Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ConM96

Just got an email there for on Harvey Norman offering a deal. They are offering to install windows 10 in any windows 8.1 laptop you buy with them for "only" €39. Hopefully no one falls for this and pays for the free upgrade .

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Are people in Ireland able to update already? I thought it wasn't available here until tonight/tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

ConM96 wrote: »
    Just got an email there for on Harvey Norman offering a deal. They are offering to install windows 10 in any windows 8.1 laptop you buy with them for "only" €39. Hopefully no one falls for this and pays for the free upgrade .
    What a shower of b*******

• Registered Users Posts: 46 work2013

i still can't get mine to download windows 10... just says its reserved... tried almost everything including deleting the download folder and running the cmd update command

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

work2013 wrote: »
    i still can't get mine to download windows 10... just says its reserved... tried almost everything including deleting the download folder and running the cmd update command

Exact same issue for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I was thinking of upgrading to win 8.1 pro pack would this mean I would get windows 10 pro when I do upgrade to windows 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I'm getting a report along the lines ....*We were unable to update the system reserved partition*???
    Possibly related to the fact that I replaced the HDD with an SSD some months back?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

work2013 wrote: »
    Exact same issue for me :(
    Go here
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the relevant tool to install it for you and select upgrade this PC when prompted. Should work for you. It's installing for me that way. Wasn't getting the prompt earlier. It's already finished 'Copying files' and has now rebooted itself a couple of times and is 'Installing features and drivers' for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Brian017

What a shower of b*******

I got the email too and contacted them about it and they said "The upgrade is free and this service is for costumers who would rather us to do it for them"

More likely "We hope to take advantage of the less savvy who don't realise its a free and easy to do update"

Go here
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the relevant tool to install it for you and select upgrade this PC when prompted. Should work for you. It's installing for me that way. Wasn't getting the prompt earlier. It's already finished 'Copying files' and has now rebooted itself a couple of times and is 'Installing features and drivers' for me now.

Tried that also but only got the "Something happened" message..

I'm currently trying to install every recommended and optional update just in case I need any of those ... will see how it goes after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I'm getting that as well :(

Same. The most useless error message ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

My Offaly accent and Cortana don't seem to work to well together.

demakinz wrote: »
    My Offaly accent and Cortana don't seem to work to well together.

Similar to everyday life so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55,482 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

After you run the update command from the command prompt, you can click the windows icon in the system tray to let you know if the download is complete. If it is, there will be a link/button to start it off.

If you get "Something happened", make sure you have all pending updates installed for your current version of windows (it won't install W10 if there are any)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Liamario wrote: »
    Similar to everyday life so :P

Yeah Microsoft got that spot on.

Mr E wrote: »
    After you run the update command from the command prompt, you can click the windows icon in the system tray to let you know if the download is complete. If it is, there will be a link/button to start it off.

If you get "Something happened", make sure you have all pending updates installed for your current version of windows (it won't install W10 if there are any)

I'm not following.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Going for my third or fourth go at this. Keeps failing with C1900106 which looks like it's software related. Annoying that it said there was no issue on the checker. Moro begin the tedious task of decrypting the drive and remove the software which I assume is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Liamario wrote: »
    I'm not following.

Basically the option to upgrade to windows 10 didn't actually appear until I had the recommended and the optional updates downloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Basically the option to upgrade to windows 10 didn't actually appear until I had the recommended and the optional updates downloaded.

I'm trying to update them all but I keep getting a 643 error message on this one "important" update file that I can't seem to shake. Tried restarting, clean booting which is what microsoft recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is there anyway to remove OneDrive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm trying to update them all but I keep getting a 643 error message on this one "important" update file that I can't seem to shake. Tried restarting, clean booting which is what microsoft recommend

Youll need to track down whats not updating.

Ive one machine thats got a corrupt .NET install thats sticking an update, spent ages already debugging it.

EoghanIRL wrote: »

I see. Everything is completely downloaded and up to date except an intel display driver, where the error message tells me the best driver has already been installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

I reserved it not too long ago but I didn't get any notification, so I tried manually installing this. Been stuck with this for ages now: http://puu.sh/jhwSG/81915fa806.png

Any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Grey Wind wrote:
    I reserved it not too long ago but I didn't get any notification, so I tried manually installing this. Been stuck with this for ages now: http://puu.sh/jhwSG/81915fa806.png[/URL]

What happens if you click Next?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Guys,

What's the issue with Activation, I've upgraded straight from Windows 8.1, keep getting Activation errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭ablelocks

on an older desktop, if i do a clean install, will drivers automatically be installed or will i have to find and download them manually? I've upgraded the pc a number of times over the years and I think a clean install would be better than another upgrade now.

mine is now failing with a check your pc message , clicking the button does nothing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Anybody know if you can choose OS language in Windows 10? One of my laptops has a Spanish version of Win 7 and I would rather Win 10 to be in English.

• Advertisement

On the issue of installing these recommended and optional updates, won't these all be deleted on upgrade to windows 10 ?
    It's almost like they want to force people to turn on windows updates to get the upgrade.

Advertisement