Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

What you building? What kind of ties are they used in the shuttering? Years since we did concrete here.

Cattle crush. Just normal snap ties.

Dozer1 wrote: »
    haven't seen shuttering pan's that small in years, the bigger ones take all the work out of it.
    fair play

They are a bit labour intensive alright. A friend bought a heap of them for small money. Grand for doing smallish bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Justjens

Cattle crush. Just normal snap ties.

For a job like that I cut oval white plastic conduit in a chopsaw to slide over the snap ties.....then you can reuse the ties :)

Justjens wrote: »
    For a job like that I cut oval white plastic conduit in a chopsaw to slide over the snap ties.....then you can reuse the ties :)

We were going to do that but local place had no conduit when I went to get it. Didn't want to lose a day or 2 for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

The TVR twins. Cow is fed up of them :D
    mmptpm0l.jpg

mALebAVl.jpg

Have twin TVR Cows out of a Charlois cow. Very quiet cows.... bit cheeky at times. Put ZAG in to one of them... as they say TVR has little milk. She threw him out there 5mths ago. Was plain enough initally but the calf has turned into a lovely bit of stuff now....
    Must get a pic of him nd stick it up....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

First calf out of our last bull we sold. Massive shoulders, expected a bull. Nope, female!:eek:
    No more twins (thanks feck)

YmkGG2Jl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

First calf out of our last bull we sold. Massive shoulders, expected a bull. Nope, female!:eek:
    No more twins (thanks feck)

Was that the cow you were expecting to have twins?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mini Noo?

Was that the cow you were expecting to have twins?

Assumed she would as she was so heavy but was thankfully incorrect!
    Mini Noo?

Mini Noo's calf, now named Noodle:D:D:D

This is incredible;

Rogers Ranch Gelbvieh and Stockdogs. Unbelievably well trained!

https://twitter.com/HayMapApp/status/1205000046900580353

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Image of her Daddy. First time Im sorry I sold a bull, have had much worse calves off AI, off better cows. :pac:

https://twitter.com/LadyHaywire/status/1206138705783726081

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Help settle an argument, had a cow due to calve on new years day and she was sick this morning at 7am which made the father assume she'd calve in the next hour or two. I checked on her at 10am and she was lying down chewing the cud with no intention of calving, no blister passed either. Ended up tying her up and pulling out the calf myself with ropes, had to pop the blister first to get at the calf. Everything went fine, heifer calf who was up suckling within the hour.

My question is should I have done it or should I have waited? How long does a typical 'sickness' last in cows before calving actually starts? Cow is PB Saler who's on her 6th calve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Help settle an argument, had a cow due to calve on new years day and she was sick this morning at 7am which made the father assume she'd calve in the next hour or two. I checked on her at 10am and she was lying down chewing the cud with no intention of calving, no blister passed either. Ended up tying her up and pulling out the calf myself with ropes, had to pop the blister first to get at the calf. Everything went fine, heifer calf who was up suckling within the hour.

My question is should I have done it or should I have waited? How long does a typical 'sickness' last in cows before calving actually starts? Cow is PB Saler who's on her 6th calve.

You were dead right to get the calf out. I don't see why there would be an argument over it, once the calf and cow are ok everyone involved should be happy:).
    Sometimes i see cows start to calve and then just lie down and almost forget to get on with it. Some cows can be lazy especially if they're a bit fat or the calf is big. If calving goes on too long it can be bad news for the calf.
    Calving cows isn't an exact science, ive seen well over over a thousand calvings here and i'd still be debating when to intervene sometimes.

tanko wrote: »
    You were dead right to get the calf out. I don't see why there would be an argument over it, once the calf and cow are ok everyone involved should be happy:).
    Sometimes i see cows start to calve and then just lie down and almost forget to get on with it. Some cows can be lazy especially if they're a bit fat or the calf is big. If calving goes on too long it can be bad news for the calf.
    Calving cows isn't an exact science, ive seen well over over a thousand calvings here and i'd still be debating when to intervene sometimes.

Ya we're glad to have done it now alright. The cow is now kind of pushing as if she's ready to calve now which is puzzling us. We think it's like a delayed reaction to calving. Had a cow abort it's uterus before but that was an hour after calving so we don't think that's the issue.

