Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MATCH THREAD: Connacht vs Leinster, 19th Sept 2014 19:35, The Sportgroud, TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Does anyone else think Macken is simply not good enough to be starting for Leinster? Bit disillusioned with the team at the moment, a fair few sub standard players regularly playing. Can't wait till Sexton is back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Who would Leinster take from Connacht if they had their pick?

That Quinn Roux lad looks handy...

Honestly though, probably Marmion and that would be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Who would Leinster take from Connacht if they had their pick?

Honestly?
    Robbie Henshaw. That's all.

Some would say Marmion, but I wouldn't agree. I think Reddan is better and I think McGrath has more potential. It's just our coach won't give him enough game-time to break him in.

Oh, and Bundee Aki. I wouldn't mind having Bundee Aki.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Montroseee wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Macken is simply not good enough to be starting for Leinster? Bit disillusioned with the team at the moment, a fair few sub standard players regularly playing. Can't wait till Sexton is back.

I thought that before tonight, but he was probably the best Leinster back in Galway.

Montroseee wrote: »

He's not good enough to be starting for a side that can realistically compete for European silverware. But are we that? Nope. I think until we see what Fitzgerald or Te'o can do at 13, he most definitley is good enough to be starting for us. He's flawed, but he can be happy with how he played tonight and last week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Macken is obviously talented and appears to just ghost through defenses at times. He has zero awareness of support runners though and woeful distribution after any break. Renders his line breaking somewhat redundant really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

That Quinn Roux lad looks handy...

Finally I wasn't that wrong, in my contextual head-to-head

1) Adeolakun has have nothing to be ashamed of in front of Leinster wingers tonight
    2) Connacht props Buckley AhYou and White have shown they're here to Joe Schmidt
    3) Muldowney/Roux drew Macca/Toner
    4) Naoupu had one of his good day, and it was so pleasant to see
    5) McSharry/Henshaw clicked together, especially in defense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Hagz wrote: »
    Honestly?
    Robbie Henshaw. That's all.

Some would say Marmion, but I wouldn't agree. I think Reddan is better and I think McGrath has more potential. It's just our coach won't give him enough game-time to break him in.

Oh, and Bundee Aki. I wouldn't mind having Bundee Aki.

Was Marmion and McGrath ever on the u-20s on the same time actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I'm completely surprised that no one has mention Ruddock yet post game. Holy fúcking shít was he immense. It took at least 2 to 3 to take him down and regularly broke the first tackle. Even from a static start he made yards. He was injured in the 5th last phase i think and he still took up the ball with 2 defenders on back. He made a great turnover and slowed down ball well. He threw himself into every tackle and never gave up. Dom Ryan had a great first half as well with regards to carrying. His quick, effective, aggressive rucking was superb. Dont think he made a turnover but was still a stand out player for when he was on the pitch. These are pretty much the only positives from the game. The rest was a disgrace. The most damning statistic about Leinster under MOC is that Nakarawa made more offloads last season than Leinster did. Get the McGraths and Crosbie more fúcking game time for Christ's sake.

Not to be drawing MOC/Kidney comparisons but that reminds me of Kidneys last 6N where Parisse made more passes than the rest of the Irish pack put together despite only playing 4 games.

I dunno where to stand on MOC, on paper he's doing ok but I'm not enjoying his tenure. Too often watching Leinster is a slog and his selections are very conservative, he could hand out a few more starts to the likes of Conan/McGrath or SCM. Brings a bit of enthusiasm into the side and keeps guys on their toes. It shouldn't take an injury crisis for a young guy to get a chance. We probably had things too good under Schmidt that whoever came in was going to be a let down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

connachta wrote: »
    It was so hard to explain to Leinster fans before the game, I guess they still don't believe that could have happened. Buckley has the international level, has to be with Wolfhound at least

Many of us did being honest. I flagged Connacht as coming good this season. I genuinely hope their form remains good.

