Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

For anyone heading to Austrian Resorts this is a pretty handy page to have a look at, hopefully it will improve over the next week

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=LifteOffen,DESC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Anybody have any experience with the Avalung? Controversial at best, but might be a nice addition if ABS in unaffordable.

Looking at the Black Diamond Covert (32L) from 2011 before the re-design in 2012 model. Going new for 99e - yay or nay? Could easily spend the same money on a Helipak/Freerider.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Would I be right in saying it's not an airbag? Only taken a quick look. 32l is huge.

stevire wrote: »
    Anybody have any experience with the Avalung? Controversial at best, but might be a nice addition if ABS in unaffordable.

Looking at the Black Diamond Covert (32L) from 2011 before the re-design in 2012 model. Going new for 99e - yay or nay? Could easily spend the same money on a Helipak/Freerider.

Avalung is an odd one! You are relying on the fact that in the event of a slide you have time to get the device in your mouth, keep it there or at the end of the slide if you are buried, you have an ability to get it into your mouth! Probably better spending the money on an Avalache training course!

Would I be right in saying it's not an airbag? Only taken a quick look. 32l is huge.

Yeah it's not an airbag, it's a breathing apparatus to help if you ever got buried in a slide. Survival rate after 15mins of a burial is pretty much 0%, this claims to give you 58mins
    Fattes wrote: »
    Avalung is an odd one! You are relying on the fact that in the event of a slide you have time to get the device in your mouth, keep it there or at the end of the slide if you are buried, you have an ability to get it into your mouth! Probably better spending the money on an Avalache training course!

Yeah true, but the bag itself is competitively priced against those that don't have any additional 'features'. I was originally looking at the Ortovox Freerider and came across this at a similar price.

I would do at least one avalanche course before purchasing an airbag though. .. The price of a course vs airbag comes in about the same to my limited knowledge!

• Advertisement

There are free Avalanche and freeride days run in the village here through January! Its that important! Henrys Avalanche talks, and the AVI academy in Chamonix do free stuff and really high quality, as is the Free White Risk and Mammut apps for Iphone and Android! This is also a really good resource below. No need for an avi Course to use an Airbag, its pretty simple if the snowpack moves you pull, it works! In an ideal world avi course first even a little knowledge will help you

http://www.avalanche.net.nz/education/Online-Avalanche-Course/Rescue.asp

http://www.slf.ch/index_EN

My Boss entertaining himself this am!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'm surprised Great Outdoors don't rent airbags (or do they), I'd like one but would most likely only get four days use a year, would definitely rent one

a148pro wrote: »
    I'm surprised Great Outdoors don't rent airbags (or do they), I'd like one but would most likely only get four days use a year, would definitely rent one

They cost what 500 - 600 minimum and the canister and trigger need to be refilled by the manufacturer after a single use which if they were rented would be every time for entertainment value alone. Personally I'd never rent one.

I did see one recently that used a fan and rechargeable battery instead of gas.

Our ski school insist that people use them, when booking freeride or touring days, They are provided as part of the course.

Pretty much every shop in town rents them by the day CHF 15-35 depending on the bag and shop. It is fine to rent them, they are fairly simple products and any shop that is renting them, will make sure they work.

The refill cost vary, so for example the bag I use is CHF 20 to refill, if deployed, some are as expensive as CHF 60-75 depending on the system.

The bag you are talking about is the Black Diamond Jet Force system it operates of a small battery powered motor, there are some questions about the reliability of the batteries in cold conditions but I am pretty sure they will work in most conditions. Actually seen one being tested on Sunday outside a store in the village, the noise the Jetforce makes, is well easy to see where they got the name from!

• Advertisement

Seen them on the old youtube. An interesting alternative and as an added plus would give you the extra air offered by the avalung.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Anyone want to do a snow dance? I'm off on Sunday to Chamonix and of course it hasn't snowed :(
    Worst early season ever?

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Anyone want to do a snow dance? I'm off on Sunday to Chamonix and of course it hasn't snowed :(
    Worst early season ever?

I have been performing two naked snow dances a day on my balcony! I am not sure if it is angering or appeasing the snow gods but the old lady across the way seems interested! I will continue for your sake

Grand Montes and Le Tour will be ope for you!, Les Houches is closed and will be remaining so unless something drastic changes!

Current conditions really are showing where the good snow record resorts are! They are the ones with significant terrain! Also it shows the "100% snow cannon coverage" up for what it is! A silly gimmick

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Looks like ill be going to Les Arcs and Soll in Jan, willing to join in naked snow dances now... :-/

Our ski school insist that people use them, when booking freeride or touring days, They are provided as part of the course.

Pretty much every shop in town rents them by the day CHF 15-35 depending on the bag and shop. It is fine to rent them, they are fairly simple products and any shop that is renting them, will make sure they work.

The refill cost vary, so for example the bag I use is CHF 20 to refill, if deployed, some are as expensive as CHF 60-75 depending on the system.

The bag you are talking about is the Black Diamond Jet Force system it operates of a small battery powered motor, there are some questions about the reliability of the batteries in cold conditions but I am pretty sure they will work in most conditions. Actually seen one being tested on Sunday outside a store in the village, the noise the Jetforce makes, is well easy to see where they got the name from!

