Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi<

I'm still waiting for mine...
    The info box tells me "We are validating your PC for W10...."

Still ..... ????

Are other people in the same boat..

What to do ???

Thanks

Jay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Upgraded to win10, then waited for it to activate and did clean install but it keeps looping to the upgrade install and custom install screen can not even put win 8 back on as recovery disks won't work

• Registered Users Posts: 64,991 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you're sure the upgrade activated, reboot from the DVD / USB with the W10 installation on it, and make sure you do a proper fresh install - choose new install and delete all partitions before you let it install into the single unallocated space on your hard disk (this obviously kills off any recovery from your old Windows 8 system - make sure all your data is backed up too)

unkel wrote: »
    If you're sure the upgrade activated, reboot from the DVD / USB with the W10 installation on it, and make sure you do a proper fresh install - choose new install and delete all partitions before you let it install into the single unallocated space on your hard disk (this obviously kills off any recovery from your old Windows 8 system - make sure all your data is backed up too)

I can delete all but two partions I think this is why it keep looping on me. How can I delete these partions? Thanks for the reply

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I can delete all but two partions I think this is why it keep looping on me. How can I delete these partions? Thanks for the reply

If you want to wipe the entire disk you can press shift+F10 and run diskpart from the command prompt. If you only have one disk connected it should be disk 0 but check first:

List disk
    Select disk x (replace x with the disk number from the list command)
    Clean

That will wipe every partition. Personally I'd advise disconecting all other disks or flash drives and external drives before running it.

• Advertisement

You should be able to wipe all partitions at the start of the Windows 10 installation. But only if you boot up from Windows 10 bootable installation media (DVD / USB)!

What Karsini said about disk part is good advice but it's a little bit tricky if you don't know what you're at. Good idea though to disconnect any drive that you don't want wiped though :D

Karsini wrote: »
    If you want to wipe the entire disk you can press shift+F10 and run diskpart from the command prompt. If you only have one disk connected it should be disk 0 but check first:

List disk
    Select disk x (replace x with the disk number from the list command)
    Clean

That will wipe every partition. Personally I'd advise disconecting all other disks or flash drives and external drives before running it.

Can I still do this as I have no os on the PC

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Can I still do this as I have no os on the PC

You can do it from the Windows install disc or drive if you have one, press Shift and F10 when the setup finishes loading, but you should be able to remove the partitions without needing diskpart in most cases.

You can do it from the Windows install disc or drive if you have one, press Shift and F10 when the setup finishes loading, but you should be able to remove the partitions without needing diskpart in most cases.

Is there a link that I could follow on YouTube ?

Why can't you just delete the partitions during normal W10 install (from boot media)?

You getting any error messages?

Wanna put up some screenshots - we might be able to helo you the easy way!

• Advertisement

Why can't you just delete the partitions during normal W10 install (from boot media)?

You getting any error messages?

Wanna put up some screenshots - we might be able to helo you the easy way!

Im not given the option to delete it, all I get is this partion is too small for windows. At work so can't send any screen shots

You're either deleting the wrong partition (recovery partition, EFI system partition), or you have a small disk capacity tablet which had a compressed install of Windows 8.1 with Bing?

Anyway, post up some screenshots when you get a chance and I'm sure we'll get you going :)

You're either deleting the wrong partition (recovery partition, EFI system partition), or you have a small disk capacity tablet which had a compressed install of Windows 8.1 with Bing?

Anyway, post up some screenshots when you get a chance and I'm sure we'll get you going :)

I was following a clean install vid on which showed deleting all the partions so I assumed I could also?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I allowed my Laptop to be upgraded to Windows 10 awhile ago but Start Menu hasn't worked since (I can right click on the start button), I believe it's not an option to revert back to Windows 7 once 30 days from the upgrade has passed, anyone help out ? I would probably prefer to go back to my previous OP as the laptop was only purchased 6 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

I allowed my Laptop to be upgraded to Windows 10 awhile ago but Start Menu hasn't worked since (I can right click on the start button), I believe it's not an option to revert back to Windows 7 once 30 days from the upgrade has passed, anyone help out ? I would probably prefer to go back to my previous OP as the laptop was only purchased 6 months ago

If you have the godmode folder on your desktop , the option is there to revert to W7.

