Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MATCH THREAD: Connacht vs Leinster, 19th Sept 2014 19:35, The Sportgroud, TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mollser

And the reason madigan doesn't get selected at 10 is because of his inability to control a game? Half backs were awful this evening.

Terrible show tonight, agreed mcgrath should have been on much earlier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Rightwing wrote: »
    Nice result for connacht, they need to be putting a few of these back to back though.

Hard to take them seriously unless they win at least 3 close games in a row to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

86 mil Irish euromillions winner ****ing hell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Im afraid to sober up now in case it was all a dream

Massive massive result especially with how the first 15 mins went. Survived at times but defended well

Marmion have got motm but buckley was the hero for me. Getting our scrum back on even terms to slightly on top was vital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

ssaye2 wrote: »

Fair play. Spend it wisely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sooooo how did Leinster not win that game?! The reactions on here are understandable.

• Administrators Posts: 53,543 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

ssaye2 wrote: »

Remember us.

Especially the mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Rightwing wrote: »
    Nice result for connacht, they need to be putting a few of these back to back though.

We are!

What a result !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Jaggo wrote: »
    Well as long as he doesn't say something like "we need 5 or 6 new players"

Which he never said.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    He's hardly going to say "the boys were very inaccurate tonight" like, he also has a job to make sure he doesn't destroy their confidence also.

Ah now they aren't china dolls. They know themselves that wasn't good enough and saying as much is only being honest. They should be able to handle that. Something as simple as "We simply weren't good enough today and we are all very disappointed. We have an opportunity to put things right next week and we'll make sure that we do so." is more than enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

And as usual,any criticisms of O'Connor are dismissed by some posters here.Obviously the post that equated him to Uncle Deccie is wrong but there is one similarity between Kidney and O'Connor.Some people just flat out refuse to accept O'Connor has ever put a foot wrong.You'd swear we hadn't just lost to to bottom-tier team in a league with some fairly poor teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

McGrath.
    Problem solved

His inexperience showed in the end tho.

Perhaps if he was less inexperienced it would help...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Leinster bottled the advantage in the first half, but Connacht won fair and square. Played some good ball in the second half once they sorted out their discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

There's only one way to fix that.

#JusticeForLukeMcGrath

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

awec wrote: »
    Connacht fans enjoyed that anyway. :D

Oh hell yeah!!!

molloyjh wrote: »
    Winning is a habit, as is winning ugly. I've said before that kind of thing can be fleeting. If we don't sort our sh!t out then those games we were winning ugly last year will be games we'll lose this. I can't begin to describe how disgusted I am with that second half performance. Just not good enough for a side with the talent we had out there.

Welll done Connacht. You deserved that. A side on the up without question.

thanks a lot, good to have debated with you

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm physically ill. Of all the games to lose, the worst one is to lose in the Sportsground. This will haunt my dreams.

Bryan Byrne is better than Shane Delahunt.

Haha love the sore loser, it means we've won:D

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Poor game, great win. We've won 3 from 3 without playing particularly well in any of the games. That's a great position to be in.

And to build on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

connachta wrote: »
    Haha love the sore loser, it means we've won:D

photo.jpg

• Advertisement

This was a fantastic game of football in spite of the conditions.

While Leinster are capable of much much better, Connaught did exactly what they had to do to win and they did it well. The defence and tackle have massively improved, the scrummage is as solid as any in the Pro 12 the inter play in the 5/8's line is far better than it has been.

What impressed me most of all is the sheer character they have found. One year ago this would have been a 60 minute draw and a collapse in the last 20 minutes; this was fight fight fight even at the last when Leinster were setting up for the drop goal and the pushover on the final scrum. Connaught richly deserve this win and nobody can take that away from them. When they stop giving away loose ball and penalty kicks, this team will go a long way.

You made the perfect summary!

freyners wrote: »
    Im afraid to sober up now in case it was all a dream

Massive massive result especially with how the first 15 mins went. Survived at times but defended well

Marmion have got motm but buckley was the hero for me. Getting our scrum back on even terms to slightly on top was vital

It was so hard to explain to Leinster fans before the game, I guess they still don't believe that could have happened. Buckley has the international level, has to be with Wolfhound at least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

MayoForSam wrote: »
    What a break by Marmion!

Reminded me of the great Colin Patterson. He looks better and better every time I see him.
    molloyjh wrote: »
    I don't understand why though. What was said at half time? There weren't any changes and it all went downhill from the start of the second half.

Here is a copy of MOC's half time speech.
    Connacht have scored two tries in 160 min against 2 bottom half of the table teams. A combination of a narrow victory last week, and a big victory recently at home against a very weak Leinster has puffed up their confidence a great deal, but I would suspect that by half 9 tonight they will have a much better appreciation of how they stand. I hope they come out fighting and give a good game, but I think there is only one horse to back in this race, the one that has a devastating subs bench too up the intensity with 20 min left. I would suspect a points difference of more than 14.

Also craftily used by Armchaircoach whose position may be untenable and a new coach may be needed for the chair...:D:D

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Leinster bottled the advantage in the first half, but Connacht won fair and square. Played some good ball in the second half once they sorted out their discipline.

which is brand new for Connacht;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

Which he never said.

This is the quote from the IT but it was in the post match interview after the pro 12 final:
    “I’d love to bring in five or six but that’s never going to happen. I’m arguing with the IRFU every day to make sure we can win Europe, whether it happens or not I don’t know.”
    So Leinster need more foreign players?
    “We didn’t win (the Heineken Cup) so you’d have to say yes,” said the coach.

My issue with that quote was not so much that he wanted to bring in 5 or 6 foreign players, it's that he apparently took be job without researching it enough to know that that was never, ever going to happen.

What else would he say? We do need more/better players. Anyone who can't see that is deluding themselves.

I don't disagree with him in general - Id argue with the number a bit. I think we're mostly weak at 10/12/13 and that's what's really hurting Leinster. However it was never going to happen and he should know that. He's working within some well known parameters.

It's largely semantics, but I'd prefer if he suggested they need to work harder with academy or something. It's all empty platitudes either way but it was a needless dig at the only available squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Who would Leinster take from Connacht if they had their pick?

Marmion in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Swan Curry wrote: »
    there is one similarity between Kidney and O'Connor.Some people just flat out refuse to accept O'Connor has ever put a foot wrong.

Name a poster who has done that.

Advertisement