Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MATCH THREAD: Connacht vs Leinster, 19th Sept 2014 19:35, The Sportgroud, TG4

Options
  • 18-09-2014 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭

Preview by former legend

_63189092_happ.jpg
    George Naoupu scores against Leinster in 2012

The interprovincial series kicks off with Leinster's visit to the Sportsground in a game they will be regarding with some caution. Not usually the most open or free-scoring affair, many of this Leinster team will remember only too well the 28-point defeat of two years ago.
    In truth, tomorrow's game is more likely to resemble that of last season, a scrappy affair in which Connacht did well for the first half but failed to score in the second while Leinster struggled to put the westerners away.

Perhaps unusually for this time of the year, both teams have a good degree of continuity in their line-ups; Connacht are able to name an unchanged backline from the one that defeated Edinburgh a week ago, with only a single change in the forwards, Aly Muldowney replacing Mick Kearney who drops to the bench. Despite that win in Edinburgh, Connacht will be looking to improve on their performance as they failed to spark for much of the game.

Although it's a settled backline, it's also very short on experience, with Danie Poolman (age 25) being the old man of the set-up, might this count against them if they come under pressure as the game wears on?

As ever, much of the focus will be on their potential Ireland internationals, most notably Henshaw and Marmion, but it's worth bearing in mind that Nathan White becomes IQ this month; we know Joe Schmidt was a fan and a good showing against the all-international Leinster front-row might just edge White into the periphery of the national set-up. Another man with plenty to prove tomorrow will be Quinn Roux, on loan to Connacht although few Leinster fans expect to see him in blue again; tomorrow's game will be Roux's third start in a row, something he could probably not have hoped for at Leinster, so hopefully it's the right move for him, but a big showing would be a good two-fingers to the Leinster set-up.

As for Leinster, their backline only shows one enforced change from the rout of Scarlets last weekend, Fergus McFadden apparently overcoming fitness concerns to replace Zane Kirchner whose sparkling early season form was cut short by a hamstring injury. Up front, Rhys Ruddock makes his first start of the season as he looks to follow up on his breakthrough performances of last season; Dominic Ryan shifts across to openside with Shane Jennings dropping to the bench, otherwise the pack is unchanged from last week, meaning Cian Healy again has to content himself with a place on the bench.

The big talking point from the Scarlets game was the performance of Ian Madigan at 12, who dove-tailed wonderfully with Gopperth. It will be interesting to see how this combination performs tomorrow; it's hard to see Connacht giving Gopperth and Madigan the acres of space that the Scarlets did so this may be more of a genuine test of Madigan's credentials as a 12. He'll be very aware of Gordon D'Arcy's presence on the bench, waiting for his first appearance of the season; but will we see D'Arcy replacing Brendan Macken instead, as the search for the next occupant of the 13 jersey heats up?

There'll be no shortage of familiar faces for Connacht among the Leinster squad; Sean Cronin, Mike McCarthy and Daragh Fanning will all be keen to remind the home fans of what they're missing.

Leinster are 7-point favourites with the bookies for this; I think that's based mainly on their advantage up front. While Connacht looked solid and well-drilled against Edinburgh, particularly in the closing stages, this is another step up in class and Connacht will be delighted if they can maintain parity in the set pieces.

Where Connacht might really be in trouble is the disparity between the two replacement benches; they simply have no-one to match the game-changing potential of Healy, Reddan and D'Arcy, so if the game is in the balance with 20 minutes to go, you would have to favour Leinster's depth and experience to pull them through.

My prediction is Leinster by 7-10 points.

Connacht
    15. Darragh Leader
    14. Niyi Adeolokun
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    12. Dave McSharry
    11. Danie Poolman
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Nathan White
    4. Aly Muldowney
    5. Quinn Roux
    6. John Muldoon ©
    7. Willie Faloon
    8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16. Shane Delahunt
    17. Ronan Loughney
    18. Rodney Ah You
    19. Mick Kearney
    20. George Naoupu
    21. Ian Porter
    22. Craig Ronaldson
    23. Matt Healy

Leinster
    15. Rob Kearney
    14. Fergus McFadden
    13. Brendan Macken
    12. Ian Madigan
    11. Darragh Fanning
    10. Jimmy Gopperth
    9. Isaac Boss
    1. Jack McGrath
    2. Sean Cronin
    3. Mike Ross
    4. Devin Toner
    5. Mike McCarthy
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Dominic Ryan
    8. Jamie Heaslip (C)

Replacements

16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Tadhg Furlong
    19. Tom Denton
    20. Shane Jennings
    21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Gordon D'Arcy
    23. Mick McGrath

Preview by connachta
    I Don't even make a poll as the Dubliners are far too numerous here!