• Advertisement

freyners wrote: »

Seriously? Yes and Marmion started about 80% of the games and was the better player. Mostly cause McGrath's pass was ropey (and still is slightly). McGrath was a year younger though and still eligible the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

Jaggo wrote: »
    This is the quote from the IT but it was in the post match interview after the pro 12 final:
    “I’d love to bring in five or six but that’s never going to happen. I’m arguing with the IRFU every day to make sure we can win Europe, whether it happens or not I don’t know.”
    So Leinster need more foreign players?
    “We didn’t win (the Heineken Cup) so you’d have to say yes,” said the coach.

Total crap, in my honest opinion. My distaste of Matt O'Connor grows almost with every interview. These are mere excerpts from his interview a few months ago, but it reads to me like he accepted absolutely no blame for the state that the team was in an the time, and seemingly the torpor Leinster seem to remain in. Did Schmidt not win 3 Heineken cups under the same constraints Matt is under with regards to team selection? Admittedly, Schmidt had Sexton, Nacewa, and BOD, I realize.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Seriously? Yes and Marmion started about 80% of the games and was the better player. Mostly cause McGrath's pass was ropey (and still is slightly). McGrath was a year younger though and still eligible the next year.

Beer makes my mind hazy:o, couldnt remember and this was the best place to check

Might leave off this thread till tomorrow:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

In the past, Connacht would win a game like this and then disappear until November but there is a bite and steel about them that's really impressing me. They should have lost both this week and last week yet here they are after three weeks, sitting top of the table.

I just hope they aren't given a reality check next week.

Yes, in 2012. McGrath was 19 but was elevated to u20s, so Marmion was the elder of the two. McGrath ended the 6nations the better of the two, but Marmion had a great jwc tournament and was rightly first choice. The following year McGrath captained the u20s.

Beer makes my mind hazy:o, couldnt remember and this was the best place to check

Might leave off this thread till tomorrow:o

Nah, don't worry about it. I'm just cynical and thought it might be a loaded question.

McGrath started 3/5 6N games I think (could be wrong) but only 1/5 JWC games. I didn't see all the 6N games but saw all the JWC games and Marmion was definitely the better player.

McGrath was as good the following year when he got the chance though. His pass has always been slightly questionable though which is obviously a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Nah, don't worry about it. I'm just cynical and thought it might be a loaded question.

McGrath started 3/5 6N games I think (could be wrong) but only 1/5 JWC games. I didn't see all the 6N games but saw all the JWC games and Marmion was definitely the better player.

McGrath was as good the following year when he got the chance though. His pass has always been slightly questionable though which is obviously a concern.

Yeah it's a funny one in those 6Ns games Marmion really didn't look up to scratch at all, McGrath was significantly better when he came off the bench in the first two games and he started the rest of the games from there. If you told me at that point Marmion would be where he is now id never had believed you. Fair play to him though he really kicked on in that JWC and went straight into the Connacht team and iirc hasn't missed a single game for them since

That said I don't think McGrath was particularly bad in that JWC, in the only game he started he scored a wonderful solo try, but Marmion was clearly the main man.

I often wonder if their provinces had been switched what would have happened. In the two years since then (keeping in mind McGrath is a year younger in fairness) McGrath has started 1 senior game and got a couple of bench appearances, Marmion has only *not* started 2 senior games in the same period for Connacht, he's got an uninterrupted, virtually unchallenged, injury free run in a side with relatively lower expectations, it was pretty much the perfect scenario

Eoin Reddan commented on Marmion recently saying "He's a good player. He has played a lot of rugby in a row which I think is great for a No9. He can obviously get used to managing a lot of different situations on the pitch and he is going really well".

Consistent game-time really is integral for a developing 9. Getting 4 minutes off the bench isn't doing anything for him. What do you do as a young 9 coming off the bench with that amount of time? You probably feel under pressure to make a break or do something special in the limited amount of time you have. The opportunities will come his way after the world cup is over but it must be infuriating for the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Excellent game. was steward at game in clan terrace. Absolutely electric there at the end.
    Leinster started so well but slowly got worse and worse
    Leinster back row was good but issues with both halfbacks.

Well deserved win for Connacht. Marmion has to be looked at by Joe in November if he keeps this up any bit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What a night, what a win. Electric atmosphere, great craic (as usual) with the Leinster travelling fans, tension, nerves and ultimately the win we craved. What a night...

