Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Are you at Kilternan next Saturday?
    Taking the daughter down for the afternoon all being well.
    Are they small learner groups? Might be worth putting her in to learn a few pointers from ya :)

I think I have the one day course next Sat, so I will be there. Classes on Sat afternoon at this time of the year are generally small and quiet as it does not get busy for a few weeks!!

Come find me if you are up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Fattes wrote: »
    I think I have the one day course next Sat, so I will be there. Classes on Sat afternoon at this time of the year are generally small and quiet as it does not get busy for a few weeks!!

will do , daughter gets into dublin at 1pm so hope to be there around 2pm.
    ill look out for you and say hello :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

Are you doing the 1 day course on the 29th? Myself and the wife are booked in! Looking forward to getting started.

G2DG wrote: »
    Are you doing the 1 day course on the 29th? Myself and the wife are booked in! Looking forward to getting started.

Nope, sorry I will be packing up my car as I am leaving for the winter the next day early morning!

I will ask around and see who is on for you so they look after you!!!

Our resorts shiny new rotating gondola is finally up and running and opens to the public on Friday this week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Our resorts shiny new rotating gondola is finally up and running and opens to the public on Friday this week!!

What altitude is that resort at? A lot of snow cover for this early in the year.

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    What altitude is that resort at? A lot of snow cover for this early in the year.

Top is 3,020 you are looking at 2,400 Meters up to the top. But this is from this morning 2,400 down to 1,800 :) no snowmaking in either shot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

Top is 3,020 you are looking at 2,400 Meters up to the top. But this is from this morning 2,400 down to 1,800 :) no snowmaking in either shot!!

is that then entrance to the laub?

is that then entrance to the laub?

Yep it's Johan Jonsson's photo! Bastard!!!!! Must stay calm only 2 weeks to go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭prunudo

Yeah there's some great shots of the Matterhorn covered in snow knocking around this morning.

• Advertisement

Its making me itchy! I have 2.5 weeks before I am back in the alps, getting restless!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Fattes I am cervinia bound this early Jan any tips specifically hoping to get some heli skiing in as it seems absurdly cheap

Some nice snow falling today in the Alps :D

Cervinia, is great mostly cruisy reds but you can nip across to Zermatt if you want something a little more challenging! Do not get caught in Zermatt a Taxi back to Italy is around 380 Euro! Its cheaper to stay overnight!

Weather can be an issue as with most high altitude resorts! Be mindfull of the heli skiing the price is probably only for one maybe two drops!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

If you have a facebook account this is worth a look. Stubaier glacier off piste run on Saturday I think.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=982727778408389

Be mindfull of the heli skiing the price is probably only for one maybe two drops!!!

I figured that, Monte Rosa run is seriously high though but I've a feeling it might be pretty boring

I secretly think the less time spent in a heli the better, vis a vis risk of death but if there was a run that involved a few steep without being crazy colouirs it would be great

Dont get me wrong, if you think you can afford it do it!!! Every one should heli at least 3 times, Europe, N.America and New Zealand if they can! Have done N.America 3 times Europe once and hopefully will be making that 2 this year ;)

Its something like 230 for a few of the one run trips, the descents will prob last half a day, may end up saving that day's ski pass as well (although not if we go down to Zermatt)

bit of a no brainer if it involves a trip to the shoulder of Europe's second highest mountain. feck it what have I got to lose?

a148pro wrote: »
    bit of a no brainer if it involves a trip to the shoulder of Europe's second highest mountain. feck it what have I got to lose?

Thats the Spirit!!!! Plus you will have a life time of people going :D:D:D:D:D when they see your photos!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

First day out coming up on Sunday at Sunshine village. Should be fun. Not sure how much is open, but they've built a little jib park so that should at least be fun for a few hours if the rest is crap! Heading out next Friday too with the office ski-passes. Always nice to get a free day! The rest of the weekend is a stag party, so probably won't get any more boarding done. We're booked in to go curling on Saturday afternoon - it's a surprisingly fun sport...especially when there's a bar at the rink!

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ that's stunning, irrespective of snow cover. And the snow cover too!

Engelberg again this year Fattes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

this is where I booked

this is where the travel company has reassigned my booking after telling me that others had booked the same deal at the same time.

equal distance to the centre of town probably same distance to the lift

there seems to be a huge difference in the quality. if you get that call from the tour operator get the actual name of the place and say you will check it out on trip adviser first.

to be honest I'm not that bothered got it cheap.

a148pro wrote: »
    Jesus Christ that's stunning, irrespective of snow cover. And the snow cover too!

Engelberg again this year Fattes?

Yep! Funny they are actually lift accessed easy spots to get to in the resort!

This is what I am kind of feeling like right now!!!

sheesh; Pensions are normally very close in standard really! But try and screw something else out of the TO for compensation! They deserve it

sheesh wrote: »
    this is where I booked

this is where the travel company has reassigned my booking after telling me that others had booked the same deal at the same time.

equal distance to the centre of town probably same distance to the lift

there seems to be a huge difference in the quality. if you get that call from the tour operator get the actual name of the place and say you will check it out on trip adviser first.

to be honest I'm not that bothered got it cheap.

The reviews for the second one are fairly poor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

cormee wrote: »
    The reviews for the second one are fairly poor :(

Yup! I'll have to bring a sleeping bag line with me by the sounds of it! And sandals for the shower.

yerra amn't I going on a ski holiday...

sheesh wrote: »
    Yup! I'll have to bring a sleeping bag line with me by the sounds of it! And sandals for the shower.

yerra amn't I going on a ski holiday...

I shall light a candle to the snow gods, that your trip may be balls deep in snow, and you only catch one variety of crabs in the penison :P:P!

Conditions are looking good!!!

http://youtu.be/XcGxoWE5MWc

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

jaysus, antiparallel skiing at 1.08. that would be bad for the old knees if it went wrong

• Advertisement

A gorgeous final day on the plastic before a week of packing my winter life into the car and making the trip to the Alps.

Advertisement