Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just got the push notification on my Z3c and I'm on the three network.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

talkto wrote: »
    I hadn't heard about this problem, and I use Bluetooth audio a lot. Relieved I didn't get to update, now.

I thought it was my bluetooth headset going strange, but I guess it's down to the new version. It cuts out for the odd second every now and then

One point bluetooth stopped outputting audio completely and I had to restart the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭talkto

delly wrote: »
    Just got the push notification on my Z3c and I'm on the three network.

I picked up my phone just now and it was 50% through automatically downloading Marshmallow. It never asked me if I wanted it or not, it just went ahead and started downloading it, while my phone was on standby. Bizarre.

Anyway, I'm going to let it go ahead with the installation and hope I don't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

barneyrub wrote: »
    Anyone had any problems with signal reception on the compact?
    Lost all network couple days ago. Assumed my sim was corrupted somehow but got replacement sim today and not working.
    I thought I read somewhere that if you disabled google now app it solved that problem. If I find the link, I will post it.

I have Marshmallow now for 36 hours.

I haven't noticed any problems yet, although personalising the Do Not Disturb feature seems to be more difficult to implement than it was previously.

Besides that, things seem mostly the same as they were in Lollipop. I don't use things like Google Now on Tap or Google Cards, so that's irrelevant to me.

Bluetooth audio seemed to be working fine for me yesterday.

• Advertisement

Disaster for me.

- Not being able to use spotify on the lock screen.
    - Lack of true silent mode that also allows on screen notifications.
    - Notifications hiding behind lock screen.
    - Random crashes on opening of apps (the app doesn't even open, I just touch it and it tells me it stop responding)
    - Reduced battery life (need to charge at least once a day now)
    - Buggy Bluetooth Audio that is not fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I'm on 3 and still haven't gotten my over the air update for Marshmallow on my z3 Compact, have tried checking the software update app and plugged into pc companion and nada, says I'm up to date on 5.1.1

Any ideas?

6.0.1 out on Vodafone for standard Z3.

Apparently a few minor fixes in there, my experience so far is that bluetooth audio seems better, however still issues with notifications on lock screen that appear to have got worse, it seems silent/do not disturb, which in 6.0.0 was not showing all alerts shows nothing at all now.

I woke up this morning to a blank lock screen staring at me with no flashing LED, swiped to unlock and found 2 x SMS, one missed call and various app notifications. Is it really so hard to go back to the old behaviour of having a silent mode so you are not disturbed by sounds but still having notifications showing?

The amount of times Android have changed this behaviour backwards and forwards in the last two years is crazy, surely the whole point of silent mode is you are not disturbed by sounds. The way it's been implemented you may as well have the phone in airplane mode or turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sharkey 25

Hi lads

My z3 has stopped taking charge. The funny thing is this happened when at 50% battery. Since last note the battery level hasn't dipped below 50%. Has anyone ran into this issue before? Any solutions?Hopefully I can avoid a repair

Edit: I've used the diagnostics on the handset and it picks up the charger, but the charging light is not on and the level stays at 50%. Also battery status says discharging.
    Thanks

Phones clapped out now, dammit looks like a repair. Any got any voodoo tricks to share?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can anyone recommend a good VR headset to suit the Z3c?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I tried updating my Z3c through pc companion the other day.

It failed. Every time I plug it in I get stuck in a loop of the Sony logo and "your software didn't install correctly..."

The phone wont charge. The phone wont turn on.,

I have tried reconnecting it holding the power and the volume key.

Nothing is working

I am at my wits end.....Please help. The sony forums are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Have you tried the repair option via the PC software?

Maybe get in touch with Sony directly...I think they have a online chat option.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

My Z3 Compact has been prompting me to do upgrade the system software (1007mb - probably the upgrade to the latest android version) for the last few days but because of what I've read on here with silence notifications etc I'm not too pushed about it. Has anyone else just ignored the upgrade because of this? Or have those who have upgraded, noticed any improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

brevity wrote: »
    Have you tried the repair option via the PC software?

Maybe get in touch with Sony directly...I think they have a online chat option.

Its gone back to the meteor shop now. It was still under warranty. Pain in the asss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

My z3 compact is f*cked since downloading the last update, soon as I make or recieve a call the phone locks until the call has ended, can't get to the keypad, change volume, hang up or even turn off the phone. Plus the call drops for a seconds seconds quite regularly now.