G'wan the Westies:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Not even the teams, a poor effort D -

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I like it. Minimalist. ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

dub_skav wrote: »
    Not even the teams, a poor effort D -

Yet better than the effort the rest of us made!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Ah sh*te - mods, do some thread deletion/merging magic there, will yiz?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057292624

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Good preview but I think your underestimating the Connacht set-piece quite significantly. It's been our main weapon for quite a while now and the front row is frighteningly good at the minute. McFarland's work with the maul has been a pleasure to watch too. I'm only worried about the lineouts because Kearney isn't playing. Really would have been an excellent chance for him to stake a claim in front of Schmidt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Buer wrote: »
    Yet better than the effort the rest of us made!

I'm sorry guys, was answering on another topic.
    Was too much enthusiastic, had the envy to create the thread, but very happy that some professional guys have completed the effort

Thanks and sorry again:rolleyes:

its_phil wrote: »
    Good preview but I think your underestimating the Connacht set-piece quite significantly. It's been our main weapon for quite a while now and the front row is frighteningly good at the minute. McFarland's work with the maul has been a pleasure to watch too. I'm only worried about the lineouts because Kearney isn't playing. Really would have been an excellent chance for him to stake a claim in front of Schmidt.

1000 times YES

I don't underestimate it at all; I just think that a Leinster pack containing 7 current internationals is a major step up from the Dragons or Edinburgh and Connacht are going to have to up their game again to live with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm interested to see how Macken goes against Henshaw. Nice little sub-plot there. Macken doesn't carry any pressure of expectation, but he remains a dangerous player on his day. Hopefully the weather is kind and we can see both players running freely against one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Feel Connacht stronger
    Feel Leinster stronger
    Feel is pretty even Steven

15. Darragh Leader 15. Kearney
    14. Niyi Adeolokun 14. McFadden

13. Robbie Henshaw 13. Macken
    12. Dave McSharry 12. Madigan
    11. Danie Poolman 11. Fanning
    10. Jack Carty 10. Gopperth
    9. Kieran Marmion 9. Boss

1. Denis Buckley 1. McGrath
    2. Dave Heffernan 2. Cronin

3. Nathan White 3. Ross
    4. Aly Muldowney 4. Toner
    5. Quinn Roux 5. McCarthy
    6. John Muldoon © 6. Ruddock

7. Willie Faloon 7. Ryan
    8. Eoin McKeon 8. Heaslip

Replacements:

16. Shane Delahunt 16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Ronan Loughney 17. Cian Healy

18. Rodney Ah You 18. Tadhg Furlong
    19. Mick Kearney 19. Tom Denton

20. George Naoupu 20. Shane Jennings
    21. Ian Porter 21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Craig Ronaldson 22. Gordon D'Arcy

23. Matt Healy 23. Mick McGrath

• Advertisement

I don't underestimate it at all; I just think that a Leinster pack containing 7 current internationals is a major step up from the Dragons or Edinburgh and Connacht are going to have to up their game again to live with them.

When I say quite a while I mean back to Toulouse onwards last year. It's a very well drilled pack with the same nucleus as last year and even if Leinster gain parity it won't be by much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

wprathead wrote: »
    Feel Connacht stronger
    Feel Leinster stronger
    Feel is pretty even Steven

15. Darragh Leader 15. Kearney
    14. Niyi Adeolokun 14. McFadden

13. Robbie Henshaw 13. Macken
    12. Dave McSharry 12. Madigan
    11. Danie Poolman 11. Fanning
    10. Jack Carty 10. Gopperth
    9. Kieran Marmion 9. Boss

1. Denis Buckley 1. McGrath

3. Nathan White 3. Ross
    4. Aly Muldowney 4. Toner
    5. Quinn Roux 5. McCarthy
    6. John Muldoon © 6. Ruddock

7. Willie Faloon 7. Ryan
    8. Eoin McKeon 8. Heaslip

Replacements:

16. Shane Delahunt 16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Ronan Loughney 17. Cian Healy

18. Rodney Ah You 18. Tadhg Furlong
    19. Mick Kearney 19. Tom Denton

20. George Naoupu 20. Shane Jennings
    21. Ian Porter 21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Craig Ronaldson 22. Gordon D'Arcy

23. Matt Healy 23. Mick McGrath

If you're going to do a head-to-head comparison, best to have players who will be direct opponents compared, so tight head vs loose head, as 2 tightheads won't be scrummaging against each other.