Did a bit of reading around about the Jetforce after reading this! Looks like a great product, however, I eventually stumbled across this article from Bruce Temper:
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/blog-avalanche-airbag-effectiveness-something-closer-truth

I'm still reading his book for the third time, learn/remember something new everytime!

Rew wrote: »
    Looks like ill be going to Les Arcs and Soll in Jan, willing to join in naked snow dances now... :-/

Rew if I was you i would be making alternative plans for Soll!!! Still only 20cm total at the top there, nothing lower down and no lifts open! Remember next week is Christmas and they may not open!

stevire; In reality you buy these things hoping to never use them, I am sure the jetforce is a great product, it is Black Diamond after all, The best avalanche survival tool is knowledge, good planning and decision making!

We got about another 20-30 cm today from 1,800 meters up, Spent a few hours telemarking today for the first time, hard work but great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

stevire wrote: »
    Did a bit of reading around about the Jetforce after reading this! Looks like a great product, however, I eventually stumbled across this article from Bruce Temper:
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/blog-avalanche-airbag-effectiveness-something-closer-truth

I'm still reading his book for the third time, learn/remember something new everytime!

on the book note, would anyone like to recommend good ski/board/mountain/avalanhce etc books for the stocking? i'll be checking out the bruce temper one anyway, is this it?

Yep thats the one, probably one of the best avalanche education tools on the market. Others that are really good

Hermann Maier , The race of my life, available in English

The Edge of Never William A Kerig, Story of a big mountain skiing teenager visiting the site in Chamonix that took his fathers life and skiing it!

Climb to Conquer, Peter Shelton, Its all about the 10th Mountain division of the US Army really cool story Some of the members will surprise you

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

I have been performing two naked snow dances a day on my balcony! I am not sure if it is angering or appeasing the snow gods but the old lady across the way seems interested! I will continue for your sake

Grand Montes and Le Tour will be ope for you!, Les Houches is closed and will be remaining so unless something drastic changes!

Current conditions really are showing where the good snow record resorts are! They are the ones with significant terrain! Also it shows the "100% snow cannon coverage" up for what it is! A silly gimmick

Ah Fattes, put it away!! You could be angering the gods!!!
    Doesn't affect me until March but wifes Uncle Aunt & Nephew going to Limone for week after Christmas, current coverage of 50 cm's at top and about 15 at bottom, gulp....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

The all mountain skier is a great book for technique, definitely improved my skiing more than any lessons. Might be a bit dated now vis a vis new ski design but still great for the basics.

Two books I haven't read yet are deep and wild snow, on my list.

• Advertisement

We had the preview of Shades of Winters movie Pure tonight in the village the fact that half the cast including Matilda Rapport call here home made the atmosphere pretty special! Its an all female cast and a great piece of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

1.44m looks like it's about to get real nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Wow, looks promising for so many reasons :P No sign of the lovely Ingrid though

CardinalJ wrote: »
    1.44m looks like it's about to get real nasty.

It does, get very messy, she is partially buried but head above the snow, but no damage done, Matilda was there tonight, was talking to here about the incident, She said it looked worse than it was! :eek:

Ingrid is contracted to MSP movies!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Rew if I was you i would be making alternative plans for Soll!!! Still only 20cm total at the top there, nothing lower down and no lifts open! Remember next week is Christmas and they may not open!

Open 3 days according to skiwelt site but the conditions sound terrible. Its all up in the air ATM anyway as I have flights and car rental booked fot a long weekend in Soll then got a an offer I couldn't refuse for a week in Les Arcs that over laps so trying to rebook the flights etc with minimal penalties (not an easy thing to do). So may all change yet!

Any recommendations for Les Arcs après and on piste ? Staying in Plan-Peisey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Quote: am i bovvered
    Worrying day on the ski webcam watch, snow melted again !!! I'm in les Saissies Bisanne 1500 for a family holiday (14 of us ) on the 3rd Jan, I've been assured it has had reasonable snow conditions for the last 10 years in a row.

fattes;
    Calm yourself! 1,500 is plenty high anywhere, that has a village that high will normally have another 500-800 meters of skiing and you should be ok! It is early yet.
    We have skiing from 3,300 down too,, 1,800 right now and the off piste around the glacier is skiable without fear of rocks. That said, no snow forcast for the next couple of weeks and bright blue skies and sunshine so it will be piste skiing for a few weeks now.

Hey Fattes, now I am really starting to freak out !!!!
    But still trying to put on a brave face :)
    It does not look good for the next 7 days, although after that hopefully conditions will change.
    Couple of questions please..,
    What is the best website for forecasting weather ?
    What is the best resort within driving distance of Les Saisies for decent piste conditions ? I was thinking Valle Blanche :/

Couple of questions please.., What is the best website for forecasting weather :/

Snow-forecast.com

Also Norwegian weather service very good.

Yellow warning for rain in St Anton. Bit of luck and will get some snow lower down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Good news for those further South in the Alps, Isola 2000 is the only French Ski station currently fully open http://www.nicematin.com/vallees/ski-isola-2000-seule-station-francaise-ouverte-a-100.2027867.html
    I do believe temperatures are to rise by a few degrees in the next few days but hopefully it won't take effect.
    A friend who lives in Nice is hoping to get up there on Saturday for the day before coming home for 10 days at Christmas - I'll report any findings here!

Come on you givers of snow, produce the goods for the people about to embark for winter fun. They have been good this year, I'm sure of it...

Advertisement