Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

jvan wrote: »
    Finally have a trip booked after 2 months of missed deals, numerous resort/hotel options, dates not suiting and people being indecisive. It's been tense haha.

Anyway, we had decided on Morzine and we were just waiting for somebody to confirm if he could go. With all the waiting they sold out so went back to square one. Silver lining though as we ended up DIY'ing it, same airport, same hotel and looking like it will come in €70 cheaper than the tour op.
    Only 3 of us this year, numbers are dwindling each year. Looking forward to it now, never been to Morzine or the Portes Du Soleil area.
    Just need to sort out transfers but there seems to be lots of options.

Morzine is lovely, probably my favourite resort. Pistes there aren't very challenging though, so if you're any good take the Super Morzine lift up to Avoriaz, much more challenging there. Also try the far side of Les Gets (when you get to Les Gets village via the slopes, go to the road, there's a little train thing that will give you a lift to the other ski area), it's off the main ski area and has some lovely quiet reds, you'll have an entertaining morning/afternoon there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭prunudo

cormee wrote: »
    Morzine is lovely, probably my favourite resort. Pistes there aren't very challenging though, so if you're any good take the Super Morzine lift up to Avoriaz, much more challenging there. Also try the far side of Les Gets (when you get to Les Gets village via the slopes, go to the road, there's a little train thing that will give you a lift to the other ski area), it's off the main ski area and has some lovely quiet reds, you'll have an entertaining morning/afternoon there.
    Cheers for the tips Cormee, we were thinking about Avoriaz but we decided on Morzine as it looked nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Decision re my third ski trip.

UCPA off piste course chamonix Jan 17 or UCPA Freestyle/snowpark Val Thoren course Feb 7th. What do ye think? Id love to do both tbh but im leaning towards the park course...

Would love to hear opinions...
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Getting a group organized is a massive pain in the ass.

We've 12 going to St Anton from Dublin and London. Our biggest ever group was 20, smallest 4. Been going as a group for 8 years.

Worth it to get out with your mates, but still a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

It's back, the promised storms have started to hit hard and heavy from 1,500meters and up

• Advertisement

Cheers for the tips Cormee, we were thinking about Avoriaz but we decided on Morzine as it looked nicer.

Probably the correct decision, Avoriaz tends to be quite dead at night. Once you get off the Super Morzine lift it takes about 15 mins skiing/boarding to get to Avoriaz, you can also get the bus from Morzine town and then take a different lift to get you right to Avoriaz. There's a brilliant red (I think) that you can take to get back down to the bus in the evening, a great way to finish a day.

Crepu is a nice bar in Morzine. Cool cow paintings, a good crowd and doesn't get too mad. There's another bar underneath it if you're looking for madness, it's a bit of a dump though.

Down to resort level now whooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Watching 3 webcams in Austria and there's no fresh snow. :(

Watching 3 webcams in Austria and there's no fresh snow. :(

This is the first of 3 storms, forecast for the week, first two are predominantly, Central and western alps. Austria will get some later in the day and towards the end of the week! Snow line is about 1,000- 1,500 meters today so lower resorts may not have a white village but will get something up top

It will come eventually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Might get to do Sweden this season, almost more interested in where it is than how the skiing is! I think I should start pushing it to make sure it happens.

I did Norway a few years ago and that was interesting as an adventure but very quiet before the season really started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Lake Louise is opening in 2 days, but it's generally only part of the main face they open at the start, and it's always rammed with people, so I'll be leaving it a few more weeks before heading up. I tend to get over-adventurous and 'find' some rocks under the early-season snow-cover, so this year I'm being kind to my gear!

Oh, and I've just seen that Sunshine are building a heated bubble chairlift this year. It's on the same line as an old 2-man lift that took forever, regularly stopped and got you battered with wind as you went over a crest, but it was always guaranteed to be quiet and no waiting in line...wonder how that'll pan out this year! Got stuck on it for about 15 mins once in -25 degrees and just about froze. Mother and Sister were visiting for christmas and were on the chair ahead of me, equally cold!

First day out is planned for Nov 28, if I can get the day off work.

