Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

anyway big game sunday Ballyhale again offalys kilcormac- killoughey this is 50/50 and could go either way

It's really not 50/50, are you from Offaly? You've a big thing for Rhode as well (a decent team to be fair).

Kilcormac are tough, but they haven't half the class of Ballyhale.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

no not from offaly, but this time of year anything can happen, no they don't have the class of Ballyhale, but where have Ballyhale been the last 3 years
    its not like the winners of the kilkenny championship have won leinster the last 3 years, as kilcormac-killoughey won it 2012 and were in the semil last year and back in the final this year, so i'd give them a chance, yes Ballyhale should win it but they won't run away with it as most on here think.

as for Rhode they also are knocking around a while and are a class side mountainlad and have won there games handy enough, lets for forget this is club not county, yes offaly wouldn't live with Dublin footballers or same in the hurling with kilkenny. but an offaly team as underdogs is an dangerous team.

no not from offaly, but this time of year anything can happen, no they don't have the class of Ballyhale, but where have Ballyhale been the last 3 years
    its not like the winners of the kilkenny championship have won leinster the last 3 years, as kilcormac-killoughey won it 2012 and were in the semil last year and back in the final this year, so i'd give them a chance, yes Ballyhale should win it but they won't run away with it as most on here think.

as for Rhode they also are knocking around a while and are a class side mountainlad and have won there games handy enough, lets for forget this is club not county, yes offaly wouldn't live with Dublin footballers or same in the hurling with kilkenny. but an offaly team as underdogs is an dangerous team.

Rhode are a good side, and maybe they'll do it but Vincents won an all-ireland to be fair they on class you would say they are one of the strongest teams Leinster have produce in quite some time.

Kilcormac have benefited from some poor opposition in the last couple of years. A tough team, at this time of year no doubt but again Ballyhale a class above what they've faced in the last few years. 1/4 isn't a great price, but I'll be very surprised if they lose.

Well aware of the difference between club and county but I'd say the Offaly teams are unlucky to be meeting such strong teams. The champions in that County have represented their county well these last few years (and Birr were incredible going back a good bit further).

the strongest team ever was Birr, for all Ballyhale titles they couldn't put all ireland club titles back to back like Birr, Coolderry and Kilcormac both beat oulart the ballagh in leinster final in 2011,2012, and oulart both years beat the kilkenny champions so i'd say offaly are as good as kilkenny in club in leinster since 1971 they were the first winners in 1971 don't forget. kilkenny would have the most titles but offaly would be second and very near kilkenny in leinster wins.

the strongest team ever was Birr, for all Ballyhale titles they couldn't put all ireland club titles back to back like Birr, Coolderry and Kilcormac both beat oulart the ballagh in leinster final in 2011,2012, and oulart both years beat the kilkenny champions so i'd say offaly are as good as kilkenny in club in leinster since 1971 they were the first winners in 1971 don't forget. kilkenny would have the most titles but offaly would be second and very near kilkenny in leinster wins.

Grand but I do believe Ballyhale will win Sunday, will be shocked if they don't in fact.

• Advertisement

should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So the provincial championships in hurling and football are all but finished, here are the winners so far:

HURLING

Connacht
    Senior: Gort (Galway) v Portumna (Galway) - Final, December 14th
    Intermediate: Cappataggle (Galway)
    Junior: Annaghdown (Galway)

Leinster
    Senior: Ballyhale Shamrocks (Kilkenny) v Kilcormac Killoughey (Offaly) - Final, December 7th
    Intermediate: Mullinavat (Kilkenny)
    Junior: Shamrocks (Offaly) v Bennettsbridge (Kilkenny) - Final, December 6

Munster
    Senior: Kilmallock (Limerick)
    Intermediate: Cappoquin (Waterford)
    Junior: Castlemartyr (Cork) v Modeligo (Waterford) - Final, December 7

Ulster
    Senior: Portaferry (Down)
    Intermediate: O'Donovan Rossa (Antrim)
    Junior: Castleblayney Faughs (Monaghan)

FOOTBALL

Connacht
    Senior: Corofin (Galway)
    Intermediate: St Croan's (Roscommon)
    Junior: Aran Islands (Galway)

Leinster
    Senior: Rhode (Offaly) v St. Vincents (Dublin) - Final, December 14
    Intermediate: Seán O'Mahonys (Louth)
    Junior: Moate All Whites (Westmeath) v Straffan (Kildare) - Final, December 7

Munster
    Senior: Austin Stacks (Kerry)
    Intermediate: Ardfert (Kerry)
    Junior: Brosna (Kerry) v Glin (Limerick) - Final, December 7

Ulster
    Senior: Slaughtneil (Derry)
    Intermediate: Warrenpoint (Down)
    Junior: Rock St Patrick's (Tyrone)

Exciting stuff in the Leinster final.

