Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I reckon Synode knows about as much about EDM as I do :)

You deserve a wet fish in the head for using the term EDM :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Synode wrote: »
    You deserve a wet fish in the head for using the term EDM :pac:

Well I did imply I knew nothing of it. Why, what's wrong with using that? I was trying to be hip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

edm is americans covered in glitter and vomit

Well I did imply I knew nothing of it. Why, what's wrong with using that? I was trying to be hip.

Sorry I was a bit harsh. EDM is an American term that's become popular in the last few years. They use it as though Dance music is something new that they've discovered recently and hasn't in fact been around for 30 years +. Ironic considering the origins can indeed be traced to the USA in the 70s and 80s. But it was largely ignored by its population back then and only found mass appeal when it and its main contributors made their way to Europe in the late 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

My god I did not know that. Was only there twice 2008 & 2009.

Where's the rave in the woods on the 2014 sitemap?

The Salty dog is at the top corner of Oscar Wilde, RMBA/rave in the woods is diagonally opposite, it's where the main entrance arrow is pointing on the map.

A few minutes walk, but you're unlikely to hear RMBA from the salty dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Salty dog and rave in the woods are a large distance apart!
    Don't remember a huge amount of techno?
    http://youtu.be/qHbqilr3z0U

Think it was all psytrance that year, not really my cup of tea but at least the people who were there knew the score..

Sorry I was a bit harsh. EDM is an American term that's become popular in the last few years. They use it as though Dance music is something new that they've discovered recently and hasn't in fact been around for 30 years +. Ironic considering the origins can indeed be traced to the USA in the 70s and 80s. But it was largely ignored by its population back then and only found mass appeal when it and its main contributors made their way to Europe in the late 80s

Jaysus. So what should a pre-novice like me use to cover all knob-twiddling?

Jaysus. So what should a pre-novice like me use to cover all knob-twiddling?

Assuming you're talking about music (:pac:) I'd say Dance music/Electronic music covers it. Use EDM at your peril or expect dirty looks and raised eyebrows from the veterans

Assuming you're talking about music (:pac:) I'd say Dance music/Electronic music covers it. Use EDM at your peril or expect dirty looks and raised eyebrows from the veterans

Maybe I'll just use "knob-twiddling" to ensure those dirty looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

EDM is better than IDM anyway, I'm glad that bollix seems to have died off recently.

Only dawning on me this week that I need to sort a tent out pretty soon, anywhere doing offers? On a quick glance around the usual sites prices seem higher than previous years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I didn't think about a tent either must sort out one of those soon

or one of these

drFT8yy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Has anybody stayed in the be your environment eco campsite before? Do they issue you with a different wristband to come and go from the campsite or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Is Todd Terry Todd Terje?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

Is Todd Terry Todd Terje?

Its Mr Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭budgemook

maximoose wrote: »
    EDM is better than IDM anyway, I'm glad that bollix seems to have died off recently.

Only dawning on me this week that I need to sort a tent out pretty soon, anywhere doing offers? On a quick glance around the usual sites prices seem higher than previous years.

Had to look up IDM.

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

Peterd66 wrote: »
    Will have spare camper van ticket coming to me. General camper not family. Going for face value to first to PM me. Will have to be collected in Raheny or Citywest.
    Peter
    Ticket gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Todd Terry would be gas. Completely forgot he existed, the quintessentially 90s-sounding DJ.
    New Jackson will be great, love his stuff.
    Might check out Krystal Klear if I'm still awake by that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Don't forget about Paul Woolford as well. Amazing DJ that always plays a ridiculously good set every time I seen him in Ireland. Seen him in around paddys day this year. Don't let the title of the track put you off, I honestly thought he was joking when he first uploaded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I didn't think about a tent either must sort out one of those soon

or one of these

drFT8yy.jpg

Thats the 'get un/lucky' tent!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Peterd66 wrote: »
    Will have spare camper van ticket coming to me. General camper not family. Going for face value to first to PM me. Will have to be collected in Raheny or Citywest.
    Peter

I applaud you for selling at face value. Star Man. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

gandalfio wrote: »
    Has anybody stayed in the be your environment eco campsite before? Do they issue you with a different wristband to come and go from the campsite or not?

I have and they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

maximoose wrote: »

Least IDM kind of meant something, that EDM bullsh1t is nothing more than yanks discovering Electronic music 20 years after everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

nocoverart wrote: »

Least IDM kind of meant something, that EDM bullsh1t is nothing more than yanks discovering Electronic music 20 years after everybody else.

Yanks invented it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Yanks invented it.

Ah yeah, I know. EDM is really nothing more than a generic term to describe what is effectively the most utter sh1te dance music to come out of the U.S, basically it's a 'Pop Arstist' with Beats headphones on. IDM on the other hand might be a stupid tag but personally some of my favourite artists have come under that banner. Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada and Squarepusher... now that is good fooking music!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

nocoverart wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I know. EDM is really nothing more than a generic term to describe what is effectively the most utter sh1te dance music to come out of the U.S, basically it's a 'Pop Arstist' with Beats headphones on. IDM on the other hand might be a stupid tag but personally some of my favourite artists have come under that banner. Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada and Squarepusher... now that is good fooking music!

Would add Four Tet, Jon Hopkins, Daniel Avery, James Holden, Moderat and Modeselektor to that IDM category or braindance too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

That's a very disappointing announcement from Red Bull. Even the flyer suggests they're trying to create a different atmosphere. It just looks like another Bacardi Bar.

The spirit of the original 'rave in the woods' has been completely removed from EP over the past three years. I was never that into the psy-trance in the original one but it was such a unique vibe and it was unlike anything else at a large, Irish festival. But this Red Bull stage is like everything we're used to, albeit in a cool location.

I hope it's a success for everyone that attends. I'll pop my head in for Space Dimension Controller, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Here's Todd Terry @ Beatport live back in May 2014, he plays loads of classics and to be fair would have been pretty good if he was on the Bacardi stage.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/47337911

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I got my tent for the weekend sorted....

W32_PD_Sunday_UL2_77b70bb471.jpg

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

stevire wrote: »
    I got my tent for the weekend sorted....

W32_PD_Sunday_UL2_77b70bb471.jpg

Link

I just bought the "field boots" yesterday evening and was thinking same!

Aldi should market a "festival pack", change out the fishing rods for some cheap eastern euro lager, keep the sleep suit, boots, hat with led lights on it and maybe even the net (if thats how you relate to the opposite sex. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

http://www.electricpicnic.ie/news/jerry-fish-electric-sideshow-back

Nothing earth shattering but a few acts who might be worth a look.

Advertisement