A few thoughts... Denis Buckley is having a storming start to the season, not just in the tight but in the loose as well. Got on top in the scrum and was immense scrapping for possession in the ruck.

Kieran Marmion is swiftly overtaking all contenders for the Irish 21 jersey. If he continues as he's going he will be seeing plenty of gametime in the 6N and WC.

George is back to his best.

Pat Lam is doing a great job.

I'm slightly p1ssed.

Rhys Ruddock will get a lot of international caps. A sh1t load to be exact.

Devin Toner is a monster up close and in the lineout but he can't carry for sh1t. Unbelievably strong in the tackle though.

Rob Kearney must hate Galway.

We have the better coach.

We're top of the league. Did I mention that already?

I'm ever so slightly p1ssed...

322754.png

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Zzippy wrote: »
    What a night, what a win. Electric atmosphere, great craic (as usual) with the Leinster travelling fans, tension, nerves and ultimately the win we craved. What a night...

A few thoughts... Denis Buckley is having a storming start to the season, not just in the tight but in the loose as well. Got on top in the scrum and was immense scrapping for possession in the ruck.

Kieran Marmion is swiftly overtaking all contenders for the Irish 21 jersey. If he continues as he's going he will be seeing plenty of gametime in the 6N and WC.

George is back to his best.

Pat Lam is doing a great job.

I'm slightly p1ssed.

Rhys Ruddock will get a lot of international caps. A sh1t load to be exact.

Devin Toner is a monster up close and in the lineout but he can't carry for sh1t. Unbelievably strong in the tackle though.

Rob Kearney must hate Galway.

We have the better coach.

We're top of the league. Did I mention that already?

I'm ever so slightly p1ssed...

322754.png

:D

Zzippy I agree and am that tanked what a night

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am pumped for the potential of four Irish teams in Europe next year on merit. I hope that is the IRFUs main priority for provincial rugby right now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hehe...
    ssaye2 wrote: »
    Gopperth came on as a sub the last two times and the scoreboard went in our favour. We are starting him now. Be Afraid.
    Larbre34 wrote: »

Leinster by 9.
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    i think connacht are in for a rude awakening here...
    leinster by 10-15 for me

322756.jpg

Apparently Zzippy's drunkenness is measured by the size of his posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

AngeGal wrote: »
    Heading out the door. Connacht to win by 4.

Really should have taken kick at goal with five left to make my prediction spot on. But seeing as we're 3 from 3, I suppose i'll forgive them :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Hagz wrote: »
    Apparently Zzippy's drunkenness is measured by the size of his posts.

Who cares those posts are good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Dat Robbie tackle on Gopperth doe
    robbie-henshaw-and-jimmy-gopperth-630x406.jpg

Dat Marimon sidestep on Kearn doe

Dat McSharry tackle on Kearney doe

Rather drunk but:
    Aly Muldowney and Buckley were immense in the pack
    Mick Kearney, George Naoupou and Ah You were great impact subs- Kearney deserves to start over Roux imo
    Somehow the fact we didn't have a place kicker didn't cost us - dunno how though
    Joe seened very happy with Marimon
    Pat Lam is such a nice guy, (can be wonderfully intense at times though) so happy for him personally after last season being rather tough (Toulouse victory aside)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

did i mention im drunk

ALSO, off topic, but if you reading- apoligisies to the Leinster fans in Supermacs who were getting grief (not in a banter way) from some gob****e in red jumper. what a diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. funnily he seemed to have a Meath accent:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

connachta wrote: »
    Finally I wasn't that wrong, in my contextual head-to-head

1) Adeolakun has have nothing to be ashamed of in front of Leinster wingers tonight
    2) Connacht props Buckley AhYou and White have shown they're here to Joe Schmidt
    3) Muldowney/Roux drew Macca/Toner
    4) Naoupu had one of his good day, and it was so pleasant to see
    5) McSharry/Henshaw clicked together, especially in defense

Connachta, where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

wprathead wrote: »
    did i mention im drunk

Yes, go to bed. You'll not be well in the morrow!

Advertisement