Currently Ballyhale are winning by 3 points at half-time in extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Exciting stuff in the Leinster final.

Currently Ballyhale are winning by 3 points at half-time in extra time.

Free taking (missing) is killing KK!

citykat wrote: »
    Free taking (missing) is killing KK!

Cost them in normal time.

Physical game but wouldn't be overly impressed with Ballyhale on the basis of today. Performance from the usual suspects but a lot of messing with the ball and making it hard for themselves. Not convinced by the backs either. TJ Reid has been immense in particular.

I suppose it'll be a different game in March, that rain just before half time had a detrimental impact on the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Cost them in normal time.

Physical game but wouldn't be overly impressed with Ballyhale on the basis of today. Performance from the usual suspects but a lot of messing with the ball and making it hard for themselves. Not convinced by the backs either. TJ Reid has been immense in particular.

I suppose it'll be a different game in March, that rain just before half time had a detrimental impact on the game.

Totally ruined it yeah. Poor game as a result, very agricultural. Even aside from that ballyhale didn't look at all as slick and finished as in the county final. Thought shefflin was playing done lovely hurling mind you. Tough one for kk to lose.

Very tough to play on such soft ground. Good skill despite the conditions.
    TJ was a class above the rest in my opinion. Henry displayed a few glimpses of his genius. Cha Fitzpatrick would still make the Kilkenny team if he was playing inter-county. Kilcormac played very well and they probably should have won it in normal time as they dominated the last 10 minutes.

Shefflin is class when he has space, possibly the most skilful.of all time. But he only got space when Kilcormac tired, don't think he can fashion it for himself anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Brosna are Munster Junior Club champions,beat Glin of Limerick today 15pts to 2-6

A clean sweep for Kerry in Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ballyhale got away with it today bigtime. KK had more than enough chances to win it during the 2nd half of normal time. Some awful wides especially from frees.

Shefflin is class when he has space, possibly the most skilful.of all time. But he only got space when Kilcormac tired, don't think he can fashion it for himself anymore.

Yeah I agree Mountainlad. He got swallowed up a good few times fairly easily earlier in the game. He either lost possession or was forced into a risky pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

anyway big game sunday Ballyhale again offalys kilcormac- killoughey this is 50/50 and could go either way

Credit due - hope you went for the draw. Offaly team should have won that.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Well done to Ballyhale Shamrock.
    Watching Shefflin play is one of the greatest joy in life. His movement in Extra time was beautiful. His point from the sideline was Sex on legs.
    only seen him play Live 50 or 60 times. it not enough. TJ Reid use of the Ball was excellent.

As an Offaly man. Disappointed. Kilcormac Killoughey hurler ok. Fought for everything. Had a good game plan and hurl a good band of Offaly Hurling that was build around hard work. No.5 Kevin Gorgan was excellent. Ger Healion going off for extra time was a huge loss.
    Can't miss easy frees and win. Slevin Buied his grandmother yesterday and hurled with a broken finger. he was excellent from play but missed some free he put over in his sleep other days.

Once again well done to Ballyhale Shamorck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Well done to Ballyhale Shamrock.
    Watching Shefflin play is one of the greatest joy in life. His movement in Extra time was beautiful. His point from the sideline was Sex on legs.
    only seen him play Live 50 or 60 times. it not enough. TJ Reid use of the Ball was excellent.

As an Offaly man. Disappointed. Kilcormac Killoughey hurler ok. Fought for everything. Had a good game plan and hurl a good band of Offaly Hurling that was build around hard work. No.5 Kevin Gorgan was excellent. Ger Healion going off for extra time was a huge loss.
    Can't miss easy frees and win. Slevin Buied his grandmother yesterday and hurled with a broken finger. he was excellent from play but missed some free he put over in his sleep other days.

Once again well done to Ballyhale Shamorck.

Wait until you see JC!!!:D Moving Shefflin out helped BH big time, was in Healion's pocket at FF, but to be honest I will be very surprised if he plays for KK next year or if Cody selects him, just doesn't look to have it at top level anymore. 2 Fennelly's not so good for BH, and Colin's striking looks to have regressed again. On the other hand, Reid was excellent and could Joey Holden be the answer for No. 3 for KK? Had Reid been taking the frees for Kilcormac, they would surely have won it. Ballyhale will improve more I feel and still take beating, but it's not automatic that they will win it out, as Portumna (though probably not Gort) or Kilmallock will test them even more. Credit to both sides for a typically top class club game in tough conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Anyone think Henry will announce his retirement from I.C. hurling this week.?
    Think he may have been waiting for this final to be over to avoid any distraction to Ballyhale. Just a thought.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Well done rank outsiders Kilcormac-Killoughey. To those who had prematurely written off Offaly hurling, it's not dead yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

washman3 wrote: »
    Anyone think Henry will announce his retirement from I.C. hurling this week.?
    Think he may have been waiting for this final to be over to avoid any distraction to Ballyhale. Just a thought.:confused:

I'd guess it'll be when the club championship is finished.

