Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

obezyana wrote: »
    That key didnt work as its already the one that was there when i updated to the latest build.

Are you sure they're not asking you to "verify" your Microsoft account?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They've now stopped all activations with pre-release keys. From now on, you need a genuine key to activate Windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Meh!

I'll have me some OS 10.11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Yeah im sure. Its asking me to activate Windows. I havent bothered too much looking for a solution as iv been busy. Ah im sure there is a fix i just need to look into it a bit more.

Well that's odd because I installed RTM and haven't been asked for a key yet. Mind you, I've still got fast ring activated and was linked to my msa before this, so we'll see how it goes. At this point I'm just interested to see how it all pans out after launch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Well that's odd because I installed RTM and haven't been asked for a key yet. Mind you, I've still got fast ring activated and was linked to my msa before this, so we'll see how it goes. At this point I'm just interested to see how it all pans out after launch.

When i first installed 10 it was a clean install maybe it something to do with that. Iv been on fast ring since the first install and the last two installs have asked for a product key.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Meh!

I'll have me some OS 10.11

Wouldnt touch it with a barge pole!:cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmm, hadn't booted my test laptop in a couple of weeks and I seem to be stuck on 10130 - I switched to Fast Ring as soon as the option became available and that hasn't changed, but no new builds are showing.

From what I've read, it's looking like getting up to 10240 is now conditional on being logged in with a Microsoft account, which I'm not entirely keen on. (I understand what they're going for, but I don't personally want to do it and had been quite happy that they were letting me stick with a local account if I wanted to...)

Any suggestions, other than "set up a disposable Microsoft account"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I have the Windows 10 Insider Preview installed on a VM using Hyper-V and I've been using my microsoft account to log in with. The world has not ended yet.

There should be an option available under your account to log in using a local account instead Fysh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Lemming wrote: »
    I have the Windows 10 Insider Preview installed on a VM using Hyper-V and I've been using my microsoft account to log in with. The world has not ended yet.

There should be an option available under your account to log in using a local account instead Fysh.

I've been using a local account so far and it's seemed fine, I just wondered from the phrasing of the blog post announcing availability of 10240 whether using a Microsoft account had become required to get the new builds.

I've created a disposable MS account and used that on my test build, but it's still not detecting any new builds :( Still no ISOs available for 10240 that I can find either, so I'm stuck for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fysh wrote: »
    Still no ISOs available for 10240 that I can find either, so I'm stuck for the moment.

Plenty of those about, I downloaded both (x86 and x64) a few days ago*. Didn't bookmark the links though :o

But it was only a quick google that threw them up...

*installed the x86 on an old laptop using the widely quoted key and using a spare MSA. Did not activate but did not have an expiry date either. Also no watermark on desktop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

RTM working fine on laptop. Had to use generic mouse driver to get mouse to work.

Had to change language and region to UK to get Cortana to work (haven't used it yet).

It's a straight update from 8.1 so no problem with key etc.

Also installed free online versions of word mobile, excel mobile and PowerPoint mobile from the store. They will be good enough for most users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Where would I get an ISO of 8.1?

I have a genuine license of Win 8 that I downloaded when it came out. The thing is I done a clean install of Win 10. Now I can't activate it. I think I need to go back to 8, then upgrade to 10. Or does anyone know an other way to activate my 10?

Thanks

Where would I get an ISO of 8.1?

I have a genuine license of Win 8 that I downloaded when it came out. The thing is I done a clean install of Win 10. Now I can't activate it. I think I need to go back to 8, then upgrade to 10. Or does anyone know an other way to activate my 10?

Thanks

Is this the RTM version of Windows 10?

I'm really curious to see if this will work but I don't know. It does work with clean Windows 8.1 installs but I don't know about 10.

Try downloading get_win8key.exe from here and run it from a command prompt. That will dump the Windows 8 key from your BIOS, try activating with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Karsini wrote: »
    Is this the RTM version of Windows 10?

I'm really curious to see if this will work but I don't know. It does work with clean Windows 8.1 installs but I don't know about 10.

