Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Munster club football is really on its arse if this is the cream of the crop.

Some of the wides have been incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

1 score (the 2nd goal) for the Nire in 45 minutes against 14 men. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Congrats to the Stacks, not pretty at all but deserved in the end.

Nire will be annoyed with their mistakes that gave two goals away, but Stacks defended well with 14 men and were fitter in the end, and were by far the better team in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Look up the Castlebar v Ballintubber Mayo Football Final from 2010.

0-09 to 0-05, but an awful game of football.

That was worse, but not by much.

2006 Ulster Football Final
    Crossmaglen 0-05 Ballinderry 0-03
    Painful game to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Saw a good bit of club football over last number of years. Saw Stacks 3 times now on TV, and the quality of their side compares no way with any of the top sides of recent years, like St Bridgets, Crossmaglen, Vincents, or even of nearly men Dr Crokes. It's based on this I'd opine that they won't win the All Ireland, and the first good side they play will beat them well.

• Advertisement

Be surprised if Omagh don't get the win from here. Should probably be more than 3 points up considering how much of the ball they've had.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Be surprised if Omagh don't get the win from here. Should probably be more than 3 points up considering how much of the ball they've had.

Another stunning prediction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Another stunning prediction :)

They looked good in fairness but huge last quarter from Saughneil.
    Quality of the 2 games like chalk and cheese... Great pace intensity and skill under pressure in the Ulster final. Is be amazed if Stacks can compete with Shaughneil in the semifinal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Munster final a poor watch. The nire gave away two very soft goals and kicked so many wides they really kicked a Munster title away. The Ulster final a much higher standard of game, a tough competitive contest with a great score to win it, well done Shaughneil good to see Mickey Moran back winning titles after his health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

that munster final was poor, fair play to the Nire for getting there but they are a poor enough side, as for Stacks they can count their blessing that they are not playing Vincents or Rhode as they wouldn't keep it kick out to either side. it will be hard again Shaughneil and it would be hard to pick a winner but the all ireland winner will come from Corfin, Vincents, or Rhode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Why did so many of the Omagh footballers have whiskers? Surely there aren't that many Omagh shops doing Santa Claus this year.

On a more serious note isn't it time the GAA got real about " neutral " venues. Bringing a Derry and a Tyrone team to Armagh today is taking the m1ckey. It's one thing to do this kind of thing for provincial inter-county finals where only a few venues can accomodate the attendance. Shouldn't the GAA compel neighbouring counties to toss for venue or enter a home and away arrangement? Especially in winter, how many road accidents are caused by this nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

feargale wrote: »
    Why did so many of the Omagh footballers have whiskers? Surely there aren't that many Omagh shopsdoing Santa Claus this year.

On a more serious note isn't it time the GAA got real about " neutral " venues. Bringing a Derry and a Tyrone team to Armagh today is taking the m1ckey. It's one thing to do this kind of thing for provincial inter-county finals where only a few venues can accomodate the attendance. Shouldn't the GAA compel neighbouring counties to toss for venue or enter a home and away arrangement? Especially in winter, how many road accidents are caused by this nonsense?

4 every 10 years. Seriously, what sort of a point is that?

If teams got home advantage then undoubtedly somebody would complain, use it as an excuse to be bitter. You can't argue with a neutral venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Ompala wrote: »
    2006 Ulster Football Final
    Crossmaglen 0-05 Ballinderry 0-03
    Painful game to watch

Damn cold as well!

While there have been coin tosses for club games, in general this is not appropriate. For one thing a club like Slaughtneil might not be in an Ulster final against a Tyrone team for the next 30 years, and that team would probably not be Omagh, not much opportunity to balance the home and away. But had a toss been used today Omagh might have been playing in their home town¹, which would have been very unbalanced, while Slaughtneil would probably have ended up in Derry City has they win the toss, which is not much less of a drive than Armagh.

1. of course this kind of home town advantage isn't unfair if you are from Dubin

4 every 10 years. Seriously, what sort of a point is that?

Only 4 accidents ( road deaths? ) every 10 years? Oh, I guess that's ok then. And I'd like to meet the actuary who can guarantee that that statistic won't change. There was a particularly bad accident some years ago after a Leinster club hurling game ( 2 or 3 killed.) But it's all in a good cause, preventing bitterness on the part of the vanquished and helping petrol outlets to survive,
    If teams got home advantage then undoubtedly somebody would complain, use it as an excuse to be bitter. You can't argue with a neutral venue.

Why on earth couldn't Omagh and Slaughtneil play in Cookstown or Dungannon or Draperstown? Every Munster club game this year was home or away. Did you hear a single complaint about that? Time was when that nonsense went on in Munster e.g. Linerick and Clare teams playing in Nenagh or Thurles when the Gaelic Grounds were eminently more suitable to both. But they got sensible in Munster.
    The Ulster club hurling final between Ruairi Ôg, Antrim and Portaferry, Down was played in Dungiven. That's somebody cutting off their nose to spite their face. What was wrong with Belfast which straddles both counties? And Derrylin, Fermanagh v. Inniskeen, Monaghan ( Intermediate) was in Omagh. It couldn't possibly be in Clones which is 2km. outside Fermanagh!
    It's just not fair to travelling supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Why on earth couldn't Omagh and Slaughtneil play in Cookstown or Dungannon or Draperstown? Every Munster club game this year was home or away. Did you hear a single complaint about that? Time was when that nonsense went on in Munster e.g. Linerick and Clare teams playing in Nenagh or Thurles when the Gaelic Grounds were eminently more suitable to both. But they got sensible in Munster.
    [/QUOTE]

The Munster football club final was played in Cork yesterday.

