Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

cormie wrote: »
    Would anyone know is it possible to increase the amount of incremental stages of audio volume? It's hard to get the volume just right sometimes as a press of volume up and it's too loud a press of volume down and it's too low :o

Was thinking the same myself last night. It would be nice if it were possible to change the sensitivity of the volume control on the side of the phone. I haven't found a way to do that, but I use PowerAmp to listen to music. It has a master volume slider which is more precise than the volume rocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does that mean you need to have volume at max on the phone itself and then control it via poweramp? I mean if the volume on the phone wasn't at max but you put the power amp slider up to max, then it wouldn't be as loud as it could go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Does that mean you need to have volume at max on the phone itself and then control it via poweramp? I mean if the volume on the phone wasn't at max but you put the power amp slider up to max, then it wouldn't be as loud as it could go?

I usually set the volume on the side to one notch below max and then set the slider in PA accordingly, which would not be loudest as that is a bit too loud. It's not ideal and doesn't fully solve the issue, but it helps.

Yeah, I generally keep it one below max too when connected via aux/bluetooth to speakers, I think I just have a feeling it'll distort on max, and then just control via the speaker panel, but have found it difficult to get an exact volume when listening direct from the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Anyone have an issue sliding down the notifcations/settings from top of the screen? Very annoying doesnt slide down for me today.

• Advertisement

Got a notification to install an xperia system update today. Is this an android update or just an update to the sony software does anyone know?

Got a notification to install an xperia system update today. Is this an android update or just an update to the sony software does anyone know?

Its an android update

about a cm of my top screen isnt working, tried the touching test in settings, in reality it means I cant scroll down notifications, very annoying. What should be my plan of action now? Who should I contact for repair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Pangea wrote: »
    about a cm of my top screen isnt working, tried the touching test in settings, in reality it means I cant scroll down notifications, very annoying. What should be my plan of action now? Who should I contact for repair?

Check if it's in warranty and then just give it to whoever you bought it from for repairs if it's still covered.

Check if it's in warranty and then just give it to whoever you bought it from for repairs if it's still covered.

Thanks, luckily its still in warranty until October, its a 2 year warranty.

I see on below link there has been numerous reports of my problem. Currently doing a Repair by PC companion to see if that solves it.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-compact/help/dead-zone-touch-screen-t3119942/page2

It looks like a hardware manufacturing problem, I wonder can I contact Sony repair myself, instead of going back to Carphone ware house (2 hour round trip)

• Advertisement

Thanks, luckily its still in warranty until October, its a 2 year warranty.

I see on below link there has been numerous reports of my problem. Currently doing a Repair by PC companion to see if that solves it.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-compact/help/dead-zone-touch-screen-t3119942/page2

It looks like a hardware manufacturing problem, I wonder can I contact Sony repair myself, instead of going back to Carphone ware house (2 hour round trip)

You can contact Sony through the Xperia care app or their website and they'll give you instructions on how to send it for repair directly.

Got it sent away via Sony, Can I use the nano sim card in older normal sim phones??

Got it sent away via Sony, Can I use the nano sim card in older normal sim phones??

Go into a three/meteor/vodaphone shop (whoever you're with) and ask for a sim adaptor.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just dragging the thread back up to say I finally took the plunge with marshmallow last night. I'm not sure if it was said previously, but features that had been noted as removed look to be still here, such as stamina mode and ultra stamina mode. All going well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

Is anyone having problems with their screen becoming loose at the top near to the proximity sensor? The screen goes blank on mine and I can't interact with the numeric keypad.
    Provider is looking €100 to fix it. Considering switching to another provider on sim-only and buying a Chinese handset instead :(
    Good phone, when working, but shocking screen quality. Never had an issue with any previous handset I had in terms of cracking screens or becoming displaced.

My screen isn't loose or cracked or anything, but pulling down the notification drawer seems to only work from one point at the top now and also my GPS isn't working very well lately either. Not very happy, my previous phones have all just fell victim to ageing technology not being able to keep pace with the latest apps and demands, not physical defects like what appears to be happening to my Z3 Compact ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I have a Z3 compact with a broken screen, works fine otherwise. Sony is asking for 120euro to repair but that's not going to happen. Has anyone used someone (significantly) cheaper to do this job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

I used a company called fonfix....based in Sandford. You can drop the phone in or post it in
    .they charge a set rate to fix phones regardless of issue

Both my front and back screens were smashed.