Try downloading get_win8key.exe from here and run it from a command prompt. That will dump the Windows 8 key from your BIOS, try activating with that.

It is not a RTM. It was a Microsoft deal when 8 came out. It was a Download. I have the key that I got when I bought it. Tried using the Key in 10. But that does not work which I assumed.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, I hear what you're saying on the limited connections front, but you'd be surprised at how fast people can change their habits when it starts hitting them where it hurts, their pocket.

Not saying this is ideal by a long shot, but I'd say it'll benefit the 95% more than it'll harm the 5%, if you get me.

Yeah, the download speeds can be a bit tedious, particularly when I'm working on someone else's computer. I always try to bring it back to mine to fix them up now, some people think a 1Mb connection is broadband.

A further interesting bit of behaviour observed today regarding automatic updates and the "my computer's running slow" users. Windows updated graphics drivers today: all well and good, right? But, being a clever system, it uninstalled the previous driver, going back to the Windows generic one, which bumped back the resolution to the minimum and didn't understand the monitor could support higher resolutions. So you come back to the pc, the screen it's different, and you can't fix it. And, there's no notification in the fancy schmansy new notifications bar that a) updates were available, or b) that an update was installed *until after you restart the pc*.

So here's the line of thinking that must have gone on:
    "Hey let's auto update everything and solve this unpatched bot army problem!"
    "Sweet, what should we auto update?"
    "Everything!"
    "Cool, when should we roll out changes?"
    "In the middle of a user session!"
    "Wow, amazing! Do we have a robust, user/system sandbox which allows partial in-memory changes like that?"
    "**** no!"
    "So what happens if something like a storage or network driver gets updated in the middle of a user session?"
    "Potentially really really bad ****!"
    "Hit that publish button, Billy Bob!"

Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It f'cks with drivers without user input? What.

There's no huge security risk in drivers in day to day usage, why oh why would they try that. Starting to understand why OEMs have put in winupdate killing tools, saving themselves the headaches.

ED E wrote: »
    It f'cks with drivers without user input? What.

There's no huge security risk in drivers in day to day usage, why oh why would they try that. Starting to understand why OEMs have put in winupdate killing tools, saving themselves the headaches.
    Exactly, I'm very much an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" person when it comes to drivers so this doesn't sit well with me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It gives me a notification when there's updates available.

Also, it's the first set of graphics drivers for Windows 10, which may have broken the upgrade track. It's very rare that it'd fail half way though, Windows Update has been updating my graphics card drivers(and millions of others) for years, without widespread problems. Same with all other device drivers.

Again, I'd still maintain, even with the knowledge that some updates will cause problems on a small number of PCs, that auto-updates are far more beneficial to the average user than they are a negative.

You're right about Windows update working reasonably with auto updates, however previous versions always notified the user that updates were being installed. And previous driver updates were graceful in that it wouldn't stop you back unprompted to the default driver (assuming there is one, and if there isn't then it's an even scarier proposition), but this didn't.

10 runs in stealth mode unless you set it up otherwise. I had no idea updates were installing until after the restart.

So previously, our "granny user" would have phoned up and said "my screen's all weird" but would at least have been aware that there was some annoying pop-up message she had to get irate about and ignore. Now there isn't.

And I've always had to go into settings> updates to see whether updates were pending, assuming 10 had even realised there were updates... Usually, it claims I'm up to date, but if I rerun a manual check a minute after that, suddenly it finds them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Windows Update has been updating my graphics card drivers(and millions of others) for years, without widespread problems. Same with all other device drivers.

This is not that. In 7 & 8 drivers are under "other updates" that must be manually checked, unless the device is brand new. 10 is just rolling ahead according to the above.

ED E wrote: »
    This is not that. In 7 & 8 drivers are under "other updates" that must be manually checked, unless the device is brand new. 10 is just rolling ahead according to the above.

Yeah, that's a change alright. Still though, the odd problem that crops up doesn't take away from the fact that the vast majority of people will benefit from this change.

I can totally see why some people don't like it, but it really isn't the end of the world. People can either stay on XP/7, or they can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

Yeah, that's a change alright. Still though, the odd problem that crops up doesn't take away from the fact that the vast majority of people will benefit from this change.

