Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MATCH THREAD: Connacht vs Leinster, 19th Sept 2014 19:35, The Sportgroud, TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Synode wrote: »
    He has to take responsibility for the subs. And he made a balls of them

Apart from not taking Reddan off all the sub calls were correct to make. His hand was forced with Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

We got a lbp Joe's team got hammered ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭A-Train

OldRio wrote: »
    Trying to put some of the blame on the ref. Very poor form after that 'display'

No I didn't put anything on the ref, I said it was a terrible performance by Leinstet but there was a few calls that weren't the best Fanning getting pinged for offside, etc, I know it's the usual things that go for you or against you in a match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

SlickRic wrote: »
    Gopperth is killing me.

You can say that again. Such a lack of creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Tox56 wrote: »
    That's hardly true at all, we were thumped in the sports ground under Joe, but I agree the way out structure completely collapsed in the second half was unforgivable

Yes that we were, however there was no real repeat of that again with the exception of Clermont in the Palindrome. So far this season we have the examples of tonight and Glasgow a few weeks back. Once is excusable provided that lessons are learned from it and a repeat is avoided, twice is getting careless...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    On MOC me swiss. That's down to the players. Shocking accuracy again. We seemed to rest on our laurels in the 2nd half.

At what point does the buck stop with the coach though? Reddan was wrecked for ages before coming off. Ferg obviously wasn't fully fit yet Mick McGrarth never got a look in. Who sets the game plan? Who is responsible for the side as a whole?

While I don't subscribe to MOC out yet, these are questions that need to be asked and answered. There's f-all point in ignoring them. That performance was incredibly similar to countless ones last season. And loads of people tried saying everything weas fine last season because we were winning ugly. That can change very quickly and you're left with nothing. He needs to start turning things around fast because that was truly woeful. And the buck stops at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

well done Connacht - part of me was rooting for you at the end - leinster will get better , though minus BOD, Isa & Sexton we really miss that dazzle factor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

This was a fantastic game of football in spite of the conditions.

While Leinster are capable of much much better, Connaught did exactly what they had to do to win and they did it well. The defence and tackle have massively improved, the scrummage is as solid as any in the Pro 12 the inter play in the 5/8's line is far better than it has been.

What impressed me most of all is the sheer character they have found. One year ago this would have been a 60 minute draw and a collapse in the last 20 minutes; this was fight fight fight even at the last when Leinster were setting up for the drop goal and the pushover on the final scrum. Connaught richly deserve this win and nobody can take that away from them. When they stop giving away loose ball and penalty kicks, this team will go a long way.

Good man Pat. Put a smile on my face there. Really like that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Layer cake rte2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

MOC is Declan Kidney incarnate. Poorly timed subs and God awful tactics.
    As much as it pains me to say this, I'd rather Leinster loose a couple of games early this season, so we can be rid of him before the season ends.

On a more positive note, I'm delighted for Connacht. We've mugged them a couple of times of the years, so it's nice to see them finally seal one of these tight games.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster's pack was dominant and won enough good ball to put the team comfortably ahead. The fact that the backs couldn't do anything with that platform is a concern. Seems like they can only make a dent if the opposition stand off them. It was the same problem last season and in Schmidt's final year. The only difference is that under Joe there was accuracy and a discernible strategy. Can't see one under O'Connor.

Hagz wrote: »
    You can say that again. Such a lack of creativity.

Creativity wasn't his issue tonight. I actually thought in that regard he was quite good. The issue is his control. He took too much off the ball when things were slipping away from us. Instead of calling for the ball he needed to be making sure his back line was organised first. Often Madigan was missing because he himself was also taking on too much ball. Gopperth needed to calm things down and it's down to him what his 12 is up to. He also should've been in reddans ear to slow things down as our pack were tiring.

Madworld wrote: »
    As much as it pains me to say this, I'd rather Leinster loose a couple of games early this season, so we can be rid of him before the season ends.

On a more positive note, I'm delighted for Connacht. We've mugged them a couple of times of the years, so it's nice to see them finally seal one of these tight games.

Absolutely wouldn't happen. If we got rid of a coach for losing a couple of games we'd be absolutely toxic.