1. Denis Buckley 3. Ross

3. Nathan White 1. McGrath

18. Rodney Ah You 17. Cian Healy
    17. Ronan Loughney 18. Tadhg Furlong

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Zzippy wrote: »
    If you're going to do a head-to-head comparison, best to have players who will be direct opponents compared, so tight head vs loose head, as 2 tightheads won't be scrummaging against each other.

1. Denis Buckley 3. Ross

3. Nathan White 1. McGrath

18. Rodney Ah You 17. Cian Healy
    17. Ronan Loughney 18. Tadhg Furlong

Was going more so for just on paper - going your route it also be:
    Poolman v McFadden (Ferg just back and Dannie looking very sharp)
    Niyi v Fanning (Very hard to call - don't really rate Fanning but he had a good game versus Scarlets- possibly shading Niyi due to experience but I gave it as even due to my new Niyi Man crush :pac:)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,101 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think connacht are in for a rude awakening here.
    This isnt a leinster squad going to the sportsground in the rain and sleet of a christmas week, with internationals injured or rested from November exertions. After 2 games so far its a pretty stable, contiguous team selection by MOC.
    They would have been battle hardened by glasgow and had their sharpness honed against scarlets.

The leinster selection seems to hint at an attrition battle for the first half, with the selection of boss, and then to open up against tired legs when reddan comes on after 60 mins.

Id be slightly worried about marmion v boss, i have seen boss caught out by a few snipes towards the end of last season and i hope hes a sharp as he can be.

leinster by 10-15 for me

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Thats the thing, a pack in a team that is beaten on the scoresheet more often than not bar a half dozen great games a year. I think its fair to say Leinster are a higher level and they should be looking to dominate not hope to gain parity against generally better players.

TBF I'm hinging our hopes on our front-row. Really think Buckley and White will be chomping at the bit for Ross and McGrath. Buckley vs Ross will be fascinating and I'd imagine the inclusion of Muldowney is to add more weight to our engine room against Toner and McCarthy. Never looked forward to a scrum contest as much from a Connacht point of view.

I'm prediciting a Leinster win and while I have different standards compared to a year ago at home, a LBP will be a good result. 9 points from 3 games will be a good return

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

just as well it's a team game...

just saying loike...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

BTW my phone acting up with posts, its not boards.

Its me, hopeless

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ssaye2 wrote: »
    BTW my phone acting up with posts, its not boards.

Its me, hopeless

It's actually not you, it's boards and phones. But hopefully you'll feel hopeless at 9.30 tomorrow evening alright ;)

It's actually not you, it's boards and phones. But hopefully you'll feel hopeless at 9.30 tomorrow evening alright ;)

No change there then

TBF I'm hinging our hopes on our front-row. Really think Buckley and White will be chomping at the bit for Ross and McGrath. Buckley vs Ross will be fascinating and I'd imagine the inclusion of Muldowney is to add more weight to our engine room against Toner and McCarthy. Never looked forward to a scrum contest as much from a Connacht point of view.

2000 times YES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Having Heaslip and Rob are the two biggest positives for me. The two of them led from the front in a massive way last week and I'd expect the same again this week. If they can I really think we can cause Connacht all sorts of problems. This Leinster side is, as FL has said, a step up from Dragons or Edinburgh. And Connacht were very poor overall last week. I can understand where the general sense of optimism is coming from as Lam seems to be really building something out west, but they are not there yet and tomorrow's game will be a major test.

Put this way, I'd be very shocked and disappointed if that Leinster side were to come away with anything but a win. It might sound cocky, but we've 9 internationals in our starting XV and another 3 on the bench with McCarthy, Boss and Jennings on top of that too. It's what we should be expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i think connacht are in for a rude awakening here. This isnt a leinster squad going to the sportsground in the rain and sleet of a christmas week, with internationals injured or rested from November exertions.

Ye sent a full strength team down last January on a perfectly still winter night and it was no stroll in the park!! ;)

But of course Leinster are favourites and it will takes a massive performance for Connacht to cause an upset.....stranger things have happened though!