Only two provincial finals to be decided now.

HURLING

Connacht

Leinster
    Senior: Ballyhale Shamrocks (Kilkenny)
    Junior: Bennettsbridge (Kilkenny)

Munster
    Junior: Modeligo (Waterford)

Ulster

FOOTBALL

Connacht

Leinster
    Junior: Moate All Whites (Westmeath)

Munster
    Junior: Brosna (Kerry)

Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

feargale wrote: »
    Well done rank outsiders Kilcormac-Killoughey. To those who had prematurely written off Offaly hurling, it's not dead yet.

I love this kind of "that showed up all you doubters" posts from people who said literally nothing about the match in advance. It would be a little more convincing if you'd actually predicted a close game or made a point about Offaly hurling BEFORE the game. We can all look clever after it.

By the way, kk being good doesn't stop Offaly being terrible right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Only two provincial finals to be decided now.

HURLING

Connacht

Leinster
    Senior: Ballyhale Shamrocks (Kilkenny)
    Junior: Bennettsbridge (Kilkenny)

Munster
    Junior: Modeligo (Waterford)

Ulster

FOOTBALL

Connacht

Leinster
    Junior: Moate All Whites (Westmeath)

Munster
    Junior: Brosna (Kerry)

Ulster

What gort like??
    Who will win gort v portumna please?

What gort like??
    Who will win gort v portumna please?

Hard one to call thinkstoomuch1. Portumna haven't played for ages due to the debacle here in Galway, so they could be quite rusty. And the weather conditions will have a massive impact on the game considering it is the middle of December. In saying that, I'll still fancy Portumna to win if Canning plays well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I love this kind of "that showed up all you doubters" posts from people who said literally nothing about the match in advance. It would be a little more convincing if you'd actually predicted a close game or made a point about Offaly hurling BEFORE the game. We can all look clever after it.
    By the way, kk being good doesn't stop Offaly being terrible right now.

I wasn't aware that this thread was confined to making predictions, or to schoolboy attempts at looking cleverer than the other guy, though God knows there's more than enough of that on GAA threads.
    I'm not an Offalyman, but Offaly are the only county I have ever seen win their first ever All-Ireland Senior Hurling title, at a time when, I suspect, your posterior wasn't the size of a shirt button. It was one of the highlights of a life spent following hurling and I'm only sorry I didn't see it happen to other counties. It would have been the best thing that could happen to hurling.
    I haven't read the pre-match comments on this thread and I have no idea what you posted, but I suspect that my post, harmless as it was, has hurt your feelings in a big way. Maybe you made predictions about the game or decried thè current state of Offaly hurling. I don't know nor do I care what you posted. I have found the current decliñe of Offaly hurling to be sad, though it has to be said that it is still in a healthier state than it was before the rise to glory and is only in decline when measured against the amazing achîevements of the two closing decades of the last century.
    The performance of Kilcormac-Killoughey today bucked the recent trend, and the person who begrudges a pat on the back for that lacks a true appreciation of the game of hurllng. For the true aficionado it's not all about rooting for one's own side. You'll probably come to understand that when you grow older.
    If you want to see how a mature discussion of sport is conducted in boards can I suggest that you try some of the threads devoted to other sports.
    I'll leave you with the suggestion that you google what Brendan Behan said about the begrudgers.

Offaly club champions have been competitive for a long time now so today didn't buck any trend, even though I was surprised by it myself. Their Senior setup was a joke this year and it their not doing enough in the new competitive era to remain so. They're looking down the barrel of some very gloomy years if there aren't big changes made up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Good win for Kilburn Gaels over Mullininavat in the intermediate quarter final at the weekend.

Good to see Waterford sides picking up a couple of Munster titles also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

MfMan wrote: »

2 Fennelly's not so good for BH,
    :eek:

That wasn't what I saw. Thought myself Colin was man of the match. Full of strong running. Had his man in all sorts of trouble every time he got the ball. AFAIR he was still running at the KK defence well into ET. Had two good attempts on goal which were stopped. On his striking, he tends to go for hail mary shots from out the field - look great when they go over.

If Portumna get through in Galway, looking forward to seeing how JC gets on probably against JH - could make or break him next year. In fairness Ballyhale were given a stern test by KK who might feel they threw it away on missed frees alone but as you said credit to both on a very enjoyable game on the day/pitch that was in it.

Advertisement