Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vikings on RTE?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Highly recommend this series. Anyone know when the second series will be shown in Merica.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Starting Feb 27th so I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Looking forward to this, hopefully it will be as good as people say it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Well worth a watch. Don't do what I did initially and give up half way through episode one. It is a little slow to begin but then it doesn't stop. Season two starts in the US next month so you're in for a good trip (bring seasickness tablets if you're got them).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ligerleo

Glad to see RTE are showing this, been wanting to see this for some time now. Will look forward to watching this next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

especially considering it was partly filmed here and uses a lot of Irish actors

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wrap it up

Skerries wrote: »
    especially considering it was partly filmed here and uses a lot of Irish actors

Just to correct you on that.
    100% of vikings is actually shot in Ireland using Irish crew.
    Int: Ashford studios
    Ext: all over the east coast mainly.
    Enjoy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Wrap it up wrote: »
    Just to correct you on that.
    100% of vikings is actually shot in Ireland using Irish crew.
    Int: Ashford studios
    Ext: all over the east coast mainly.
    Enjoy...

any figure on how much they spend per season in Ireland?....are they getting good tax breaks here?

jenjenten wrote: »
    any figure on how much they spend per season in Ireland?....are they getting good tax breaks here?

Yup...even the writer is quoted in the Sunday Times this week (Culture section) as saying the tax breaks were a huge factor. In the same article he mentions he wants to continue until our not so hairy friends discover America.
    The spend is Tudor sizable - from extras to cast and crew, it keeps the indiginous talent in steady work for at least three months a year.
    Any fjords / unique to Scandanavia things you see are stock footage or CGI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Yup...even the writer is quoted in the Sunday Times this week (Culture section) as saying the tax breaks were a huge factor. In the same article he mentions he wants to continue until our not so hairy friends discover America.
    The spend is Tudor sizable - from extras to cast and crew, it keeps the indiginous talent in steady work for at least three months a year.

so about 20 million euro then, not too shabby.

• Advertisement

jenjenten wrote: »
    so about 20 million euro then, not too shabby.

Yeah, its a few million anyway. Vikings and Game of Thrones up north is providing the bread and butter to keep smaller local stuff on its feet. Ripper Street was giving a dig in as well until it got axed. B'stards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wrap it up

Yes:
    On the vikings production upwards of 35 to 40 million is spent in Ireland each season alone and employs around 400 people for around 6 months.
    I'm one of them :-) (for many years)
    The section 481 tax break is very important to our industry in Ireland and is responsible for injection hundreds of millions of euro into the Irish economy each year as well as supporting thousands of jobs.
    Enjoy the show!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Looked ok in the trailers, (but then so did Amber).

Stars Gaybo the actor. Filmed here.

Just started - Worth a look.

EDIT :

Only just found out that this has been seen by others before.

So please NO SPOILERS or opinions based on the complete series.

Cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

A mate of mine done some extras work on this so watching it to see can i spot his fat head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

This the same Vikings http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Watched it about a year ago, it's ok. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Really liked this when I watched it almost a year ago. Looking forward to season 2 in February.

Here is some info on the legend
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnar_Lodbrok

Its damn good !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Lapin wrote: »
    Its damn good !

Looks likely that Gabriel Byrne's character will get up to some evil in the next installment. :D

Solid start to the series I thought.

Jaysus that's one fine looking woman Ragnar has for a wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I've seen about 7 episodes, it's not bad, bit of a poor man's GOT. Definitely done on a budget. Yer man Ragnar is the spitting image of Jax from Sons of Anarchy.

The abrupt editing between scenes is a bit off-putting (that could just be the ads edited out of the version I saw :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Glad to see this finally getting some airtime on Irish television! A great series that will hopefully see their audience grow once Series 2 gathers pace.

For those on the fence,stick with it as it does get going! (and I'm not just saying that as an extra on the set. :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

where exactly did the vikings come from??

denmark, sweden or both??

too lazy to look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

fryup wrote: »
    where exactly did the vikings come from??

denmark, sweden or both??

too lazy to look it up

Where did the Vikings come from?

The Vikings came from the countries which we know now as Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

We refer to the area that these countries are located as Scandinavia.

The Vikings lived mainly along the coastlines of these countries or along the rivers which ran into the seas. These are the Vikings that left their lands to explore, invade and settle in other lands,

Some Vikings did live further inland but, like most settlements and villages, they were often located near to rivers. These Vikings also explored and traded with other tribes and peoples as far as Russia.

I wonder will the series include the Viking journeys to Canada?

That would make for exciting television, seeing their interaction with the Indians.

I wonder will the series include the Viking journeys to Canada?

That would make for exciting television, seeing their interaction with the Indians.

The writer has said on record he's willing to go there if the audience will follow. It would involve multiple generations but like he said in the interview I read "luckily they have lots of kids".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I missed this. Does anyone know if episode 1 is repeated anywhere?

I missed this. Does anyone know if episode 1 is repeated anywhere?

Should be on RTE Player.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Looks likely that Gabriel Byrne's character will get up to some evil in the next installment. :D

Whats he up to letting his missus shag around ?

EDIT:

Just copped his logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Those Viking women weren't to be messed with...

Advertisement