Few interesting match ups:

1) Buckley vs Mike Ross - Denis is possibly 5th choice loosehead (at best) for Ireland but he's been brilliant in the first two games and key to a very dominant scrum. If he could get the measure of Ross it would certainly raise a few eye brows

2) Marmion vs Boss + Reddan - can he outshine both of them? On a side note, by my reckoning Marmion is playing in his 59th consecutive game this weekend. He has played in every single game since he made his debut in the first league game of the 2012/2013 season.....he has also started all but 2 of those games!! He makes Heaslip look like Luke Fitzgerald! :D

3) Henshaw vs Madigan + Macken - can he put in a big performance with the vast majority of Irish rugby fans watching? Personally I expect him to be like a bull after last week where he was very sloppy but aside from throwing himself about physically can he actually shape the game with big line breaks, offloads, tries etc...

4) Leader vs Kearney - Kearney looks to be in great form, big test for our young fullback. Added pressure of place kicks isn't helping him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'm expecting Leinster to win by 14+ points in this one.

It's all well and good having won our 1st 2 games but realistically we're not near the level of Leinster, as much as I hate to admit it. Leinster have a serious pack for this and with both Gopperth and Madigan they have 2 game changers in the backs that have good distribution.

I'd love a repeat of us beating them out the gate but I think it'll be a reverse of that this time around

molloyjh wrote: »
    Byrne was selected for the Leinster Academy when Delahunt wasn't. Thats a decent barometer.

OH Really? McSharry was fired by Leinster and still did Emerging Ireland
    Matt Healy is a great winger and came from Dublin
    D.Fanning played for Connacht 3 or 4 years ago and was released. Meanwhile he'll play for Leinster t'morrow

Provinces make mistakes with very young talents, hard to anticipate how they develop on a 5-10 years period. they make choices, especially when there are 2 or 3 contenders for a single contract. But these choices are sometimes 45-55, which could easily turn itself to the reverse, in the professional arena

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

S12b wrote: »
    Ye sent a full strength team down last January on a perfectly still winter night and it was no stroll in the park!! ;)
    Pretty nice evening two years ago in October as well, if memory serves.

I have no idea how this game will end up only that I'm delighted to be able to go when I expected to be elsewhere this weekend.

Yes but Niyi won't be coming up against McFadden, on the wings it's Poolman v McFadden and Niyi v Fanning. Pretty even IMO.
    Also, it's Buckley v Ross in the scrum. Ross on paper but he might be in for a surprise...
    I'm going to say Mc Sharry & Henshaw > Madigan & Macken

Here we are, you illustrate my arguments better! thanks:D

I'm loving this build-up, it's like a Leinster v Munster thread, there must really be some serious optimism in Connacht based on how involved the fans are getting.

All we need now is someone to accuse Joe Schmidt of anti-Connacht bias in his Ireland selections and we're sorted!

Re: the front-row debate; I would hope (as a Leinster fan) that it's not that important. I feel that we definitely have the better unit but the better front row does not always end up on top; if a prop picks up a strain, if the ref's interpretation goes against you etc. I'd hope and expect that we will be pretty much superior in every area of the field and that the scrum is just one aspect of that.

For someone tomorrow

1238064149_bubble.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm loving this build-up, it's like a Leinster v Munster thread, there must really be some serious optimism in Connacht based on how involved the fans are getting.

All we need now is someone to accuse Joe Schmidt of anti-Connacht bias in his Ireland selections and we're sorted!

Re: the front-row debate; I would hope (as a Leinster fan) that it's not that important. I feel that we definitely have the better unit but the better front row does not always end up on top; if a prop picks up a strain, if the ref's interpretation goes against you etc. I'd hope and expect that we will be pretty much superior in every area of the field and that the scrum is just one aspect of that.

There is definitely confidence among the Connacht supporters, and rightly so tbh. There were times last season where you could see what Lam was trying to do and it looked good. Then last week we saw them win a game that, in any other season, they'd have normally lost. There is no question in my mind they are going the right direction.

And remember there's a good number of young lads in that squad that this is being built around.

Dragons and Edinburgh are poor sides. Yet Connacht made incredibly hard work of beating Edinburgh last week. There were good chunks of the game they were simply shooting themselves in the foot. For all the positives about winning that game it will require a big improvement this week to get the win. They do tend to produce their best against us so I'm expecting it to be fairly tight, but like I said earlier you'd have to back the side with the dozen internationals versus the side with 1 or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It is not enough that Leinster win but Connacht must lose :D:D:D

Famous last words and all that :pac::pac:

Advertisement