TBF. i have noticed myself that 10 runs better on some systems that struggled with 7. i noticed on my own old laptop which was designed for 7 had faster boot times and itunes was faster loading. just that little bit snapppier. Early days less chances as people spend time playig with 10 virus's will be created as with all systems.

Apps definetly the windows store is growing fair enough it doenst have a great selection but neither did android market when it started. more productivity dont really agree unless your utilizing the workspaces
    but im pro windows 10

I have noticed that my USB 3 transfer speeds are slow( using USB 3 flash drives) in my USB 3 ports.I am guessing it's to do with my drives on my laptop not being up to date? How do I check if this is the case? Using a HP laptop running Windows 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Were they faster before having 10 installed? Slow USB3.0 flash drives are a thing unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Downloaded and installed yesterday, liking it so far and some of the little features are handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Jhcx wrote: »
    TBF. i have noticed myself that 10 runs better on some systems that struggled with 7. i noticed on my own old laptop which was designed for 7 had faster boot times and itunes was faster loading. just that little bit snapppier. ..

A fresh install can also do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I have noticed that my USB 3 transfer speeds are slow( using USB 3 flash drives) in my USB 3 ports.I am guessing it's to do with my drives on my laptop not being up to date? How do I check if this is the case? Using a HP laptop running Windows 10

USB3 is meaningless. You should check the speeds that drives are rated too. Then benchmark to see what you are getting.

http://usb.userbenchmark.com/

Meesared wrote: »
    Were they faster before having 10 installed? Slow USB3.0 flash drives are a thing unfortunately

I,m not sure,i never really used usb3 before i installed windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

So. I think I'm about ready to make the jump to Windows 10.
    Going to be upgrading from 8.1 and then doing a clean install.

Just a few question, looking for some tips etc.

Got 8.1 installed on an SSD with most of my smaller programs installed on it. Anything big like my Steam directory, Battlenet, Uplay etc and all my documents are on a 2TB mechanical drive. Got a 640GB drive and a 250GB drive for backing up docs etc.

What's the easiest way to do this?
    Obviously going to back up all my documents before I make the jump but was wondering if I will need to wipe my 2TB harddrive with the fresh install seeing as I have some programs installed on there? Will reinstalling these programs once Win10 has been set up disrupt the files on the 2TB drive?

Should I disconnect the non OS harddrives before I do the fresh install?

Just looking for the easiest way of doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I,m not sure,i never really used usb3 before i installed windows 10.
    Probably just a slow USB 3.0 drive in that case, they are pretty common, though fast USB 3.0 drives are getting cheaper they used to be fairly expensive!

Advertisement