Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Fattes wrote: »
    And so it starts, snow glorious snow

Im going to have to ask for you to be banned...

You're bullying & taunting other forum users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Cody Townsend just generally being himself!!

http://youtu.be/6HeGQvjYbfY

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Sad news about Andres Fransson and J.P Auclair tonight. JP is one of the godfathers of freestyle skiing, an original member of the new Canadian airforce and one of the inventors of twin tip skis.

This for me is his finest moment

http://youtu.be/1-VCWUtNm-4

god thats great

The office is terrible today

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Any sign of snow yet?

• Advertisement

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Any sign of snow yet?

Forecast says we are in for some this weekend! But no idea, fingers crossed we have good conditions up top but we would love some more to start the season properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Might have a few inches of snow in W/NW this weekend in eire! :D

Maybe you should come back for a few days Fattes haha

It's ok, we have a fair amount on the way here in the next few days and a forecast for a big storm towards the end of next week. Our local Avi rescue guys were out training this am with their Dogs! It really interesting to watch

what kind of training are you guys doing before heading off?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

hi,

I always do 50 squats per day for 2 weeks before heading to snow, legs normally good after that but need more work on core ie lower abs and obliques, so will do some lower abs by rolling on with shins on a exercise ball in press up position. Rolling legs side to side while lying on back knees and hips at 90 degrees.

cycling and run for cardio

Getting close now with most resorts opening in week or so, hope snow arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Stretches targeting the core and glutes 5 mornings and 3 evenings and about 350 squats everyday. Was doing weights out of season to work the core and legs but stopped that a few weeks ago to focus on stretching. Essentially it would be pilates exercises to help with flexibility and some strengthening of the knees. Walk a few km in work and climb a few hundred meters of stairs through out the day. Simple stuff without the need to kill yourself in the gym.

I would keep that up for most of the year but 1 week in the snow doesn't cut it for me.

Agree with AlternateID with regard to stretching very important, you will get the most benefit if going soon from stretching, especially to reduce injury risk.

respect for 350 squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I've been going to the gym most of the year, I just kept it up after last season. All of the work I do is on my legs and core. I do nordic ski, rowboat thingy, planks, leg presses, box jumps and lunges (with weights). It makes such a difference on the slopes it's incredible, all the extra strngth and stamina in the legs is great for control, especially off piste if the snow is a bit icy. I did pilates last year too but there just aren't enough hours in the week to do that, and make a couple of trips to the gym, as well as working a fulltime job, I'd never see the kids and wife!

Finally snow, and more snow from 3,200 down to 1,300 and nothing but snow forecast until wed night. We know have a little more than a 1,000 meters vertical open another 1,000 still needs more snow

We had all the Swiss regional demo teams training in resort today, Snowboard and ski pretty impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

kal7 wrote: »
    Agree with AlternateID with regard to stretching very important, you will get the most benefit if going soon from stretching, especially to reduce injury risk.

respect for 350 squats.

I assume we are all talking weightless squats :)

lbj666 wrote: »
    I assume we are all talking weightless squats :)

God yea. Weights to build up muscle off season but stopped that as it's nearly time to go. Now it various stretches and simple squats. Lean against a wall or door frame and slowly drop to a right angle. Go back up but not all the way. Stiff legs will cut short a day on the mountain. I don't do rest days. That's what work so for between trips.

Lots of weight! Plenty of plyometric training and a little bit of cardio

Oskar Enander, one of our locals picking up his powder award for his photos from the light suit segment shoot. Winning him photo of the year

God yea. Weights to build up muscle off season but stopped that as it's nearly time to go. Now it various stretches and simple squats. Lean against a wall or door frame and slowly drop to a right angle. Go back up but not all the way. Stiff legs will cut short a day on the mountain. I don't do rest days. That's what work so for between trips.

What kind of stretches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

sheesh wrote: »
    What kind of stretches

Any kind of leg stretches will help.

Do a squat, feel which muscles you used, they're the ones you should stretch.

Foam rolling also hugely helpful for me year round.

• Advertisement

Finally it's snowing properly and hard right down to the village!!!

sheesh wrote: »
    What kind of stretches

As CardinalJ says any kind of leg stretch will help but you should get advice from someone trained. I met with a physio in work a few weeks back but I'm no 20 year old any more.
    Finally it's snowing properly and hard right down to the village!!!

My jealousy is not abating Fattes. The battery takes a hammering every day checking the webcams.

Just on the way up in the Gondola but woke up to this! Finally, it appears the famine is over. These photos were at 1,000 meters so hopefully up too got even more.

If it makes you feel better, I am training and on race skis today

It doesn't. :( I'll mostly be sitting in a chair today.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Just on the way up in the Gondola but woke up to this! Finally, it appears the famine is over. These photos were at 1,000 meters so hopefully up too got even more.

I think I speak for quite a few on here when I say...

Feck off Fattes! No fair :-)

A previous poster recommended a ban for ye, not a bad idea!!!

Seriously though, must be quite a relief all round that snow is starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

It doesn't. :( I'll mostly be sitting in a chair today.

I plan some chair sitting followed by some looking out at the rain. and the wind, i can actually see the wind today.

It will be worth the ban!! All of this on World cup slalom skis

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

It will be worth the ban!! All of this on World cup slalom skis

ah jaysus wept!!

speaking of seeing the wind today, have you all seen this before?
    https://www.windyty.com/

Fattes now you have gone too far. great pic.

I am already watching webcams in Flaine everyday (even every couple hours with snow around, not even going until february.

Re: stretches would advise inside thigh, gluts, hamstrings, quads and calf upper and lower. Spinal twist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Tignes got a bit last night too.. Webcams were looking very green up til yesterday.. People out on the slopes today so good stuff..

Advertisement