Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

High bike wrote: »
    What age is he 16 / 17 mts??

No just gone a year.

tanko wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting to see that.
    Very nice, what's the breeding there?

Think I'm going to much towards lim with the cows. Want to put a bit of size/bone/milk back into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Think I'm going to much towards lim with the cows. Want to put a bit of size/bone/milk back into them.

I've been doing a bit of the same the last few years, found it hard to keep milk and bone in the cows using Lims all the time. Have used Direct Debit (XCD) a good bit, easy calved and good quality off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

The latest addition.

Welcome to the dark side!
    Fine looking bull, anything iv seen out of glenfidich has a tiny head. Youd pick his offspring out a mile away. Best of luck with him, hope hes lucky for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Well wear LC hope he's lucky as a matter of interest would you not have gone the saler route to add milk and calving ability. Just I've always found the sim is a bloody big animal to carry and have never found em good on there feet. But again hope your fella is lucky.....not like my run with stock bulls. Some nice looking saler cows in tulla on donedeal looked like a nice herd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I wouldnt be a fan of simmental but thats an Extremely impresive bull, some size for his age

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Well wear LC hope he's lucky as a matter of interest would you not have gone the saler route to add milk and calving ability. Just I've always found the sim is a bloody big animal to carry and have never found em good on there feet. But again hope your fella is lucky.....not like my run with stock bulls. Some nice looking saler cows in tulla on donedeal looked like a nice herd.
    I don't like their temperament. We had sim bulls he for years when I was a young fella. Most of my better cows would be going back to daughters of them. Is your lad any bit better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Glorious day outside so let out two cows & calves with the bull. He thinks it's the best day ever :pac:

XoYLTHfh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Bavardage x Sympa bull. He's still not a year old but showing a bit of style about him. 5 stars for both maternal and terminal.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

Bavardage x Sympa bull. He's still not a year old but showing a bit of style about him. 5 stars for both maternal and terminal.
    smashing calf Patsy, I went the same cross last year but got a heifer.Shes just coming 12 mats now nice heiferer but not as stylish as that lad, much lighter colour too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Long hair always looks well too..

Few of this years calves from the new bull, very happy with him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Few of this years calves from the new bull, very happy with him

That first cow is just savage. They're not registered, if I remember right?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

That first cow is just savage. They're not registered, if I remember right?

Ah I register about half of them.
    Shes a fair tank alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Got a cow (1st calver) which is a well shaped animal and came to us as an in-calf heifer.
    During last summer she didn't hold to the bull. Over the winter she has been well foddered and got ration and pre calver minerals as she was on slats with in calf cows. Recently, I got a prid for her and at the end of the 7 days put her with the bull. And there was nothing - no interest.

She calved unassisted and without difficulty. Before I cull her is there anything that I can do to see if this can be replaced. Despite her being a good cow otherwise, there is no point carrying on cows that won't hold.

Would a vet inspection be able to determine why she is not holding or going into heat?

Got a cow (1st calver) which is a well shaped animal and came to us as an in-calf heifer.
    During last summer she didn't hold to the bull. Over the winter she has been well foddered and got ration and pre calver minerals as she was on slats with in calf cows. Recently, I got a prid for her and at the end of the 7 days put her with the bull. And there was nothing - no interest.

She calved unassisted and without difficulty. Before I cull her is there anything that I can do to see if this can be replaced. Despite her being a good cow otherwise, there is no point carrying on cows that won't hold.

Would a vet inspection be able to determine why she is not holding or going into heat?

With the PRID she should have been bulling on day 10, was she?

She must be mud fat at this stage and fit to kill.
    She should have went in calf nine months ago, it's a bit late to be investigating what's wrong with her now. Scanning her is probably the best way to find out what's wrong, whether it's worth doing is another thing.

tanko wrote: »
    With the PRID she should have been bulling on day 10, was she?

She must be mud fat at this stage and fit to kill.
    She should have went in calf nine months ago, it's a bit late to be investigating what's wrong with her now. Scanning her is probably the best way to find out what's wrong, whether it's worth doing is another thing.
    The instructions I had said day 8. I've not used these for a few years now so thought something went wrong.
    This is day 9 and she is coming on now. Is on slats with bull. Was scanned for calf in Jan I think. Scanner mentioned no issues with internals that he could see. Decided not to sell at the time as felt there was a chance she could be saved and worth another go before letting her go fat.

Get a good scanner to have a look. Sounds like a cyst on her ovaries

Get a good scanner to have a look. Sounds like a cyst on her ovaries

Treatable or costly?
    Edit: Just read there that the prid might have resolved the cyst.

Treatable or costly?
    Edit: Just read there that the prid might have resolved the cyst.

It might have but doubtful. If it is a cyst the scanner will just pop it, then you do a prid/estrumate program then bull the cow

• Advertisement

13 month old Loyal bull I sold today. Got another bull calf by Loyal out of a ZXT heifer this year & looks like he has the makings of a nice bull too.

bKSk73ch.jpg

13 month old Loyal bull I sold today. Got another bull calf by Loyal out of a ZXT heifer this year & looks like he has the makings of a nice bull too.

bKSk73ch.jpg
    fine animal for his age, what weight his he??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

bKSk73ch.jpg

What's loyal heifers like. Are they suitable for breeding

I'd say he was around 600kg. Can't lift him like the little heifer so he's definitely more than 20kg :D He's a brother of that wee one we had born- same cow anyway.
    Not had any Loyal heifers so can't say as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Gillespy

PJ is a twitter sensation! Your pictures of him playing dead are hilarious. :D

Gillespy wrote: »
    PJ is a twitter sensation! Your pictures of him playing dead are hilarious. :D

I actually felt I had to warn the new buyer about that.....he's scared the bejaysus out of me on so many occasions. Especially the day he fell asleep halfway into the hedge :pac:

bKSk73ch.jpg
    i see bova have Loyal straws,how much are they??

High bike wrote: »
    i see bova have Loyal straws,how much are they??

Can't tell you, our AI man does call out, AI & straw for 30. I'm sure somebody knows!

Loyal straws are €10 each or 25 straws for €200.

Gamin (ZGM) is the same.

• Advertisement

The titchy little heifer is doing mighty! Here's her with a 4 week old Cloughbrack Navarone boy.

uHX39C5h.jpg

Advertisement