Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This isn't related to lollipop as it was happening before the update but sometimes I'd add a contact, it would "check contacts" and would appear fine, but then the next time I go to contact I notice the contact I saved is no longer there. I've thousands of contacts as I use my phone for business and use a customer number sequence so it's easy to notice when the previous contact hasn't saved properly and it's happened a few times on me now :( Hasn't yet happened with lollipop but I did notice when lollipop loaded, the last contact I had saved on KitKat was no longer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Just updated. Keep getting a warning sign saying Google play services needs updating. I open it and it only says uninstall or open. Clicked uninstall which then gave option to update which I did. Warning notification still popping up at the top...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

toby2111 wrote: »
    Just updated. Keep getting a warning sign saying Google play services needs updating. I open it and it only says uninstall or open. Clicked uninstall which then gave option to update which I did. Warning notification still popping up at the top...

I had the same, but it appears to have downloaded in the background. Error message is gone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

That happened to me as well, I cleared the notification and it went away. Quite annoying tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

I just pressed back to go into the landing page of the app if you know what I mean and it went away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Same thing happened to me, I just restarted the phone & it went away.

The way lollipop manages silent mode is a real pain in the arse too.

Yeah, one of my handiest apps that I used, more often than I even noticed, was Widgetsoid which put a little toggle widget on my home screen, one of the toggles was a quick switcher between Sound+Vib/Vib/Silent, now when I click it it goes Sound+Vib/Vib/Priority and doesn't go to silent on another push :( Not sure if it's best waiting a widgetsoid update (probably won't come if lollipop has been out 6 months already) or just disable priority altogether and make priority my silent mode..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Same thing happened to me, I just restarted the phone & it went away.

Agree 100% on this one. Total PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A few things annoy me with the update. First, having to swipe up instead of right is annoying, considering I've been doing the latter for 6 months. Only small, but will get used to it.

Second, the way you have to tap the pull-down menu after, well, pulling it down to open up the options is annoying. Can't really see the point of it. Why pull down the notification bar if you already know there are no notifications?

Lastly, the amount of transparency added means some colour schemes look ugly. I changed my colour scheme to one of the default Sony white schemes and it looks better. But before that, there were clashing colours all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dublindiehard

Quick trick for silent mode is to just push the volume rocket up or down and then touch the silent option that comes up.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of any kind of LED notifications?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Has anyone else noticed the lack of any kind of LED notifications?

Yes! Was going to look into that next. I had presumed that it was because I had my phone in Priority Mode when the notification came in. I'll do some more tests and see.

Need to read up on what the Priority Mode does. Not sure how I feel about that yet!

Biggest pain for me so far is having to swipe and then enter a passcode to unlock. That extra swipe is pointless. Add your votes here to have it removed: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79889

But delighted to see that indeed, proper SD Card functionality is back (albeit with a few extra hoops to jump through for it to be enabled per application).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dublindiehard

they're actually turned on in the notifications menu but there doesn't seem to be anything more than an on and off switch, I could have swore you have some customisation ability before?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

I've just noticed on the notifications in lock screen you can only have them fully there or not at all. If you pull down from the top in lock screen you only get your shortcut things, no notifications. Anyway around this? I don't wan't full notifications in lock screen and if you clear them from there they're gone from the pull down too

Also, some random hipster artists have appeared in my google music "recently activity". Feck off you clowns

Maybe I was hacked. Dunno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Agree 100% on this one. Total PITA.

This has apparently been addressed in 5.1.

On the battery drain issue I've only seen issues when using Exchange Active Sync. It's a known issue in 5.0 that it can get caught in a loop and indeed it ripped 50% of my battery in little over 2 hours. Since turning off exchange I've not had any battery issues.

Overall and I've been using it for a few weeks on a Z3C it looks a lot better and the only performance issue I have is at times when transitioning between screens the wallpaper moves but the icons/screens do not.

