Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

No Idea

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Hi Folks,

Wont feel it now! :)

Just wondering if anyone can help or possibly offer some advice on what is a pretty much unanswerable question :-/

Last year was my first EP experience and I adored it - however, I didn't camp. I was spoiled by the fact my friend had booked a cottage a few miles away.
    Anyway - this year I AM camping for the weekend.
    I've been nosing on here for advice from the veterans on camp sites/ what to bring etc and its been really helpful (thank you!).

Here's the thing - its just myself and my husband heading this year. He has a work commitment that he cant get out of on the Friday night so we'll head up Friday morning, get pitched and set up etc but then he'll have to leave in the afternoon and wont be back until Saturday morning.

Am I really, really stupid to camp on my own? I thought it would be grand until my hairdresser started telling me horror stories of camping at Oxygen years ago/ I started reading on here about the odd unfortunate event in the camp sites and I've suddenly became quite nervous and am wondering if I've been really naive - would appreciate thoughts from those of you who are more experienced in the camping areas..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone can help or possibly offer some advice on what is a pretty much unanswerable question :-/

Last year was my first EP experience and I adored it - however, I didn't camp. I was spoiled by the fact my friend had booked a cottage a few miles away.
    I've been nosing on here for advice from the veterans on camp sites/ what to bring etc and its been really helpful (thank you!).

Here's the thing - its just myself and my husband heading this year. He has a work commitment that he cant get out of on the Friday night so we'll head up Friday morning, get pitched and set up etc but then he'll have to leave in the afternoon and wont be back until Saturday morning.

Am I really, really stupid to camp on my own? I thought it would be grand until my hairdresser started telling me horror stories of camping at Oxygen years ago/ I started reading on here about the odd unfortunate event in the camp sites and I've suddenly became quite nervous and am wondering if I've been really naive - would appreciate thoughts from those of you who are more experienced in the camping areas..

You'll be grand don't worry at all! Just make sure you remember where your tent is as there'll be nobody to help you find it :D

Thank you Frozenfrozen - I think I just needed SOMEONE to tell me I'd be grand!!!
    Have been out all weekend in Galway and the fear is absolutely destroying me today - making me worry about absolutely EVERYTHING - stuff as far back as 1992. And I was only 7 then.

Noted about the tent - to be fair, its a good point - especially considering I have the sense of direction of a lost toddler. I might tie a helium balloon on it or something...

Last year, some semi naked guy ran from the crowd, LICKED my face <vomit> and ran off again. Course, coupled with the fear, I started having flashbacks about the same weirdos been camped right beside me...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Hi Folks,

You're not crazy but I'd suggest that you're very vigilant. My tent was broken into while I slept two years ago, the guy who did it did nothing to us, just took some money we hadn't hidden properly (STUPIDLY). I'd suggest you don't let campers around you know your husband will be heading off and camp near a security post if you can. If you're really worried you could just head off with our husband and return the following day.

Also you might know some acquaintances going - so make sure you ask around.

• Advertisement

Thank you Frozenfrozen - I think I just needed SOMEONE to tell me I'd be grand!!!
    Have been out all weekend in Galway and the fear is absolutely destroying me today - making me worry about absolutely EVERYTHING - stuff as far back as 1992. And I was only 7 then.

Noted about the tent - to be fair, its a good point - especially considering I have the sense of direction of a lost toddler. I might tie a helium balloon on it or something...

Last year, some semi naked guy ran from the crowd, LICKED my face <vomit> and ran off again. Course, coupled with the fear, I started having flashbacks and irrational fears about the same weirdos been camped right beside me...
    Unfair really as everyone one else was just lovely!! :)

dublinjen wrote: »
    You're not crazy but I'd suggest that you're very vigilant. My tent was broken into while I slept two years ago, the guy who did it did nothing to us, just took some money we hadn't hidden properly (STUPIDLY). I'd suggest you don't let campers around you know your husband will be heading off and camp near a security post if you can. If you're really worried you could just head off with our husband and return the following day.

Also you might know some acquaintances going - so make sure you ask around.

