Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Shred wrote: »
    See a previous post of mine; I'd already upgraded and clean installed before fitting the new SSD:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96532986&postcount=1241

For you, the last two steps are relevant:

4. Upgraded to W10, signed in with my MS account and ensured it was activated.
    5. Performed a clean install from a bootable USB, skipped the license key prompt (it prompted twice, separately) and signed in again with my MS account.

So all I needed to do was install the SSD and boot from the USB again (ignoring the license key prompts).

Done the exact same thing on my laptop and had no activation issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

What a shower of b*******

Theyre charging you for the labour not the software, the same way a hairdresser charges you to cut yer hair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Theyre charging you for the labour not the software, the same way a hairdresser charges you to cut yer hair

Labour my arse, W10 has to be easiest and quickest Windows install I've ever encountered and I've been installing Windows since 1998 was around. You need almost no technical knowledge to complete the upgrade imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I didnt think there was going to be any more insidre builds. but laptop just updated to 10525 cant see any differance bar it broke chrome

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jhcx wrote: »
    I didnt think there was going to be any more insidre builds. but laptop just updated to 10525 cant see any differance bar it broke chrome

The builds are continuing, as they're going to be adding new stuff to it all the time.

In this build are colours for the title bars of modern apps, and an improved memory manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Only discovered yesterday that microsoft edge is a new browser .- I always used firefox .
    Which is best ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Only discovered yesterday that microsoft edge is a new browser .- I always used firefox .
    Which is best ?

I tried edge for a few days and while its better than I.E. its still a fair bit off challenging chrome and firefox.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Which is best ?

That's a debate for the ages, tbh, and is at the end of the day, a fairly personal choice.

For me, they're doing a lot of good things with Edge, but until it can support add-ons like Adblock, then I'll stick with Firefox. Add-on support should come later this year for Edge.

Shred wrote: »
    Labour my arse, W10 has to be easiest and quickest Windows install I've ever encountered and I've been installing Windows since 1998 was around. You need almost no technical knowledge to complete the upgrade imo.

I agree but not everyone has this kind of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    I agree but not everyone has this kind of confidence.

You're not confident with a few button clicks?

• Advertisement

im very confident, but some people arent't.

Same way im extremely comfortable building a pc, not so much sewing a jumper. Everybody has different skills. things that are easy to one person may be daunting to another

I fail to see the problem here. We pay a mechanic alot of money to change oil and filters. It is extrememly easy to do but theres a security in knowing that a trained person has done it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Sever Tomorrow

Liking the aesthetics of Windows 10, start menu back. Haven't had it long enough to take in all of it.

Disappointed with Chrome, Pale Moon crashing regularly though. Must be a Windows 10 issue? They were stable with 8.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Liking the aesthetics of Windows 10, start menu back. Haven't had it long enough to take in all of it.
    On the contrary I find it very bland aesthetically. Too much of a "mobile OS" feel over it. The layout is too flat in my opinion and not very superuser friendly. Or maybe there is a superuser option that I haven't found yet?

I don't use Windows regularly though, so I shouldn't complain too much as long as the regular users are happy.

sigmundv wrote: »
    On the contrary I find it very bland aesthetically. Too much of a "mobile OS" feel over it. The layout is too flat in my opinion and not very superuser friendly. Or maybe there is a superuser option that I haven't found yet?

I don't use Windows regularly though, so I shouldn't complain too much as long as the regular users are happy.

Right click the start button.

This was introduced in windows 8, but its still something I use all the time. Having the most common admin options right there is such a time saver for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

CatInABox wrote: »

This was introduced in windows 8, but its still something I use all the time. Having the most common admin options right there is such a time saver for me.

That's a great tip, many thanks, its certainly a time saver:D:D It's the little things eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

CatInABox wrote: »

Huh I always pressed Windows + X. Never knew about right clicking the Start.

But old habits die hard so I'll continue my way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I thought I had disabled the Windows 10 download but it's at it again this morning, might as well let it finish and sit there. Kind of annoying as I have slowish broadband.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Something for the "power users" :)

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10
    Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 for Windows 10 has been released. This tweaking software adds several new tweaks for the new operating system. Those of you who have upgraded to Windows 10, would definitely want to use it to judiciously tweak your Windows 10 and personalize your computing experience. With judicious tweaking, it can make your system faster, more stable, personal and more secure with just a few mouse clicks.

While you may be able to access all these via the Windows 10 Settings app, the Registry Editor or the Group Policy Editor, Ultimate Windows Tweaker makes things easier for you by offering all useful tweaks from its single UI.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The "God Mode" folder that works for 7 & 8 also works for 10, and offers even more options than a right click on the start menu button,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65608041

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Sever Tomorrow

Fair play to Microsoft. It was easy and painless to roll back to the more stable 8.1.

Once you do it within 30 days of going to Windows 10 for anyone wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I got a message tonight that windows essentials wanted to update , so I went along and followed the prompts .
    But I thought all updates were supposed to happen all on their own.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

New insider build 10532 is out. The context menu is changing to a more modern UI look.

New insider build 10532 is out. The context menu is changing to a more modern UI look.

This time next year, I'd say most of the legacy features, like the context menu, will be updated to the new UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Disappointed with Chrome, Pale Moon crashing regularly though. Must be a Windows 10 issue? They were stable with 8.1.

Pale moon crashed constantly for me on 8.1. I thunk it must be due to an update as it was sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and touch pad won't work on an Asus laptop about one year old. Googling the problem has left me more confused ! Is there a simple, obvious solution that anyone is aware of? Or should I go back to Windows 8, which I'm not really a fan of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

About 5 Windows updates won't install. Just sit there at 0%. I restarted to try again, but nothing going on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Did the update last night and display is stuck at 1024X768 and it cannot be changed as it cannot find the correct driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Keano wrote: »
    Did the update last night and display is stuck at 1024X768 and it cannot be changed as it cannot find the correct driver!

And this is why driver updates should be optional like 7 and 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

ED E wrote: »
    And this is why driver updates should be optional like 7 and 8.

Definitely.

There is an optional troubleshooter application.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

That allows problem updates to be hidden.

But that's only reducing the problem from recurring until the next update.

There's an entry in Control Panel which you can search for called
    "device installation settings"
    to never install driver software from windows update.
    You have to select No, and then never. The other options reset to the default.

So on machines that we need to be reliable we've to choose never.
    In a sensible design, you should be able to select No, then Ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Squiggle wrote: »
    Upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and touch pad won't work on an Asus laptop about one year old. Googling the problem has left me more confused ! Is there a simple, obvious solution that anyone is aware of? Or should I go back to Windows 8, which I'm not really a fan of.

Does the touchpad not work at all?

I'm messing about with a clean install of Win10 on a spare disk I have before I decide to update my main build. The touch pad wouldn't scroll originally. I had to get the latest updated driver from synaptics and then had to alter settings to turn off 2 finger scroll (not resposive, don't see the benefit of it) and enable the old side/bottom of touchpad scroll.

Advertisement