Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Base price wrote: »
    Warning - following pic is of plain stock - my type :)
    I let these out yesterday onto the last bit of grazing for this year. They have access to a dry bedded shed and I've started giving them a nip of two thirds oats/one third barley daily.

I have seen the future and it's.........I have no words.......
    best of luck they are black and white lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I let these out yesterday onto the last bit of grazing for this year. They have access to a dry bedded shed and I've started giving them a nip of two thirds oats/one third barley daily.

My eyes my eyes:D

For gods sake think of the children:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

grassroot1 wrote: »
    I have seen the future and it's.........I have no words.......
    best of luck they are black and white lovely
    We used to buy in and rear between four and five hundred mostly FR, AAx and HEx sucks every Spring up till 2012 - some were sold to local farmers after weaning, some were sold the following year to farmers to fill their stocking rate for SFP and the rest were finished by ourselves as 24 month bull beef. It was a profitable enough business at the time albeit with a lot of time and work put into rearing that many calves. Every year since then we have reduced numbers due to increasing costs and decreasing returns. This year I reared 117 bull calves - FR, AAx, HEx and a few FRx. I sold all the AAx and HEx bar two whitehead bull calves that I kept and put onto a cow. The picture is the remaining calves of this years bunch - 26 FR and 3 FRx bull calves. I paid €40/h for three which were the most expensive.
    Edit - I wonder what return, if any they give going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Lovely stock you could show them to anyone. Will you bull them

I dunno what the plan is yet. They'll be there until next July anyway and I'll see how I'm fixed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Was giving my own a mineral drench from natural stockcare every few weeks and it put some shine and fleece on them. Thought it was very good. The ones I bough had spent a few weeks on the winterage.

Which one are you using?
    Stock boost or grow a drop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Would they need vitamin and minerals too?

Which one are you using?
    Stock boost or grow a drop?

The one in the link. Stockline. https://agridirect.ie/product/stockline-with-copper-iodine

Would they need vitamin and minerals too?
    All the calves got two Small Trace boluses in May/June this year. I've ordered more Small Trace boluses from our supplier. Over the years I prefer using the smaller boluses and gun on dairy bred stock until the get beyond yearlings, iykwim

Calf I had to section on the 17th of June. Fecker got laraingítis a month ago but seems to be coming around again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭High bike

Calf I had to section on the 17th of June. Fecker got laraingítis a month ago but seems to be coming around again.
    great hairy calf, ch x sa ?

• Advertisement

High bike wrote: »
    great hairy calf, ch x sa ?

No out of a handy little lim cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

3 springing heifer I bought last week. 1 Simmental, 1 limousine and 1 saler all due to easy calving limousine bull in jan/ feb

Limousine

Saler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

Saler

Always knew those salers were mad h**rs. Even a photo of one can't be fenced in!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Grueller wrote: »
    Always knew those salers were mad h**rs. Even a photo of one can't be fenced in!!!!!!

He was lying on his back when he took that photo. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Lovely quiet saler heifer.🀪🀪

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

My beef nuts brings all the boys to the yard and they're like there better than yours. Damn right there better than yours !!
    You have to see the funny side sometimes.

Did anyone go to the shorthorn sale in Roscommon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The TVR twins. Cow is fed up of them :D
    mmptpm0l.jpg

mALebAVl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

mmptpm0l.jpg

mALebAVl.jpg

Your suckler calves are very quiet if you can get this close in a field to take a photo.

Your suckler calves are very quiet if you can get this close in a field to take a photo.

Fairly quiet :D

https://twitter.com/LadyHaywire/status/1191746860962201600?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 29,223 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mmptpm0l.jpg

mALebAVl.jpg

Did your other cow calve yet?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did your other cow calve yet?

No, she's due the 8th dec. Panting a bit today, definitely under pressure whatever is in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Few of this years calves

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

All go here the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

All go here the last couple of days.

What you building? What kind of ties are they used in the shuttering? Years since we did concrete here.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What you building? What kind of ties are they used in the shuttering? Years since we did concrete here.

My guess is a silage pit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

haven't seen shuttering pan's that small in years, the bigger ones take all the work out of it.
    fair play

Advertisement