Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Black Swan wrote: »
    Currently running Skyrim on Windows 8.1 and it's grand. For those of you that have upgraded to Windows 10, will there be any compatibility problems going from 8.1 to 10 for Skyrim? If so, know of any fixes using Steam?

I've played Skyrim on Windows 10 and had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Yep, plays fine. Currently playing through legendary edition again with a good few mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

In the last few days I've been experiencing problems resulting in a shutdown on each occasion, "Kernel Security".

Have read it may be driver issues ........ anyone else get this since moving from 7/8 to 10 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In the last few days I've been experiencing problems resulting in a shutdown on each occasion, "Kernel Security".

Have read it may be driver issues ........ anyone else get this since moving from 7/8 to 10 ?

If you upgraded it might be worth a clean install. Even though they've made it a lot better/easier this time around there can still be some issues (had some myself initially)

Clean install is always best when changing OS

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

+1

The upgrade progress f'cked drive enumeration on a family members PC, really wish it was clean install only but no way anyone would upgrade that being the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I upgraded to 10 a few hours ago. So far so good, with only one small annoying problem.

When I go fullscreen in firefox I get a small border of the background around the sides and bottom, but not the top.
    It doesn't happen in IE so I am guessing it's more of a firefox problem.
    Asking them about it seems to be a task in itself though. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

OK folks, I need help and you will also be saving my sanity and possible mass destruction of my new laptop!

How do you switch off pinch and zoom on the mousepad, permanently? I've switched it of numerous times only for it to be reactivated upon restarting the laptop. It is wrecking my head :mad:

mayo.mick wrote: »
    OK folks, I need help and you will also be saving my sanity and possible mass destruction of my new laptop!

How do you switch off pinch and zoom on the mousepad, permanently? I've switched it of numerous times only for it to be reactivated upon restarting the laptop. It is wrecking my head :mad:

Depends on the laptop.. DELL for example have a touchpad utility that controls this, but there should be something similar for yours

The problem I've found is thanks to the way 10 updates drivers on its own now, it'll reset the settings after an update :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I tried upgrading from 7 to 10, laptop now wont start any Windows tried restore recovery and nothing, any help please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

I have upgraded from 8 to 10 a few weeks now and am having serious delays and lag when using windows explorer.
    When I right click to try create a new folder, or even press "new folder" icon along the top ribbon it lags for up to 5 minutes before it appears.....absolutely driving me crackers!!
    Is anyone else having these problems?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I tried upgrading from 7 to 10, laptop now wont start any Windows tried restore recovery and nothing, any help please

Does The PC do anything?

Did you do an upgrade or a clean install?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I'm about to upgrade a laptop from vista to 10. Many of ye done this? I still have my beta key and I'm hoping the laptop will update to the latest copy of the insider.

Jhcx wrote: »
    I'm about to upgrade a laptop from vista to 10. Many of ye done this? I still have my beta key and I'm hoping the laptop will update to the latest copy of the insider.

Vista isn't a supported upgrade path so while it'll probably install, I'd be surprised if it'll activate the beta key at this stage. I highly doubt it'd upgrade to a post-RTM build as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Does The PC do anything?

Did you do an upgrade or a clean install?

Upgrade from icon in desktop corner bottom bar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Vista isn't a supported upgrade path so while it'll probably install, I'd be surprised if it'll activate the beta key at this stage. I highly doubt it'd upgrade to a post-RTM build as a result

Ive come across a small hack but the effort is a long roundabout way. if i had my own old laptop id certainly play with it and see how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

TH2 is currently available via windows update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Anyone know how to create shortcut of windows defender on W10 .............I have it pinned to taskbar but can't seem to find how to keep it on desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I really do need help here with this, its doing my nut in. I thought I'd it cracked but low and behold, another update this evening and it has reset the "pinch and zoom" yet again.

Anyone know how to stop the pinch and zoom feature permanently?

I really do need help here with this, its doing my nut in. I thought I'd it cracked but low and behold, another update this evening and it has reset the "pinch and zoom" yet again.

You'll probably have to roll back the touchpad driver and use wushowhide.diagcab to hide Windows 10's driver. I still don't know how long it lasts though, as I'm still not keen on using 10 because of the forced driver updates.

Seeing some nice changes with the TH2 update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

What model laptop do you have? I'd start by checking the manufacturers website to see if they have a specific driver for the touchpad. As has already been stated, this is the case with Dell laptops and may be the case with yours.
    If there is no specific driver, then you will most likely need to start looking into why the settings are not holding permanently as they really should be. I don't have a windows 10 laptop to test but I guarantee they shouldn't be resetting.

e.g. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-desktop/disable-pinch-zoom-permanently/4862a0ba-c63b-42fe-b7b7-ef9ab19de424

degsie wrote: »

I see it's being treated as a whole new upgrade, it downloads the files the same way as on 7 or 8.1 and then goes through the upgrade process again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Windows 8 is the reason why there's starving kids around the world.

Windows 8 is the reason why there's starving kids around the world.
    Believe me, I much prefer 8.1 over 10! I probably won't ever adopt 10 for my own use.

Karsini wrote: »
    I see it's being treated as a whole new upgrade, it downloads the files the same way as on 7 or 8.1 and then goes through the upgrade process again.

Indeed, might come as a surprise to some....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

degsie wrote: »

I have two laptops running w10 one updated to to this new version and in true ms fashion the other laptop failed... I can't see any obvious changes tbh. I preferred 8.1 on the laptop that had it previously it seemed faster and battery life was much better.

I'd say it's too early for anyone to have seen this issue but it appears that the new install media with TH2 integrated doesn't work properly in audit mode. After a reboot it give the "setup could not complete the installation" error in a loop. Tried it on two separate systems.

Hmm, tried it on my Hyper-V server at home. Worked fine. Always seems to happen when you have a deadline looming! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Karsini wrote: »
    I'd say it's too early for anyone to have seen this issue but it appears that the new install media with TH2 integrated doesn't work properly in audit mode. After a reboot it give the "setup could not complete the installation" error in a loop. Tried it on two separate systems.

http://www.bidnessetc.com/windows-10-th2-november-update-not-showingfailing-installation-heres-the-fi/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

gucci wrote: »
    I have upgraded from 8 to 10 a few weeks now and am having serious delays and lag when using windows explorer.
    When I right click to try create a new folder, or even press "new folder" icon along the top ribbon it lags for up to 5 minutes before it appears.....absolutely driving me crackers!!
    Is anyone else having these problems?

Apologies for the repost - but can anyone help me out here? Has anyone any experience of it?
    I'd rather not try and do a clean install of Windows 10, not sure if I am confident enough!!

Advertisement