The storm part 2 is here most of the snow is falling lower down today but it is falling hard :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Fattes wrote: »
    The storm part 2 is here most of the snow is falling lower down today but it is falling hard :):)

Saw some tweets last night about mountain passes etc in Switzerland having to close, might be a good season for you Fattes :)

Not a bit Jealous!

oh yes I am, very much so!

Forgot to chime in on the Morzine/Avoriaz discussion. I spent a season in Les Gets working in "Le Pub Irlandais." Mont Chery is the other side of Les Gets that people have mentioned and is definitely fun for a day/afternoon. Only a handful of lifts, but it's generally pretty quiet so it's nice. In recent years they've built a park over there that the locals hang out at. The year I was there, the big thing was the boarder-x run (Deborah Anthonioz, olympic medallist, is from Les Gets) but not sure if that's still there.

There used to be a great week-long event called ebouelle LINK HERE that finished with a road-gap hip jump being set up outside town hall and sessioned for an evening. There were graffiti competitions and all sorts of skiing/snowboarding contests, air-bag etc. I can't find much info on it from the past 2 years, so not sure if anything like that is still going on. Looks like "Rock the Pistes" is all they have for this year...pity.

Anyone on here skateboard? Just picked up an old one trying to get somekind of fix on my snow addiction. Sposed to help in the park... If you can ollie a skateboard thrn shouldnt be a huge diff to a snowboard?

Think I'd break a wrist again if I tried that. Skateboarded as a kid but those days are gone. I just strap on the snowboard and pop, ollie and nollie in the living room. I still suck. :)

I had a skateboard in my back garden I'd jump on from time to time, but it disintegrated a few weeks ago :( City Bin Co have it now. It was pretty good for keeping my balance sharp, but I don't know if it would help your ollies too much though. I also had an offcut of carpet I'd practice on on my snowboard in the back garden, I think that helped more.

Best thing i found to help me on the slopes is the gym. Leg presses, lunges with weights and box jumps are all fantastic.

Well it made me smile!

Well, lack of snow means Louise didn't open as planned. They've delayed it to next week, but in the age-old battle of neighbouring resorts, and not wanting to be outdone...posted the date for a day before Sunshine opens...it's on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I fcuking love skiing. Just throwing that out there.

• Advertisement

I'm keeping an eye on the qpr vs city match 1-1 halftime. If he's prediction on that comes true I'll be paying closer attention to the other elements!

http://www.planetski.eu/news/6438

Not even December and people dropping down crevasse's

http://www.planetski.eu/news/6438

Not even December and people dropping down crevasse's

I'm always amazed at people's lack of knowledge about safety on glaciers. Not a hope you'd catch me off piste on one without a guide and proper equipment.
    Two lucky guys by the sounds of the article.

I'm always amazed at people's lack of knowledge about safety on glaciers. Not a hope you'd catch me off piste on one without a guide and proper equipment.
    Two lucky guys by the sounds of the article.

These guys are a classic example of Darwinism. "Fresh pow woohoo lets go over there where the piste basher hasn't ruined it". It's early November. Most glacier resorts might just be extending or widening their summer runs now if safe. Of course some glaciers are not safe at all off piste.

another half metre forecast this week in Val D! Only 5 weeks to go... :-)

Dr Nic wrote: »
    another half metre forecast this week in Val D! Only 5 weeks to go... :-)

All last week's snow in Led Arcs seems to have melted :(

All last week's snow in Led Arcs seems to have melted :(
    Yeah the temps still seem quite high. Suppose it's still only early November but the emotional rollercoaster that is webcam watch has begun!

Snow will be variable below 1,800 for a few weeks yet! Stay calm it will happen.

I have been teaching a great bunch of munchkins for the past few weeks and will miss them when I leave for the season :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Snow will be variable below 1,800 for a few weeks yet! Stay calm it will happen.

I have been teaching a great bunch of munchkins for the past few weeks and will miss them when I leave for the season :(

Are you at Kilternan next Saturday?
    Taking the daughter down for the afternoon all being well.
    Are they small learner groups? Might be worth putting her in to learn a few pointers from ya :)

Advertisement