If you dont have godmode folder , then set it up now .

If your Windows 10 upgrade is activated, you can wipe your hard drive and install Windows 10 from scratch. It won't ask for any license key and it will activate automatically. Your start menu will be working fine when you do that, I would bet a lot of money on it :)

I wouldn't go back to Windows 7 at this stage. Windows 10 is where it is at now...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,732 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Alternative option.. get Start10 and use that.. it's far better anyway IMO and includes the native-style Win 10 Start Menu too :)

2forjoy wrote: »
    If you have the godmode folder on your desktop , the option is there to revert to W7.

If you dont have godmode folder , then set it up now .

Don't see any such folder and search isn't available :mad:
    If your Windows 10 upgrade is activated, you can wipe your hard drive and install Windows 10 from scratch. It won't ask for any license key and it will activate automatically. Your start menu will be working fine when you do that, I would bet a lot of money on it

I wouldn't go back to Windows 7 at this stage. Windows 10 is where it is at now...

How do you mean activated ? I've been using it for awhile now but it's been sh1t, no start button/menu, no search feature. I know it's not working anywhere near the way it should and the laptop is only 6 months old. This would probably be my preferred option but wiping my hd and installing from where ?
    Alternative option.. get Start10 and use that.. it's far better anyway IMO and includes the native-style Win 10 Start Menu too

Thanks but I'd prefer a Windows solution for now rather than a third party.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You shouldn't need to wipe it. You can do a repair install:
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Of course back up all your important files to another volume first.

If the repair install works, that's fine. Mind, that's just a repair of the upgraded system. There's nothing better than a clean install though. Upgrades are always compromises!

• Advertisement

I'm downloading from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

with a view to a fresh install ;)

Good luck!

Make sure you get the right version of the download. There are two: Home and Pro. Only one will work for you.

Just finished that install now and all seems good :D

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply ;)

Nice one, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Anyone know if Microsoft have sorted the delays in activating Windows 10 on some machines. I waited almost two weeks and no activation so I went back down to 7. I don't want to update again to 10 until the activation servers have caught up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

obezyana wrote: »
    Anyone know if Microsoft have sorted the delays in activating Windows 10 on some machines. I waited almost two weeks and no activation so I went back down to 7. I don't want to update again to 10 until the activation servers have caught up.

I had the same problem activating it on my laptop when Windows 10 first came out but I just spammed the activate button until it worked.

Anyone know if Microsoft have sorted the delays in activating Windows 10 on some machines. I waited almost two weeks and no activation

That is strange. It usually is a matter of a few minutes / a few reboots

You did make sure all windows updates have installed, I presume?

I think so far about 120 million people have successfully upgraded to Windows 10. From that statistic alone, it seems the problem is not with the upgrade, the problem is local to your PC.

I've done a few upgrades over the last week and had no activation issues on any of them thankfully.

Am almost ready to give it another go at home I think, on the desktop anyway.

I've done a few upgrades over the last week and had no activation issues on any of them thankfully.

I've done about 30-40 so far. In the early days back in July some took up to 2 days. All recent upgrades activated pretty much immediately for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

That is strange. It usually is a matter of a few minutes / a few reboots

You did make sure all windows updates have installed, I presume?

I think so far about 120 million people have successfully upgraded to Windows 10. From that statistic alone, it seems the problem is not with the upgrade, the problem is local to your PC.

Yep my machine is up to date and it is activated with 7 and it keeps asking me to install 10 but like I said I don't want to if it means ill be waiting another two weeks waiting to see if it will activate. I did read that the servers were overloaded with activation's so i decided id leave it a few weeks. My sisters one did activate straight away when she upgraded (3 weeks ago) so I suppose I should just try it again and see how it goes.

Advertisement