Ya we're glad to have done it now alright. The cow is now kind of pushing as if she's ready to calve now which is puzzling us. We think it's like a delayed reaction to calving. Had a cow abort it's uterus before but that was an hour after calving so we don't think that's the issue.

There's hardly another one in there?

If she's really milky I'd have been thinking of lazy calving due to subclinical Milk fever but odd to first show it at her age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭50HX

I'm probably on my own here but if she started sickness at 7 i'd be waitin away for some sign of progress. ..never a fan of interfering too early esp with no blister passed..

As posted already calving isn't an exact science

Have cows here that would chew the cud away in early stages of sickness

Anyway glad it worked out well

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

5 day old cullard heifer calf out of simmental cow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

50HX wrote: »
    I'm probably on my own here but if she started sickness at 7 i'd be waitin away for some sign of progress. ..never a fan of interfering too early esp with no blister passed..

As posted already calving isn't an exact science

Have cows here that would chew the cud away in early stages of sickness

Anyway glad it worked out well

i had one the same as you. Lying down late in the day, time up, no sign of blister coming no sign of any real change. Udder filled rapidly at the end. Thinking she was going to put out the blister. Couldn't see the bones moving the bones on her as she was a strong muscle, cow but not fat, about 11 years old. No sign of pushing or waters even appearing
    Saw her at 2am no move,, saw before 6am and found cow calved, womb/vessel out and calf dead.

I'm guessing the calf was dead before calving but only guessing or it's possible she fell on it, Vet had to put her down as it was obvious she wasn't going to recover. some evidence of nerve damage. Caw was an easy calver bull and she popped it our herself.

So, I think would be better to interfere if you feel she isn't going to do it her self but that's a risk. My regret was not calling out the vet at 11pm. Calling the Vet at 6am was to put the cow down.

Thanks all for the replies. She stopped this phantom pushing as the day went on and by the next morning it was as good as gone. Cow and calf are doing fine now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

25B97D36-ADF8-4BBA-A3B7-87F688458C80.jpeg

These ladies are not overly bothered by the bad weather. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Parishlad wrote: »
    25B97D36-ADF8-4BBA-A3B7-87F688458C80.jpeg

These ladies are not overly bothered by the bad weather. 😀

Lad that is some shed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Anyone see the photos of the pig farm in Co Antrim which was taken over by the animal rights protesters?

Jesus! The person running that farm should be strung up. Dead animals being eaten by others, covered in slurry, large open sores, pens deep in slurry.

The person should lose their right to farm animals. It really doesn't help farmers when savages like this are on the scene. These guys will get the headlines and we all get tarred with the same brush. The decent farms won't make the national press, but the abusers do.

Photos can be seen on Facebook - Clif Grant

Never knew pigs would eat each other alive. Nasty feckers.

https://www.facebook.com/cliff.grant.501

Never knew pigs would eat each other alive. Nasty feckers.

https://www.facebook.com/cliff.grant.501

In fairness what are they supposed to do when they're starving to death.
    Humans would do the same if we were starving.

tanko wrote: »
    In fairness what are they supposed to do when they're starving to death.
    Humans would do the same if we were starving.

Look at the videos further down. Pigs look well fed to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Quare set up here.
    Elephant grass and a thing a ma jig.

20200118-101645.jpg

20200118-101532.jpg

20200118-101746.jpg

I'm waiting on plumbing parts for the thing a ma jig and then those two bales will magically fit into the thing a ma jig.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Grazon

Quare set up here.
    Elephant grass and a thing a ma jig.

20200118-101645.jpg

20200118-101532.jpg

20200118-101746.jpg

I'm waiting on plumbing parts for the thing a ma jig and then those two bales will magically fit into the thing a ma jig.

What's the thing a ma jig

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Grazon wrote: »
    What's the thing a ma jig

A pyramid biochar flame cap kiln with euro brackets for a tractor front end loader with plumbed quenching from underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A pyramid biochar flame cap kiln with euro brackets for a tractor front end loader with plumbed quenching from underneath.

Ha, you got there just before me:D

Advertisement