Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Well done to Kilmallock. It was an amazing run from Cratloe and I fancied them today but there's a reason very few clubs can sustain both codes successfully no matter how many good players they have. The workload takes its toll especially in a county that's successful or in the hunt for honours, the year ends up dragging out forever.

Kilmallock didn't really impress me the last two games they played but stepped it up a level today and were deserving winners. They would have to be favourites for the semi-final but history has shown that underestimating Ulster opposition at semi-final level especially for teams who aren't regular semi-finalists is dangerous but you'd have to fancy them all the same.

For Limerick hurling its another significant day, each result like this is a stepping stone in helping build belief. Having come through in 2 games that went to extra time is also a significant feather in their cap. An All-Ireland club title would further build that belief. The Leinster final will be interesting. If Kilcormac were to win that it'd throw it wide open but its hard to look past Ballyhale winning the All-Ireland

Its not that long ago that the Limerick champions weren't even a good warm up game for the other clubs in the Munster championship that is certainly not the case any longer.

:confused:
    I can't ever remember that being the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Hard luck to Cratloe
    they should have won it in normal time.

How do you make that out? They were up against 14 men for a lot of the second half and if I'm not mistaken had to get the last score to equalise. Given how Kilmallock blew them away in ET, Cratloe just weren't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If Cratloe had of taken more of their goal chances, or tapped the sliotar over the bar rather than trying to walk it into the net then there is a good possibility they would have won. Conor McGrath and the two Collins' brothers had the beating of their markers for a lot of the match, but they did do much hand passing and butchered some chances.

Kilmallock though played very well. They were happy to get the ball to around the Cratloe 45 line and take their points. There was hardly a breeze so shooting from those distances wasn't too much of a difficulty. I thought Graeme Mulcahy was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Hard luck to Cratloe
    they should have won it in normal time.
    extra time was cruel on those amateur players

They fell at the last hurdle, the unfortunate thing is they would have had 2-3 months until their next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If Cratloe had of taken more of their goal chances, or tapped the sliotar over the bar rather than trying to walk it into the net then there is a good possibility they would have won. Conor McGrath and the two Collins' brothers had the beating of their markers for a lot of the match, but they did do much hand passing and butchered some chances.

Kilmallock though played very well. They were happy to get the ball to around the Cratloe 45 line and take their points. There was hardly a breeze so shooting from those distances wasn't too much of a difficulty. I thought Graeme Mulcahy was very good.

While his brother got the man-of-the-match and was top class (think he scored 1-6), Graeme got 0-6 today, worked like a demon and just showed class on the ball. I think he and Conor McGrath showed they were the 2 best hurlers on the field when they had possession..... while other players were perhaps better performers, you could tell those players had that little bit extra class too. I rate Podge Collins very highly too, but thought he was off his best today.

Would agree on Cratloe over-complicating things. But I think the lack of a few ball-winners makes them have to overwork it sometimes, although the quick ball into space worked very well for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The pitch that a senior football relegation playoff was meant to take place on in Tipperary last weekend:

B3Fa93XCIAA8-mc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The Nire out of the gates very quickly 1-1 ahead after 2 attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Great goal from Callaghan, really needed.

1-3 to 1-0 to the Nire.

Would have been a black card and a penalty if the ball hadn't gone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The nire keeper is after messing up two kickouts now and only 18 minutes gone. They are obviously avoiding direct kickouts to midfield to avoid donaghy with lots of short kickouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Great goal from Callaghan, really needed.

1-3 to 1-0 to the Nire.

Would have been a black card and a penalty if the ball hadn't gone in.

Brain fart by nire Goalie who is struggling with his kickouts gifts a goal to stacks... Level now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

If The Nire don't win this match they'll be sick.

They've given away a dreadful goal kicked 2 dreadful wides from easy frees.(the second of which should have been taken from a better angle but for some reason the kicker didn't realise this) and playing against 14 men for most of the first half.

They played great football in the first 15 minutes but have lost their way since then.

Brain fart by nire Goalie who is struggling with his kickouts gifts a goal to stacks... Level now.

Level at HT. Kerry boys roughing up the Nire but Nire missed 3 or 4 scorable frees so they're getting away with it to a certain extent. One red (double yellow), one textbook black card not called and the Star walking on thin ice.

Very hard to see Nire or Stacks doing anything outside Munster.

Lots of mistakes by both sides and both defences look very creaky.

Level at HT. Kerry boys roughing up the Nire but Nire missed 3 or 4 scorable frees so they're getting away with it to a certain extent. One red (double yellow), one textbook black card not called and the Star walking on thin ice.
    The Nire have escaped 2 clear cut Black Cards (foul on Calaghan befor the goal, and the player Rugby tackled clear through where the yellow card was given) and a Red card for kicking out at Donaghy which was highlighted by TG4.

Neither of Carroll's yellows were yellows IMO, (a soft tackle, and a textbook shoulder). Second one isn't even a free.

Donaghy's yellow was fair enough.

Play acting since from the Nire has been pretty poor, but has brought them no joy. Any touch on a jersey, has led to leaps into the air and even clipping their own heals looking for a black card.

If they stuck to football, they'd be ahead, and possibly comfortably so.

DDC1990 wrote: »

Neither of Carroll's yellows were yellows IMO, (a soft tackle, and a textbook shoulder). Second one isn't even a free.

Full force hit on the shoulder/neck area of a player stooping to pick up is hardly textbook, definitely worthy of a yellow. Both teams including donaghy guilty of playacting and referee struggling to keep a lid on it. Neither team has an AI title in them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The Nire have gifted Stacks 2 goals today. Will be raging with themselves if they lose this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Nire should take off the goalkeeper.He may not have been 100% to blame for the last goal but why he persists with the short kickouts or any fluting around at the back is downright stupid.

I'd disagree, and I'd disagree that Donaghy was play acting, he got a hefty belt in the face, which led to a goal.

Beggers belief that Carroll got yellows for his challenges and the Nire midfielder didn't ever give a free away for a head high tackle.

Anyway, the Stacks are doing well to still be in this game.

Serious heart from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Donaghy was clearly fouled before the Nire's second goal. A smaller man would have gotten the free. Referee is very poor and inconsistent.

Some great catches around the middle from the Nire lads.

Its poor football and shocking refereeing though. Can't argue that its exciting though.

Shane O'Callaghan is being pummelled and getting no protection.

• Advertisement

Neither team has an AI title in them

Yeah I don't think either side would be able for Vincents or Corofin. Maybe not even the Ulster champs although I haven't seen much of Omagh or Slaughtneil yet.

Nire have only one score in the last 35 minutes of play, which is when Stacks went down to 14 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The amount of wides from frees has been shocking.

Pretty poor scoring considering it's almost perfect conditions alright.

Pitch is very heavy.

Both sides struggling with fitness.

Kicking into that sun is hard as well.

You really wouldnt think the Nire had an extra man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

This is without doubt one of worst quality games of football I've ever seen on television.

Another kick from 11 on the Nire.

Referee has left all this go.

This is without doubt one of worst quality games of football I've ever seen on television.
    Look up the Castlebar v Ballintubber Mayo Football Final from 2010.

0-09 to 0-05, but an awful game of football.

That was worse, but not by much.

• Advertisement

Great save, possibly a footblock, but I don't mind that, wasn't too dangerous, and ref was too far back to see for certain.

Keepers should get the benefit of the doubt sometimes.

Advertisement