Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

My search bar on taskbar doesnt work, any ideas on how to sort this out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Whats the easiest way to wipe my laptop so that I'll still have windows 10 on it. Upgraded from 8.1?

Back to College next week and want to delete everything thats not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Whats the easiest way to wipe my laptop so that I'll still have windows 10 on it. Upgraded from 8.1?

Back to College next week and want to delete everything thats not needed.
    Perform a windows system reset and remove windows.old folder.

ressem wrote: »
    Definitely.

There is an optional troubleshooter application.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

That allows problem updates to be hidden.

But that's only reducing the problem from recurring until the next update.
    It seemed to work for me for a short while but it wasn't long before my laptop's video was screwed up again. Another option to try is the PSWindowsUpdate module for PowerShell, there's a Hide-WUUpdate cmdlet in there. It probably just does the same thing.
    ressem wrote: »
    There's an entry in Control Panel which you can search for called
    "device installation settings"
    to never install driver software from windows update.
    You have to select No, and then never. The other options reset to the default.

So on machines that we need to be reliable we've to choose never.
    In a sensible design, you should be able to select No, then Ask.
    This is often peddled online as a solution to the forced driver updates - in fact it just prevents Windows from searching Windows Update for drivers when the device is first detected. The same option is present in Windows 7, possibly Vista too. But it's still worth disabling anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone seen 10 trying to log itself in? As in its locked, screen wakes up, it goes to the "Welcome" spinner for about 4 seconds, then goes back to the regular locked screen. Kind of disconcerting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Karsini wrote: »
    This is often peddled online as a solution to the forced driver updates - in fact it just prevents Windows from searching Windows Update for drivers when the device is first detected. The same option is present in Windows 7, possibly Vista too. But it's still worth disabling anyway.

So the next thing to try would be disabling the Device Setup Manager service maybe?
    (On this machine I've got a HP printer driver update malfunctioning, so it's not behaving like yours; and the external monitor reloads the correct driver after unplugging and replugging the VGA lead).
    Enables the detection, download and installation of device-related software. If this service is disabled, devices may be configured with outdated software, and may not work correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

theteal wrote: »
    Does the touchpad not work at all?

I'm messing about with a clean install of Win10 on a spare disk I have before I decide to update my main build. The touch pad wouldn't scroll originally. I had to get the latest updated driver from synaptics and then had to alter settings to turn off 2 finger scroll (not resposive, don't see the benefit of it) and enable the old side/bottom of touchpad scroll.

Tried a few fixes but problem recurred every time I hibernated the machine and then turned it on again - really got pisséd off with the inconvenience of it all :mad:. Gave up on it and went back to Windows 8 - lesser of two evils.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They're really pushing this upgrade - Windows Update in 8.1 wanting to install it again tonight despite me having already denied/hidden the update previously. It's a Domain joined laptop too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    They're really pushing this upgrade - Windows Update in 8.1 wanting to install it again tonight despite me having already denied/hidden the update previously.

Same here about a week ago, I've decided to leave it sitting on the HD.

A person told me his machine - Win7 - updated while unattended without asking although I'm not sure if he's right.

EDIT: Just checked my update history and showing failed Windows 10 update every day since it downloaded (27/8)

Seven Worlds will Collide

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    They're really pushing this upgrade - Windows Update in 8.1 wanting to install it again tonight despite me having already denied/hidden the update previously. It's a Domain joined laptop too!

Have you tried hiding it using the Hide-WUUpdate cmdlet in PowerShell? Seems to have worked for me.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/2d191bcd-3308-4edd-9de2-88dff796b0bc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

This "GWX Stopper" application will supposedly take any technical aspect of blocking WinX out of the equation. For those who aren't very technical.
    http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭droidman123

can anyone tell me how to "unsync" my android zenfone 2 from my laptop running windows 10? I assume I synced my phone, although I don't remember doing it. I get reminder and alarm notifications popping up on my laptop and I cant for the life of me figure out how to stop these notifications.i think they are interfering with the alarms on my phone as well because all my reminder apps on my phone have stopped going off since these notifications started popping up on my laptop. any help greatly appreciated

degsie wrote: »
    Perform a windows system reset and remove windows.old folder.

Did this and now I'm having problems.

I'm getting the Inaccessible Boot Device error and I'm having a constant restart loop

I have an Asus X501a if that matters.

I downloaded the windows 10 iso and made a bootable USB using Rufus. I then get into the Bios and try boot from the USB but I can't find ay option to? Any ideas please. I'm back to college Monday and really can't afford a new laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Did this and now I'm having problems.

I'm getting the Inaccessible Boot Device error and I'm having a constant restart loop

I have an Asus X501a if that matters.