You need to take everything off your phone and take out sim card and memory card. The first thing they do is completely wipe the phone.

To be honest. I think they just gave me a brand new phone as the one I got back had no scratches along the edges.

Can't remember what they charge...was about 120.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Spent the day with heavy usage and marshmallow is very nice. The phone is now even snappier and I do like Google tap and go, a very handy feature.

And yet another out of nowhere problem with this phone. Now the bottom menu buttons (back/ home/ apps) aren't working :mad: The screen works fine, I even got into the testing app and cleared the screen, and the same part of the screen works fine when you need to swipe to bring up the unlock screen when you restart etc, it's just the buttons themselves don't respond at all :confused:

If anyone has any advice, please share!

• Advertisement

Is there no chance of nougat being available for this phone?

Doesn't look like it unfortunately.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

To be honest the last Android release was bad enough, battery is useless now compared to what it used to be.

Is there a cynogen mod release for this phone then that I could move to as this gets tired?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is there a cynogen mod release for this phone then that I could move to as this gets tired?

I'll be looking into prospective roms over the next few days. I still love the phone but my GPS/navigation has stopped working. There is still nothing else available that would make me buy something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Just to add some info on Sony Z3C.
    It is certified as IP65, but that's not true, at least in my case.
    I had the need to wipe some dirt off the phone some days ago. I tried with a dry and soft cloth, it mostly worked but I needed a better cleaning so I put a tiny drop of liquid soap on the cloth, wiped the glass a bit, then with a slightly damp cloth I rinsed the phone. When, I turned the phone on I saw some spots behind the front glass and I understood it was the damp from the cloth.  I switched the device off and put it into a bowl with dry rice for two days. Most of the spots are gone but I still have traces of what happened.

Has anyone else experienced weird issues with the battery life indicator?

My battery life keeps bouncing between 1%, 50% and 100% and doesn't show anything else, you can be looking at the screen and you randomly see it flick between all three values and even more weird, the battery menu is no longer listed in the settings menu and I have no way of knowing what amount of charge my battery actually has.

This morning the phone went off saying low battery, and when I turn it back on it shows the low battery symbol in the centre of the screen and does not boot-up, great, the battery must be dead. I put the charger in and the red LED light comes on the phone which indicates it is charging. However there is no charging animation on the screen.

After 20 minutes I turn phone on and it comes on, which gives me the impression it DID charge. However when I turn the phone on it again bounces between 1%/50%/100% battery. When I put the charger in when it turns on, there is no sign that it is actually charging, even though if I use USB charging, it tells me to select the method of USB connection I want, including "Charging only."

I try and do a master reset on the phone after charging for a couple of hours, which causes it to restart and now the phone is stuck in a loop which I cannot stop, where the red light and battery low indicator come on for two seconds, then switch off and endless repeats no matter what I do.

I did a successful repair using Xperia Companion, despite the fact that the phone wouldn't turn on because of "low battery" (which makes me doubt it is low) and the moment I turned the phone on afterwards it was still "Low Battery" and refused to turn on, which is somewhat strange.

After leaving it in the wall for an hour I turned it on and it came on, fully reset to factory defaults, before doing the silly 1%/50%/100% bouncing behaviour again. I took the charger out, and then put it back in again, and the phone made a sound to say it was charging, however despite this sound, the phone showed as discharging and no visual confirmation it was charging.

I then notice there is no battery menu in settings unless I search for it using the magnifying glass, and the phone tells me that battery data is not avaliable. I searched for the word Stamina Mode, and after several times of me pressing to start it just as the battery said 1% and refusing, I finally got it to go into Stamina mode by timing the confirmation to when it was 100%.

After that it tells me it has 843 hours of battery life remaining, and 100% of battery, flicking to 50% and 421 hours and occasionally flicking to 1% and 1 minute. Needless to say I am keeping it in Stamina Mode until I get a sim card converter and a throw away phone to replace it whilst I RMA it to Sony.

Has anyone had experience with RMA returns to Sony?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

Anyone know how to enter a NAC in the compact. Got mine from vodafone but can't figure out where to enter it?

Advertisement