Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vikings on RTE?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It has to be, the number of people talking about how gruesome, bloody and excessive it is is majorly at odds with what the TV show was like in its original broadcast.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I started watching this on the RTE Player a few weeks ago. Netflix has me spoilt as waiting a whole week for another episode is tough :D

I am really enjoying it though I must say. The episode where they raided the monastery I found quite violent and shocking, then I copped myself on - they are the Vikings, of course it's going to be like this :D I am delighted that there is already a second season to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Not long now for series 2 of Vikings!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

The_Mask wrote: »
    Not long now for series 2 of Vikings!

I think you are posting in the wrong thread.

Vikings [History Channel - US] [** Spoilers **]

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Saw a clip of tonights episode, looks like it will be a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

jenjenten wrote: »
    can anyone say if the rte version is unedited?....the US History channel version was heavily edited, which became apparent with the blu-ray release....anyone confirm?

After sundays episode id doubt it. Lots of blood and even full nudity which you hardly see on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

I'm enjoying it and it leaves me wishing there was more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Loving Vikings. Didn't think I would like it but I love all the characters in it - very brutal though but well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

squonk wrote: »
    The Vikings weren't known for their negotiation skills so I'm happy enough to see the brutality portrayed as it is. Like it or not, that happened. :).

Just after watching S02E01.
    Great opening episode though. The battle was epic!

Guess there is no need for the rest of us to watch it now! Cheers!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they sure did love their jiggy jiggy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Dovies wrote: »
    Guess there is no need for the rest of us to watch it now! Cheers!! :mad:

Don't quote spoilers :eek:.

Although in fairness to Squonk, he didn't give away any of the plot.

Just said there was more of the same to look forward to really.

I'm really enjoying Vikings. Looking forward to Series Two !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Enjoying it and seems to be fairly authentic. Not a horned helmet in sight but I never realised they had such wonderful dentistry back then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

ollaetta wrote: »
    Enjoying it and seems to be fairly authentic. Not a horned helmet in sight but I never realised they had such wonderful dentistry back then. :rolleyes:

The little bearded guy who reminds me of Gimli from lord of the rings is finally gone, finally! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

jenjenten wrote: »
    can anyone say if the rte version is unedited?....the US History channel version was heavily edited, which became apparent with the blu-ray release....anyone confirm?

After last week's episode,I can confirm,RTE are showing the unedited version.

The reason I know this is because of the sacrifice scene. In the History channel version, it is heavily cut,not showing the slave's death or any blood quickly cutting to her body being carried away to the ship.

In which case,I am looking forward to viewing the rest of them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Burky126 wrote: »

Definatly. I sat me Mam down to see it, thinking it was fine after the net version. She told me it was very bloody.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

the battle scenes in this are brilliant, up there with any motion picture..Braveheart, Gladiator etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

philstar wrote: »
    the battle scenes in this are brilliant, up there with any motion picture..Braveheart, Gladiator etc
    Id agree if there were about X10 times more people on screen, as it is, its a bit... lame.

Thargor wrote: »
    Id agree if there were about X10 times more people on screen, as it is, its a bit... lame.

That might be due to money though, I imagine they don't have millions of euro at their disposal to make it like Braveheart.

It's probably more realistic as well, if they were attacking small villages and monasteries then the numbers involved in the fighting would be smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

That might be due to money though, I imagine they don't have millions of euro at their disposal to make it like Braveheart.

It's probably more realistic as well, if they were attacking small villages and monasteries then the numbers involved in the fighting would be smaller.

This is true...the Vikings did not attack in casts of thousands and they were called raiding parties for a reason. You've got to look at this in a Love/Hate context. They were gangsters out on the rob....(yes, highly cultured, farmers at heart etc., burn a book). A thousand guys turning up at one little monastery would mean splitting the goods so many ways. A very big boat. And lots of arguments on the way. 100 of that lot would have trouble making it out of the fjord without falling out over who raped the other lads sheep. And then an argument over who had to sacrifice the said sheep. And we haven't even started on the goats yet.

Can anyone tell me if the History channel version is edited. I ve read a few critics reviews describe season two as being graphic but Im not convinced?!

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »

Viking raiding parties mostly targeted monasteries or small villages close to coastal areas. They surprised targets by jumping from their boats once they hit the shore and quickly overpowering anyone before they could defend themselves. If there was 1000s of Vikings this attack plan would not have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

The_Mask wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the History channel version is edited. I ve read a few critics reviews describe season two as being graphic but Im not convinced?!
    Burky126 wrote: »

The reason I know this is because of the sacrifice scene. In the History channel version, it is heavily cut,not showing the slave's death or any blood quickly cutting to her body being carried away to the ship.

In which case,I am looking forward to viewing the rest of them now!

Saw a clip from season 2 on FB, looks like it will be a cracker as well, hopefully it won't be too long before RTE get it on our screens.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just realised this is on tonight - wasn't sure with the bank holiday if it was or not. Nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

miamee wrote: »
    Just realised this is on tonight - wasn't sure with the bank holiday if it was or not. Nice :)

Shame on you . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Pity Leif had to sacrifice himself over the priest. He was a good warrior
    I missed loads of episodes because of my upc stopped working for while and they only sorted it two week ago. Where can I watch the episodes I missed??

The Earls daughter seems to have taken a shine to the priest, it's a step up from the last guy she got jiggy jiggy with anyway.

Yeah Leif was a good character, pity they got rid of him.

Pity Leif had to sacrifice himself over the priest. He was a good warrior
    I missed loads of episodes because of my upc stopped working for while and they only sorted it two week ago. Where can I watch the episodes I missed??
    The last 3 episodes are still on the RTE player, not sure where you can get earlier ones than that though: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10263526/
    The Earls daughter seems to have taken a shine to the priest, it's a step up from the last guy she got jiggy jiggy with anyway.

Yeah Leif was a good character, pity they got rid of him.
    I didn't even realise that was her :o Must pay closer attention!
    Shame about Leif alright, I thought there might be some storylines involving him later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is the whole worshipping gods & sacrificing humans accurate did they really do this??

• Advertisement

What did ye think of last nights episode?

Was ok , thought considering it was the finale that there would have been a bit more happening though.

Felt bad for the monk though, he shows an interest in a woman and she dies.

Advertisement