Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Options
  • 30-09-2014 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭

So a general thread, for the upcoming season, topics include, I am excited about my trip, look what I bought, Look what I did, what is the weather like in etc.

Pretty much anything goes!

I am on countdown now, 4 days in Snowworld Landgraff this week and then less than 7 weeks until I am back in the alps for the Season :cool::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Fattes wrote: »
    I am on countdown now, 4 days in Snowworld Landgraff this week and then less than 7 weeks until I am back in the alps for the Season :cool::D

Ah nice, did a trip there nearly two years ago. Stayed in Aachen just inside the German border, I'd recommend it, nice pubs, food and scenery. Wasn't a fan of Maastricht. Snowworld is pretty good, I presume you've been there before? Only problem I found is the concrete was starting to show towards the end of the day as you get to the bottom of the main slope. Well worth a trip though!

Booked a sneaky 'Xmas shopping' trip in early Dec near Trafford Centre so planning a day in Chill Factore. Any been? Mixed reviews on FB and Snowheads....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

stevire wrote: »
    Booked a sneaky 'Xmas shopping' trip in early Dec near Trafford Centre so planning a day in Chill Factore. Any been? Mixed reviews on FB and Snowheads....

Have probably spend about a month a year in Snowworld over the last 3 years. Chill Factore is ok, go early in the morning because, as the day goes on the conditions will deteriorate, make sure you are not there on an avalanche weekend. Its basically indoor zorbing and takes up half the slope space, Pre book tickets and collect to avoid the Q. There is a Nandos, weahterspoons and chillies on site.

Also the Tratford centre gets mad busy in December especially at weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Can't see beyond a return to Les Deux Alpes and the UCPA centre, close to Grenoble, high altitude and the right mix of slopes that I enjoy :)

I've put forward the idea of a ski trip to An Óige, as the UCPA and themselves are very close in ethos being both youth-orientated outdoor organisations, will see if it gets off the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

For me its looking life a week from Dec 15 in La plagne or Val D. Second week in San anton last week of Jan and *maybe* a week in march... Jaysus im getting excited all over again :-)

• Advertisement

Sad news about Andres Fransson and J.P Auclair tonight. JP is one of the godfathers of freestyle skiing, an original member of the new Canadian airforce and one of the inventors of twin tip skis.

This for me is his finest moment

http://youtu.be/1-VCWUtNm-4

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Sad news about Andres Fransson and J.P Auclair tonight. JP is one of the godfathers of freestyle skiing, an original member of the new Canadian airforce and one of the inventors of twin tip skis.

http://youtu.be/1-VCWUtNm-4

yea just read that.

I'm almost ready.

snowpass_zps7a6582c5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

one of the cleverest ski vids I ever saw

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

This for me is his finest moment ]

one of the cleverest ski vids I ever saw

• Advertisement

That's heartbreaking news about Andres Fransson and J.P Auclair, must watch All.I.Can again. He deserves a film in his honour like McConkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Heading to Hinterglemm (Saalbach) for the last week in January, cant wait! Doing it DIY, Heading out on the 24th and coming back the 1st of Feb so getting a full 7 days skiing. I was in Leogang before a couple of times nearly 10 years ago and have fond memories of it so looking forward to going back.

Bit raging with the flights, only booked them last week and got an email of Aer Lingus with a sale today, price has dropped €35 per person ... but what can you do.

Still need to sort out transfers from Munich airport, I've checked a couple of places and it is working out about €125 per person. Anyone have any recommendations? Or know how much driving down a rented car would cost (fuel, tolls etc)

Most people on the trip will not have been skiing before so will be going to ski school over there, but do you think it is worth them doing a couple of lessons on the dry slope in Dublin?

Anyone have any recommendations or tips for Saalbach/Hinterglemm in general (Food, Ski rental, Ski schools etc)

Personally I'd avoid the dry slope. One fall could put them off for life. Besides ski school is as much part of the trip as the beers in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Personally I'd avoid the dry slope. One fall could put them off for life. Besides ski school is as much part of the trip as the beers in the evening.

yeah, that was why I had reservations ok. I dont think they would be not going to ski school over there but it would be more to get the absolute basics out of the way. But I think you could be right

yeah, that was why I had reservations ok. I dont think they would be not going to ski school over there but it would be more to get the absolute basics out of the way. But I think you could be right

I am teaching the one day at Kilternan, Ski Club of Ireland on the 11th of October, the new snoflex is much more forgiving and less intimidating than dendix.