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is not a hope in hell that MOC will be going anywhere before the end of the season.

Clegg wrote: »
    Leinster's pack was dominant and won enough good ball to put the team comfortably ahead. The fact that the backs couldn't do anything with that platform is a concern. Seems like they can only make a dent if the opposition stand off them. It was the same problem last season and in Schmidt's final year. The only difference is that under Joe there was accuracy and a discernible strategy. Can't see one under O'Connor.

During the second half we started to seriously under resource our rucks and paid the price for it. Ball that had been quick and clean in the first half was slow and sloppy in the second.

And MOC says we were " a little bit inaccurate". We were more than that Matt. A lot more.

For me the issue was Macken. We badly missed Darce out there but by the time he came on the pack was spent and we barely got any possession from there on in. He doesn't add any distribution and aside from one or two line breaks he was very poor. He needs to learn how to attack an inside shoulder and create space for his back three. It's no coincidence that as soon as Darce came on the first carry he got he destroyed his opposite's inside shoulder.

molloyjh wrote: »
    During the second half we started to seriously under resource our rucks and paid the price for it. Ball that had been quick and clean in the first half was slow and sloppy in the second.

And MOC says we were " a little bit inaccurate". We were more than that Matt. A lot more.

He's hardly going to say "the boys were very inaccurate tonight" like, he also has a job to make sure he doesn't destroy their confidence also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

After the long summer break it feels just like last year. The better team on paper for nearly every team we play yet we huff and puff with the ball in tight while our backs have the look of we'll never get this ball this deep so why bother and end up like forwards lite

Long season ahead unless something changes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

He's hardly going to say "the boys were very inaccurate tonight" like, he also has a job to make sure he doesn't destroy their confidence also.
    Shhh the mob are lighting up the torches and sharpening the pitch forks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

To borrow a quote from a certain Welsh referee...

Not a chance he will be sacked before season's end. However I would like to hope that potential replacements are being earmarked for when his 2 year contract runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

I'm completely surprised that no one has mention Ruddock yet post game. Holy fúcking shít was he immense. It took at least 2 to 3 to take him down and regularly broke the first tackle. Even from a static start he made yards. He was injured in the 5th last phase i think and he still took up the ball with 2 defenders on back. He made a great turnover and slowed down ball well. He threw himself into every tackle and never gave up. Dom Ryan had a great first half as well with regards to carrying. His quick, effective, aggressive rucking was superb. Dont think he made a turnover but was still a stand out player for when he was on the pitch. These are pretty much the only positives from the game. The rest was a disgrace. The most damning statistic about Leinster under MOC is that Nakarawa made more offloads last season than Leinster did. Get the McGraths and Crosbie more fúcking game time for Christ's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

Well as long as he doesn't say something like "we need 5 or 6 new players"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Heaslip and Ruddock had good games. Carried well in the first and stood up to Connacht's resurgence in the second. Ruddock is a vital player now. We've been crying out for a player who can make yards in the tight and he's perfect for that. We've a very good pack now. It's the strength of the side. Lack of direction from 9 and 10 is the major problem. Outhalf will be solved next season, but there's a big problem brewing at scrum half. I'd kill for Conor Murray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Nice result for connacht, they need to be putting a few of these back to back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Zzippy wrote: »
    I am officially on the p1ss now! ðŸ˜

Think I may join you!

Delighted with the result, was hoping for a lbp at best. Leinster should have been out of sight in the first half. This game and last week are exactly the type of games we would have lost in the last few seasons. Hopefully we can keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There were people already drunk on the march to Buskers. What a night for the plucky youngsters from the west of Éire.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

For me the issue was Macken. We badly missed Darce out there but by the time he came on the pack was spent and we barely got any possession from there on in. He doesn't add any distribution and aside from one or two line breaks he was very poor. He needs to learn how to attack an inside shoulder and create space for his back three. It's no coincidence that as soon as Darce came on the first carry he got he destroyed his opposite's inside shoulder.

I wonder if Macken is up to it per se, TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Just doesn't look like the same quality team anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

but there's a big problem brewing at scrum half. I'd kill for Conor Murray.
    McGrath.
    Problem solved

Advertisement