I can totally see why some people don't like it, but it really isn't the end of the world. People can either stay on XP/7, or they can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

When new hardware is released that Windows doesn't understand, then driver updates won't have a "generic" driver to fall back on. If it makes a balls of something as fundamental and well established as graphics, what will it do then?

Once again, the problem isn't even so much the "something has changed" concept, it's the clear lack of basic cause-and-effect thinking that Microsoft is having problems with.

Touchscreen interfaces? Good!
    Badly planned touchscreen interfaces with no discoverability? Bad!
    Automatic updating to prevent security holes? Good!
    Silent updating of hardware drivers with no changes to i/o handling? Bad!
    Creating a new, platform independent, consistent ui experience based on modern, extensible code? Good!
    Doing it by holding white signs in front of the existing interface and making the user take more steps to do basic things? Bad!

And your point about win 7 users not having to change is totally on point, but the problem is that those users aren't going to be harmed by 10 in the same way that xp users weren't harmed by Vista: they'll change nothing and be happy. It's Microsoft that will be harmed by win 10 failing...

I've been using a local account so far and it's seemed fine, I just wondered from the phrasing of the blog post announcing availability of 10240 whether using a Microsoft account had become required to get the new builds.

I've created a disposable MS account and used that on my test build, but it's still not detecting any new builds :( Still no ISOs available for 10240 that I can find either, so I'm stuck for the moment.

I have no idea what's changed, but after trying everything I could think of yesterday (removing the patch that was supposed to fix issues with upgrading from 10130, a full OS reset, all the usual tricks for forcibly resetting Windows Updates when something goes pear-shaped) to no avail, I left it alone for a while, booted into it today and it's found all the updates including the update to TH1 Professional 10240.

(The only thing I changed was to uncheck the option for delivering updates to other Microsoft products at the same time, but I'd be a bit surprised if that was the root cause...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I believe that's it's only windows 10 enterprise that allows the user to permanently block a trouble-causing update.
    Windows 10 Pro allows delaying for 3 months, which isn't always enough to get a stable driver for video, audio and printers.

I've had a win8 laptop running in debug mode for 2 years now due to problems with RTM AMD dynamic switchable graphics drivers. (Running one particular set of unsigned development drivers that work)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭irishgeo

switched to microsoft acc , now i cant map to my readynasv2 , i get an error saying "a specified logon session doesnt exist" I tried adding 3 nas accounts into credentials manager with with no joy. any ideas anyone?

irishgeo wrote: »
    switched to microsoft acc , now i cant map to my readynasv2 , i get an error saying "a specified logon session doesnt exist" I tried adding 3 nas accounts into credentials manager with with no joy. any ideas anyone?

Have no idea why it wouldn't work with a MSA, very weird, but from reading online, you're not the only one.

Try this:
    click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
    Under Computer Configuration, expand Windows Settings, expand Security Settings, expand Local Policies, and then expand Security Options.
    In the Policy pane, right-click Network access: Do not allow storage of credentials or .NET Passports for network authentication, click Properties, click Disabled, and then click OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Have no idea why it wouldn't work with a MSA, very weird, but from reading online, you're not the only one.

Try this:

dont have that option.

So build 10240 installed on Monday for me, but as of yesterday my internal wireless card won't work - seems to be a driver issue as I just can't get the actual wireless connection to turn on. A USB wireless dongle works fine. I'm going to try a reset and see what happens, but if this is the result of the "silent driver updates" thing then I'm unimpressed...

(It's an Intel 5300 AGN, on the off chance anyone has a fix)

• Advertisement

So build 10240 installed on Monday for me, but as of yesterday my internal wireless card won't work - seems to be a driver issue as I just can't get the actual wireless connection to turn on. A USB wireless dongle works fine. I'm going to try a reset and see what happens, but if this is the result of the "silent driver updates" thing then I'm unimpressed...

(It's an Intel 5300 AGN, on the off chance anyone has a fix)

You could re-download the driver from Intel?

Advertisement