If there is a few of them booking a one day may not be the worst idea so they can hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

i would second the dry slope ,
    we all went there before our first trip and it got us used to the boots , walking in skis etc
    also good craic having us altogether before the trip.
    we werent on the main slope , just a small section which is all like a felt material so wouldnt hurt if you fell.

going a few years now and we still do a couple of sessions on the dry slope before heading off :)

have one ski holiday booked for feb half term with the kids :)
    back to Zakopane in Poland , working out around £1100 all in for 2 adults and 2 kids! beat that :)
    flights , hotel , transfers , ski hire , lift passes.
    cant wait to do this run with my youngest daughter again , she ripped it and shes only 10! i had a panic attack on the 2nd tight turn lol but she got me down!
    Beautiful place :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DriACpZnoq4&list=WL&index=5watch?v=DriACpZnoq4&list=WL&index=5

Anyone been ski/boarding in Iceland? New flight route starting in June from Dublin to Reykjavik which will hopefully run through the winter :D

Tempted to book a flight this year over Easter going from Belfast, rent a car, see the sights and rent the gear (or bring it if it's cheaper). Feb - early April is best time to go for conditions according to this site:
    The season runs from November through April, though conditions are most reliable from February to early April. Because of limited winter daylight, the major slopes are lighted and have extended evening hours.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/iceland/254352

Call it a long-term goal but I'd love to go ski-touring in Iceland, still some way off but you've got to dream. I want to do a season first somewhere... which won't be this season anyway.

and just booked another Ski trip to Italy :)
    this time just me and the girlfriend / no kids!

Paganella/Andalo

thanks to Fattes for the recommendation , it sounds beautiful.

hows that for addicted ;)
    now we just need to pay for it all!
    off the drink for the foreseeable future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

To do another season or back to a proper job??

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Opening day in Sunshine Village is November 14. Saw some cars in Calgary this morning with snow on them, and I believe there's been some falling up on the mountains. We're just waiting for the cold to hit here then we'll be in full countdown mode! It was -1.5 degrees this morning though, so won't be long before there's fluffy stuff falling. I'll be winterising the car this weekend, then it'll be a waiting game until I put the winter wheels on with the first snowfall.

One of the big local board shops has a huge warehouse clearance every August - got myself a new jacket and gloves half-price this year. Just need to pick up some base layer stuff and then I'm set. Maybe a bit of leg-work in the gym between now and then too!

Oh, I almost forgot - we've booked (just about) the first weekend away of the season. Long weekend in Revelstoke with the lads. Did it last year and it's a great hill when there's good snow. Hoping to maybe get a cat-ski trip in and maybe go all out and do avalanche training! I've never been so excited to be cold!!

karl83 wrote: »
    To do another season or back to a proper job??

Where did you go last year? What did you do for the season?

Is working a season not a proper job?? :confused::D

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Opening day in Sunshine Village is November 14. Saw some cars in Calgary this morning with snow on them, and I believe there's been some falling up on the mountains. We're just waiting for the cold to hit here then we'll be in full countdown mode! It was -1.5 degrees this morning though, so won't be long before there's fluffy stuff falling. I'll be winterising the car this weekend, then it'll be a waiting game until I put the winter wheels on with the first snowfall.

One of the big local board shops has a huge warehouse clearance every August - got myself a new jacket and gloves half-price this year. Just need to pick up some base layer stuff and then I'm set. Maybe a bit of leg-work in the gym between now and then too!

Oh, I almost forgot - we've booked (just about) the first weekend away of the season. Long weekend in Revelstoke with the lads. Did it last year and it's a great hill when there's good snow. Hoping to maybe get a cat-ski trip in and maybe go all out and do avalanche training! I've never been so excited to be cold!!

Sounds amazing, very jealous! How long you out there now? Doing boarding as a weekend warrior?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

It's all go for everyone! Even my phone is set up.

2eoh66s.jpg

masseyno9 wrote: »

One of the best resorts on the planet! Had 5 days there and even though the locals said the snow was poor! I had a lot of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

8 of us just booked to St Anton with a few more going to book over the next week. Will be third time there after the last two group trips being Mayrhofen.

100 days. Can. Not. Wait.

84 days before my first trip. :)

My bag is literally packed in the hall. Need to keep weight down for this trip. Second trip is for a month so weight isn't relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

stevire wrote: »
    Where did you go last year? What did you do for the season?

Is working a season not a proper job?? :confused::D

Val d'Isere. Was a resort manager for the season.. I'm still paying off my credit card after it ha. Saying that I loved every minute of it. Have a job offer with very good money and being my own boss so it's a tough decision what to do. Part of me is saying one more season but is it ever one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

67 days and counting to the first four day trip.
    Not sure where yet as. Just booked flights to Geneva, probably 3 Valleys or Tignes depending on the snow. I always try to get a few days before the tour ops start as the resorts are pretty empty and if the snow is good it's just epic on the mountain. December 2012 in Meribel was like having a full mountain of powder to ourselves.

Advertisement