Oh **** Dublinjen, Im sorry that happened to you.
    Good to know thought/ make me aware.
    I'm pretty sure SOMEONE I know will be going and I do know all the guy and girls volunteering with the ambulance service there (always handy) so I should be grand.
    I dont mind pottering around on my own (only child) and did last year as my photographer friends were all working at it and had limited time 'off'.

Its just the vulnerability whilst I'm actually asleep thing and you're probably right about not making people aware I was on my own - I'm a bit dim like that..

I cant say **** here??!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

+1 on tent situation

Try to camp near a good landmark or else do the route a couple of times before darkness (or drunkenness) so that you've got it in your head. Would also add, pick a good middle ground location for camping - try to avoid being next to very large gangs or being too isolated either. Always camp in Oscar Wilde and have never had any major problems. You should be fine for 1 night

BananaR wrote: »
    +1 on tent situation

Try to camp near a good landmark or else do the route a couple of times before darkness (or drunkenness) so that you've got it in your head. Would also add, pick a good middle ground location for camping - try to avoid being next to very large gangs or being too isolated either. Always camp in Oscar Wilde and have never had any major problems. You should be fine for 1 night

Ok. Oscar Wilde? brilliant. I reckon I'll go with that.
    Hendrix sounds a little scary ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Last year, some semi naked guy ran from the crowd, LICKED my face <vomit> and ran off again. Course, coupled with the fear, I started having flashbacks about the same weirdos been camped right beside me...

Yeah - sorry about that. I'm taking my meds now so shouldn't happen again ;)

Sleep with your phone and purse under your pillow. Put your tent AWAY from trees as men tend to go to the loo around there. Maybe take it easy on the drink for the first night. There are also security scaffolds around - maybe somewhere near there might be a plan.

You will be grand! (there - now two people told you :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Only thing is don't go too close to the security scaffolds as they have generators running and make quite a bit of noise. definitely no messing goes on near them though they've got big spotlights.

I sleep with everything of value in my pockets and leave 3-4 cans by the door kind of hidden. happened a few years ago that someone came into my tent and just took the cans. turns out it was a very thirsty friend! i'd imagine someone going tent hunting would just grab the cans risk free rather than going digging for anything else and potentially waking me up

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Only thing is don't go too close to the security scaffolds as they have generators running and make quite a bit of noise. definitely no messing goes on near them though they've got big spotlights.

I sleep with everything of value in my pockets and leave 3-4 cans by the door kind of hidden. happened a few years ago that someone came into my tent and just took the cans. turns out it was a very thirsty friend! i'd imagine someone going tent hunting would just grab the cans risk free rather than going digging for anything else and potentially waking me up

I think my drink snoring reduced any fears of waking up. To be fair to ur man i had about 2 million smokes and my phone in the same bag and he literally just took the cash....we were such idiots.

That was Hendrix, I'd definitely recommend Wilde in comparison

Oh this is REALLY helpful folks - thanks a million. I know some things might appear obvious to yourselves from experience but I'm genuinely completely clueless.

Everlast - Laughed out loud that. Really did. If you COULD keep the nakedness and licking to a minimum, I reckon we'd all appreciate it. Failing that - if you could just ASK first, that'd be sound.

Trees? check. Hadn't occurred to me. I seen so many peeing willies on display last year that my innocence has been forever destroyed but the tree thing still hadnt dawned on me. Have a weak stomach so the stench would really make me miserable.

Delighted with the scaffolds advise - I think I'll put up with noise for the added security given the fact I'm a little nervous.

Frozenfrozen - nice one with the cans! I'll do this.

On the cash/ cigarettes thing - I reckon I'll leave most of it with himself and he can bring it back with him on the Saturday morning. Might be the best option to save ruining the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I cant say **** here??!!!

sh1t or shıt

unless it was the f word, in which case, use umlauts or sommat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Last year, some semi naked guy ran from the crowd, LICKED my face <vomit> and ran off again....

Bhaha I just can't help thinking of the gift grub-Eammon Dunphy character "Yea baby I wanna lick your FACE" sure it wasn't Eammon??

Keep in mind plenty of ppl do the EP solo so you'll be grand for one night!
    I don't wanna jinks myself but in all the EP's I've been to I've never had anything taken from my tent.