I did the software repair but no joy so I'll have to send it back to sony.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

cormie wrote: »
    My Z3 Compact has been prompting me to do upgrade the system software (1007mb - probably the upgrade to the latest android version) for the last few days but because of what I've read on here with silence notifications etc I'm not too pushed about it. Has anyone else just ignored the upgrade because of this? Or have those who have upgraded, noticed any improvement?
    I'm the same, it's the first upgrade that I haven't just jumped straight into. The constant notification is a head wrecker, like a little poke every time I need to check my now squished pull down menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

I'm the same, it's the first upgrade that I haven't just jumped straight into. The constant notification is a head wrecker, like a little poke every time I need to check my now squished pull down menu.

I know what you mean.

Every evening I get the prompt and every evening I delay by 24 hours...very tempted to choose the never option!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

My father is having a problem with his Z3. He's missing calls because he can't get the call answer option to swipe across when the phone is ringing no matter how many times he cleans the screen. Anyone else experience this?

"Android System has stopped unexpectedly"

I'm getting this error message a lot. It started a few weeks after upgrading to Marshmallow, but I don't know if it's related to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

talkto wrote: »
    "Android System has stopped unexpectedly"

I'm getting this error message a lot. It started a few weeks after upgrading to Marshmallow, but I don't know if it's related to that.
    Sounds like an app is incompatible with Marshmallow rather than the phone. The only way to ever find out is running your phone in safe mode for a few hours. If the problems disappears, then it will confirm the problem is an app not the phone. If it happens in safe mode, you might need to reflash the version of Android through Sony PC Companion.
    Testament1 wrote: »
    My father is having a problem with his Z3. He's missing calls because he can't get the call answer option to swipe across when the phone is ringing no matter how many times he cleans the screen.

Would say it sounds like screen problems but not if it only happens with the dialer. Try a different dialer and see if it makes a difference
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hb.dialer.free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Mine is after getting quite sluggish in the last week or so, stuttering and unresponsive.

Can someone remind me what's the problem with the volume/silent issue from the lock screen? I was putting upgrading off, but would you believe, it some how started the upgrade process while in my pocket so I'm not on Marshmallow even though I was happy to hold off, but I don't notice any big difference with the volume so not sure what the problem was?

On saying that, I'm having a lot of trouble with this phone going mad in my pocket, any time I'm doing any activity and moving my legs a bit, if I take my phone out, it's almost always lit up on the unlock screen and will sometimes say "wrong unlock code entered too many times, try again in 30 seconds".

I think I preferred it before when you had to swipe a certain way first to then unlock, swiping anywhere pulls hte unlock screen up too easily.

No notifications show up on lock screen when phone in silent, or very very few, a lot of notifications hide 'behind' the lock screen and you can only see them after unlocking.

Also no spotify controls on lock screen and unlocking the phone automatically clears all lock screen notifications whether you dismiss them or not.

The patch release a few weeks back returns the LED notification though when in silent.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll keep an eye out for all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

I know what you mean.

Every evening I get the prompt and every evening I delay by 24 hours...very tempted to choose the never option!

Dunno if this is a permanent fix, but I just got rid of the update notification by going to Setting -> Apps -> All -> Software Update and clear data

Edit: update notification comes back if you restart the device, feckin divil started to download automatically too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Noticed since the upgrade that my Z3Compact battery is nowhere near as good, tempted to do a reset. The stamina mode is a big miss.

Hi all

I come looking for help

Last night my z3 was under water as it has been many times before and I've had. no issues until now.
    Today the screen if not responding as usual. Its only the key board and bezels. It I press a letter and anther letter will type. It's still usable but a bit annoying. Typing this message is taking twice as long as usual.
    Also I've just noticed moisture behind the camera lens, making for a hazy photo.
    My question is does this void the warranty? All the seals were closed on the device.
    Has anyone had a similar issue? I don't mind going to a independent shop to get a repair. Any ideas how much I might be looking at for repair?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Do a seal air pressure test* to see if the seals are still working.

TBH, I'd recommend opening the ports and putting it in a bowl of rice for a few days, or just phone xperia care and ask for a repair.

1. dial *#*#7378423#*#*
    2. go to "Service Tests"
    3. go to "pressure sensor"
    4. slightly compress the phone using your thumb and index finger by pressing on the display and back

• Advertisement

Would anyone know is it possible to increase the amount of incremental stages of audio volume? It's hard to get the volume just right sometimes as a press of volume up and it's too loud a press of volume down and it's too low :o

Advertisement