Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Only a day old, but enough cop on to find a snug place away from Lorenzo

Good hiding place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭50HX

More sense than some of those clowns out walking by the sea in Galway right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

====================================

New life , always a great feeling . A fine looking calf too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Nice and snug all right, what breeding is he/she patsy?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Panch18 wrote: »
    We bought in some black baldies a few years ago - they were light when bought but turned into absolutely super cattle and were all killed by end of june - and they never saw a nut.

When you take in the fact that you'd have a hardy cow as well that would be my choice of breed if i was to do a suckler to beef enterprise i think
    ===============================

What are Black baldies ? A Angus ?
    Am always looking for New Blood to improve our sucklers .
    Thanks. P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Track9 wrote: »

Thanks. P

Whitehead crossed with an angus bull

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Nice and snug all right, what breeding is he/she patsy?

She was meant to be by on-dit but didn't hold. I think she went in-calf to my stock bull but I'll have to genotype to confirm.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Whitehead crossed with an angus bull

So Hereford X Angus crossed back to an Angus bull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Muckit wrote: »
    So Hereford X Angus crossed back to an Angus bull?

Typically you can have either a AA bull on a WH cow or a WH bull on an Angus cow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Track9 wrote: »

Thanks. P

Do a google search on Robert+Parker+Nuffield+scholar he's been breeding them for a long time. It's basically switching bulls every generation, if a cow is by a hereford bull she is mated to an angus, then the next generation a hereford bull is used.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Calving 2019 off to a surprising start :pac:

D1IPQgFXcAE38AQ.jpg
    This lad can be weaned next month :pac: JKS bull. Tested the jack so he did!!

PZl7CLrl.jpg

Away we go to 2019 sales again!

https://twitter.com/LadyHaywire/status/1180166898518036481

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've asked before about the slatmats. Is there any benefit in terms of weight gains or even cleanliness?

I've asked before about the slatmats. Is there any benefit in terms of weight gains or even cleanliness?

I don't have any answer to that but the few mights we had them in with wet weather, they had access to the whole shed. None chose to lie on the bare slates, majority (like 95%!!) on two mats) & remainder on the lying area. Was an eye opener for me.
    So cow happiness is up for one, hence her thrive & gain. But I do find them harder to clean.

https://twitter.com/LadyHaywire/status/1180452795725549571?s=19

Can't believe he got first!!!
    Twins were 305 & 310 kg. Bull went 810, heifer 740.
    All in all a great day!! The man who came up from Wexford for my calf has gone home with him too so he's a happy camper as well :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Well done Lady H, it's always nice to get some recognition for your continued efforts. What was the trade like today in general? A good bull calf at any weight up to 350kg were a flying trade last night imo, €3 a kilo and over. The more average bull calf or most types of heifers were an easier trade in comparison. There was definitely more shipping activity for the middle​ of the road bull weanling compared to the previous week.

Well done Lady H, it's always nice to get some recognition for your continued efforts. What was the trade like today in general? A good bull calf at any weight up to 350kg were a flying trade last night imo, €3 a kilo and over. The more average bull calf or most types of heifers were an easier trade in comparison. There was definitely more shipping activity for the middle​ of the road bull weanling compared to the previous week.

Trade seemed good for the lighter ones alright, didn't get to watch much of the heifers as everywhere I went, I seemed to be chatting!! (Nek, I'm looking at you:p:D)
    I haven't had any in the show/sale in Carrigallen before so I am well chuffed with my rosette! I didn't think the champion should have been champion either, an opinion a lot of folk seemed to share. The other black calf which made 13-something was nicer.

Well done. Great to see all the work and effort paying off for you.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Trade seemed good for the lighter ones alright, didn't get to watch much of the heifers as everywhere I went, I seemed to be chatting!! (Nek, I'm looking at you:p:D)
    I haven't had any in the show/sale in Carrigallen before so I am well chuffed with my rosette! I didn't think the champion should have been champion either, an opinion a lot of folk seemed to share. The other black calf which made 13-something was nicer.

The lighter calf is definitely in more demand, I saw a few heavy bulls (450kg +) sold lately at either side of €2 a kilo and the double decker that came to collect them was well loaded with similar stock. There was some great CHx and LMx type bulls on it from some other town and according to the buyer there only averaging €2.09 a kilo across the board.
    I meant to go someplace today seeing as it rained nearly non stop but I didn't get around too it. I haven't been in Carrigallen in ages and I think Dowra had a show today as well. As regards the judging there is always a certain amount of politics involved although you'll never please everyone either. I often gave a hand sorting the stock for judging and sticking on the rosette's afterwards, the same few lads would be complaining all the time and you'd learn to ignore them after awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Congrats. What breeding is in him? Sorry see it in pic. What is mother

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Congrats. What breeding is in him?

• Advertisement

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Congrats. What breeding is in him?

He's off JKS the blue, mother is a red limousin off a simmental cow, hence his bad colour. Prob some CH & Friesian in there too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

He's off JKS the blue, mother is a red limousin off a simmental cow, hence his bad colour. Prob some CH & Friesian in there too :pac:

The Freisian on him really showed alright!!:D

The Freisian on him really showed alright!!:D

:cool:
    The grand-dam came in the back of our old Ford, Nana had gone in to town to buy a few groceries and while she was in the drapers my Grandfather went off to Maxwell's dairy farm & bought two calves :D So would probably have been a mix of BrFr somewhere in the original cow, crossed with a Sim bull.
    This would be roughly 30 years ago so I just remember her as a heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just noticed this as the cows were coming in this evening.
    I saw that some of the dung pats were gone through by rooks, etc. So I dug away some of the dung to reveal these little tunnels underneath the pat.
    And if you don't know what they are already. They are tunnels going down beneath the pat made by dung beetle larvae.

20191006-180158.jpg

(I wonder should be payments be made to farmers who have these buggers? Just like the corncrake guys..) :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Pics from a bit of a walk on the carlow side of the Blackstairs.

20191006-170707.jpg

20191006-170046.jpg

20191006-164526.jpg

Above that row of Scots pine there's the remains of a dwelling house. There's also the remains of ditches fencing in that part of the mountain into various fields.
    And people nowadays think they have a hard life!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

A few heifers. Some are bought and some are my own.

They have a great hairdresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

They have a great hairdresser.

Was giving my own a mineral drench from natural stockcare every few weeks and it put some shine and fleece on them. Thought it was very good. The ones I bough had spent a few weeks on the winterage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Lovely stock you could show them to anyone. Will you bull them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Warning - following pic is of plain stock - my type :)
    I let these out yesterday onto the last bit of grazing for this year. They have access to a dry bedded shed and I've started giving them a nip of two thirds oats/one third barley daily.

Advertisement