Ironic user name but you really need to be able to find A: the campsite and B: your tent! I wouldn't advise you rely on something like a balloon if someone takes it you're screwed.
    Best approach would be to find a good land mark tree and pitch x-amount of tents away (Don't camp under it obviously!!) if you get too disoriented you can reset back to the landmark.

Choose your tent neighbours wisely try to find an area with couples rather than large groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So EP are introducing these pallet pods as part of Boutique camping in the Trailer Park, I don't know about you's but that looks as dodgy as hell and probably will cost the price of an EP ticket to stay in for each night, will stick to my three man dome tent thank you very much.

11796402_10153513618029168_6292783167982103895_n.jpg?oh=6b7990da8df36b9b48b4b3b86c0a9acb&oe=563632C1

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Writing all this down! thanks Fatfrog

bodhrandude - I was looking at those yesterday. Seen they were €300. Stupidly, I thought that was for the whole weekend and was considering it... its per night. They are on view to the public from 2pm - 7pm each day so you have to pack up all your stuff :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

there's 9 different ones, all with different designs, it's some showcase nonsense from various different architects. they're open to the public from 2pm-7pm. you can book them through airbnb, it was €300 per night for the one i looked at.
    i'm sure some of the prissy boutique campers will gladly pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Writing all this down! thanks Fatfrog

bodhrandude - I was looking at those yesterday. Seen they were €300. Stupidly, I thought that was for the whole weekend and was considering it... its per night. They are on view to the public from 2pm - 7pm each day so you have to pack up all your stuff :-/

Yeah feck that, where would you put yer stuff for these five hours.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Oh they give you a locker or some such ****e - an awful amount of hassle to be fair. You get a power source though! ;)
    I seen in the event of 'severe' hangovers you can use a 'come back later' sign to the public BUT they've qualified this with a 'but we would appreciate your cooperation for the viewings...'

Theres no way I could spend that. With 2 of us going, it would mean (with tickets) it had cost €1300 BEFORE we even spent €6.50 a pint for the weekend...

Snarky Snark Snark

11796402_10153513618029168_6292783167982103895_n.jpg?oh=6b7990da8df36b9b48b4b3b86c0a9acb&oe=563632C1

Not sure if supposed to sleep in it or bring to Belfast and have some scooby set fire to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The thing is pmalone Body & Soul festival started turning away people with no families who had family camping tickets so perhaps this is a new thing being introduced into festivals to ensure that families get the allocated tickets. I don't know if EP has adopted this policy but since they work with Body & Soul they might be turning away family ticket holders with no families this year. Your best bet is to contact EP on facebook or the website to find this out. When the B&S festival tickets sold out, folk started jumping on the family tickets until B&S published a disclaimer stating that people with family tickets and no families would not gain admission to the festival site.

You can go into general camping with a family ticket but not vice versa. You need two things to get into family camping- a family ticket AND child(ren).

I don't really believe the above on body and soul, the only thing different on a family ticket is where you camp. Once into arena, all the same.
    I am the developer of that App. I do plan to do it again this year and include a site map like i did on the 2015 B&S and Sunflowerfest apps:

That app was the absolute business last year. Being able to put reminders and mark bands you want to see was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

I bought a VIP ticket from the O2 presale. I paid over 300euro for it. Anyone know any details about it? Where is the campsite.. Do I get a prepitched tent? I seems very expensive with very little information given.

Snarky Snark Snark

wacotaco wrote: »
    I bought a VIP ticket from the O2 presale. I paid over 300euro for it. Anyone know any details about it? Where is the campsite.. Do I get a prepitched tent? I seems very expensive with very little information given.

Pretty sure it just gets you into a "special bar/food area" with the other z-list slebs.

we the great unwashed shall await your arrival with pitchforks and wickermen ready for the great burnings.....

You don't get a tent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

€300 :eek::eek:

Was that with a general admission ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

yes with a ticket.

Snarky Snark Snark

Synode wrote: »
    €300 :eek::eek:

Was that with a general admission ticket?

sounds about right, it's a 65 squid upgrade on the pink moon camping fee to get vip access, so add a bit more than that to the price of a general admission ticket and it's in the right ball park

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

yes with a ticket.

I doubt you'll be getting into any boutique camping then. The VIP section is in the main concert area (or so I'm told)

Advertisement