Only 4 accidents ( road deaths? ) every 10 years? Oh, I guess that's ok then. And I'd like to meet the actuary who can guarantee that that statistic won't change. There was a particularly bad accident some years ago after a Leinster club hurling game ( 2 or 3 killed.) But it's all in a good cause, preventing bitterness on the part of the vanquished and helping petrol outlets to survive,

The Ulster club hurling final between Ruairi Ôg, Antrim and Portaferry, Down was played in Dungiven. That's somebody cutting off their nose to spite their face. What was wrong with Belfast which straddles both counties? And Derrylin, Fermanagh v. Inniskeen, Monaghan ( Intermediate) was in Omagh. It couldn't possibly be in Clones which is 2km. outside Fermanagh!
    It's just not fair to travelling supporters.

That statistic was tongye in cheek, how in the name of god are you going to get a statistic like that? People could be on the road anyway. Don't they a large % of accidents happen within a few miles of home?

Every Munster club game? So when exactly did The Nire valley or Tralee become part of Cork? Maybe in certain cases their would be a point, to be fair with Munster club hurling final Cratloe coul well be even closer to the Gaelic Grounds than Kilmallock.

Are you aware whether the ulster finalists were asked? Maybe they said no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

That statistic was tongye in cheek, how in the name of god are you going to get a statistic like that? People could be on the road anyway. Don't they a large % of accidents happen within a few miles of home?

Every Munster club game? So when exactly did The Nire valley or Tralee become part of Cork? Maybe in certain cases their would be a point, to be fair with Munster club hurling final Cratloe coul well be even closer to the Gaelic Grounds than Kilmallock.

A lot closer!

are ye trying to say cratloe are limerickmen .....lol.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why on earth couldn't Omagh and Slaughtneil play in Cookstown or Dungannon or Draperstown?

By some reports there were 10,000 at this game, certainly there was 7-8000, can Draperstown, Cookstown or even Dungannon hold this crowd? Do these places have floodlights? The Athletic grounds has the largest covered accommodation in Ulster and first class floodlights, well suited to a winter game. While yesterday was dry and bright enough, it could just as easily been dark and wet.
    feargale wrote:
    The Ulster club hurling final between Ruairi Ôg, Antrim and Portaferry, Down was played in Dungiven. That's somebody cutting off their nose to spite their face. What was wrong with Belfast which straddles both counties? And

Which Belfast ground do you propose for this, given that Casement Park has been demolished? Ravenhill?

Cu Baire wrote: »
    The Munster football club final was played in Cork yesterday.
    Every Munster club game? So when exactly did The Nire valley or Tralee become part of Cork?

I had posted re. Munster when I realised I should have qualified my comments re the provincial final. To be clear, I have no problem at all with a neutral venue provided it doesn't drag two neighbouring teams to the other side of the province.

Were the supporters asked, or the NI equivalent of the Road Safety Authority? Are Mayo asked if they want to play the all-Ireland final against Dublin in Croke Park?

People could be on the road anyway. Don't they a large % of accidents happen within a few miles of home?

Indeed. We are all going to die sometime. I'd prefer tomorrow to today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

To be clear, I have no problem at all with a neutral venue provided it doesn't drag two neighbouring teams to the other side of the province

Why were you talking about the Ulster final then, it is not as if it was in Breffni Park?

Why were you talking about the Ulster final then, it is not as if it was in Breffni Park?

It took a Derry team across Tyrone to Armagh. There has to be a suitable venue nearer to both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

are ye trying to say cratloe are limerickmen .....lol.....

Well they were all born in Limerick, so...............;)

Were the supporters asked, or the NI equivalent of the Road Safety Authority? Are Mayo asked if they want to play the all-Ireland final against Dublin in Croke Park?

Indeed. We are all going to die sometime. I'd prefer tomorrow to today.

Your point re road accidents is banal. Have their been road accidents on the day of provincial club finals? Possibly, who knows.

Where these caused by the Ulster Council? Not in the slightest.

Indeed. Sure imagine if Tipp and Cork played, oh I dunno, an all-ireland semi final in Croker and they dragged 65,000/70,000 people all the way up there when they could have had it in Thurles....oh wait.

Does nobody in the GAA think about the potential for road accidents? :eek:

Your point re road accidents is banal. Have their been road accidents on the day of provincial club finals? Possibly, who knows.

You should know. I told you of one.
    Where these caused by the Ulster Council? Not in the slightest.

Do you mean are the Ulster Council open to prosecution? Must I answer that?
    Indeed. Sure imagine if Tipp and Cork played, oh I dunno, an all-ireland semi final in Croker and they dragged 65,000/70,000 people
    all the way up there when they could have had it in Thurles....oh wait.

Reductio ad absurdum.
    Does nobody in the GAA think about the potential for road accidents? :eek:

You tell me. Do you? Does anyone here? My whole point is that the GAA should do its utmost to reduce travel distances, especially in winter. I'll leave it at that.

washman3 wrote: »
    Well they were all born in Limerick, so...............;)

For God's sake don't tell that to the Waterford people or Kilkenny hurling will be bled dry. We couldn't have that!

You should know. I told you of one.

Do you mean are the Ulster Council open to prosecution? Must I answer that?

Reductio ad absurdum.

You tell me. Do you? Does anyone here? My whole point is that the GAA should do its utmost to reduce travel distances, especially in winter. I'll leave it at that.

I suppose it should be there remit to create diversions from accident black spots as well on match day?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Bizarre stuff tbh.

anyway big game sunday Ballyhale again offalys kilcormac- killoughey this is 50/50 and could go either way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

anyway big game sunday Ballyhale again offalys kilcormac- killoughey this is 50/50 and could go either way

It's been a while since I studied statistics, but seeing as Ballyhale are 1/4, I'm not all that sure it's 50/50. ;)

Advertisement