I downloaded the windows 10 iso and made a bootable USB using Rufus. I then get into the Bios and try boot from the USB but I can't find ay option to? Any ideas please. I'm back to college Monday and really can't afford a new laptop

1) Place a bootable copy of Wndows 10 onto the USB drive in question

2) Access the bios during bootup using F2

3) Enable CSM under the Boot tab and Save

4) Re-boot and re-access the bios again using F2

5) Select the USB option (the one without a prefix of UEFI) as Boot #1 option and Save

6) Re-boot and Windows 10 will commence it's install from the USB drive

degsie wrote: »
    1) Place a bootable copy of Wndows 10 onto the USB drive in question

2) Access the bios during bootup using F2

3) Enable CSM under the Boot tab and Save

4) Re-boot and re-access the bios again using F2

5) Select the USB option (the one without a prefix of UEFI) as Boot #1 option and Save

6) Re-boot and Windows 10 will commence it's install from the USB drive

No joy.

I click on enable CSM and when I reboot it goes back to saying it's disabled..

If you want to enable CSM you generally have to disable Secure Boot first.

If you want to enable CSM you generally have to disable Secure Boot first.

That's the one.

Tis going now. Sound :)

EDIT: Spoke too soon. The blue windows logo comes on but same story again. Inaccessible Boot Device....

Is this when you're booting from USB?

Is this when you're booting from USB?

Yeah. When I take the USB Out it still happens..

Inaccessible Boot Device usually means that there's no driver for the disk controller. Maybe try playing around with the SATA operation mode in the BIOS and see if that helps? Try AHCI if it's not already set to that.

• Advertisement

Inaccessible Boot Device usually means that there's no driver for the disk controller. Maybe try playing around with the SATA operation mode in the BIOS and see if that helps? Try AHCI if it's not already set to that.

Working now. Sound lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

ED E wrote: »
    Anyone seen 10 trying to log itself in? As in its locked, screen wakes up, it goes to the "Welcome" spinner for about 4 seconds, then goes back to the regular locked screen. Kind of disconcerting.

the amount of 'call home' spyware in windows 10 is quite shocking and it's all switched on by default. I suppose that's what you get for a 'free' upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Firefox11 wrote: »
    the amount of 'call home' spyware in windows 10 is quite shocking and it's all switched on by default. I suppose that's what you get for a 'free' upgrade.

As the saying goes, If You're Not Paying for It; You're the Product

Whatever about all the phone-home stuff being in there at all post-RTM, the fact that it's all enabled by default and buried in different sub-menus is the bigger issue.. as well as the point that the same "telemetry" stuff has been pushed to Win 7 and 8 now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Firefox11 wrote: »

Microsoft have been collecting usage data for years. As I've said before, it quite amuses me when you see all the uproar about this, while people are quite happy to share their entire lives on Facebook without a second's thought.

Not saying I condone Microsoft collecting data, by the way. Its one of the reasons why I use Debian these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Anyone wanting to have Peerblock start automatically when Windows 10 boots, this Vista/Windows 7 guide is still valid:

http://www.peerblock.com/userguide/how_to_use/htu-useraccountcontrol

The process involves setting up a Task Scheduler event. Quick and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

not sure if any of ye could help me. but i was messing around with homegroups one day in order to get a wireless printer to work. but i must of hit something in user profiles and now everytime i start up the computer it shows two profiles and chooses to log into the wrong account saying the user name is invalid. both profiles are the same person ie me. one looks like a local account or something so you have
    JHCX
    email@email.com
    &
    JHCX

How do i remove this second profile thats not attached to my email address. i cant find it anywhere because it really doesnt exist as its the same user as the first one and in my settings all there is is admin and myself the user(admin)

any help appreciated as its slowing down my start up time when it fails to log in

Was setting up a WSUS group policy on a server in work when I noticed a new entry to block Windows 10 installs. It's under "Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update"

362321.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It may be that windows update tried to forcibly update a driver. Are you using an nVidia GPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

A further interesting bit of behaviour observed today regarding automatic updates and the "my computer's running slow" users. Windows updated graphics drivers today: all well and good, right? But, being a clever system, it uninstalled the previous driver, going back to the Windows generic one, which bumped back the resolution to the minimum and didn't understand the monitor could support higher resolutions. So you come back to the pc, the screen it's different, and you can't fix it.

This is the same thing I noticed and could not figure out how to fix it back to the optimal resolution for my monitor. I tried contacting Microsoft Support for help but might as well have asked the local postman! Has anyone figured out how to resolve this (I tried reinstalling the monitor driver but this didn't seem to make any difference).
    I reverted back the upgrade for now and won't be reattempting it unless I can find a way around this. If it helps, my question to Microsoft (on which I got no reply from Microsoft) is below.

Monitor: Dell SP2390W monitor
    Device manager shows this correctly as the monitor.
    However the display adapter shown is Microsoft Basic Display Adapter although my graphics card is an AMD ATI Fire card.
    When I try to change the screen resolution the largest resolution available is 1256 * 1024, however the monitor optimum resolution is 2048 * 1152.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I was missing Windows Media Center this evening. I found the following:

Free.

If you need a straightforward PVR in Windows 10, try Sichbo PVR (http://sichbopvr.com/).

I downloaded my driver for a Hauppauge! Nova-T stick, installed Sichbo PVR and after ticking 3 or 4 boxes relating to my location within Ireland, I had Saorview after a 5 minute scan..

Stick is plugged into a USB port on an Asus X205TA Netbook (Quad Atom Z3735F) and it is running fine. Windows 10 Home 32bit.

Sichborte.jpg

Advertisement