Is Exchange Active Sync what manages the syncing between any updates and Google Calendar/contacts etc? I rely on this syncing very much and don't like the idea of having to turn it off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

cormie wrote: »
    This isn't related to lollipop as it was happening before the update but sometimes I'd add a contact, it would "check contacts" and would appear fine, but then the next time I go to contact I notice the contact I saved is no longer there. I've thousands of contacts as I use my phone for business and use a customer number sequence so it's easy to notice when the previous contact hasn't saved properly and it's happened a few times on me now :( Hasn't yet happened with lollipop but I did notice when lollipop loaded, the last contact I had saved on KitKat was no longer there.
    I know you have probably already done this, but thought i would suggest it anyway again on the off chance you have not done it....

Check whether your contacts are saved:
      -on sim card
      -on storage (phone)
      -on google servers

Open the contacts/people app, bottom right 3-dot menu, select export the contacts to storage - they should sync to google servers automatically unless this option is disabled. Then in Settings/options in Contacts, change it to show contacts from Google as opposed to sim or storage.

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure I have them saved on Google servers only, I don't use phone or sim contacts at all and everything is saved to Google, as soon as I save a contact, it usually shows up on my gmail contacts immediately, just sometimes, I'll save it, all appears fine, only to realise it removes the saved data and where the new name I would have given the number in my call history shows up, it reverts back to just the number and there's no trace of the saved contact I made for that number.

Second, the way you have to tap the pull-down menu after, well, pulling it down to open up the options is annoying. Can't really see the point of it. Why pull down the notification bar if you already know there are no notifications?

Figured this out. Pulling down the menu with two fingers does it the old way. Slightly less irritating, but I can get used to it, I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Is Exchange Active Sync what manages the syncing between any updates and Google Calendar/contacts etc? I rely on this syncing very much and don't like the idea of having to turn it off :(

No. That's your normal google account that keeps those in sync. The Exchange Active Sync is if your work email and calendar is run off exchange and you're syncing that to your phone. I have my work calendar and email syncing to my phone and it's that EAS that can get caught in the loop of constantly syncing.

• Advertisement

Figured this out. Pulling down the menu with two fingers does it the old way. Slightly less irritating, but I can get used to it, I guess

I think you can achieve what you want by swiping down and swiping down again, it will bring down another menu, is that what you're after?
    No. That's your normal google account that keeps those in sync. The Exchange Active Sync is if your work email and calendar is run off exchange and you're syncing that to your phone. I have my work calendar and email syncing to my phone and it's that EAS that can get caught in the loop of constantly syncing.

That's a relief to know, but hope it's sorted soon for your sake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Got it last night. It looks great. It uses great. I really like it.

Just 2 issues.

1. I now have to swipe up to get to the swipe pattern unlock screen. How can I change this?

2. I want to use VLC to open video files when using chrome instead of chromes internal player, how do I do this?

I think you can achieve what you want by swiping down and swiping down again, it will bring down another menu, is that what you're after?

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Having to make two swipes (or a swipe and tap) to do the same thing that a single swipe did before. Pretty trivial, but still annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

How do you close the all apps at once, I dont see an option since I updated.

Pangea wrote: »
    How do you close the all apps at once, I dont see an option since I updated.

The feature has been removed altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

statto25 wrote: »

Pity, as I liked that. Now it takes a little longer but I just swipe the apps closed as opposed to pressing the x on each one.
    Another thing, there used to be a little plus sign at top left of pages which would bring up another tab straight away. Now, we have to press the 3 little dots at top right, then new tab. Why are they making us do extra steps? Just like the double unlock screen, it's pretty annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

statto25 wrote: »

Another PITA

Especially with Chrome where each individual url is an extra swipe!

Another PITA

Especially with Chrome where each individual url is an extra swipe!

You can change that by going into Chrome Settings and under Basic there is a merge tabs and apps option. Turn it off and only apps will appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

I find the battery is lasting way better with the update. Love the new notifications layout, and the material design is so nice to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

No LED notifications at all?

What a fail.

Makes using the phone in silent mode now completely useless since you have to keep turning the screen on all the time.

Advertisement